The Elusive 8th: Dwight Meikle

• 17 replies
The Elusive 8th: Dwight Meikle
« on: January 14, 2011, 11:45:12 AM »
During a stretch of time in the middle of October, into November, 2010, it seemed news broke nearly every week, announcing another top recruit was headed to Queens, New York to play for Coach Steve Lavin and what some have dubbed the “reborn” St. John’s Red Storm. By the end of the early signing period, eight players had signed their names on the dotted line, including six ESPN Top 100 recruits and a highly-regarded Junior College guard. There was, though, one name, the elusive eighth, with which few were familiar, that of Quality Education Academy’s (N.C.) Dwight Meikle.

Read More
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Wods317

Re: The Elusive 8th: Dwight Meikle
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 01:28:38 PM »
Nice article, I haven't heard much about Meikle. It's nice to learn a little about him and I think he along with Polee will see some big time at PF next year. Both he and Polee could bulk up a little more because at this point one them if not both will be playing some center when Pelle is out.

Moose

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 11:17:08 PM »
Nice article, I haven't heard much about Meikle. It's nice to learn a little about him and I think he along with Polee will see some big time at PF next year. Both he and Polee could bulk up a little more because at this point one them if not both will be playing some center when Pelle is out.

He is not 6'8.  And he can't play PF
Remember who broke the Slice news

Wods317

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 11:24:06 PM »

Everything I have read lists him from 6'7 to 6'9 so maybe he's not exactly 6'8 but hes got to be close. A far as playing PF that is something that can develop, I know he is a perimeter player now but we have a ton of those so he will have to play the four to find consistent PT.

Moose

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 11:56:15 PM »

Everything I have read lists him from 6'7 to 6'9 so maybe he's not exactly 6'8 but hes got to be close. A far as playing PF that is something that can develop, I know he is a perimeter player now but we have a ton of those so he will have to play the four to find consistent PT.

Saw him today.  I'm not saying he's a bad player but he's not a PF.  He doesnt have room to fill out and seems more comfortable on the wings.  He fouled out in 10 minutes today playing wing.  Imagine down low? And he's closer to the 6'7 than he is to 6'8 or 6'9.

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 01:39:49 AM »
howd him and pointer do
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Moose

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 07:52:58 AM »
howd him and pointer do

I wrote a pretty long recap with another poster on Redmen.

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 09:55:53 AM »
howd him and pointer do

Come on lazy bones. Copy/paste if you don't feel like typing it up again.

Moose

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 04:31:07 PM »
howd him and pointer do

I'd rather link it but that might cause some unrest :)

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2011, 06:04:24 PM »
howd him and pointer do

I'd rather link it but that might cause some unrest :)

smh not cool

Marillac

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2011, 08:10:54 PM »

Saw him today.  I'm not saying he's a bad player but he's not a PF.  He doesnt have room to fill out and seems more comfortable on the wings.  He fouled out in 10 minutes today playing wing.  Imagine down low? And he's closer to the 6'7 than he is to 6'8 or 6'9.

I'm not disagreeing with you in any way, but I can't understand why he's not a PF in your mind.  From what I've read his best skills are rebounding and blocking shots.  Is it just because he's really frail?  If that is the case, I'm sure he can put on 25 pounds by the end of his freshman year.

Moose

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, 08:42:53 PM »

I'm not disagreeing with you in any way, but I can't understand why he's not a PF in your mind.  From what I've read his best skills are rebounding and blocking shots.  Is it just because he's really frail?  If that is the case, I'm sure he can put on 25 pounds by the end of his freshman year.

He doesn't have the frame to put on that much weight, trust me.  He is small framed when you compare him to broad shoulder kids who will fill out.  Like a Harkless for example.  We won't be playing a traditional lineup regardless.  But I don't see him getting minutes at the 4 over Sampson and even Harkless though I'm hesitant to play him at the 4.  It's really the only signing that is baffling to me.  But I have faith in this staff.

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2011, 08:57:23 PM »
Nice interview...nice to get a feel for what they think they can do and how the coaches view their skills.

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2011, 09:04:42 PM »

He doesn't have the frame to put on that much weight, trust me.  He is small framed when you compare him to broad shoulder kids who will fill out.  Like a Harkless for example.  We won't be playing a traditional lineup regardless.  But I don't see him getting minutes at the 4 over Sampson and even Harkless though I'm hesitant to play him at the 4. It's really the only signing that is baffling to me. But I have faith in this staff.

We'll never see this kid touch the floor. Kind of unfortunate but it will play out like that.

Moose

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2011, 09:51:59 PM »

He doesn't have the frame to put on that much weight, trust me.  He is small framed when you compare him to broad shoulder kids who will fill out.  Like a Harkless for example.  We won't be playing a traditional lineup regardless.  But I don't see him getting minutes at the 4 over Sampson and even Harkless though I'm hesitant to play him at the 4. It's really the only signing that is baffling to me. But I have faith in this staff.

We'll never see this kid touch the floor. Kind of unfortunate but it will play out like that.

?
We'll then why not ask out of his LOI.

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2011, 11:01:26 PM »

?
We'll then why not ask out of his LOI.

It's an unfortunate but realistic scenario. We'll see how it plays out.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2011, 10:06:41 AM »

It's an unfortunate but realistic scenario. We'll see how it plays out.
Qualification problems? Or simply the crunch of talented players?! With a limited number of schollies, a good 2012 class, and a need for big men, why would the staff offer and accept his commitment?  That doesn't seem logical that he'd never see the floor.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2011, 10:07:17 AM »
Also, to Dan - nice piece.