Harrison suspended rest of the year

• 537 replies

paultzman

Re: Harrison suspended rest of the year
« Reply #220 on: March 01, 2013, 05:21:58 PM »
....With him STJ can be a top 10 team next year and he will be the captain.

I'm not saying we don't have reason to be excited about next season, but lets not get carried away.   

Well said Desco! Being competitive and relevant is fine with me.

redslope

« Reply #221 on: March 01, 2013, 05:45:18 PM »
For all of us who are parents, it is interesting to hear Coach say D'angelo was given a "time out".  We have all used that with our kids as they have grown up. 
I hope that he will stay, return to the team and graduate from SJU.  It would be something that could enhance his chances for a career in BB after college as it would show tremendous growth and maturity as a person. 
As I noted after the Pitt game, I thought he wasn't there at 1 for 12; heck Phil can do that any night.  The team will get on, particularly if Branch has recovered.

« Reply #222 on: March 01, 2013, 05:56:21 PM »
http://www.redstormsports.com/allaccess/?media=376185

I was feeling down about this program again when I heard the news this morning (after just having some optimism again with the Sanchez/BE news). But after listening to Lav's press conference, my outlook has changed. IMO, this is a coach who is trying to build a sustainable, national program. He has been laying the groundwork and foundation since he was hired, unfortunately with unforeseen bumps in the road along the way (cancer, death of father). He is creating a culture and setting a standard that all players he recruits need to live up to. Honestly, it shouldn't be that hard for the players to hold up their end of the bargain given the amount of resources available to these "student"-athletes these days. But like Lavin said in the press conference, everyone matures at a different pace. D'Angelo's history is well documented and I think his recent play/continuing body language makes it pretty obvious that mentally he is just not in a good place right now.

While we all want to win and win now, I think a good coach like Lavin always has to look at the big picture. He mentioned the importance of building a program the right way, holding players accountable and setting a standard. If you do that first (and recruit well obviously), winning games will happen next. Not the other way around. He said he was taught that by his father and his mentors in coaching (ie John Wooden). Which is funny because it has been widely publicized that Howland has at times lost complete control of the UCLA program thanks to players like Josh Smith and Reeves Nelson to name a few.

All in all, yes I would love to have Harrison here the rest of the season and make one last push to dance. But realistically, our max potential for this season is what? An 11/12 seed in the Tourney and a first round exit? I'd rather have Harrison mentally focused and on board for what could be a breakthrough year for this program in 2013-2014. I say kudos to Coach Lavin for making this decision...

« Reply #223 on: March 01, 2013, 05:59:09 PM »

I'm not saying we don't have reason to be excited about next season, but lets not get carried away.
Actually a pretty mild opinion from someone that considers Amir to be an "incredible" player. :)  (No knock on Amir or Marillac).

« Reply #224 on: March 01, 2013, 06:02:55 PM »
Roll over, ask joe3 to start a Lavin meter on Big East Boards and you'll get your answer!

See up until this dolt started posting I actually liked Maine. I enjoy Lobster and Stephen King. Never new they had a football team though or that some goofball would actually think people would be impressed that someone was a QB for Maine. Unless it was HS football which just makes it even more sad.

What is actually supremely impressive is people who think it is impressive to berate somebody on a college basketball forum. You and Foad must have some really sad lives. So bitter. Just nothing but confrontational posts on every topic. Also, do you actually think there is anybody at all who cares, even a small amount, about what states you used to like, what kind of seafood you enjoy, or the type of literature you find entertaining? Idiot.

As for D'Lo.... I think he'll be back. He has a lot of heart he just seems to have some deeper issues. He has pride in his jersey and he will be back. It will make for a great media story too when he is an all american next year.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 06:06:27 PM by nrmax88 »

Foad

« Reply #225 on: March 01, 2013, 06:10:50 PM »
What is actually supremely impressive is people who think it is impressive to berate somebody on a college basketball forum. You and Foad must have some really sad lives. So bitter. .. Idiot.

Fans of irony take note.

« Reply #226 on: March 01, 2013, 06:15:14 PM »
Look we all know that in college ball the coach is also the GM. Responsible fo evry aspect includin bringin in the players. So yeah some of this ultimately falls on Lav.

But it also come down to personal responsibility and adhereing to rules - both written and unwritten.

There was no felony committed here. Just a series of misdemeanors that was never learned from despite consistent warnings.

This is bigger than dlo anyway. It's about program building. It about establishing an attitude of responsibility and selflessness when it comes toyour teammates and coaches. Quite honestly, it's refreshin to see.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #227 on: March 01, 2013, 06:19:13 PM »
Everybody is getting a little chippy.   Lets keep it above the belt.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

paultzman

« Reply #228 on: March 01, 2013, 06:20:08 PM »
Look we all know that in college ball the coach is also the GM. Responsible fo evry aspect includin bringin in the players. So yeah some of this ultimately falls on Lav.

But it also come down to personal responsibility and adhereing to rules - both written and unwritten.

There was no felony committed here. Just a series of misdemeanors that was never learned from despite consistent warnings.

This is bigger than dlo anyway. It's about program building. It about establishing an attitude of responsibility and selflessness when it comes toyour teammates and coaches. Quite honestly, it's refreshin to see.

Choz, not to put you on the spot, but do you have confidence Lavin will build a solid, sustainable program in the near future? Thanks!

