Obekpa

• 479 replies

Tha Kid

Re: Obekpa
« Reply #380 on: April 15, 2014, 12:42:47 PM »
So his run of double figure scoring games brought his average up to 3ppg?

Typical Baldi, avoiding a direct question when he's been had.
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #381 on: April 15, 2014, 01:25:39 PM »
@ tha kid. Of course I'm a St Johns fan. I Even watched every second of that NIT game. Can all of you fans who wrote the book on fandom say the same?

I will say this, this current team is probably my least favorite ever at St Johns

Poison

« Reply #382 on: April 15, 2014, 01:33:37 PM »
@ tha kid. Of course I'm a St Johns fan. I Even watched every second of that NIT game. Can all of you fans who wrote the book on fandom say the same?

I will say this, this current team is probably my least favorite ever at St Johns

IDK, the 95-96 team that quit every single time anything became hard was a pretty unlikeable group. I still think we have guys that compete. Not all of them, but some of them. The current team is only half a team. We have hard workers, punks, oversensitive pussies and guys that just an incomplete because we haven't seen them much at all.

We won't know what we have in terms of personnel until we finish recruiting, and even then, everyone will have to buy into Lavin's system of not having a defined system to buy into. IMO, the only way next year is a success if if Harrison, Greene, Pointer and Branch can lead the team by example. There were no leaders last year. Your leader can't be a punk. This isn't the NBA, or the NFL.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 01:36:24 PM by Poison »

SJUFAN

« Reply #383 on: April 15, 2014, 01:47:08 PM »

IDK, the 95-96 team that quit every single time anything became hard was a pretty unlikeable group. I still think we have guys that compete. Not all of them, but some of them. The current team is only half a team. We have hard workers, punks, oversensitive pussies and guys that just an incomplete because we haven't seen them much at all.

We won't know what we have in terms of personnel until we finish recruiting, and even then, everyone will have to buy into Lavin's system of not having a defined system to buy into. IMO, the only way next year is a success if if Harrison, Greene, Pointer and Branch can lead the team by example. There were no leaders last year. Your leader can't be a punk. This isn't the NBA, or the NFL.

Let's not forget that this is the first year that the team will have the same lead assistant for consecutive years. Can't down play the importance of that.

Tha Kid

« Reply #384 on: April 15, 2014, 02:10:01 PM »

I know you are...so how do you not realize that Obekpa improved?  You must just be stirring the pot then.  He looked different the last 10 games of the season.  Very noticeable.

« Reply #385 on: April 15, 2014, 02:18:10 PM »

Probably because you enjoyed every second of it.

pmg911

« Reply #386 on: April 15, 2014, 02:20:15 PM »

I know you are...so how do you not realize that Obekpa improved?  You must just be stirring the pot then.  He looked different the last 10 games of the season.  Very noticeable.

I just don't see this "improvement" everyone else does...

If the kid put as much effort into rebounding the ball as he does trying to block shots, he might lead the country in rebounding.

He has a ton of potential but he needs a ton of work...

« Reply #387 on: April 15, 2014, 02:24:50 PM »

I just don't see this "improvement" everyone else does...

If the kid put as much effort into rebounding the ball as he does trying to block shots, he might lead the country in rebounding.

He has a ton of potential but he needs a ton of work...

+1. He does one thing extraordinarily well and against a perimeter oriented team that is taken away. He needs to become a much better rebounder and offensively I'd actually throw him a bone more often.

The Pistons used to run their first offensive possession every game to go to Ben Wallace. He didn't get many touches after that but that always ignited everyone especially if he converted. 
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Marillac

« Reply #388 on: April 15, 2014, 03:46:51 PM »
He clearly improved.  That doesn't mean he turned into Wilt Chamberlain.  We were a better team with him on the floor on both ends at the end of the season.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 03:48:39 PM by Marillac »

Tha Kid

« Reply #389 on: April 15, 2014, 04:29:16 PM »
He clearly improved.  That doesn't mean he turned into Wilt Chamberlain.  We were a better team with him on the floor on both ends at the end of the season.

When me and Marillac are constantly agreeing, and Dave, PMG and Baldi are agreeing, you know things are wacky in the Jungle!

I find it hard to believe you guys noticed 0 improvement when the kid scored in double figures 4 out of 5 games in January/February when he had never scored in double figures before at St. John's.  His footwork and touch seemed improved.  Like Marillac said, he wasn't a stud, but he was better than a total non-option for once.  The last 10 games of the season (omitting Providence and NIT where he barely played and was clearly not himself) he averaged nearly 7 ppg and 6 rpg.  If Whitesell had any effect on the guy, and can continue to, I assume you'd all agree that we'd be ecstatic with 7-8 ppg, 6-7 rpg to go with his blocks next year, right?  That's what I envision from Obekpa at a minimum IF he gets his head on straight.  If he doesn't I don't want him around, but have to think he is if he's coming back.  I think he has realistically has the potential for 8-9 ppg, 8-9 rpg and the blocks if he really dedicates himself next year.

hnk

« Reply #390 on: April 15, 2014, 04:54:22 PM »
And isn't playing on a bad wheel like he was at the end of the season

Tha Kid

« Reply #391 on: April 15, 2014, 05:06:17 PM »

Great point, that's right about when his streak ended.

Marillac

« Reply #392 on: April 15, 2014, 06:53:01 PM »

Great point, that's right about when his streak ended.

And so did the team's.  Coincidence?

