Thanks Coach Lavin, good luck

• 1170 replies
Re: Thanks Coach Lavin, good luck
« Reply #480 on: January 26, 2015, 03:29:38 PM »
Baldi I agree with a lot of what you say on the staff but they didn't "inherit a NCAA team". No one predicted our success in 2010-2011 with any degree of seriousness. The last 2 years have been a bitter disappointment in terms of recruiting and particularly on the court results.

Also I don't get your comment on how retaining Lavin is bad for you as a SJU fan but good for you as a Gaels fan??

Gaels keep Cluess

« Reply #481 on: January 26, 2015, 03:38:01 PM »
Obviously the recruiting buzz as of late has gotten some excited, we've seen this spiel before. Remember 2011 when we had the #3 recruiting class?? Pelle and Jakarr were ineligible, Lindsey transferred 2 weeks into the season, and Gathers decommitted... Why are people thinking this recruiting class will be different form that one for the better?!  If Lavin doesn't make the tournament this year he should be fired, end of story. Odds are at least 2 recruits he will bring if he gets re-signed in will be ineligible. Fire is ass unless we WIN a tourney game. I feel better with a coach who recruits a system, not 5 guys going 1 on 1 in a crowded lane and complaining about a foul every damn time. I honestly feel whoever we bring in as coach Sampson will stay, because all he seems to care about is playing time.

« Reply #482 on: January 26, 2015, 03:53:29 PM »
Gotcha. Not sure that we would target him though. I always thought Mass as the logical guy, but with what happened with him last year after the season and Manhattan's record this year (they are not good in a terrible conference) I have no idea who we would target.

goredmen

« Reply #483 on: January 26, 2015, 03:53:31 PM »
Geez the expectations of some fans are really really really low

TONYD3

« Reply #484 on: January 26, 2015, 04:00:45 PM »
I am so tired of losing. After I left the garden Sunday in didn't want to fire Lavin I wanted to physically chase him out of town. I have calmed down . Rome wasn't built in A day. I get that. But he better start building .  We can debate if he deserves an extension all day. But we need him to get extension . I want to keep Sampson and doughty . I won't believe that Jordan and obekpa leave, because it is to crazy of a thought. I also think he brings in some more players.
He better win vs crighton . They stink .

« Reply #485 on: January 26, 2015, 04:25:26 PM »
I am so tired of losing. After I left the garden Sunday in didn't want to fire Lavin I wanted to physically chase him out of town. I have calmed down . Rome wasn't built in A day. I get that. But he better start building .  We can debate if he deserves an extension all day. But we need him to get extension . I want to keep Sampson and doughty . I won't believe that Jordan and obekpa leave, because it is to crazy of a thought. I also think he brings in some more players.
Sampson will stay no matter who the coach is. He'll get a ton of playing time and that was the factor in him choosing St. John's.

Moose

« Reply #486 on: January 26, 2015, 04:25:44 PM »

Keeping the recruits won't be an issue for the new coach.  We will have tons of PT.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #487 on: January 26, 2015, 04:34:03 PM »
There is a large percentage of fans who understand Lavin took over a program in shambles, and had to start from scratch, and Rome was not built in a day. Respect has to be earned. We are relevant again, after ten plus years of failure. Just because the same few posters keep banging the fire Lavin drum does not mean that that is the consensus among the larger fan base.

Excuse me, but this is his 5th year, not his first or second year. That is enough time to restore order, so dont give us the norm excuse.
So, if no ncaa tournament this year, it's not a failure?  The last 4 years wtf has he done.

HNe doesn't deserve the right for an extension.

Is this the psuedo-reincarnation (pun intended) since you were supposedly done posting here about a month or so ago?

Oh well, I guess I changed my mind, to bad.
Keep your Lavin pom poms in your hands Dinkins.

« Reply #488 on: January 26, 2015, 04:44:11 PM »
Sampson will stay no matter who the coach is. He'll get a ton of playing time and that was the factor in him choosing St. John's.

Fact or opinion?  Have you spoken to Sampson about why he chose SJU?  I read more about his relationship with the staff than I did about him wanting playing time. 

