Josh Cunningham - PF - Morgan Park HS - Chicago, IL - BRADLEY

• 290 replies

SJUFAN

Re: Josh Cunningham - PF - Morgan Park HS - Chicago, IL
« Reply #60 on: April 19, 2014, 02:03:20 AM »

Zach Braziller ‏@NYPost_Brazille  · 19m 
Josh Cunningham's coach Nick Irvin said St. John's has been recruiting Cunningham for a while. #sjubb

Looks like the staff hasn't been asleep at the wheel as much as we might have thought. Hope we get this kid. Solid four year player who could play the 3 position.

« Reply #61 on: April 19, 2014, 11:22:58 AM »
For the record Jerry Meyer has flipped his prediction on Cunningham from USC to SJU:

Jerry Meyer Dir. of Basketball Scouting 247Sports
St. John's
St. John's 4/18/14 1:04PM 

Last prediction: SCAR on 4/16/14 7:46PM

http://247sports.com/PlayerInstitution/Josh-Cunningham-at-Morgan-Park-28617/CurrentExpertPredictions

Chilleb

« Reply #62 on: April 19, 2014, 11:47:55 AM »
only thing that scares me is that his highlight tapes look a lot like sir dom from high school, but at this point he a good late sign i guess
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 11:51:10 AM by Chilleb »

« Reply #63 on: April 19, 2014, 12:55:48 PM »
only thing that scares me is that his highlight tapes look a lot like sir dom from high school, but at this point he a good late sign i guess

I see more of an Amir Garrett type of player

SJUFAN

« Reply #64 on: April 19, 2014, 01:16:41 PM »

I see more of an Amir Garrett type of player

Much better offensive game than Garrett. Garrett was the better athlete who could defend multiple positions. 

desco80

« Reply #65 on: April 19, 2014, 03:16:10 PM »
Per Jerry Meyer:

Jerry Meyer

Dir. of Basketball Scouting - 247Sports

7 hours ago 

South Carolina won't be the last visit for Chicago (Ill.) Morgan Park forward Josh Cunningham after all. According to Zach Brazille, Cunningham will unofficially visit St. John's this weekend.

Cunningham, a 247Sports Composite four-star prospect, was thought to be honing down to a decision between Bradley and South Carolina. Indiana and DePaul are also in the mix.

The sudden scheduling of the visit and its timing seem to bode well for Steve Lavin and company.

http://southcarolina.247sports.com/Bolt/Josh-Cunningham-schedules-another-visit-28210417

thought this was a funny response from someone that board:

"Tough to bet against Lavin. Guy can't coach but he can recruit. Also has a lot if guys transfer out, must promise everyone the world and they leave when it's not true."

Dead on

Except for "a lot" of guys actually haven't transferred out.

I count 6 in 4 years, that's a lot. 

« Reply #66 on: April 19, 2014, 03:39:55 PM »
Per Jerry Meyer:

Jerry Meyer

7 hours ago 

South Carolina won't be the last visit for Chicago (Ill.) Morgan Park forward Josh Cunningham after all. According to Zach Brazille, Cunningham will unofficially visit St. John's this weekend.

Cunningham, a 247Sports Composite four-star prospect, was thought to be honing down to a decision between Bradley and South Carolina. Indiana and DePaul are also in the mix.

The sudden scheduling of the visit and its timing seem to bode well for Steve Lavin and company.

http://southcarolina.247sports.com/Bolt/Josh-Cunningham-schedules-another-visit-28210417

"Tough to bet against Lavin. Guy can't coach but he can recruit. Also has a lot if guys transfer out, must promise everyone the world and they leave when it's not true."

Dead on

That is nothing.  Georgetown and Florida had 6-8 guys in two years each including several 4 and 5 star studs.

redslope

« Reply #67 on: April 19, 2014, 07:04:23 PM »
Per Jerry Meyer:

Jerry Meyer

7 hours ago 

Dead on

How many of the 6 were non Lavin recruits?  I would suggest that counting them is not meaningful?  Nothing unreasonable in one per year. 

gman

« Reply #68 on: April 19, 2014, 07:23:42 PM »
Per Jerry Meyer:

Jerry Meyer

7 hours ago 

Dead on

Last year there were 425 transfers across 346 teams, so we were just a bit above the average.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 07:24:28 PM by gman »

sju89tr

« Reply #69 on: April 19, 2014, 07:27:11 PM »
I count 6

Of course 2 guys belong to Roberts and kids always transfer after a coaching change

Lawrence
Q.Roberts
Polee
Lindsey
Garrett
Hooper

In todays landscape, expect to lose a guy a year, maybe 2 
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 07:27:38 PM by sju89tr »

MCNPA

« Reply #70 on: April 19, 2014, 10:39:28 PM »
Landing a kid like this could be a huge coup for us.  He's a 3-4 but unlike Dom, attacks the boards like crazy.  I'd live to land this kid alongside Thomas.  It would give us a true 4 in Thomas and a combo forward in Cunningham who we can afford give minutes to a the 3.  Remember a guy like Kidd-Gilchrist was much like this coming out of high school.ore of a bouncy 3 than a true 4, but boarded hard and did everything else. 

ras

« Reply #71 on: April 19, 2014, 10:47:41 PM »
Well have another piece of the puzzle in place for 15, if we get him.

Tiznow

« Reply #72 on: April 19, 2014, 10:54:08 PM »
Per Jerry Meyer:

Jerry Meyer

7 hours ago 

Dead on

You're living in the past if you think this is a lot.

« Reply #73 on: April 20, 2014, 10:09:08 AM »
Lavin  having dinner with two recruits at Mr Chow in tribeca last night. Overtime on Holy Saturday. Who says this guy does not work hard?

Foad

« Reply #74 on: April 20, 2014, 10:26:08 AM »
Lavin  having dinner with two recruits at Mr Chow in tribeca last night. Overtime on Holy Saturday. Who says this guy does not work hard?

Agree. Eating expense account dinners at Tribecca hot spots can be onerous at the best of times. Having your secretary finagle a reservation on a Saturday night just adds to the degree of difficulty.

« Reply #75 on: April 20, 2014, 02:50:14 PM »
Hearing it might be between SJU and Bradley believe it or not.  Bradley has been on him from the start and he is very loyal.

Marillac

« Reply #76 on: April 20, 2014, 03:09:18 PM »
I like his form shooting the ball, including free throws.

What do you think Marillac?

Good form.  First thing that jumps out is that he is a four year player.   He doesn't have elite length or size that would put him in the draft after a successful season or two.  We need that. 

He doesn't remind me of Dom at all, for those making that comparison.  They key with players like Josh is buying into being a good college four before worrying about the perimeter skills.  Everyone wants to be a SF, but the rare gems that embrace the battles down low are the real prizes. 

This would be a very good addition and a kid that can grow over four years.  I hope everyone keeps the expectations reasonable.

« Reply #77 on: April 20, 2014, 03:15:20 PM »
Hearing it might be between SJU and Bradley believe it or not.  Bradley has been on him from the start and he is very loyal.

FWIW:

Roni Levy ‏@Sports_talk91  · 3m 
Hearing that St. John's is in really good position to land both Keith Thomas and Josh Cunningham #sjubb

« Reply #78 on: April 20, 2014, 03:29:56 PM »
Has anyone seen these guys play? Any comparisons?

paultzman

« Reply #79 on: April 20, 2014, 03:40:33 PM »

Interesting Bradley just signed Juco PF today, not sure of implication for Cunningham;

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/jermaine-morgan
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 03:42:09 PM by paultzman »