Re: Josh Cunningham - PF - Morgan Park HS - Chicago, IL
« Reply #160 on: April 23, 2014, 06:30:17 PM »
Cunningham better than Christian Jones?

Cunningham more of a wing I think.   

« Reply #161 on: April 23, 2014, 06:42:48 PM »

He seems closer to a Jakarr type rather than CJ.

MCNPA

« Reply #162 on: April 23, 2014, 06:49:27 PM »

He seems closer to a Jakarr type rather than CJ.

Yup, he is. 

LJSA

« Reply #163 on: April 24, 2014, 12:28:52 AM »
Cunningham averaged 15 rpg this past season. Jones in his last season before college averaged like 5 rpg. Cunningham is a top 125 player. Jones was a project who Lavin noticed because he played with Phil at IMG. I actually don't think Jones will ever be the player Cunningham is, so I really hope we get him.

Tiger

« Reply #164 on: April 24, 2014, 08:27:13 AM »
From what I read the primary suitors for Josh are:  Bradley, South Carolina and Depaul.

At the small forward position, Bradley should graduate Tyshon Pickett who played 33.3 min/game.  They have a junior Chris Blake who played 9.5 min/game.  They also have to big guards who could move up front to get minutes Jordan Swopshire and Stefan Zecevic.  They already have a letter of intent from Donte Thomas.

At the small forward position, South Carolina has a fairly young group.  Sophomore Mindaugas Kadnas played 24.1 min/game. Michael Carrera played 19.7 min/game, Brian Steele (Sophomore) played 9.9 min/game and Reggie Theus Jr. played only 3.5 min/game.  South Carolina has a verbal commit from Shamick Sheppard.

I haven't investigated DePaul for playing time, but it seems like the draw is:  "close to home".  Some one else pointed out, that it seems the NCAA will let you transfer home without sitting out a year.  Based on that, it seems you are better off trying a school that is away from home, because if you don't like it, you can transfer home without sitting out.  If you stay home, and it doesn't work out, you probably have to sit out when you transfer. 

If playing time is a concern to Josh, then the situation at SJU seems ideal. Of course, as SJU and DePaul are conference rivals, transferring home might not be an option.

desco80

« Reply #165 on: April 24, 2014, 10:26:43 AM »
Cunningham averaged 15 rpg this past season. Jones in his last season before college averaged like 5 rpg. Cunningham is a top 125 player. Jones was a project who Lavin noticed because he played with Phil at IMG. I actually don't think Jones will ever be the player Cunningham is, so I really hope we get him.

You obviously didn't get the memo that Jones is going to easily replace Sampson.
That's taken as fact around here lately.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 10:28:21 AM by desco80 »

Poison

« Reply #166 on: April 24, 2014, 11:43:38 AM »

You obviously didn't get the memo that Jones is going to easily replace Sampson.

Those expectations, although lofty, are exactly what a good program does. You replace a guy who goes pro with a kid who's waited for his turn.

desco80

« Reply #167 on: April 24, 2014, 11:54:41 AM »

Those expectations, although lofty, are exactly what a good program does. You replace a guy who goes pro with a kid who's waited for his turn.

I agree, but those aren't reasonable expectations when one player with someone of lesser talent.
Good programs replace guys of Sampson's caliber with someone of relatively equal ability.   We did that roughly when Jakarr replaced Moe.
We're not doing that now.

paultzman

« Reply #168 on: April 24, 2014, 12:19:45 PM »
Cunningham#88 on final 14 Rivals list;

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/rankings/rank-2993

Btw, @WisBBYearbook: Big East with 19 players and Big 10 with 18 players in final Rivals rankings of the Top 150 players in the class of 2014.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 12:37:38 PM by paultzman »

Poison

« Reply #169 on: April 24, 2014, 02:57:35 PM »

I agree, but those aren't reasonable expectations when one player with someone of lesser talent.
Good programs replace guys of Sampson's caliber with someone of relatively equal ability.   We did that roughly when Jakarr replaced Moe.
We're not doing that now.