Moose

« Reply #489 on: January 26, 2015, 04:49:14 PM »

Fact or opinion?  Have you spoken to Sampson about why he chose SJU?  I read more about his relationship with the staff than I did about him wanting playing time. 

Both were talked about extensively.

TONYD3

« Reply #490 on: January 26, 2015, 05:27:30 PM »
I have no inside knowledge. I think we lose both recruits if he is fired plus anyone we are still recruiting. Brandon Sampson isn't leaving his Lousianna to play for Tim Clueless. That is not a knock on Clueless either.

« Reply #491 on: January 26, 2015, 05:36:17 PM »
Can the season be over first before we have to hear all this bullshit again? Jesus Christ.

goredmen

« Reply #492 on: January 26, 2015, 05:41:02 PM »
I have no inside knowledge. I think we lose both recruits if he is fired plus anyone we are still recruiting. Brandon Sampson isn't leaving his Lousianna to play for Tim Clueless. That is not a knock on Clueless either.

Clueless won't be the next coach of SJU so no need to worry about that. He would not be a good hire anyway.

If Diallo commits elsewhere in the next few weeks, is Sampson good enough for Lav to keep his job if they are indeed unhappy with him? I'd say not even close

« Reply #493 on: January 26, 2015, 05:46:15 PM »

Clueless won't be the next coach of SJU so no need to worry about that. He would not be a good hire anyway.

If Diallo commits elsewhere in the next few weeks, is Sampson good enough for Lav to keep his job if they are indeed unhappy with him? I'd say not even close

One solo top recruit is is good enough, hell no.

« Reply #494 on: January 26, 2015, 06:15:33 PM »
Just want to know if some posters believe that he can save his job or deserves another year by just getting into the tourney this year

Some posters, with an ounce of common sense, believe that it is ridiculous to evaluate the performance of a head coach and determine whether or not he "deserves another year" mid-season.  Some have learned this by following the lead of sage Giant owners, Tisch and Mara.

« Reply #495 on: January 26, 2015, 06:25:27 PM »
Usually I lean more on the side of defending Baldi but in this case he's really stirring the pot hard. Just unwarranted attention.

As for Sampson, Lavin played an instrumental role in developing that relationship. Chiles on the ground started the digging the roots in Louisiana which will be more fruitful. They have A LOT of great young kids (2017-2019) that will certainly be giving SJU a look.

I think Lavin and staff have had their faults, string of bad luck, but ultimately as of right now the grass will not be any greener without them. Best to stick by them and hope that continuity will help the program rise to another level.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Moose

« Reply #496 on: January 26, 2015, 06:35:11 PM »
Usually I lean more on the side of defending Baldi but in this case he's really stirring the pot hard. Just unwarranted attention.

As for Sampson, Lavin played an instrumental role in developing that relationship. Chiles on the ground started the digging the roots in Louisiana which will be more fruitful. They have A LOT of great young kids (2017-2019) that will certainly be giving SJU a look.

I think Lavin and staff have had their faults, string of bad luck, but ultimately as of right now the grass will not be any greener without them. Best to stick by them and hope that continuity will help the program rise to another level.

Your last paragraph neither you or I know for a fact.

« Reply #497 on: January 26, 2015, 06:38:40 PM »

Continuity of what Dave, the NIT? I thought when he came here, he was gonna bring us to the promise land?
Yeah, ok I gave him a pass for the first two years of his own recruits, but what happened last year? and this year doesn't look to good for making the NCAA appearance.
Want to keep him so we can keep his recruits? well ok, but give him a one year extension. That give him 2 years, plus short term extensions will force him to keep recruiting, and not take a year off like he and staff did last year.

« Reply #498 on: January 26, 2015, 06:40:30 PM »
Hopefully we will not be having this same conversation next year

« Reply #499 on: January 26, 2015, 06:41:03 PM »
Dave do you think we need to bring in a X's and O's guy to replace Whitesell?  I'm not close enough (or qualified enough) to make that determination, but even with Whitesell for 2 years we are still seeing issues with roster management, guys playing their roles, player development etc.  I don't speak to educated basketball folks within knowledge of the program's inner-workings, so have no baselines to compare except that with Dunlap and lesser ranked players, the team had its best year by far under Lavin.