Obekpa

• 479 replies
Re: Obekpa
« Reply #400 on: April 16, 2014, 02:42:52 AM »
He clearly improved.  That doesn't mean he turned into Wilt Chamberlain.  We were a better team with him on the floor on both ends at the end of the season.

When me and Marillac are constantly agreeing, and Dave, PMG and Baldi are agreeing, you know things are wacky in the Jungle!

I find it hard to believe you guys noticed 0 improvement when the kid scored in double figures 4 out of 5 games in January/February when he had never scored in double figures before at St. John's.  His footwork and touch seemed improved.  Like Marillac said, he wasn't a stud, but he was better than a total non-option for once.  The last 10 games of the season (omitting Providence and NIT where he barely played and was clearly not himself) he averaged nearly 7 ppg and 6 rpg.  If Whitesell had any effect on the guy, and can continue to, I assume you'd all agree that we'd be ecstatic with 7-8 ppg, 6-7 rpg to go with his blocks next year, right?  That's what I envision from Obekpa at a minimum IF he gets his head on straight.  If he doesn't I don't want him around, but have to think he is if he's coming back.  I think he has realistically has the potential for 8-9 ppg, 8-9 rpg and the blocks if he really dedicates himself next year.

I think he is better than given credit but probably not as good as he thinks he is. It is tough being a big man because sometimes you're jostling for position only for a guard to not give you the ball and clank a long jumper. I can see how that would be frustrating.

During that stretch guys were feeding him some more and gaining some confidence in giving him the ball. If he can play like that with just a little more focus on rebounding then wow!

No matter what he has to be more mature. He can't have the D-Lo eye roll if things aren't going his way. Has to figure out a way to overcome and play his game. Jeez I feel like this can be said for every player on this team. So frustrating.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Foad

« Reply #401 on: April 16, 2014, 08:30:59 AM »
I don't recall Lavin ever "blaming his professional failures" on his prostate cancer. Perhaps you give us a quote or two.

I'd be happy to supply you with an example - although if you haven't heard Lavin's prostate being batted around you haven't been paying attention. Until poor Cap snuffed it it was all anyone talked about:

Steve Lavin spent much of a March 2014 appearance on the FAN with Fat Mike Francesa campaigning - begging really, it was quite unseemly - for an NCAA berth. Toward the end of the interview, around the 13 minute mark, in discussing the program's progress  (try saying that three times fast, it's impossible) during his tenure, Coach Tesla noted that SJU has made the post season in 3 of the 4 years since he'd been named head coach, "and the one year we didn't make it, I was out with cancer."

(That splat you just heard was Mike Dunlap being run over by a bus.)

Thus did Steve Lavin blame a professional failure on his prostate cancer.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/?podcast_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.podtrac.com%2Fpts%2Fredirect.mp3%2Fnyc.podcast.play.it%2Fmedia%2Fd0%2Fd0%2Fd1%2Fd4%2FdU%2FdT%2Fd0%2F14UT0_3.MP3%3Fauthtok%3D5562348664789625599_YVmBkpFlgNlVoECBpEfC0jUrm4&podcast_name=Mike+Francesa+with+Steve+Lavin&podcast_artist=Mike+Francesa&station_id=62&tag=pages&dcid=CBS.NY

Let me make a prediction: you're going to argue that that quote does not mean what it says because blah blah blah in context he meant yadda yadda yadda according to White and Strunk blah blah blah Chicago Manual of Style etcetera etcetera etcetera. Let me make a further prediction: I will not answer because I don't care. Having proved my case beyond a reasonable doubt I retire, tarrying only long enough to strike you with a preemptive egg:

"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean, neither more nor less."

"The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

"The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "is which is to be master, that's all."

Foad

« Reply #402 on: April 16, 2014, 08:33:19 AM »
I know the board has some weasels.

Yes, at least one. Visit www.theweasels.com for more info.

« Reply #403 on: April 16, 2014, 09:06:25 AM »
Obekpa def improved and I think he would have improved more if Lavin would have played him more in the beginning of the season. The problem with Obekpa is the place he can improve the most, involves skils he already possesses. Needs to average 8 or 9 boards a game.

