Kevin Parrom - SF - South Kent - Bronx, NY - ARIZONA

• 287 replies
Re: Kevin Parrom - SF - South Kent - Bronx, NY - XAVIER
« Reply #220 on: April 14, 2009, 09:14:04 PM »
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/11629672

Xavier promotes assistant coach...Chris Mack
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #221 on: April 14, 2009, 10:29:07 PM »
http://w3.nbebasketball.com/index.ph...ate/#more-4366

KEVIN PARROM UPDATE
NYC native will have Big East options if opts out of Xavier LOI

By Pat Stevens

There are new developments with Kevin Parrom and his recruiting situation as the days go by with the head coach he committed to play for at Xavier having left to take the job at Arizona.

Parrom, a listed 6-foot-6 wing, is from the Bronx, N.Y. and played at St. Raymond’s High School (N.Y.) then transferred to South Kent School (CT) for his senior year this season, along with teammate at St. Ray’s and St. John’s recruit Omari Lawrence. The two are part of the New York Panthers on the grassroots circuit.

The process of getting out of his letter of intent is expected to happen this week and a source close to the situation says several schools have inquired to those around Parrom about what he would be doing.

Providence and Rhode Island made sense as early thoughts being that they were listed by him in his initial process, and word is Parrom would be interested in taking an unofficial visit with a hopeful date of this coming Monday if a release from the LOI with Xavier is granted prior to that.

Pittsburgh and St. John’s also previously offered Parrom and both were said to have asked about his situation, along with Connecticut and Boston College.

Arizona is in the picture as well. It should be noted that former Xavier and now Arizona head coach Sean Miller hired Emmanuel Richardson at Xavier and offered him to join the staff at Arizona as well, which Richardson accepted. Richardson is a New Yorker who helped recruit Parrom to Xavier.

“The opportunity to go to Arizona would be there if he wants it and the thought is if he doesn’t like it he can always transfer,” another source said.

The same source also spoke of UConn’s interest and mentioned a likely St. John’s player leaving the program, which would allow the scholarship room to add Parrom or another player. As reported here last week, 5-10 point guard Malik Stith of Bridgton Academy (ME) is expected to visit St. John’s this coming weekend.

Parrom played this weekend with the Panthers at IS8 in New York where he scored 24 points in a win. He’ll play in the Jordan Brand Regional Game this weekend at Madison Square Garden. Practice for the game is this evening in New York.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #222 on: April 14, 2009, 11:42:28 PM »
Now it's time to speculate on who else might leave the program...

« Reply #223 on: April 15, 2009, 12:16:49 AM »
Norm could give basketball scholarship to either Parrom or Stephenson and acedamic scholarship to Stith.

« Reply #225 on: April 19, 2009, 09:29:16 AM »
http://saintjohns.scout.com/a.z?s=443&p=2&c=857871&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2fsaintjohns.scout.com%2fa.z%3fs%3d443%26p%3d2%26c%3d857871
Kevin Parrom Re-opens Recruiting 

Kevin Parrom  By Denny Conroy
Associate Editor
Date: Apr 18, 2009

Kevin Parrom, a 6-foot-6, 200-pound shooting guard / small forward from New York City and South Kent School in Conn., has been granted his release from the National Letter of Intent he signed with Xavier this past November.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #226 on: April 19, 2009, 03:58:35 PM »
The Arizona "dry heat" is hot as hell.  St. John's, Kevin, St. John's.

Hopefully Norm can lock him up.

