Predictions:

• 137 replies

goredmen

Re: Predictions:
« Reply #120 on: April 19, 2014, 02:04:17 PM »
I was mad 0-1, more mad 0-3, furious 0-5. I got less mad 2-5, almost happy 5-5, by the end of the season I was feeling good. I wish we would have won against Providence. I think we also would have won the big east. The hate should have been here in January. The team played well down the stretch. I called lavin plenty of names. He deserved them. Then he started wining. He should get credit for that. Not because I love him, but because its fair. We have good players. He brought them here. He deserves credit for that.

Talk about setting the bar low. He brought them where? To a first round loss to Robert Morris in the NIT? With the talent this roster has Lavin vastly underachieved last year. As you heard every expert on the Big East last year, St John's was probably the most talented team in the league. Well if that was the case, then why didn't they make the NCAA? Coaching.
You miss my point. I was ready to fire him in January. I was leading the charge to fire him. People thought I was crazy. From late January on the team played great. At 0-5 what chance did we have to make the tournament?  He deserves every criticism for that. If he was fired then I wouldn't have been upset. As a whole I dont see this as an awful season.
What if they beat Providence instead of losing close. Lose the next big east game and sneak in to the tournament and play that Tuesday in Dayton and lose. Is that a successful season? I think most on here would think so. I would feel very similarly to how I do now.
Lavin can recruit. He proved the 1st year that he can be a great face of the program. He arrogantly fxcked this season up. He fixed it. Don't think he is a genius but I dont think he wants to lose and be a laughing stock any more.
We have good players. I think he will get us more. I think (hope) he keeps his stupid ideas to himself and simplifies things. No shitty zone, always play with PG, and always play your best players. If so I think we have a good season, If not he will be out of here.

But beating Prov and losing to SHU in the BET would not have had us in the big boy tournament

desco80

« Reply #121 on: April 19, 2014, 03:23:39 PM »
I was mad 0-1, more mad 0-3, furious 0-5. I got less mad 2-5, almost happy 5-5, by the end of the season I was feeling good. I wish we would have won against Providence. I think we also would have won the big east. The hate should have been here in January. The team played well down the stretch. I called lavin plenty of names. He deserved them. Then he started wining. He should get credit for that. Not because I love him, but because its fair. We have good players. He brought them here. He deserves credit for that.

Talk about setting the bar low. He brought them where? To a first round loss to Robert Morris in the NIT? With the talent this roster has Lavin vastly underachieved last year. As you heard every expert on the Big East last year, St John's was probably the most talented team in the league. Well if that was the case, then why didn't they make the NCAA? Coaching.
You miss my point. I was ready to fire him in January. I was leading the charge to fire him. People thought I was crazy. From late January on the team played great. At 0-5 what chance did we have to make the tournament?  He deserves every criticism for that. If he was fired then I wouldn't have been upset. As a whole I dont see this as an awful season.
What if they beat Providence instead of losing close. Lose the next big east game and sneak in to the tournament and play that Tuesday in Dayton and lose. Is that a successful season? I think most on here would think so. I would feel very similarly to how I do now.
Lavin can recruit. He proved the 1st year that he can be a great face of the program. He arrogantly fxcked this season up. He fixed it. Don't think he is a genius but I dont think he wants to lose and be a laughing stock any more.
We have good players. I think he will get us more. I think (hope) he keeps his stupid ideas to himself and simplifies things. No shitty zone, always play with PG, and always play your best players. If so I think we have a good season, If not he will be out of here.

We didn't play well from late January on, we had 4 good weeks, and then we reverted back.   Starting with the Villanova game things began to crumble.  The ball movement stopped and the defensive lapses returned.
The Nova game can be written off because we were missing a key player and Obekpa was hurt.  Plus they were obviously a very good team.
But DePaul, Xavier, Marquette, providence, Robert Morris ... we're all bad performances by us.    And 3 of them were particularly awful: Xavier, PC, rmu. 

We didn't turn a corner so much as we got hot for a stretch against questionable opponents and then reverted back to undisciplined and poor fundamental basketball.  They are who we thought they were. 

TONYD3

« Reply #122 on: April 19, 2014, 04:33:42 PM »
I was away for the villinova game so I missed it. We were without sanchez and we played a top 10 very close on the road and lost. From reading the boards it sounded like we could have won. We beat Marquette and Depual. Can't kill the coach when he wins. Xavier was a tough loss, but they are a good team. I don't like sticking up for Lavin, it makes me feel stupid. But the hate has gone to far.
From 0-5 to 10-8 in conference isnt getting hot for a time, Thats a complete turn around. 2 of those losses were on the road vs creighton and Nova. Both close games. We beat G-town who has killed us lately and Marquette twice.

