Around Big East

• 3954 replies
Re: around the big east
« Reply #2400 on: December 22, 2014, 06:48:33 AM »
I think it is improved but can we all now relax on the BE being this elite (on the level of the ACC) conference for awhile. If it weren't for SJU and Villanova with big rallies at home (and quite frankly Nova got outplayed and deserved to lose) this would have been a complete disaster of a weekend for the BE. Let's be clear the ACC has 3 teams: Duke, Louisville and Virginia (really being underappreciated in my mind that is a Final Four caliber team) that are all better than Villanova. Period. Deeper and more talented. And Villanova is the deepest and best BE team by a country mile!!! They have another who has as much talent as Nova if not more that has clearly underachieved so far but you can see they will be big time by the end of year, North Carolina. They have another ND who has one loss (granted that was to a BE team in Providence by a point in Connecticut) and Syracuse is not vintage but they showed they have enough young talent that they will win some games against good teams later in the year. That was a gift they gave Villanova. Again the League is improving Georgetown and Xavier even with some early losses will be legit in the League. But you saw all those tweets from a few weeks ago with the BE W/L record 38-3 nonsense, that stopped pretty quick no??? LOL!!

Why are you so sure that Louisville and Virginia are better than nova? 
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #2401 on: December 22, 2014, 10:59:09 AM »
I think it is improved but can we all now relax on the BE being this elite (on the level of the ACC) conference for awhile. If it weren't for SJU and Villanova with big rallies at home (and quite frankly Nova got outplayed and deserved to lose) this would have been a complete disaster of a weekend for the BE. Let's be clear the ACC has 3 teams: Duke, Louisville and Virginia (really being underappreciated in my mind that is a Final Four caliber team) that are all better than Villanova. Period. Deeper and more talented. And Villanova is the deepest and best BE team by a country mile!!! They have another who has as much talent as Nova if not more that has clearly underachieved so far but you can see they will be big time by the end of year, North Carolina. They have another ND who has one loss (granted that was to a BE team in Providence by a point in Connecticut) and Syracuse is not vintage but they showed they have enough young talent that they will win some games against good teams later in the year. That was a gift they gave Villanova. Again the League is improving Georgetown and Xavier even with some early losses will be legit in the League. But you saw all those tweets from a few weeks ago with the BE W/L record 38-3 nonsense, that stopped pretty quick no??? LOL!!

Because I watched all 3 and I have no doubt on a neutral floor that both Virginia and Louisville would be significant favorites over Nova.
Virginia, next to Kentucky, is the best defensive team in the country. 

paultzman

« Reply #2402 on: December 22, 2014, 11:40:27 AM »
Harrison on honor roll & 
@BIGEAST: #BIGEASTmbb weekly awards released. @NovaMBB's Pinkston & @MarquetteMBB's Wilson pick up honors.  http://t.co/GVUk57Q1aU

« Reply #2403 on: December 22, 2014, 01:16:29 PM »
Because I watched all 3 and I have no doubt on a neutral floor that both Virginia and Louisville would be significant favorites over Nova. Virginia, next to Kentucky, is the best defensive team in the country.

I disagree. Outside of Kentucky and maybe duke I think nova can play with any team in the country. They have proven that so far  

« Reply #2404 on: December 22, 2014, 02:41:54 PM »
Because I watched all 3 and I have no doubt on a neutral floor that both Virginia and Louisville would be significant favorites over Nova. Virginia, next to Kentucky, is the best defensive team in the country.
I disagree. Outside of Kentucky and maybe duke I think nova can play with any team in the country. They have proven that so far
I didn't say they "couldn't play with anyone" I said Virginia and Louisville are better.  And they are.  What you are saying is any top 15 team can play with any top 15 team essentially.  But that is not the point I am making.
If you put them on a neutral floor right now who would be favored?  That is my point.  The ACC has THREE teams if not more at or quite frankly ABOVE Nova in stature.

« Reply #2405 on: December 22, 2014, 02:47:50 PM »
Very simply put with regards to overall strength of conference, ask Villanova who would they rather face in a  3 game stretch right now:

SJU, Butler and Georgetown?  Or Duke, Virginia and Louisville?

Would take them about 2 seconds to answer that.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 02:48:18 PM by fordham96 »

paultzman

« Reply #2406 on: December 22, 2014, 02:51:32 PM »
Very simply put with regards to overall strength of conference, ask Villanova who would they rather face in a 3 game stretch right now: SJU, Butler and Georgetown? Or Duke, Virginia and Louisville? Would take them about 2 seconds to answer that.
Have to agree. Bennett btw is one of the great defensive minds in the game. Good genes.