I hear ya. And you're right, but what I'm hoping for (not expecting) is that Jones has really worked on his game, and when we see him next November, he'll be playing like a guy that will fill the void. Sampson is more talented than Jones. We know that.

But Sampson was a slow learner. As much as we loved his quick first step the basket, he often made so many mental mistakes that they offset his offensive contributions. AND that's not coaching, that was all him.

LJSA

« Reply #170 on: April 24, 2014, 10:29:49 PM »

If I had gotten it I would have immediately burned it.

I don't think Jones ever gives us anything. If we get 4 and 3 from him as a senior I'll be pleased.

« Reply #171 on: April 25, 2014, 06:57:53 AM »

I don't think Jones ever gives us anything. If we get 4 and 3 from him as a senior I'll be pleased.

As a freshmen in games that he got double digit minutes, he averaged 5 and 2.5.  He only got 20 minutes in 3 of those 9 games.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

pmg911

« Reply #172 on: April 25, 2014, 07:33:26 AM »

I think he will be solid contributor next season

As a freshmen in games that he got double digit minutes, he averaged 5 and 2.5.  He only got 20 minutes in 3 of those 9 games.

« Reply #173 on: April 25, 2014, 09:56:58 PM »
Cunningham or bust now

« Reply #174 on: April 25, 2014, 10:20:44 PM »
Why Cunningham or bust, who did we lose?

« Reply #175 on: April 25, 2014, 10:41:12 PM »
Why Cunningham or bust, who did we lose?

Sanchez, Sampson and Gift

« Reply #176 on: April 25, 2014, 10:45:05 PM »
I know that, thought you were talking about other recruits.

LoganK

Re: Re: Josh Cunningham - PF - Morgan Park HS - Chicago, IL
« Reply #177 on: April 26, 2014, 10:04:17 AM »
Logan/Marco let's keep this about Cunningham

I know.  My apologies (which in my defense I included in the off-topic post :p).

I think Thomas is the biggest need to be filled.  If we get Thomas, we SHOULD be an NCAA team (I feel like i've heard/said that before).  Cunningham would be a nice piece, but isn't as important in my eyes (even though he's the more highly rated player) to the immediate needs of the team.  I think his biggest help would be balancing the classes and keeping talent on our team over the next few years.  Obviously I'm not exactly a recruiting expert and could be way off-base on this, but based off of what I've heard/seen, that's the way I see it.

Poison

Re: Re: Re: Josh Cunningham - PF - Morgan Park HS - Chicago, IL
« Reply #178 on: April 26, 2014, 10:20:43 AM »
Logan/Marco let's keep this about Cunningham

I know.  My apologies (which in my defense I included in the off-topic post :p).

I think Thomas is the biggest need to be filled.  If we get Thomas, we SHOULD be an NCAA team (I feel like i've heard/said that before).  Cunningham would be a nice piece, but isn't as important in my eyes (even though he's the more highly rated player) to the immediate needs of the team.  I think his biggest help would be balancing the classes and keeping talent on our team over the next few years.  Obviously I'm not exactly a recruiting expert and could be way off-base on this, but based off of what I've heard/seen, that's the way I see it.

How can any of us know which one of Thomas or Cunningham would help us more? If you're picturing Thomas as the next Lamont Middleton or Charles Minlend, I am too. Have at it, but it's almost May, and this is our most glorious part of the season.

Just know that it's our imaginations that have created these comparisons. IDK where, if at all how the case can be made that these dreams could in some way be based in reality.

Re: Re: Re: Josh Cunningham - PF - Morgan Park HS - Chicago, IL
« Reply #179 on: April 26, 2014, 12:46:50 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65yx_IA8OXE#t=222

This is my favorite video ive seen of him, its his state championship game from his senior year. On three or four occasions he goes out of his area to steal rebounds away. He looks to block out before pursuing the ball, and his first reaction is to give it up to a guard which would be a welcomed change. Good form on his FT and a real solid athlete with a solid frame that could add muscle.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.