Obekpa

• 479 replies

Poison

Re: Obekpa
« Reply #440 on: April 17, 2014, 01:01:49 PM »
Maybe it's just me, but I don't find your cancer "humor" to be very funny. If other people do, please speak up, and I'll happily give you all the credit for your insight and comedy that you are clearly looking for. Deal?

You overestimate slightly my interest in obtaining your approval: it's closer to zero than what you suppose. My interest here consists entirely of casting my little spoofs and monkeyshines upon the waters; if they make it up the flag pole and whether they hunt or not is less of a concern.  I take joy in having written them, not in having them read. By the time most of them are out of my mouth I've already forgotten what I said.

Admittedly I'm not a delicate sort, as evidently are you. I'd never have guessed. If you find my words offensive should perhaps you butch up a bit? Act more manly and so on, as you so often exhort others to. These are after all just words. Failing that by all means continue to use me as the people of Salem used witches: as an exemplar by which to measure your own goodness.

I find that often when people say that they don't care, they really do. It might be small, but there is a following, so carry on.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #441 on: April 17, 2014, 01:57:06 PM »
What will also be interesting to see how the new President views the basketball program and Lavin. Already Dr. Gempesaw has been more visible around campus talking with students. I think he will be a lot more involved in the school in general.

That being said he won't arrive officially until August so the school could hold off on Lavin's contract without being suspicious for part of BBall season.  Depending how the season goes early on the new administration could make changes.
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #442 on: April 17, 2014, 02:00:26 PM »
Both Sampson and Obekpa didn't really improve last year, at first. They started the season very slowly IMO. 

It wasn't February yet.  Why would you expect to see improvement at an earlier point in the season than that?

RedVet

« Reply #443 on: April 17, 2014, 07:19:41 PM »
Maybe it's just me, but I don't find your cancer "humor" to be very funny. If other people do, please speak up, and I'll happily give you all the credit for your insight and comedy that you are clearly looking for. Deal?

You overestimate slightly my interest in obtaining your approval: it's closer to zero than what you suppose. My interest here consists entirely of casting my little spoofs and monkeyshines upon the waters; if they make it up the flag pole and whether they hunt or not is less of a concern.  I take joy in having written them, not in having them read. By the time most of them are out of my mouth I've already forgotten what I said.

Admittedly I'm not a delicate sort, as evidently are you. I'd never have guessed. If you find my words offensive should perhaps you butch up a bit? Act more manly and so on, as you so often exhort others to. These are after all just words. Failing that by all means continue to use me as the people of Salem used witches: as an exemplar by which to measure your own goodness.

[Zzzzzzz]

LoganK

« Reply #444 on: April 17, 2014, 07:27:33 PM »

Foad, be real here.  If you only care that they are written; use a journal.  Obviously you care if they are read, otherwise you wouldn't post them.
That being said, most of the time I do appreciate your posts and the humor therein - though I too wasn't a huge fan of the cancer comment.

Tiznow

« Reply #445 on: April 17, 2014, 08:40:02 PM »
What will also be interesting to see how the new President views the basketball program and Lavin. Already Dr. Gempesaw has been more visible around campus talking with students. I think he will be a lot more involved in the school in general.

That being said he won't arrive officially until August so the school could hold off on Lavin's contract without being suspicious for part of BBall season.  Depending how the season goes early on the new administration could make changes.

Is it true that Baldi knows the new guy? 

Foad

« Reply #446 on: April 17, 2014, 09:09:24 PM »
Foad, be real here.  If you only care that they are written; use a journal.  Obviously you care if they are read, otherwise you wouldn't post them.

Oysters do not stop producing fruit because swine are unable to appreciate pearls.

« Reply #447 on: April 18, 2014, 12:31:03 AM »
I think this board was off base thinking Lavin could not settle on a rotation and was experimenting with starters and walk ons to find the right combination. What likely happened is he had several guys who were not accepting their roles and free lancing to showcase what they thought their skills were to get to the next level. He kept varying starters and benching players even with the occasional suspension because he had selfish players putting themselves over the team needs. Give him credit for trying to
impose order and discipline. Balamou sudden  appearance was likely message to Jordan we we are prepared to move on without you if you don't commit to the game plan. He drew the line with Harrison the year before. There is a method to what occurred. Superficial analyst was Lavin is fickle. Deeper analysis shows he was trying to get players to commit to program. I would rather have coach who will not succumb to fan pressure. And do the right thing long term .

boo3

« Reply #448 on: April 18, 2014, 12:34:54 AM »
I think this board was off base thinking Lavin could not settle on a rotation and was experimenting with starters and walk ons to find the right combination. What likely happened is he had several guys who were not accepting their roles and free lancing to showcase what they thought their skills were to get to the next level. He kept varying starters and benching players even with the occasional suspension because he had selfish players putting themselves over the team needs. Give him credit for trying to
impose order and discipline. Balamou sudden  appearance was likely message to Jordan we we are prepared to move on without you if you don't commit to the game plan. He drew the line with Harrison the year before. There is a method to what occurred. Superficial analyst was Lavin is fickle. Deeper analysis shows he was trying to get players to commit to program. I would rather have coach who will not succumb to fan pressure. And do the right thing long term .

