Josh Cunningham - PF - Morgan Park HS - Chicago, IL - BRADLEY

• 290 replies
Re: Josh Cunningham - PF - Morgan Park HS - Chicago, IL
« Reply #80 on: April 20, 2014, 03:53:18 PM »
Hearing it might be between SJU and Bradley believe it or not.  Bradley has been on him from the start and he is very loyal.

Interesting Bradley just signed Juco PF today, not sure of implication for Cunningham;

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/jermaine-morgan

You know what's funny on Friday Jerry Meyer of 247 flipped his Crystal Ball from South Carolina to SJU.  The yesterday I saw he had Bradley, which did not make a lot of sense.  Now today he is back to SJU.  Odd.

paultzman

« Reply #81 on: April 20, 2014, 04:06:03 PM »
Hearing it might be between SJU and Bradley believe it or not.  Bradley has been on him from the start and he is very loyal.

Interesting Bradley just signed Juco PF today, not sure of implication for Cunningham;

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/jermaine-morgan

You know what's funny on Friday Jerry Meyer of 247 flipped his Crystal Ball from South Carolina to SJU.  The yesterday I saw he had Bradley, which did not make a lot of sense.  Now today he is back to SJU.  Odd.

Just spoke with Meyer via pm. He felt the Juco signing by Bradley would help us, but nothing beyond that. We'll see.

« Reply #82 on: April 20, 2014, 05:09:40 PM »
I like his form shooting the ball, including free throws.

What do you think Marillac?

Good form.  First thing that jumps out is that he is a four year player.   He doesn't have elite length or size that would put him in the draft after a successful season or two.  We need that. 

He doesn't remind me of Dom at all, for those making that comparison.  They key with players like Josh is buying into being a good college four before worrying about the perimeter skills.  Everyone wants to be a SF, but the rare gems that embrace the battles down low are the real prizes. 

This would be a very good addition and a kid that can grow over four years.  I hope everyone keeps the expectations reasonable.

I dont see dom at all, but I also dont see much that would lead to being a top 100 player. I would welcome him with open arms and hope that the people who do the rankings have seen something that I havnt. You cant tell how smart or how hard a player works in a highlight film. His free throw form does look very good.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Marillac

« Reply #83 on: April 20, 2014, 05:48:36 PM »
I like his form shooting the ball, including free throws.

What do you think Marillac?

Good form.  First thing that jumps out is that he is a four year player.   He doesn't have elite length or size that would put him in the draft after a successful season or two.  We need that. 

He doesn't remind me of Dom at all, for those making that comparison.  They key with players like Josh is buying into being a good college four before worrying about the perimeter skills.  Everyone wants to be a SF, but the rare gems that embrace the battles down low are the real prizes. 

This would be a very good addition and a kid that can grow over four years.  I hope everyone keeps the expectations reasonable.

I dont see dom at all, but I also dont see much that would lead to being a top 100 player. I would welcome him with open arms and hope that the people who do the rankings have seen something that I havnt. You cant tell how smart or how hard a player works in a highlight film. His free throw form does look very good.

With where he is ranked...there is so little difference between the 20-30 ahead of him and the 20-30 behind him.  Attitude, work ethic, personnel situations, and basketball IQ will decide where these kids go.  I  have only watched that highlight tape once, and I can't really make out too much in either direction.  Teams built with kids where he is ranked tend to be very successful.  Sprinkle in some top 25 talents like Jordan and you've got yourself a formula for success.

What I know now is we need four year players.  We need guys that come in with a team-first attitude and we need tough kids. 

« Reply #84 on: April 20, 2014, 08:02:03 PM »
BTW-There are connections for Bradley and Cunningham,  His mom went to school at BU and a former teammate of Josh plays for BU:

It’s believed to have been decades since Bradley last signed a top-100 prospect like Cunningham directly out of high school.

Cunningham’s mother is a BU graduate and Cunningham is good friends with Bradley freshman Xzavier Taylor, a former Morgan Park teammate.

Read more: http://www.pjstar.com/article/20140415/Sports/140419273#ixzz2zTTOJe53

boo3

« Reply #85 on: April 20, 2014, 08:20:00 PM »
Potential additions - deLa Rosa, Thomas, Cunnigham, Felix, C Jones

Losses- Sampson, borgault, hooper, GG, Sanchez

With returning nucleus  you guys think we are better or worse?  I think we would be better.

desco80

« Reply #86 on: April 20, 2014, 08:28:00 PM »
We're definitely worse.  Sampson and Sanchez are the two best players on that list, by a decent margin.   

Hope I'm wrong.   If Christian jones can be half as good as Marillac and Mase expect, then we're probably equal talent wise to what we had last season. 