« Reply #123 on: April 19, 2014, 04:45:31 PM »

We didn't play well from late January on, we had 4 good weeks, and then we reverted back.   Starting with the Villanova game things began to crumble.  The ball movement stopped and the defensive lapses returned.
The Nova game can be written off because we were missing a key player and Obekpa was hurt.  Plus they were obviously a very good team.
But DePaul, Xavier, Marquette, providence, Robert Morris ... we're all bad performances by us.    And 3 of them were particularly awful: Xavier, PC, rmu. 

We didn't turn a corner so much as we got hot for a stretch against questionable opponents and then reverted back to undisciplined and poor fundamental basketball.  They are who we thought they were. 

Not a good season, but this isn't true. Beat DePaul. Beat marquette at their place where they almost never lose. Played nova well with obekpa hurting at their place (a team that's only loses at that point were creighton and at cuse). Understand you were disappointed and want the USF coach, but there are plenty of actual problems with this season and those games aren't them. I'm with tonyd here.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 04:46:41 PM by apesNapes »

« Reply #124 on: April 19, 2014, 04:53:59 PM »
I was away for the villinova game so I missed it. We were without sanchez and we played a top 10 very close on the road and lost. From reading the boards it sounded like we could have won. We beat Marquette and Depual. Can't kill the coach when he wins. Xavier was a tough loss, but they are a good team. I don't like sticking up for Lavin, it makes me feel stupid. But the hate has gone to far.
From 0-5 to 10-8 in conference isnt getting hot for a time, Thats a complete turn around. 2 of those losses were on the road vs creighton and Nova. Both close games. We beat G-town who has killed us lately and Marquette twice.
Where can we pick up our trophies? Some of you act like it was preordained or that we were given an 0-5 start. No, we never should have started 0-5 so that's on Lavin. If you say blame the players that's on Lavin too, he brought them here. All this being said to counter your point of things have gone too far. Maybe a few are still wanting him gone but most including myself have acquiesced to him staying, have become somewhat optimistic again we will get a few kids this year that can help and maybe against all odds Lavin can have a great 15 class. At least that's what I hope, cause I like Lavin and just want to win again already. Is that too much to ask for all of our long time fans? I don't think so.

« Reply #125 on: April 19, 2014, 05:40:30 PM »
Where can we pick up our trophies? Some of you act like it was preordained or that we were given an 0-5 start. No, we never should have started 0-5 so that's on Lavin. If you say blame the players that's on Lavin too, he brought them here. All this being said to counter your point of things have gone too far. Maybe a few are still wanting him gone but most including myself have acquiesced to him staying, have become somewhat optimistic again we will get a few kids this year that can help and maybe against all odds Lavin can have a great 15 class. At least that's what I hope, cause I like Lavin and just want to win again already. Is that too much to ask for all of our long time fans? I don't think so.

Some of you it seems like you don't even read the post before you respond. Nowhere in Tony's post did he say he thought we deserved a trophy. All he said was after starting 0-5, finishing 10-8 is impressive. I know any post that says anything remotely good about the basketball team you automatically don't like, but come on already, nothing Tony said was incorrect. That stretch of basketball was not a fluke. We are closer to the 10-3 we finished with than the 0-5 we started with.

« Reply #126 on: April 19, 2014, 09:09:21 PM »

Some of you it seems like you don't even read the post before you respond. Nowhere in Tony's post did he say he thought we deserved a trophy. All he said was after starting 0-5, finishing 10-8 is impressive. I know any post that says anything remotely good about the basketball team you automatically don't like, but come on already, nothing Tony said was incorrect. That stretch of basketball was not a fluke. We are closer to the 10-3 we finished with than the 0-5 we started with.
I can read and it is your reading comprehension that is deficient. Of course I didn't mean the trophy thing literally, it was a figure of speech and an exaggeration (can't believe I have to waste my time explaining that one). And I would not have to say anything negative about the program if you guys would stop with the incessant praising of an underachieving team. But that would be too much to ask so praise away and when I feel like pointing out the folly of your assertions I will feel free to respond in kind.     
PS You sound like a Met fan that gets excited when they play well in September to put the finish on another well under .500 season and finish 20 games out of first place.                                                                                                           
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 09:14:14 PM by Celtics11 »

boo3

« Reply #127 on: April 19, 2014, 09:19:51 PM »
Celtics-everything you post is a figure of speech and an exaggeration ... If not, just a corny joke. 

