Jonathan Severe - SG - Christ the King HS - New York, N.Y. - FORDHAM

• 676 replies

Poison

Re: Jonathan Severe - SG - Christ the King HS - New York, N.Y. - FORDHAM
« Reply #660 on: November 29, 2013, 03:00:31 PM »
There have always been, and will always be, Jon Severe-type players who high majors will pass on in favor of higher upside guys.  I'm beyond content with this year's roster - problem is execution and coaching, not a missing piece.

I'm confused as to how you've determined that Severe is a "mid major" player? Don't get me wrong, I'm content w our roster as well. I think we 'll get better. I'm fine with some of our pieces sitting and watching. 12 guys weren't going to play every game.

That said, Lavin has made it a point to recruit "shooters" in Hooper and Bourgault etc. what level are they if Severe comes into college ball putting up 25 points per game against Syracuse and a tough Manhattan team, and he's a "mid major" player?

Severe has taken advantage of his opportunity. At this point, I think it's fair to ask how many games will coach let Hooper use to get comfortable? This is his 3rd year of college. Marco was up and down last year, and mostly down, but at least he had moments. He torched Uconn. Maybe it's time to change the record.

« Reply #661 on: November 29, 2013, 03:40:28 PM »
There have always been, and will always be, Jon Severe-type players who high majors will pass on in favor of higher upside guys.  I'm beyond content with this year's roster - problem is execution and coaching, not a missing piece.

I'm confused as to how you've determined that Severe is a "mid major" player? Don't get me wrong, I'm content w our roster as well. I think we 'll get better. I'm fine with some of our pieces sitting and watching. 12 guys weren't going to play every game.

That said, Lavin has made it a point to recruit "shooters" in Hooper and Bourgault etc. what level are they if Severe comes into college ball putting up 25 points per game against Syracuse and a tough Manhattan team, and he's a "mid major" player?

Severe has taken advantage of his opportunity. At this point, I think it's fair to ask how many games will coach let Hooper use to get comfortable? This is his 3rd year of college. Marco was up and down last year, and mostly down, but at least he had moments. He torched Uconn. Maybe it's time to change the record.
I didn't say he was anything other than a guy who signed with a low end A10 team after local high majors took a pass.   My point was that there will always be guys who are borderline HM out of high school who will perform at the college level somewhere else.  I could see being upset about it if we didn't have a 9 man rotation flush with highest level talent.  He'd be our 5th guard and would probably not impact our team that much due to limited opportunity.

« Reply #662 on: November 29, 2013, 04:11:03 PM »
He is playing in the A-10, so it's not that much of a drop off in competition. 

Severe would have made a good 6-8th man on a top 25 team.  Severe would have made a good 6-7th man on SJ's roster too.

Poison

« Reply #663 on: November 30, 2013, 04:57:47 PM »

Severe would have made a good 6-8th man on a top 25 team.  Severe would have made a good 6-7th man on SJ's roster too.

The nice part of this thread is that we'll all have some answers on Dec 7th.

« Reply #664 on: November 30, 2013, 06:08:52 PM »

The nice part of this thread is that we'll all have some answers on Dec 7th.
That's right.  At least a lot of us get a look up close and personal. I won't be at the game, but look forward to the analysis of Severe's game/skill level.

Marillac

« Reply #665 on: November 30, 2013, 09:07:18 PM »
Was there this kind of uproar on this board when we didn't recruit Jimmer?

I don't see the "uproar". Plain and simple, Severe made the right choice going to Fordham. He is getting more immediate playing time than here, gets to attend a better school and is and will be a big fish in a small pond. Why waste time on this? I hope he does well, but not against us.

I just see posters saying we made a mistake not recruiting him. Maybe they are right, but all other high majors made the same mistake. I agree, he made the right choice. Maybe we could have used him, but not sure we could even guarantee him PT anyway. I hope he continues his great play. Glad to see him do well. And good job by Chilleb recognizing his talent.

We have two slow "shooters" coming off the bench for us. Combined in 5 games, they've made one 3 pointer. They drawn zero fouls. It's a pretty terrible start. If this continues, then yes, you'd have be delusional to think we couldn't used this kid.

As for those suggesting that he couldn't play at the BE level, Hooper and Bourgault haven't shown that they can play at a D1 level, so your point doesn't hold up at all.

He'd be on the bench on this team like the rest of our "shooters."

Disagree.  Like the shooters from Wisconsin, he can do the other stuff well enough to stay on the court.  He would not get the same time of minutes he's getting at Fordham, but I think this kid transfers by the end of next year. 

« Reply #666 on: December 01, 2013, 12:06:25 PM »
Was there this kind of uproar on this board when we didn't recruit Jimmer?

I don't see the "uproar". Plain and simple, Severe made the right choice going to Fordham. He is getting more immediate playing time than here, gets to attend a better school and is and will be a big fish in a small pond. Why waste time on this? I hope he does well, but not against us.

I just see posters saying we made a mistake not recruiting him. Maybe they are right, but all other high majors made the same mistake. I agree, he made the right choice. Maybe we could have used him, but not sure we could even guarantee him PT anyway. I hope he continues his great play. Glad to see him do well. And good job by Chilleb recognizing his talent.

We have two slow "shooters" coming off the bench for us. Combined in 5 games, they've made one 3 pointer. They drawn zero fouls. It's a pretty terrible start. If this continues, then yes, you'd have be delusional to think we couldn't used this kid.

As for those suggesting that he couldn't play at the BE level, Hooper and Bourgault haven't shown that they can play at a D1 level, so your point doesn't hold up at all.

He'd be on the bench on this team like the rest of our "shooters."

Disagree.  Like the shooters from Wisconsin, he can do the other stuff well enough to stay on the court.  He would not get the same time of minutes he's getting at Fordham, but I think this kid transfers by the end of next year. 
Could be a transfer type of player like Luke Hancock.

« Reply #667 on: December 01, 2013, 01:13:47 PM »
Eli carter type?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #668 on: December 01, 2013, 01:26:15 PM »
Eli carter type?
Yep, Carter too.  I guess I did the dreaded "oreo" comparison that much of the board (Moose?) says we avoid - lol

paultzman

« Reply #669 on: June 01, 2014, 11:29:49 AM »
Hmm. Not enough shots, lol?

@Jsevere23: I will be making a hard decision soon. So much on my mind.

« Reply #670 on: June 01, 2014, 11:38:40 AM »

Saw this coming.  I don't think his teammates enjoying plAying with him

« Reply #671 on: June 01, 2014, 11:50:25 AM »

Saw this coming.  I don't think his teammates enjoying plAying with him

Some chatter out there that Eric Paschall is not happy he committed there. Just rumors, but we'll see. Tom P is in a challenging position.

I went to Fordham/VCU game. The other guards didn't even want to look at Severe

hnk

« Reply #672 on: June 01, 2014, 11:59:57 AM »
Did he sign his LOI?  Does he have an outside shot?

« Reply #673 on: June 01, 2014, 12:35:27 PM »
Pitt?

paultzman

« Reply #674 on: June 01, 2014, 12:53:30 PM »
@NYPost_Brazille: I'm told the Jon Severe tweet was not about basketball. Some come off the ledge, Fordham fans.

« Reply #675 on: June 01, 2014, 01:20:15 PM »
@NYPost_Brazille: I'm told the Jon Severe tweet was not about basketball. Some come off the ledge, Fordham fans.

This might put some Fordham fans on the ledge

paultzman

« Reply #676 on: November 26, 2014, 02:23:36 PM »
A lot of chatter out there that he will leave Fordham.