« Reply #87 on: April 20, 2014, 08:31:37 PM »
We're definitely worse.  Sampson and Sanchez are the two best players on that list, by a decent margin.   

Hope I'm wrong.   If Christian jones can be half as good as Marillac and Mase expect, then we're probably equal talent wise to what we had last season. 

Could easily see Cunningham being better than Sanchez right away. I was never a fan of Sanchez' game. Thought he hurt the team with not knowing his role.

desco80

« Reply #88 on: April 20, 2014, 08:37:20 PM »

Could easily see Cunningham being better than Sanchez right away. I was never a fan of Sanchez' game. Thought he hurt the team with not knowing his role.
I can see some truth to that Ted. 
That's the one area I think the replacements may be better, they could be more disciplined and fit the role their being asked to play.
But at the end of the day Sanchez could hit a basket, and so could Sampson. I don't have faith that any these guys can.   That's what worries me more than anything else.  The scoring droughts.  We had trouble scoring last season, now we loose Sampson and Sanchez, that won't help things. 
I also think we're mischaracterizing Jakarrs game.  He didn't live on the perimeter, and he was an above average rebounder. 
Cunningham looks like he could b a good, if undersized defender, Thomas's defense didn't impress me at all. 

« Reply #89 on: April 20, 2014, 08:41:14 PM »

For someone who is almost always so positive about everything way to misevaluate an all around talented player and blaming him for not knowing his role. But you as a fan know his role. Guess lavin confided in you over dinner.

« Reply #90 on: April 20, 2014, 08:43:07 PM »

For someone who is almost always so positive about everything way to misevaluate an all around talented player and blaming him for not knowing his role. But you as a fan know his role. Guess lavin confided in you over dinner.

Really dude? Just an opinion.

Also I didn't say he wasn't an all around talented player.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 08:46:22 PM by redstorm212 »

boo3

« Reply #91 on: April 20, 2014, 08:48:02 PM »
I think you need to take into consideration improvement in players from year to year.

Safe to say Jordan will be a much better , more confident lead guard next year...Harrison will be Harrison, which is good to great... Obekpa should improve as well.. 

I haven't seen enough of Thomas, Cunningham, or DeLa Rosa to make any definitive statements...

I think we will be better, more well rounded team next season... Just an opinion.

« Reply #92 on: April 20, 2014, 08:54:24 PM »
I think you need to take into consideration improvement in players from year to year.

Safe to say Jordan will be a much better , more confident lead guard next year...Harrison will be Harrison, which is good to great... Obekpa should improve as well.. 

I haven't seen enough of Thomas, Cunningham, or DeLa Rosa to make any definitive statements...

I think we will be better, more well rounded team next season... Just an opinion.

I think we need  75% of the shots coming from Harrison and Jordan. Branch needs to start and get this guys the rock

desco80

« Reply #93 on: April 20, 2014, 09:00:17 PM »

Two years ago I put a lot of stock in players improving over the summer.  Then I saw Dangelo Dom and Phil flatline. 
And then last season, how much better were Sampson and Obekpa as sophs compared to their freshmen seasons?    Heavy playing time as a frosh skews the curve I think.   

boo3

« Reply #94 on: April 20, 2014, 09:00:44 PM »
 I would start the 3 guards also, Branch, RJ, DH, with Obekpa and whichever forward is the best defensive player and rebounder...

desco80

« Reply #95 on: April 20, 2014, 09:01:33 PM »
To be fair tho boo, I'm not sure he's done recruiting yet.
If there is a replacement for hooper/Marco, somebody who can score ...then the talent might be just as good as it was last season.   Maybe even better.
So I'm holding out hope for that. 

« Reply #96 on: April 20, 2014, 09:02:57 PM »
Branch is still too loose with the ball and showed no confidence in his outside shot.  Hopefully he improves in both areas because I do like the 3 guard lineup with him in it.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

desco80

« Reply #97 on: April 20, 2014, 09:10:25 PM »
Btw, I thought about the transfer thing, and you guys were right. 
I stand corrected, there haven't been a disproportionate amount of transfers. 

Plenty of other things I can hold against coach, that one probably wasn't  fair/accurate. 

« Reply #98 on: April 20, 2014, 09:15:39 PM »
Potential additions - deLa Rosa, Thomas, Cunnigham, Felix, C Jones

Losses- Sampson, borgault, hooper, GG, Sanchez

With returning nucleus  you guys think we are better or worse?  I think we would be better.

If those are the guys we get, I am extremely confident we will be better. I hold jones and Felix in higher regard than most though.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

boo3

« Reply #99 on: April 20, 2014, 09:15:52 PM »
 It's too bad Greene and Branch can't be morphed into a single player...

Greene's shooting ability combined with Branch's court vision and passing ability.. We would have a heck of a third guard...  Ha!