Why does this staff deserve an extension?

• 200 replies
Re: Why does this staff deserve an extension?
« Reply #180 on: March 19, 2014, 12:09:43 PM »
Season was a disappointment. It goes beyond their record, its about the team failing to get up for the biggest of games. Starts with the coach and unfortunately ours is a bad one. Good recruiter, close to terrible in game coach. Something has to be changed but I dont see anyway that it will be Lavin not coming back.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

SJUFAN

« Reply #181 on: March 19, 2014, 12:50:57 PM »
One game doesn't define a tenure. Robert Morris defeated Kentucky in the first round of the NIT last year. We don't have no were near the talent Kentucky has. So I'm not surprised that they lost, I am disappointed in the effort of the players. So to answer your question, yes I still believe progress is being made. We will bring in better players, that's what good recruiters do.

You're "not surprised" that #1 seed SJU lost to #8 seed Robert Morris at home in year four of Lavin's tenure and you also believe that this loss culminates a season that represents progress. The mind boggles.

Yes. Because our best player was in warmups and your favorite player shot 23% (par for the course). Lavin has his faults, and he deserves some heat, but the team had 5 free throw attempts for the entire game, that isn't on the coach. 

« Reply #182 on: March 19, 2014, 12:51:56 PM »
Also, the only people who care about a poor NIT performance are people on this board.  Winning a game or two in the NIT is irrelevant big picture.

Gray the concern is the overall drama that has occured under Lavin's reign. Can you honestly tell me that your not expecting something bad to happen over the summer? At least UK played hard last year and it seems every year UK is rebuilding so there is reason why UK may miss the tournament. This team has depth and experience and it's not the fact that they fell short that's the issue (it happens) it's their give-a-shatter meter is broken. Not running back on defense chucking more 3s then lay ups with the other team only having 7 players!  I'm not in favor to fire Lavin for the hell of lot like we did with Roberts (we lucked out with Lavin), but asking the program to show something more then optimism isn't a redicolous request either.

I agree that there are some obvious fundamental issues with the Lavin regime.  I just don't think the NIT will have any impact on a contract extension.  Those problems (ie rotation tinkering, player attitude, absurd timeouts, nonstop salesmanship in the press) will probably always come with Lavin coached teams.  What also comes with Lavin coached teams is a national footprint in recruiting, heightened media coverage, and higher expectations. 

All things considered, the program is healthier than it was when he took over.  Staff is in a position to build upon the foundation it has laid with a strong 2015 class, and not giving an extension will have an impact in securing the necessary personnel to take the next step.  In my view, either he's out now (which is not going to happen) or he's got to get a long term extension to demonstrate stability.

dR3w

« Reply #183 on: March 19, 2014, 12:59:13 PM »
All things considered, the program is healthier than it was when he took over.  Staff is in a position to build upon the foundation it has laid with a strong 2015 class, and not giving an extension will have an impact in securing the necessary personnel to take the next step.  In my view, either he's out now (which is not going to happen) or he's got to get a long term extension to demonstrate stability.

I just don't see that.  The program might be better, but just doesn't seem to be moving in the right direction.  If I was a recruit watching last night's game, and I have other decent college offers, why would I choose St John's?  100 fans in the building for a post-season tournament game, where the players didn't feel like playing.  I would choose Robert Morris over St John's right now.

Foad

« Reply #184 on: March 19, 2014, 01:01:18 PM »
One game doesn't define a tenure. Robert Morris defeated Kentucky in the first round of the NIT last year. We don't have no were near the talent Kentucky has. So I'm not surprised that they lost, I am disappointed in the effort of the players. So to answer your question, yes I still believe progress is being made. We will bring in better players, that's what good recruiters do.

You're "not surprised" that #1 seed SJU lost to #8 seed Robert Morris at home in year four of Lavin's tenure and you also believe that this loss culminates a season that represents progress. The mind boggles.

Yes. Because our best player was in warmups and your favorite player shot 23% (par for the course). Lavin has his faults, and he deserves some heat, but the team had 5 free throw attempts for the entire game, that isn't on the coach. 

And yet what you describe comprises progress.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_dissonance

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pollyanna

HTH.

DFF6

« Reply #185 on: March 19, 2014, 01:04:04 PM »
Without some type of shake-up with the coaching staff, I think next year will be a repeat of this year, or even worse.  Lavin is not going anywhere, but we need a taskmaster on the staff that will push this senior-heavy team next year to play with fire.  Whitesell doesn't seem to be that guy, but I have no clue about what he does.  I always got the impression that Dunlap was a hardass when it came to game preparation--something that this team sorely lacked most of the year,at least judging from the games I watched.    I don't expect Dunlap to come back, but I'm not convinced the current staff is capable of changing the culture of this team.

« Reply #186 on: March 19, 2014, 01:23:44 PM »
I'm not 100% convinced that the Administration thinks this season was as much as a disaster than we all do.

Just saying...