Poison

« Reply #404 on: April 16, 2014, 10:27:40 AM »
Obekpa def improved and I think he would have improved more if Lavin would have played him more in the beginning of the season. The problem with Obekpa is the place he can improve the most, involves skils he already possesses. Needs to average 8 or 9 boards a game.

Both Sampson and Obekpa didn't really improve last year, at first. They started the season very slowly IMO. I know I've said it 1000 times, but you can learn a lot about a player when they return after their freshman season. By that point, they know what they need to do to make a leap.

Lavor Postell, Ron Artest, Darryl Hill, Lamont Hamilton, DJ Kennedy, Paris Horne and D'Angelo Harrison all became much better players as sophs. IDK why Sampson didn't work on his passing, his rebounding or why he didn't lift weight weights like a madman over the summer? Obekpa had no move with his back to the basket as a freshman. When he came back this year, he still didn't, but that didn't stop him from occasionally trying one, even though every single person in Alumni Hall cringed when he did it. Sometimes it actually worked, but clearly, it wasn't a move that he was comfortable making.

Why is it that we can all see that this is something he should be working on every single day, and he's not showing any signs of having done that? It's great that these kids went to Europe, but what about working hard on your game over the summer? Clearly, no one learned anything about basketball in Europe.

« Reply #405 on: April 16, 2014, 10:38:23 AM »
He is worlds away from being competent offensively. I do not even care about that part. If he can work on his rebounding to go along with his shot blocking he will be an absolute force. 9 boards and 3 or 4 blocks is attainable I believe.

desco80

« Reply #406 on: April 16, 2014, 11:09:22 AM »
In the know posters?  Would that be the guy posting three weeks ago that the AD was "done"? 

Sorry, in-the-know was meant ironically. Sometimes I forget what plonkers some readers are. In future I'll festoon my japes with smiley faces so you can identify them.

Can you name the in the know guys so that I can stop wasting time with reading posts that ridicule a coach for having endured prostate cancer?

I don't ridicule the coach for having prostate cancer. I ridicule the coach for blaming his professional failures on his prostate. It's hardly a subtle distinction and yet it went right over your head.

I don't recall Lavin ever "blaming his professional failures" on his prostate cancer. Perhaps you give us a quote or two.

Then clearly you've never heard the man speak.
All he does is blame things on personal tragedies.    That's his M.O.    Well, that, and having a limited basketball acumen. 

« Reply #407 on: April 16, 2014, 11:17:03 AM »
In the know posters?  Would that be the guy posting three weeks ago that the AD was "done"? 

Sorry, in-the-know was meant ironically. Sometimes I forget what plonkers some readers are. In future I'll festoon my japes with smiley faces so you can identify them.

Can you name the in the know guys so that I can stop wasting time with reading posts that ridicule a coach for having endured prostate cancer?

I don't ridicule the coach for having prostate cancer. I ridicule the coach for blaming his professional failures on his prostate. It's hardly a subtle distinction and yet it went right over your head.

All he does is blame things on personal tragedies.    That's his M.O.    Well, that, and having a limited basketball acumen. 

St. John's: The only fan base low enough to take shots at a man for missing time at his job with cancer, and then having the audacity to say it may have affected performance. 

boo3

« Reply #408 on: April 16, 2014, 11:20:17 AM »
 you guys are #$%^ed

Foad

« Reply #409 on: April 16, 2014, 11:22:20 AM »
St. John's: The only fan base low enough to take shots at a man for missing time at his job with cancer, and then having the audacity to say it may have affected performance. 

#SanctimoniousGasbaggery
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 11:22:48 AM by Foad »

boo3

« Reply #410 on: April 16, 2014, 11:28:27 AM »
 You all know Lavin is going to have his best season at St. John's next season, and take the team further than it's been a while... Then he will get that fat extension..  Then he will really shit the bed.