« Reply #227 on: April 19, 2009, 04:14:48 PM »
i would love to have kev. watching him play while at south kent over the internet, he seemed like a 6'6 point guard, maybe not an every possession walk the ball up the court pg but he can rebound it and go while making great decisions. and he can shoot
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #228 on: April 19, 2009, 04:20:39 PM »
I'm reporting that St. John's is very much in the mix for Kevin Parrom. Zona is another possible destination and UConn is showing a lot more interest in Kevin than Kevin is showing in UConn at this point in time. It's very possible that Kevin could join Omari in attending St. John's. I'm gonna have something set up to chat with Kevin this week.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #229 on: April 19, 2009, 04:24:07 PM »
I'm reporting that St. John's is very much in the mix for Kevin Parrom. Zona is another possible destination and UConn is showing a lot more interest in Kevin than Kevin is showing in UConn at this point in time. It's very possible that Kevin could join Omari in attending St. John's. I'm gonna have something set up to chat with Kevin this week.

Great scoop Dave! This would be some recruiting class!

« Reply #230 on: April 19, 2009, 04:29:41 PM »

good stuff.

no matter how much anyone dislikes norm's recruiting, a class of parrom, omari and lance would be very impressive.

« Reply #231 on: April 19, 2009, 06:14:16 PM »

That would be great news.  Arizona is awfully far away.  A different world out there.  Hopefully Omari can reel him in for us.

When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Tha Kid

Re: Kevin Parrom - SF - South Kent - Bronx, NY
« Reply #232 on: April 20, 2009, 08:27:22 AM »
This is great news!  Is parrom better today than dj and/or paris or would he come off the bench year 1?
"I drink and I know things"

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #233 on: April 20, 2009, 10:05:56 AM »
Can't see Norm benching either of those guys unless it's for Lance, but if he comes in being a great defender or turnover-maker, maybe.

Poison

« Reply #234 on: April 20, 2009, 12:10:52 PM »
I personally think that DJ is a very good role player.
If we land Parrom or Lance he could lead a nice group off the bench.

We need to be able to legitimately fill a position when someone needs to be yanked. DJ could cover 3 positions, and if he gets stronger, at times 4 positions.

Paris is a starter. He defends and he scores. With another strong summer, he could return and up his average to 16/17 a game.

pmg911

« Reply #235 on: April 20, 2009, 01:26:59 PM »

Paris is a starter. He defends and he scores. With another strong summer, he could return and up his average to 16/17 a game.

If Paris Horne is averaging 16/17 pts next season we are in a lot of trouble.

He should be a major contributor next season but if they sign Lance I think he will definately see his minutes cut.

« Reply #236 on: April 20, 2009, 01:46:17 PM »

If Paris Horne is averaging 16/17 pts next season we are in a lot of trouble.

He should be a major contributor next season but if they sign Lance I think he will definately see his minutes cut.

Yea I'm not sure what to make of minutes quite yet but Paris does a lot of his scoring in transition and without dominating the ball. I think Paris scores a sneaky 12ppg off of 8 shot attempts per game next season.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #237 on: April 20, 2009, 02:04:05 PM »
I'll add one point - Paris can be deadly efficient, I think.  We talk about people being ball hogs and the like but I am not convinced that Mase or Horne are actually that kind of player; Horne shot a LOT more (adjusting for minutes) in 09 than he did in 08, and his efficiency fell off that the end of the year... I think he would be better suited as a defense-first/ open three-point shooter + finisher role.  All of which can be done better with fewer minutes.

DJ Kennedy's the one I would worry about; he made a lot of plays with the ball in his hands.  And no matter who comes in, I think that he needs to do that a little less, lose some of the myopic slash for a foul (and maybe look for the interior players more), because his touch is decent, but not money inside.

« Reply #238 on: April 20, 2009, 02:29:04 PM »
DJ gets a good amount of garbage points too by hitting the offensive boards. I think that aspect of his game was lost a little due to the fact he had to be a creator at times. I think both players will benefit from adding Omari, Lance, and Parrom(just the sound of that is awesome).

« Reply #239 on: April 20, 2009, 04:29:09 PM »
http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/04/20/famous-to-south-florida/

Famous to USF. Zona was also recruiting Famous and now that he is off the board does this intensify their interest in bringing in Parrom?