MCNPA

« Reply #229 on: March 01, 2013, 06:30:39 PM »

Choz, not to put you on the spot, but do you have confidence Lavin will build a solid, sustainable program in the near future? Thanks!

It doesn't look that way now?  Ncaa's his first year, rebuild entire roster second year, bubble team 3rd year, likely NCAA team 4th year with full roster and balanced mix of player's.  Looks like we are there, despite suspending D'Lo the rest of this season. 

paultzman

« Reply #230 on: March 01, 2013, 06:32:45 PM »

It doesn't look that way now?  Ncaa's his first year, rebuild entire roster second year, bubble team 3rd year, likely NCAA team 4th year with full roster and balanced mix of player's.  Looks like we are there, despite suspending D'Lo the rest of this season. 

I would not say we are there yet. "Solid and Sustainable" are my key words. Marquette level of success. IMO, we are not on that level, but sought Choz' opinion if we are on track for that.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 06:34:55 PM by paultzman »

MCNPA

« Reply #231 on: March 01, 2013, 06:36:55 PM »
My question was just for you.  How can you predict sustainability?  What if coach Lavin leaves.  Our conference wasn't even sustainable and we are an entirely new league next year.  I was just responding by saying that it looks like classic rebuild back to NCAA level team.  The formula seems on track. Ncaa's, rebuild roster, bubble team, experienced and likely NCAA- bound team.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 06:41:17 PM by MCNPA »

paultzman

« Reply #232 on: March 01, 2013, 06:40:23 PM »
My question was just for you.  How can you predict sustainability?  What if coach Lavin leaves.  Our conference wasn't even sustainable and we are an entirely new league next year. 
I prefer not to go on and on with you on this. All I was asking is Choz, whose opinion I respect, confident we have the right leadership to be consistently competitive. For the most part I feel we do.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 06:41:24 PM by paultzman »

Poison

« Reply #233 on: March 01, 2013, 06:40:46 PM »

When we head into the BE tourney at 16-14, we are not a bubble team. We are fighting for a chance to play in the NIT. At the end of the day, the coach is judged on the entire product. This one is still incomplete. Let's see if we roll over or surprise everyone.

MCNPA

« Reply #234 on: March 01, 2013, 06:42:31 PM »
My question was just for you.  How can you predict sustainability?  What if coach Lavin leaves.  Our conference wasn't even sustainable and we are an entirely new league next year. 
I prefer not to go on and on with you on this. All I was asking is Choz, whose opinion I respect, confident we have the right leadership to be consistently competitive. For the most part I feel we do.

Sorry Paultzman.  If you didn't want anybody responding, maybe you should have PM'd Choz.

« Reply #235 on: March 01, 2013, 06:59:57 PM »
Side note I hope D'Angelo's girl continues to come to games. Whoa....
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Moose

« Reply #236 on: March 01, 2013, 07:03:05 PM »

Yes sir.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #237 on: March 01, 2013, 07:13:30 PM »
What is actually supremely impressive is people who think it is impressive to berate somebody on a college basketball forum. You and Foad must have some really sad lives. So bitter. .. Idiot.

Fans of irony take note.
LOL
Yeah, pot calling kettle black and all that
Actually I am a pretty happy guy how bout you Fun?

And for the record Stephen King started it and in fact follows me around threads like a love sick puppy
Also I thought I would point out that I have in fact never even been warned by a moderator over three boards and lots of posts, so suck it, guy whose posts I have never seen before

Poison

« Reply #238 on: March 01, 2013, 07:19:43 PM »

She's Sampson's girl now.

« Reply #239 on: March 01, 2013, 07:27:50 PM »

After seeing the video of Lavin talking about the situation, I actually feel much more confident Harrison will come back. He stated "I want to finish my career here, I want to get my degree here" according to Lavin, so those are pretty strong statements and I'm glad to hear it. If I were Lavin I would offer the school's Psych department as a resource to help him control his emotions and keep a clear head. On the Queens campus there is a center for that kind of stuff. I know many teams have sports psychologists as well, so if we have one, I would suggest he consult him first. He can be taught relaxation techniques, deep breathing, etc. for every time he gets a bad call, every time he misses a shot, etc. It could only help.

I trust coach's decision but I just hope to god that this turns out to be the right thing because we need Harrison for next year. Getting Jordan will help, but he will only be a freshman in a sea of veterans so he likely won't reach his potential when everyone else is in our window for winning which is really next year and possibly the next. Though Harrison probably deserved it with an incident we won't know about for a while if ever, I still feel bad for the kid. He pours his heart and soul into the game and watching every game I can assure you he did get robbed on a lot of calls notably more than other players pretty consistently. That doesn't excuse bad behavior at practice though towards teammates and especially coaches. I really hope within the next few weeks or at least over the summer he announces he will definitely come back after clearing his head. The NCAA tourney was already a severe stretch even with him...Branch still isn't the same yet either so I really view next year as "the year" assuming Harrison stays.

I saw someone mention the top 10...please let's not get ahead of ourselves. To be a top 10 team you have to be a monster of a team. I would be thrilled to see us at #25, so let's not set ourselves up for disappointment already. If Harrison comes back and really solves his mental issues or at least greatly reduces them, I don't see why this team cannot be a top 4 team next year in the new conference.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 07:28:31 PM by RedStormyNight »