This is now my mentality.....Bizarro Storm

Foad

« Reply #411 on: April 16, 2014, 11:33:12 AM »
you guys are #$%^ed

Thank goodness you have returned from your hiatus. Some people find harridans such as yourself tiring, but I am not one of them. I appreciate a good scolding and especially from one such as yourself who so obviously prides himself on his own objectivity and rectitude. You perhaps did not hear but while you were away the site owner solicited votes for Jungle Forum Awards. I'm pleased to report that I wrote in your name both as Most Valuable Fishwife and Best Supporting Moral Compass. #FingersCrossed #DontForgetToThankTheAcademy #TheyLikeMeTheyLikeMe

desco80

« Reply #412 on: April 16, 2014, 11:41:44 AM »

First off, I wasn't even referring to his cancer.  I was merely lamenting that he blames the team's failures on a whole host of personal tragedies.  What I was thinking of, is how he makes public spectacles out of everything that happens in his players' lives.   There's no need for that.
But that's ok, because no one else has ever gotten sick - so he gets a lifetime pass from accountability. 

boo3

« Reply #413 on: April 16, 2014, 11:55:18 AM »
you guys are #$%^ed

Thank goodness you have returned from your hiatus. Some people find harridans such as yourself tiring, but I am not one of them. I appreciate a good scolding and especially from one such as yourself who so obviously prides himself on his own objectivity and rectitude. You perhaps did not hear but while you were away the site owner solicited votes for Jungle Forum Awards. I'm pleased to report that I wrote in your name both as Most Valuable Fishwife and Best Supporting Moral Compass. #FingersCrossed #DontForgetToThankTheAcademy #TheyLikeMeTheyLikeMe

that was an insult, right?  Too many big words...Glad to know I was missed.. Seriously, "fishwife"? 

« Reply #414 on: April 16, 2014, 11:58:44 AM »
you guys are #$%^ed

that was an insult, right?  Too many big words...Glad to know I was missed.. Seriously, "fishwife"? 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fishwife

« Reply #415 on: April 16, 2014, 12:07:12 PM »

First off, I wasn't even referring to his cancer.  I was merely lamenting that he blames the team's failures on a whole host of personal tragedies.  What I was thinking of, is how he makes public spectacles out of everything that happens in his players' lives.   There's no need for that.
But that's ok, because no one else has ever gotten sick - so he gets a lifetime pass from accountability. 

I'd like to know who exactly is giving him a lifetime pass from accountability? Seems like a made up thing on these boards. No one is saying Lavin is not accountable for the team's struggles. Absolutely no one. He has not had the level of success any of us expected, regardless of personal issues within the team. So I'm not sure where this whole mindset comes from.

« Reply #416 on: April 16, 2014, 12:18:15 PM »

I'd like to know who exactly is giving him a lifetime pass from accountability? Seems like a made up thing on these boards. No one is saying Lavin is not accountable for the team's struggles. Absolutely no one. He has not had the level of success any of us expected, regardless of personal issues within the team. So I'm not sure where this whole mindset comes from.

Now that Lavin finally drove MCNPA crazy and he was forced to burn his pom poms and flush all of his Kool Aid, I would nominate you 

« Reply #417 on: April 16, 2014, 12:23:30 PM »

Now that Lavin finally drove MCNPA crazy and he was forced to burn his pom poms and flush all of his Kool Aid, I would nominate you 

I'm honored ;)

Hey if you want to call me a kool-aid drinker that's fine. I just don't think Lavin is the worst face for a program, and I don't jump off the ledge at the first sign of some bad news.

Foad

« Reply #418 on: April 16, 2014, 12:30:39 PM »
No one is saying Lavin is not accountable for the team's struggles. Absolutely no one.

Absolutely no one except the head coach, who accepts no responsibility for anything. Among the excuses he cited this year were his own cancer, 5 deaths related to his student athletes, his father's death, attendance at candle light vigils and open casket funerals, an injury to Obekpa, the Sanchezes having a baby, and his teams reliance on freshmen and underclassmen. Last year we were the youngest team in America and Phil Greene was injured and Harrison rolled his eyes and blah blah blah. It's a shame he failed to heed the words of his alleged mentor and former best man, John Wooden:

“Never make excuses. Your friends don't need them and your foes won't believe them.”

« Reply #419 on: April 16, 2014, 12:34:05 PM »

I'm honored ;)

Hey if you want to call me a kool-aid drinker that's fine. I just don't think Lavin is the worst face for a program, and I don't jump off the ledge at the first sign of some bad news.

I don't see any potential replacement that would be better for the program. With that being said his coaching last season was almost comically bad. I don't expect him to be Pitino but he HAS to do a better job than he has coaching the team.  The very least a coach can do is  figure out who his best players are and settle in on some kind of rotation. As far as his goofy quotes they don't bother me as I don't take him seriously but since we have stunk I can understand why they bother other people.