« Reply #187 on: March 19, 2014, 03:11:32 PM »

I just don't see that.  The program might be better, but just doesn't seem to be moving in the right direction.  If I was a recruit watching last night's game, and I have other decent college offers, why would I choose St John's?  100 fans in the building for a post-season tournament game, where the players didn't feel like playing.  I would choose Robert Morris over St John's right now.

If I was a recruit, I'd be much more concerned about signing with a coach without an assurance that he will be there during my time at the school.  I also probably would have been watching the play-in game and not a random NIT game. 

Without the extension, you take away the best thing Lavin brings to the table - his ability to recruit at the highest level.  Give him the deal with some contingencies and a favorable buy out option in case the plug need to be pulled earlier than expected.  If he can't recruit, the program is guaranteed to go sideways or down with him at the helm

« Reply #188 on: March 19, 2014, 03:34:38 PM »

If I was a recruit, I'd be much more concerned about signing with a coach without an assurance that he will be there during my time at the school.  I also probably would have been watching the play-in game and not a random NIT game. 

Without the extension, you take away the best thing Lavin brings to the table - his ability to recruit at the highest level.  Give him the deal with some contingencies and a favorable buy out option in case the plug need to be pulled earlier than expected.  If he can't recruit, the program is guaranteed to go sideways or down with him at the helm

But on the other side, if I were a recruit with the potential to play at the next level, I would look at the present roster of underachievers and question Lavins ability to get me to the next level. I say dump him now, take the hit for a year or two and then hope the next coach gets the program in gear. Honestly, do you really believe that things will get better over the next few years with the current staff?  Do you really believe that high level recruits are still considering this program as an option? 

« Reply #189 on: March 19, 2014, 03:42:21 PM »
Tell you one thing I love about this staff is Keady.

I left the game with 1 minute to go (to beat the crowd) and heard him on the post game interview and he is great!  Pretty much said that the team played terrible and that were not up to play.  He doesn't spin anything.  He also sounded really annoyed at certain players.  Didn't say who but I am thinking Harrison and O...
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 03:42:41 PM by happyrappy »

« Reply #190 on: March 19, 2014, 06:31:18 PM »

But on the other side, if I were a recruit with the potential to play at the next level, I would look at the present roster of underachievers and question Lavins ability to get me to the next level. I say dump him now, take the hit for a year or two and then hope the next coach gets the program in gear. Honestly, do you really believe that things will get better over the next few years with the current staff?  Do you really believe that high level recruits are still considering this program as an option? 

I do think that high level recruits are still considering the program and that keeping Lavin is viable if he's really engaged.  I also think that ripping the band aid off now and trying to fix it while we have a stable of talent (similar to Lavin taking over for Norm) is better than doing it two years from now if those recruits don't work out.   Tough spot

boo3

« Reply #191 on: March 19, 2014, 06:37:40 PM »

...and then 2 years from now you will be calling for the next guy's head..It won't end..

« Reply #192 on: March 19, 2014, 11:10:19 PM »

[/quote

5 FT isn't on the coach? We took 37 3 pt shots and the coach could have demanded they take the ball to the basket to draw fouls. Jeezzzz do you even have any idea what a coach does?

hnk

« Reply #193 on: March 01, 2015, 09:11:27 AM »
The program step by step is improving. 

dR3w

« Reply #194 on: March 01, 2015, 09:22:46 AM »
The program step by step is improving. 

What criteria are you using for improving?  Record?  Attendance? Recruiting?  Graduation rate?  Etc .  I hope next year at this time you can say this, but I doubt ( based on current projected roster) that next years team will be an improvement on this years team.  Time will tell.

hnk

« Reply #195 on: March 01, 2015, 09:28:10 AM »
Next year?  Way, way to soon to tell......are CO and/or Sheed back?  What's the recruiting class like?  I could and will make a  case things will  be fine and fun next year.....just need a few pieces to fall in place and they could.  Program could be on right path.  I think it is.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 09:28:44 AM by hnk »

Johnny23

« Reply #196 on: March 01, 2015, 09:31:31 AM »
This staff better start recruiting some big bodies or this team will get owned on the glass next year.

hnk

« Reply #197 on: March 01, 2015, 09:36:58 AM »
If Chris comes back, I think we'll get Diallo and have twin towers starting with Adonis and Ali as back ups....that wouldn't be too shabby....and still have JUCO and transfer possibilities.

hnk

« Reply #198 on: March 01, 2015, 09:37:38 AM »
Not to mention 7-1 Greek possibility.

Johnny23

« Reply #199 on: March 01, 2015, 09:52:57 AM »
^  Those would be nice options if they get the 7'1 Greek kid too which I wasn't familiar with. Diallo is a long shot for sure. He would be a HUGE help on the glass in and defending the post. The verdict is still out on Adonis' conditioning which concerns me. I hope he can run up and down for 20 minutes a game and be productive at that size. Ali isn't really much of a boarder. More of a finesse, offensive minded big man. But he seems to show some toughness so hopefully he improves as a rebounder and can defend the post next year. Big, active post guys and a true pg are what this team needs most.