« Reply #393 on: April 15, 2014, 07:03:26 PM »

When me and Marillac are constantly agreeing, and Dave, PMG and Baldi are agreeing, you know things are wacky in the Jungle!

I find it hard to believe you guys noticed 0 improvement when the kid scored in double figures 4 out of 5 games in January/February when he had never scored in double figures before at St. John's.  His footwork and touch seemed improved.  Like Marillac said, he wasn't a stud, but he was better than a total non-option for once.  The last 10 games of the season (omitting Providence and NIT where he barely played and was clearly not himself) he averaged nearly 7 ppg and 6 rpg.  If Whitesell had any effect on the guy, and can continue to, I assume you'd all agree that we'd be ecstatic with 7-8 ppg, 6-7 rpg to go with his blocks next year, right?  That's what I envision from Obekpa at a minimum IF he gets his head on straight.  If he doesn't I don't want him around, but have to think he is if he's coming back.  I think he has realistically has the potential for 8-9 ppg, 8-9 rpg and the blocks if he really dedicates himself next year.

I question Pmg and Dave's loyalty. Obviously they weren't watching games either. Not close enough to notice the improvement anyway  ;)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 07:04:15 PM by Marco Baldi »

Tiznow

« Reply #394 on: April 15, 2014, 11:14:13 PM »
In the know posters?  Would that be the guy posting three weeks ago that the AD was "done"? 

Sorry, in-the-know was meant ironically. Sometimes I forget what plonkers some readers are. In future I'll festoon my japes with smiley faces so you can identify them.

Can you name the in the know guys so that I can stop wasting time with reading posts that ridicule a coach for having endured prostate cancer?

I don't ridicule the coach for having prostate cancer. I ridicule the coach for blaming his professional failures on his prostate. It's hardly a subtle distinction and yet it went right over your head.

I know the board has some weasels.  I was just hoping we had someone in the know.

RedVet

« Reply #395 on: April 15, 2014, 11:23:13 PM »
In the know posters?  Would that be the guy posting three weeks ago that the AD was "done"? 

Sorry, in-the-know was meant ironically. Sometimes I forget what plonkers some readers are. In future I'll festoon my japes with smiley faces so you can identify them.

Can you name the in the know guys so that I can stop wasting time with reading posts that ridicule a coach for having endured prostate cancer?

I don't ridicule the coach for having prostate cancer. I ridicule the coach for blaming his professional failures on his prostate. It's hardly a subtle distinction and yet it went right over your head.

I don't recall Lavin ever "blaming his professional failures" on his prostate cancer. Perhaps you give us a quote or two.

Poison

« Reply #396 on: April 15, 2014, 11:41:37 PM »
We all know that Obekpa is athletic, and that he's a great shot blocker. But there is something missing in his game that I don't think can be taught. I'm talking about fire. Defense is about will IMO. Box out. Move it. Want that ball more than the other guy, or any other guy.

If Obekpa really wants to be a pro, he needs to take the game more seriously, and play harder. Much harder. I'm rooting for him, but he's gotta put the work in.

Marillac

« Reply #397 on: April 15, 2014, 11:48:04 PM »
We all know that Obekpa is athletic, and that he's a great shot blocker. But there is something missing in his game that I don't think can be taught. I'm talking about fire. Defense is about will IMO. Box out. Move it. Want that ball more than the other guy, or any other guy.

If Obekpa really wants to be a pro, he needs to take the game more seriously, and play harder. Much harder. I'm rooting for him, but he's gotta put the work in.
I think you are selling the kid short.  He was barely in the top 75 in his class and is only a soph center.  He's right where he should be. 

goredmen

« Reply #398 on: April 16, 2014, 12:26:53 AM »

I think you are selling the kid short.  He was barely in the top 75 in his class and is only a soph center.  He's right where he should be.

I think he's dead on in regards to his work ethic on the court during games. Too often he just goes through the motions. He also doesn't have the best IQ as he goes for blocks he has no chance of getting taking himself out of rebounding position. Another problem is he took way too many jump shots with the shot clock still in the 20s. He should never take a jump shot with more than 2 seconds on the shot clock

Marillac

« Reply #399 on: April 16, 2014, 12:53:05 AM »

I think he's dead on in regards to his work ethic on the court during games. Too often he just goes through the motions. He also doesn't have the best IQ as he goes for blocks he has no chance of getting taking himself out of rebounding position. Another problem is he took way too many jump shots with the shot clock still in the 20s. He should never take a jump shot with more than 2 seconds on the shot clock

I didn't like the jumpshots...I'll give you that.  They were not too common, though, and he stayed down low far more than anyone else that we had.  He was also the only good screener out of the group and really the only one that looked to help others.  If you check a lot of our pretty plays, they usually started with a back screen or down screen from Obekpa away from the action. 

I disagree about the basketball IQ.  It was clear from his high school days that he possessed very good vision and passing ability.  He plays a little nonchalant for my liking at times, but he was only a soph and his OSNA teams were wild.  Old habits die hard.  He made plenty of mistakes this year--like the offensive foul on the screen against Providence--but it was mostly from trying to do too much. 

In terms of hard work...nobody improved their body or strength more than CO this past year.  Sampson came back a string bean yet again, but CO put on like 25 pounds of muscle.  His positioning was far improved at the end of the season and he even had a few nice post moves during our winning stretch.  It was no coincidence we started winning when he and Jordan started playing well.  I'd love to see a Horford-CO platoon at center and would really like to see them on the floor together.