I think there is some truth to this...

goredmen

« Reply #449 on: April 18, 2014, 12:54:09 AM »

Then how come we seem to be the only program with that type of problem? Haven't heard of other teams having multiple players not buying in or being selfish for the whole season. The team seemed to be playing pretty unselfishly during the little run we went on in February. Shouldn't the Harrison suspension the previous season have sent a message to everybody and eradicated this issue? I don't think Phil Greene was demanding that he get extended minutes at point guard when it was obvious the offense was stagnant with him in there while there were two very capable point guards on the bench. If your theory is correct how come Jamal Branch, probably the least selfish kid on the team, rode the pine so much when he proved to be a solid contributor all season?

It's the coaches job to solve this type of problem one way or another. Lavin is a bad basketball coach. And that's not gonna change no matter how many excuses you make for him or how much you try to pin the blame elsewhere.

Foad

« Reply #450 on: April 18, 2014, 06:26:17 AM »
I think this board was off base thinking Lavin could not settle on a rotation and was experimenting with starters and walk ons to find the right combination. What likely happened is  <psychic reading hosed>

The late CRGreen, a long time Lavin observer, disagrees with your assessment. He often talked about how while at UCLA Lavin was willing to lose games early while mindlessly tinkering with his lineups and predicted that that practice would continue at SJU.

"Depends on how quickly the new talent meshes, and how many games into the season Steve will be "experimenting" with lineups before settling on a final lineup and rotation"

"He will continue to use pre conference games to experiment with lineups and combinations that will drive fans absolutely crazy"

"[He suffered] Early season losses (even blowouts) while he tinkered with the roster and lineups (much as we saw here early last season) that might have been avoided with a few more cupcakes - but then, if you're tinkering to see what works best, what insight is actually gleaned if your WALKONS could have beaten the opponent?"

CRGreen nailed Lavin's pathology cold - the only mistake he made is failing to realize that our walkons couldn't beat the cupcakes. From his grave he explains what happened with more insight than you display after having had the benefit of seeing it with your own two eyes. Deeper analysis indeed.

« Reply #451 on: April 18, 2014, 07:03:07 AM »

I think there is some truth to this...

If the "lessons" turn into losses then the coach who makes 40-thousand dollars plus a week isn't doing his job very well.  If he wants to teach and not coach, he should join the professors who work for squat and we should get a gamer here.

TONYD3

« Reply #452 on: April 18, 2014, 09:09:33 AM »
I am sorry and mean no disrespect but that analysis is way off base. Lav in does this shit every year. CR even admitted it. Early non conference games 1st priority is to win games, second to build confidence and to set a st lye of play, then to experiment with the roster. It doesn't take a scout to realize that Max and Marco had no business playing. Still he played them over our better players. Those 2 never should have been here. The love affair with Felix I dont understand either. It doesnt matter how hard he plays if he cant shoot or dribble.
I was furious in the begining of the season, Think coach did a great job to right the ship. Wish we made the tournament . LAvin was awful at the begining, cost us the season.
Since he regrouped, I am OK with giving him another season. The guy cant be stupid enough to make the same mistakes right?  think the assistants stepped in and told him he was being an idiot. When he shortened the rotation, we started winning.

nudginator59

« Reply #453 on: April 18, 2014, 11:15:23 AM »

Is it true that Baldi knows the new guy? 

Yup, met him in a bar.
Cougar O' Malley

nudginator59

« Reply #454 on: April 18, 2014, 11:23:03 AM »
TonyD3...If he makes the same mistakes again it isn't stupidity it's insanity and hopefully the new administration will catch onto it faster then the previous one...I agree with you, I am ok with giving home this season to make the tournament.
Cougar O' Malley

J Van

« Reply #455 on: April 18, 2014, 12:05:41 PM »
Bloody Brilliant!  He met him in a pub!

Tiznow

« Reply #456 on: April 18, 2014, 02:37:33 PM »
I think this board was off base thinking Lavin could not settle on a rotation and was experimenting with starters and walk ons to find the right combination. What likely happened is  <psychic reading hosed>

The late CRGreen, a long time Lavin observer, disagrees with your assessment. He often talked about how while at UCLA Lavin was willing to lose games early while mindlessly tinkering with his lineups and predicted that that practice would continue at SJU.

"Depends on how quickly the new talent meshes, and how many games into the season Steve will be "experimenting" with lineups before settling on a final lineup and rotation"

"He will continue to use pre conference games to experiment with lineups and combinations that will drive fans absolutely crazy"

"[He suffered] Early season losses (even blowouts) while he tinkered with the roster and lineups (much as we saw here early last season) that might have been avoided with a few more cupcakes - but then, if you're tinkering to see what works best, what insight is actually gleaned if your WALKONS could have beaten the opponent?"

CRGreen nailed Lavin's pathology cold - the only mistake he made is failing to realize that our walkons couldn't beat the cupcakes. From his grave he explains what happened with more insight than you display after having had the benefit of seeing it with your own two eyes. Deeper analysis indeed.

How about our coaches who could not beat the cupcakes with their top recruits?

Foad

« Reply #457 on: April 18, 2014, 02:57:49 PM »

How about our coaches who could not beat the cupcakes with their top recruits?

They're completely irrelevant.  Anything else I can clear up for you, let me know.

mkras99

« Reply #458 on: April 18, 2014, 04:01:23 PM »
http://www.redstormsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/041814aaa.html

Lavin Announces Center Chris Obekpa's Return To Red Storm

« Reply #459 on: April 18, 2014, 04:13:42 PM »
http://www.redstormsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/041814aaa.html

Lavin Announces Center Chris Obekpa's Return To Red Storm
Now that's what I call, "tinkering with a lineup."  :2funny:

Great news, and a smart decision by Obekpa. He'll be the man inside next year with Sanchez gone. Perhaps a Harrison-like renaissance?