Thanks Coach Lavin, good luck

• 1170 replies
Re: Thanks Coach Lavin, good luck
« Reply #460 on: January 26, 2015, 12:13:03 PM »
fyi I heard this past weekend they're ironing out an extension. Longer years, less per year.

big picture, this is a good move.  we need stability.

i said this before. i hope lavin has learned his lesson by not going hard in recruiting this past year. he can't rely on just selling playing time to get recruits.  we need at least two qualified BE caliber players every year. 

Learned his lesson by getting an extension?

« Reply #461 on: January 26, 2015, 12:24:38 PM »
The extension rumors are from Lavin and his people. 7 weeks and he is gone

« Reply #462 on: January 26, 2015, 12:25:47 PM »
I would be trilled to hear that Coach Lavin has received an extension.

SJUFAN

« Reply #463 on: January 26, 2015, 12:36:19 PM »

Really? Even if he makes a late run in the NCAA's tourney?

« Reply #464 on: January 26, 2015, 12:40:20 PM »

What happens next year? I'll tell you what, last place in big east. Last place in year 6...there is no one left to blame. Wave goodbye to Monasch too

mkras99

« Reply #465 on: January 26, 2015, 12:46:29 PM »
Baldi scoop, ten months in the making.

« Reply #466 on: January 26, 2015, 12:48:52 PM »

Did you mean late run TO the tourney. To make a run IN the tourney, I am pretty sure you have to make the tourney and we need a late run to get in

« Reply #467 on: January 26, 2015, 12:55:40 PM »
Baldi scoop, ten months in the making.

He will be right someday but not in 7 weeks.

Wods317

« Reply #468 on: January 26, 2015, 01:36:57 PM »
The overreactions game by game are just absurd. We beat one team and we are looking at bracketology and what seed we could be then we lose and its we need to fire Lavin. Let the season play out guys and then we worry about it after the season. If we don't make the ncaa this year he should be shown the door. Let's pick this up in a march anything before that with Lavin is nonsense.

If we sneak in the tourney as a 10 or 11 seed and get bounced in the 1st round, does he deserve to be back?

When did I ever say that. I said if he missed the tournament he should be gone. Otherwise obviously if we did make it would depend on how we play restof the season and in the Big East and NCAA whether he should be back. Also depends on the class he brings.

« Reply #469 on: January 26, 2015, 01:43:41 PM »
There is a large percentage of fans who understand Lavin took over a program in shambles, and had to start from scratch, and Rome was not built in a day. Respect has to be earned. We are relevant again, after ten plus years of failure. Just because the same few posters keep banging the fire Lavin drum does not mean that that is the consensus among the larger fan base.

« Reply #470 on: January 26, 2015, 01:45:35 PM »
There is a large percentage of fans who understand Lavin took over a program in shambles, and had to start from scratch, and Rome was not built in a day. Respect has to be earned. We are relevant again, after ten plus years of failure. Just because the same few posters keep banging the fire Lavin drum does not mean that that is the consensus among the larger fan base.

He was left an NCAA team and had plenty of scholarships to get his own players, which he did.

« Reply #471 on: January 26, 2015, 01:50:53 PM »
Will take 6 more years of Lavin over 1 with Norm.

« Reply #472 on: January 26, 2015, 01:59:06 PM »

100 x improvement over Norm, but I have to say def expected more than 1 tourney appearance. Didn't everyone?

« Reply #473 on: January 26, 2015, 02:03:59 PM »
I cannot believe how low the bar has been set by some fans. Who cares about about being freaking relevant. Anything but making the tournament should be considered a failure.

« Reply #474 on: January 26, 2015, 02:19:23 PM »
I would be trilled to hear that Coach Lavin has received an extension.

You don't give a crap if we make the ncaa or not, just keep Lavin.
Pretty pathetic.   I mean what the hell has he done.

Oh yeah keep the guy for making and getting smoked in the nit.

« Reply #475 on: January 26, 2015, 02:27:53 PM »

Excuse me, but this is his 5th year, not his first or second year. That is enough time to restore order, so dont give us the norm excuse.
So, if no ncaa tournament this year, it's not a failure?  The last 4 years wtf has he done.

HNe doesn't deserve the right for an extension.

« Reply #476 on: January 26, 2015, 02:28:56 PM »

100 x improvement over Norm, but I have to say def expected more than 1 tourney appearance. Didn't everyone?

I'm pretty sure I've said this before, but going into it, I would say I would have hoped for 2 tourney appearances in his first 5 years (I would have expected the appearances to be last year and this year, but I can't fault the guy for taking Norm's squad to the tourney).  So if he makes it this year, then I wouldn't have expected any more.  I would also have expected a win or two in the tourney by this year, so I think if he does anything less than make the tourney and win a game or two, then he will have been a disappointment overall -- in my view.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 02:29:43 PM by apesNapes »

« Reply #477 on: January 26, 2015, 02:30:06 PM »
I cannot believe how low the bar has been set by some fans. Who cares about about being freaking relevant. Anything but making the tournament should be considered a failure.

TY, maybe most sju fans don't give a shit about getting to the ncaa or not. Oh Lavin is such a nice guy, so keep him.
sad sad sad

« Reply #478 on: January 26, 2015, 02:32:11 PM »

Excuse me, but this is his 5th year, not his first or second year. That is enough time to restore order, so dont give us the norm excuse.
So, if no ncaa tournament this year, it's not a failure?  The last 4 years wtf has he done.

HNe doesn't deserve the right for an extension.

Is this the psuedo-reincarnation (pun intended) since you were supposedly done posting here about a month or so ago?

« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 02:33:13 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #479 on: January 26, 2015, 03:23:42 PM »
Baldi I agree with a lot of what you say on the staff but they didn't "inherit a NCAA team". No one predicted our success in 2010-2011 with any degree of seriousness. The last 2 years have been a bitter disappointment in terms of recruiting and particularly on the court results.

Also I don't get your comment on how retaining Lavin is bad for you as a SJU fan but good for you as a Gaels fan??