TonyD-has been fair through the season of his critique and then praise of the team.  What a novel concept, a poster that isn't afraid to admit he was wrong and change his mind.   He's not concerned with proving with every post that he is right.  He posts what he sees. 

More should do the same. 

I will await the inevitable responses of the folly of my ways.

Happy Easter
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 09:28:45 PM by boo3 »

« Reply #128 on: April 19, 2014, 09:28:09 PM »

I can read and it is your reading comprehension that is deficient. Of course I didn't mean the trophy thing literally, it was a figure of speech and an exaggeration (can't believe I have to waste my time explaining that one). And I would not have to say anything negative about the program if you guys would stop with the incessant praising of an underachieving team. But that would be too much to ask so praise away and when I feel like pointing out the folly of your assertions I will feel free to respond in kind.     
PS You sound like a Met fan that gets excited when they play well in September to put the finish on another well under .500 season and finish 20 games out of first place.                                                                                                           

Obviously I knew it was figure of speech, (can't believe I had to explain that one) just pointing out that Tony was merely commenting that 10-3 after 0-5 is impressive. I know that's impossible for you to admit because of your agenda.

« Reply #129 on: April 19, 2014, 09:32:25 PM »

Who is incessantly praising?!? Please point out ONE post where anyone thinks we were amazing team last year. ANYONE who is overjoyed with a first round NIT exit. Absolutely no one is incessantly praising this team. It's made up by you and a few others. We all want to be better than 20-13, and we have a great shot of doing it next year.

boo3

« Reply #130 on: April 19, 2014, 09:36:59 PM »
 If you aren't demanding coaches firing then you are a Kools -aide drinker. 

Needs to be kept simple for the dolts on board.

« Reply #131 on: April 19, 2014, 11:15:11 PM »
Celtics-everything you post is a figure of speech and an exaggeration ... If not, just a corny joke. 

TonyD-has been fair through the season of his critique and then praise of the team.  What a novel concept, a poster that isn't afraid to admit he was wrong and change his mind.   He's not concerned with proving with every post that he is right.  He posts what he sees. 

More should do the same. 

I will await the inevitable responses of the folly of my ways.

Happy Easter
Happy Easter

« Reply #132 on: April 20, 2014, 09:23:40 AM »

Nope. There is also a faction that doesn't think Lavin should or will be fired but is not above criticism and has to do a better job. But irrational people such as yourself don't seem to understand that. You remark that you understand Lavin is not a great coach but then 99% of your posts are complaining ABOUT PEOPLE Complaining about the coach. So are you the final word on Lavin's coaching and no one else can complain? Or have you decreed that since it has been stated by you that he is not a great coach, no one else should mention it ever again because you have decided that since you already stated he is not a great coach if anyone else mentions it, it is tiresome to you? 

Foad

« Reply #133 on: April 20, 2014, 10:17:30 AM »

Nope. There is also a faction that doesn't think Lavin should or will be fired but is not above criticism and has to do a better job. But irrational people such as yourself don't seem to understand that. You remark that you understand Lavin is not a great coach but then 99% of your posts are complaining ABOUT PEOPLE Complaining about the coach. So are you the final word on Lavin's coaching and no one else can complain? Or have you decreed that since it has been stated by you that he is not a great coach, no one else should mention it ever again because you have decided that since you already stated he is not a great coach if anyone else mentions it, it is tiresome to you? 

+ fun

boo3

« Reply #134 on: April 20, 2014, 11:50:57 AM »
You two really need to get me and my posts out of your heads.    Here's a novel concept, skip them if they bother you.   

I will continue to call them as I see them, while you can can continue to call them... Well, wrong. 

:patiently anticipating next remark that puts me in my place:   

« Reply #135 on: April 20, 2014, 12:47:21 PM »
You two really need to get me and my posts out of your heads.    Here's a novel concept, skip them if they bother you.   

I will continue to call them as I see them, while you can can continue to call them... Well, wrong. 

:patiently anticipating next remark that puts me in my place:   

well there are 5639 of them so would be difficult to ignore. You can post whatever you want, just never understood how complaining about people complaining is better than the original complainer?

boo3

« Reply #136 on: April 20, 2014, 12:51:39 PM »
 well thanks... now you can stop complaining about my posts..

I will now focus on making ridiculous predictions for my next few thousand posts.

« Reply #137 on: April 20, 2014, 08:20:55 PM »
well thanks... now you can stop complaining about my posts..

I will now focus on making ridiculous predictions for my next few thousand posts.

Or in other words business as usual.  :)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 08:46:20 PM by Celtics11 »