« Reply #2407 on: December 22, 2014, 03:01:54 PM »
I didn't say they "couldn't play with anyone" I said Virginia and Louisville are better. And they are. What you are saying is any top 15 team can play with any top 15 team essentially. But that is not the point I am making. If you put them on a neutral floor right now who would be favored? That is my point. The ACC has THREE teams if not more at or quite frankly ABOVE Nova in stature.

Okay what you said was significant favorites. What is significant? At the garden would Virginia be favored over Nova? Im not sure they would be, but I do know that if they were it would not be significant. 

TONYD3

« Reply #2408 on: December 22, 2014, 03:05:19 PM »
The problem with the big east isn't the top. Our top 4 teams are good. After Xavier conference goes down pretty fast. We need Creighton, Butler,  Seton Hall, and Providence not to suck. 

desco80

« Reply #2409 on: December 22, 2014, 03:11:30 PM »
bad losses by Creighton and Seton Hall yesterday.   Didn't see the scores till today.  

« Reply #2410 on: December 22, 2014, 03:54:00 PM »
I didn't say they "couldn't play with anyone" I said Virginia and Louisville are better. And they are. What you are saying is any top 15 team can play with any top 15 team essentially. But that is not the point I am making. If you put them on a neutral floor right now who would be favored? That is my point. The ACC has THREE teams if not more at or quite frankly ABOVE Nova in stature.
Okay what you said was significant favorites. What is significant? At the garden would Virginia be favored over Nova? Im not sure they would be, but I do know that if they were it would not be significant.

Yes they would be a 5-6 point favorite right now. 

« Reply #2411 on: December 22, 2014, 03:57:58 PM »
The problem with the big east isn't the top. Our top 4 teams are good. After Xavier conference goes down pretty fast. We need Creighton, Butler, Seton Hall, and Providence not to suck.
All conferences have bad bottom's.  When the BE was a 16 team monster it still had South Florida, Rutgers, DePaul, SJU and SHU that consistently did little or nothing.  The ACC is no exception they will have some weak teams.
Your top needs to be VERY STRONG though.  The ACC will have a very STRONG top especially if UNC rebounds in conference play.  Have multiple top 2-3 seeded teams in the NCAA.  This BE conference does not.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #2412 on: December 22, 2014, 04:16:45 PM »
The problem with the big east isn't the top. Our top 4 teams are good. After Xavier conference goes down pretty fast. We need Creighton, Butler, Seton Hall, and Providence not to suck.
All conferences have bad bottom's. When the BE was a 16 team monster it still had South Florida, Rutgers, DePaul, SJU and SHU that consistently did little or nothing. The ACC is no exception they will have some weak teams. Your top needs to be VERY STRONG though. The ACC will have a very STRONG top especially if UNC rebounds in conference play. Have multiple top 2-3 seeded teams in the NCAA. This BE conference does not.
So far the BE is doing better then last year and hopefully they do better in March which is more important. I do take pleasure that a lot if the teams that left other conferences for greener pastures are struggling. The BE just needs to keep getting better every year, and more importantly the conference needs consistently good teams...To include SJU representing NYC and the Garden.
Cougar O' Malley

TONYD3

« Reply #2413 on: December 24, 2014, 11:39:46 AM »
Depaul lost by 20 to Ohio yesterday. Amazing that they are so terrible.

« Reply #2414 on: December 25, 2014, 05:28:21 PM »

They lost again today to LMU.  I think it is a foregone conclusion that Purnell is a goner the question is do they wait to seasons end to pull the plug of do they do it now like they did with Wainwright 5 years ago with a mid-season firing.  I don't think they have an AD either.

Poison

« Reply #2416 on: December 25, 2014, 06:33:20 PM »
They lost again today to LMU. I think it is a foregone conclusion that Purnell is a goner the question is do they wait to seasons end to pull the plug of do they do it now like they did with Wainwright 5 years ago with a mid-season firing. I don't think they have an AD either.
Why should he be a goner? Maybe they can't do any better than Oliver Purnell? 

desco80

« Reply #2417 on: December 27, 2014, 12:37:54 PM »
This Georgetown - Indiana is shaping up to he a good game.  Two underrated teams.

Also, having both Greenberg and Calhoun analyzing the game is giving viewers a good coach's perspective.  Better announcing than I'm used to hearing. 

« Reply #2418 on: December 27, 2014, 12:42:17 PM »
Calhoun is surprisingly a great announcer. Enjoy him way more than I ever thought I could.

desco80

« Reply #2419 on: December 27, 2014, 12:48:07 PM »
Calhoun is surprisingly a great announcer. Enjoy him way more than I ever thought I could.
+1

As a man he's pretty awful, but he does appreciate the Big East and traditional east coast basketball.  And his comments during the game are about strategy and play, not intangibles, grit or other bs.   
He's recognizes good play, not just the big play.