Around Big East

• 3954 replies
Re: around the big east
« Reply #2180 on: July 30, 2014, 09:18:07 PM »
@PaintTouches: Source confirms to PT that Todd Mayo is no longer with the Marquette program. @RealGM reported first. #mubb

@PaintTouches: Mayo will pursue a professional career, likely to sign with D-League with hopes of entering name in next year's NBA Draft. #mubb

Man its been a tough stretch for them. Will allow young guards to develop though.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

paultzman

« Reply #2181 on: August 03, 2014, 01:38:26 PM »

paultzman

« Reply #2182 on: August 06, 2014, 11:11:47 AM »
@jmverlin: Turns out Villanova is playing VCU in the Legends Classic semifinals, Nov. 24 at Barclays: http://t.co/tUGXl893NT

paultzman

« Reply #2183 on: August 11, 2014, 01:26:49 PM »
@bluejaybanter: Tonight, we continue our Big East basketball preview with a look at @StJohnsBBall -- we'll be joined by Red Storm head coach @SJUCoachLavin.

paultzman

« Reply #2186 on: September 03, 2014, 12:26:26 PM »
@HolyLandofHoops: According to @KevinMcNamara33 - Sporting News hoops preview predicts Top 4 #bigeast teams as Villanova, Georgetown, Xavier, and Providence.

Poison

« Reply #2187 on: September 03, 2014, 01:55:57 PM »
@HolyLandofHoops: According to @KevinMcNamara33 - Sporting News hoops preview predicts Top 4 #bigeast teams as Villanova, Georgetown, Xavier, and Providence.

Nova and GTown I get, but didn't Xavier lose Christian? And didn't Providence lose 4 starters? Lotta faith in Cooley.

« Reply #2188 on: September 03, 2014, 02:30:00 PM »

Basically Georgetown, Xavier, Providence, St. John's and Seton Hall I think are those contending for 2-6 and NCAA bids.
Nova and GTown I get, but didn't Xavier lose Christian? And didn't Providence lose 4 starters? Lotta faith in Cooley.

I think it's mostly because Georgetown, Xavier, and Providence brought in the top 3 recruiting classes in the big east this year, plus both Xavier and PC made the tournament last year. Xavier lost Christian and Martin but return everyone else and brought in a great recruiting class, PC lost 3 starters, but brought in a very good recruiting class and will no longer have 0 bench like they did last year. They're certainly reasonable picks.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 02:39:23 PM by hoyahooligan »

« Reply #2189 on: September 03, 2014, 03:06:22 PM »

Basically Georgetown, Xavier, Providence, St. John's and Seton Hall I think are those contending for 2-6 and NCAA bids.

I think it's mostly because Georgetown, Xavier, and Providence brought in the top 3 recruiting classes in the big east this year, plus both Xavier and PC made the tournament last year. Xavier lost Christian and Martin but return everyone else and brought in a great recruiting class, PC lost 3 starters, but brought in a very good recruiting class and will no longer have 0 bench like they did last year. They're certainly reasonable picks.

He picked Georgetown what 6th and Blue Jays 4th

paultzman

« Reply #2190 on: September 05, 2014, 03:00:28 PM »
Nice pick up by Marquette, 2015 SG;

http://247sports.com/Player/Haanif-Cheatham-24281

paultzman

« Reply #2191 on: September 10, 2014, 05:38:33 PM »
As expected;

@phillipshoops: Stevenson 2015 point guard Jalen Brunson has committed to Villanova.

Great get by Wright

paultzman

« Reply #2192 on: September 10, 2014, 05:57:56 PM »
DP is such a mess.

@JonRothstein: DePaul has dismissed Charles McKinney for a violation of team rules, per the school. Would have been potential starter.

« Reply #2193 on: September 10, 2014, 08:17:07 PM »
Yeah Purnell is going to have to pull a rabbit out of the hat to survive past this year.

Boy DePaul is going to have to eat a lot of money in that buyout.

« Reply #2194 on: September 11, 2014, 10:34:55 AM »
DP is such a mess.

@JonRothstein: DePaul has dismissed Charles McKinney for a violation of team rules, per the school. Would have been potential starter.

He has been charged with 3 counts of battery, after an altercation with campus security:

http://wgntv.com/2014/09/10/depaul-basketball-player-off-the-team-after-battery-charges/

paultzman

« Reply #2195 on: September 29, 2014, 10:09:47 AM »

desco80

« Reply #2196 on: October 07, 2014, 08:52:44 PM »
Did anybody else notice that Georgetown has a game at MSG again thus season?
They play Indiana, except this year I don't think it's part of  any double header.

Troubling trend.

paultzman

« Reply #2197 on: October 08, 2014, 09:18:27 AM »
They play Indiana, except this year I don't think it's part of  any double header.

Troubling trend.
Yeah, MSG is becoming less of a recruiting factor with everyone and his mother playing there. Not to mention our poor crowds. The only solution is winning and attracting  strong, loud crowds like that Hardy/Pitt game. Lately for the most part the MSG atmosphere for our games has been mediocre at best. The big question is when will SJU get back on a winning track on a consistent basis to get attendance to a solid level?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 09:19:16 AM by paultzman »

desco80

« Reply #2198 on: October 08, 2014, 09:36:06 AM »

Troubling trend.
Yeah, MSG is becoming less of a recruiting factor with everyone and his mother playing there. Not to mention our poor crowds. The only solution is winning and attracting  strong, loud crowds like that Hardy/Pitt game. Lately for the most part the MSG atmosphere for our games has been mediocre at best. The big question is when will SJU get back on a winning track on a consistent basis to get attendance to a solid level?

Exactly right.   I don't fault MSG for scheduling games they can sell.   Although it is a little slick on Georgetown's part to try to play on our home court every season. 

But ultimately it's on us to make SJU games an in-demand event.

« Reply #2199 on: October 08, 2014, 10:06:50 AM »

Troubling trend.

Exactly right.   I don't fault MSG for scheduling games they can sell.   Although it is a little slick on Georgetown's part to try to play on our home court every season. 

But ultimately it's on us to make SJU games an in-demand event.

Sorry I'm not sorry.

1) Georgetown has a ton of Alumni in NYC (duh everyone does, but it's the #2 city for GU alums after DC), plus it's great exposure.
2) Georgetown Will have played a game at MSG besides vs. St. John's or the BET  4 out of the last 6 years and 6 total games in NYC in that time outside of the BET and vs. St. John's with us playing 2 games at Barclays 2 years ago in addition to playing Texas in MSG that year.  That year the Hoyas played 6 games in NYC including St. Johns and the BET. St. John's played 10 in those 2 arenas that year.