Re: around the big east
« Reply #2160 on: June 09, 2014, 09:28:31 PM »
Fwiw, I would have the Big East at 8
Well, the Beast was at #4 for Conference RPI on CBS Sports:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/bracketology/conference

« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 09:31:37 PM by bball purist »

« Reply #2161 on: June 10, 2014, 12:13:14 AM »
Seton Hall?  I guess you guys think that Whitehead is going to be an immediate impact player, and same with Delgado (assuming he ends up there).  I think Sina will be a nice role player in time, but unless Whitehead or Delgado are really good freshman, or Mobley steps up like some thought he would this year, Gibbs is going to need A LOT of help.

I think Nova, then some combination of Georgetown/St. John's/Xavier.  Providence if it picks up some guys in the transfer game.  Henton is the most underrated player in the conference IMO, Dunn will be back and Green will probably be better, but they lost a lot in Cotton, Fortune and Batts.

Whitehead is a 5 star recruit it'd be much more surprising if he wasn't really good than if he was like you seem to be implying.

Poison

« Reply #2162 on: June 10, 2014, 10:32:53 AM »
Seton Hall?  I guess you guys think that Whitehead is going to be an immediate impact player, and same with Delgado (assuming he ends up there).  I think Sina will be a nice role player in time, but unless Whitehead or Delgado are really good freshman, or Mobley steps up like some thought he would this year, Gibbs is going to need A LOT of help.

I think Nova, then some combination of Georgetown/St. John's/Xavier.  Providence if it picks up some guys in the transfer game.  Henton is the most underrated player in the conference IMO, Dunn will be back and Green will probably be better, but they lost a lot in Cotton, Fortune and Batts.

Whitehead is a 5 star recruit it'd be much more surprising if he wasn't really good than if he was like you seem to be implying.

I have every expectation that he'll be very good. There's no reason to believe he won't be. Yet. The only thing that I think will hold him back this coming season is the lack of proven talent on Seton Hall's roster. Who do they have? Say Whitehead can come right in, and produce as well as Edwin did as a senior. Wouldn't they still lose 20 games?

paultzman

« Reply #2163 on: June 10, 2014, 11:15:18 AM »
@GaryParrishCBS: Former Big East rivals Georgetown and Syracuse have reached a deal on a four-year home-and-home series that starts in 2015-16.

Johnny23

« Reply #2165 on: June 10, 2014, 12:52:22 PM »
Whitehead looks about as college ready as you can be. I think he steps right in and will be a leading candidate for BEROY. Gibbs is coming into his own and Sina developed nicely at the end of last year. Add Delgado and I think Seton Hall is the sleeper team to finish in the top 3 in the conference next year.

« Reply #2166 on: June 10, 2014, 03:51:59 PM »
Hoya I think he'll be a very good freshman -- wasn't suggesting otherwise.  But do I think he'll be first team all-conference?  I don't.  And I think for Seton Hall to be top 3 he'll have to play at that level.

« Reply #2167 on: June 10, 2014, 08:01:21 PM »
Whitehead looks about as college ready as you can be. I think he steps right in and will be a leading candidate for BEROY. Gibbs is coming into his own and Sina developed nicely at the end of last year. Add Delgado and I think Seton Hall is the sleeper team to finish in the top 3 in the conference next year.

Whitehead, Gibbs, Sina is not top 3...maybe a team that makes team work on certain nights but not top 3

« Reply #2168 on: June 10, 2014, 10:29:22 PM »

I have every expectation that he'll be very good. There's no reason to believe he won't be. Yet. The only thing that I think will hold him back this coming season is the lack of proven talent on Seton Hall's roster. Who do they have? Say Whitehead can come right in, and produce as well as Edwin did as a senior. Wouldn't they still lose 20 games?

Exactly, let's not forget they lose 4 of their top 5 players including their top guard, their top wing and their top 2 bigs plus Geraminpoor.  Only Whitehead was a treasured recruit outside the metro NYC area.  Plenty of 5 star recruits have entered the fray and played well but not their teams due to overall team talent and depth. 

