Bashir Ahmed - SF - JFK - Bronx, NY - ST. JOHN'S

• 458 replies

paultzman

Re: Bashir Ahmed - SF - JFK - Bronx, NY
« Reply #60 on: May 30, 2015, 03:46:36 PM »
@AdamZagoria: JUCO wing Bashir Ahmed took an unofficial to Rutgers today, source tells @SNYtv . Recently visited St. John's too.

« Reply #62 on: July 12, 2015, 06:28:36 PM »
Adam Zagoria ‏@AdamZagoria  ยท 46m46 minutes ago   Avalon, NJ   
St. John's saw 2016 JUCO wing Bashir Ahmed this weekend in St. Louis

paultzman

« Reply #63 on: July 16, 2015, 10:54:42 AM »
This probable JC first team AA will be a Johnny I sense;

@NYPost_Brazille: To give #sjubb fans idea of what staff thinks of top JUCO target Bashir Ahmed: Mullin, Slice and Matt A all went to see him last week.

paultzman

« Reply #64 on: August 10, 2015, 11:50:37 AM »
@NYPost_Brazille: Elite JUCO prospect Bashir Ahmed to visit #sjubb weekend of Sept. 26 for official, source confirms. @JonRothstein had it first.

Moose

« Reply #65 on: August 10, 2015, 11:51:39 AM »
@NYPost_Brazille: Elite JUCO prospect Bashir Ahmed to visit #sjubb weekend of Sept. 26 for official, source confirms. @JonRothstein had it first.

Hey Gil

Are you still feeling good here?
Remember who broke the Slice news

paultzman

« Reply #66 on: August 10, 2015, 12:03:39 PM »

Hey Gil

:) Btw, congrats on winning that PGA event yesterday. Dead ringer? :)

Moose

« Reply #67 on: August 10, 2015, 01:13:24 PM »

Hey Gil

:) Btw, congrats on winning that PGA event yesterday. Dead ringer? :)

I shaved :)
Remember who broke the Slice news

paultzman

« Reply #68 on: September 01, 2015, 08:51:58 PM »
@JucoRecruiting: Bashir Ahmed (6'6/G/2016) from Hutchinson CC will take official visits to Cincinnati (Sept 18) & St. John's (Sept 26) http://t.co/kXNTi2TvRt

@JucoRecruiting: Bashir Ahmed will also take an official visit to Lousiville in late September, but exact date hasn't been finalized http://t.co/AB2Qu9gtZ4
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 08:55:06 PM by paultzman »

« Reply #69 on: September 01, 2015, 08:57:31 PM »
@JucoRecruiting: Bashir Ahmed (6'6/G/2016) from Hutchinson CC will take official visits to Cincinnati (Sept 18) & St. John's (Sept 26) http://t.co/kXNTi2TvRt

@JucoRecruiting: Bashir Ahmed will also take an official visit to Lousiville in late September, but exact date hasn't been finalized http://t.co/AB2Qu9gtZ4

Well the last weekend of September is Friday 9/25 thru Sunday 9/27 which is SJU's visit.  Unless he takes a visit during the middle of the week not sure how it can be in "late September?"

wpc77

« Reply #70 on: September 01, 2015, 09:47:02 PM »
Signing in the early period in November?

pmg911

« Reply #71 on: September 02, 2015, 07:33:22 AM »
I know Rutgers is feeling very good about landing this kid.

I didn't know Louisville was that involved.

paultzman

« Reply #72 on: September 02, 2015, 09:21:48 AM »

Sense it is a two program race: SJU & Rutgers. We'll see.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 09:31:28 AM by paultzman »

« Reply #73 on: September 02, 2015, 10:27:23 AM »

Sense it is a two program race: SJU & Rutgers. We'll see.

Hearing Cincy and SJU with lean towards SJU. 

paultzman

« Reply #74 on: September 02, 2015, 09:28:26 PM »
@JonRothstein: JUCO wing Bashir Ahmed (Hutchinson CC) will visit Rutgers on 9/12, source told @CBSSports. St. John's, Cincinnati, & Louisville in mix.

« Reply #75 on: September 03, 2015, 02:15:38 AM »
What happened to the supposed sure thing and his great love of SJU?

Poison

« Reply #76 on: September 03, 2015, 07:19:41 AM »

How can you say no to Rutgers?

derk

« Reply #77 on: September 03, 2015, 11:27:45 AM »

Thanks Poison. You made my day. But seriously now how can we lose this player to Rutgers ( not saying that we will but how could this even be part of a discussion ).

Poison

« Reply #78 on: September 03, 2015, 12:04:40 PM »

Thanks Poison. You made my day. But seriously now how can we lose this player to Rutgers ( not saying that we will but how could this even be part of a discussion ).

Major reason to go to St.John's and Rutgers is to give your family and friends the opportunity to see your games live without paying for travel. That's a nice to do for your family - provided you like them, and provided that there is at the very least, a decent option locally.

I don't recall off hand if Rutgers has improved at all since Eddie Jordan took over. I believe this is year 3 coming up for him, and if it isn't clear that the program is headed in the right direction, I think its safe to say that going to RU is a risk on par with playing for Norm Roberts at STJ.

Coach Mullin, much like Lavin before him, has the "honeymoon period" on his side. (For now) Once the ball goes up, we need to see what Mullin can point to as a selling point. We don't to make the NCAAs to show recruits that we're headed in the direction, but we do need to look like a well coached group, and that's going to take a big effort in year one with almost zero continuity.

I do believe, however, that these kids will respect and listen to Coach's philosophy on conditioning, practice and in-game approach. Coach Mullin has a pedigree, and I don't think he's going to have to tell his guys to work harder, because he's sought out hard workers - which will be refreshing.

« Reply #79 on: September 03, 2015, 12:53:21 PM »
Another difference:  our history, by and large, destroys Rutgers from a men's basketball perspective.  Even over the last 15 years (end of Jarvis/Norm/Lavin/Mully), we have had some moments.  We have guys in the league.  And, when we are having any semblance of a solid season, we get substantial (and sometimes national) attention.  Rutgers doesn't have that, and the only men's basketball attention it has received in recent years was for negative reasons (Rice). 

Jordan has some NBA credit and Rutgers move to the Big 10 is a selling point from a basketball perspective.  But I think we have much more to offer.

That said, we have won recruiting battles over schools that have had far more success recently.  So while I've read/heard that we are the favorite for Ahmed, I wouldn't count out Rutgers.