« Reply #2169 on: June 11, 2014, 12:23:58 PM »

Whitehead, Gibbs, Sina is not top 3...maybe a team that makes team work on certain nights but not top 3

Is Whitehead, Gibbs, Sina much worse than Harrison, Jordan, Branch(or Greene)?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 12:24:25 PM by hoyahooligan »

« Reply #2170 on: June 11, 2014, 12:41:31 PM »
I think that group is a pretty far drop if Jordan plays as I think he will next year

« Reply #2171 on: June 11, 2014, 12:42:07 PM »

Much worse? no. Would you or I take those three over st johns three? I doubt it. Gibbs is a real solid player but I wouldnt take him over harrison ever. Whitehead has yet to play a game but have no doubt he will be a really really  good college player, Rysheed on the other hand has already got a year under his belt and the potential to explode. Sina is a solid third guard and I might take him over phil, but would much rather have branch.

Is gtowns backcourt better than either?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #2172 on: June 11, 2014, 07:42:10 PM »

Not as good...and Whitehead is a freshmen...Jordan (and most freshmen) struggle...only top 5 freshmen dominate...he is not going to dominate

« Reply #2173 on: June 12, 2014, 09:51:47 PM »

Much worse? no. Would you or I take those three over st johns three? I doubt it. Gibbs is a real solid player but I wouldnt take him over harrison ever. Whitehead has yet to play a game but have no doubt he will be a really really  good college player, Rysheed on the other hand has already got a year under his belt and the potential to explode. Sina is a solid third guard and I might take him over phil, but would much rather have branch.

Is gtowns backcourt better than either?

Well right I worded the question because yes Seton Hall's is worse that St. John's, but I don't think there's a huge drop off. I mean obviously no one can KNOW since players improve in the off season and who knows for sure how freshman will perform. Jordan could come back and be considerably better than he was last year which was pretty good or he could just make an incremental improvement. Sina was a freshman too and could make a considerable leap as well( not that those players are on the same level).

As for our back court I obviously would take DSR over any other of the players and I think Jabril, Peak, and Campbell will make a formidable back court. And with what we have at SF, PF, and C I like where we sit.

« Reply #2174 on: June 12, 2014, 10:22:48 PM »
You take DSR over Harrison?  I think they are comparable players.  However, D-Lo has never played with a guard as good as Starks.  I think Jordan can get there, but Starks was a really good player for you guys.

« Reply #2175 on: June 13, 2014, 08:19:56 PM »
You take DSR over Harrison?  I think they are comparable players.  However, D-Lo has never played with a guard as good as Starks.  I think Jordan can get there, but Starks was a really good player for you guys.
DSR over Harrison? THe question is DSR over Jordan...Jordan is much better athlete...if Jordan improves consistency of his jumper and confidence develops, DSR vs. Jordan is no walkover

paultzman

« Reply #2176 on: July 02, 2014, 01:44:46 PM »
Smart move by WoJo;

@jerrymeyer247: Minnesota transfer Wally Ellenson tweeted that he will play basketball at Marquette. Brother of 2015 5-star Henry Ellenson

paultzman

« Reply #2177 on: July 15, 2014, 12:36:40 PM »
@_robanderson: Stu Jackson named Senior Associate Commissioner, Men’s Basketball for @BIGEAST. Had been @NBA's ex-Executive Vice President, Basketball Ops.

paultzman

« Reply #2178 on: July 28, 2014, 10:07:24 AM »
Nice review of Butler for upcoming season from Creighton blog;

https://creighton.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1663262

paultzman

« Reply #2179 on: July 30, 2014, 06:37:40 PM »
@PaintTouches: Source confirms to PT that Todd Mayo is no longer with the Marquette program. @RealGM reported first. #mubb

@PaintTouches: Mayo will pursue a professional career, likely to sign with D-League with hopes of entering name in next year's NBA Draft. #mubb