Thanks Coach Lavin, good luck

• 1170 replies

TONYD3

Re: Thanks Coach Lavin, good luck
« Reply #500 on: January 26, 2015, 06:44:47 PM »
Give him a two year contract . I am confident he will get us players. If we suck next year. Send him packing. Firing him now would be mistake . Brandon Sampson isn't good enough to keep him , but the 3/5 other players he will bring in are good enough to keep him. Gotta sweep this week.

« Reply #501 on: January 26, 2015, 06:47:39 PM »
Give him a two year contract . I am confident he will get us players. If we suck next year. Send him packing. Firing him now would be mistake . Brandon Sampson isn't good enough to keep him , but the 3/5 other players he will bring in are good enough to keep him. Gotta sweep this week.

Where do you see this team finishing next year?

« Reply #502 on: January 26, 2015, 06:50:00 PM »

If he can land a top 10 class, i think we can be top 5 in BE.  i think our next class will be more talented, more well-rounded than his first.

« Reply #503 on: January 26, 2015, 06:54:10 PM »

If he can land a top 10 class, i think we can be top 5 in BE.  i think our next class will be more talented, more well-rounded than his first.

Finish top 5 with brand new starting 5.? Or you have Obekpa and Rysheed back?

« Reply #504 on: January 26, 2015, 06:54:47 PM »

If you give him a two year extension then that's three all together. They won't two years on his contract. That then is atleast two more years with him.   I say give him a one year extension.

« Reply #505 on: January 26, 2015, 06:58:25 PM »

Finish top 5 with brand new starting 5.? Or you have Obekpa and Rysheed back?

I think Sheed comes back.

« Reply #506 on: January 26, 2015, 07:04:38 PM »
Usually I lean more on the side of defending Baldi but in this case he's really stirring the pot hard. Just unwarranted attention.

As for Sampson, Lavin played an instrumental role in developing that relationship. Chiles on the ground started the digging the roots in Louisiana which will be more fruitful. They have A LOT of great young kids (2017-2019) that will certainly be giving SJU a look.

I think Lavin and staff have had their faults, string of bad luck, but ultimately as of right now the grass will not be any greener without them. Best to stick by them and hope that continuity will help the program rise to another level.

Your last paragraph neither you or I know for a fact.

Probably why he started it with "I think."
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 07:06:11 PM by simplyred »

goredmen

« Reply #507 on: January 26, 2015, 07:15:09 PM »
The argument the pro-Lavin posters make about him being able to bring in good players is a ridiculous one. Yes, he can get 4 and 5 star guys. The problem is he doesn't win with them. What good are highly-rated recruits if they don't win? Give me a guy that will get 3 and 4 star guys that will stay 4 years, develop each season and know how to win over a coach like Lavin any day of the week.

Lavin has pulled in GREAT recruiting classes for SJU, but he has still proven he can't win here. Why would we keep a guy like that around? Unless he gets Diallo to come we won't be a tournament team next year, so unless he gets Diallo to come here he should be sent back to ESPN

« Reply #508 on: January 26, 2015, 07:20:53 PM »
The argument the pro-Lavin posters make about him being able to bring in good players is a ridiculous one. Yes, he can get 4 and 5 star guys. The problem is he doesn't win with them. What good are highly-rated recruits if they don't win? Give me a guy that will get 3 and 4 star guys that will stay 4 years, develop each season and know how to win over a coach like Lavin any day of the week.

Lavin has pulled in GREAT recruiting classes for SJU, but he has still proven he can't win here. Why would we keep a guy like that around? Unless he gets Diallo to come we won't be a tournament team next year, so unless he gets Diallo to come here he should be sent back to ESPN

Please excuse my derisive tone.  It is purely unintentional.  However, you start off by saying that Lavin can't win with the 4 and 5 star guys he recruits.  Then you say unless he brings in 5 star recruit Diallo, he should be fired.  I'm confused.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 07:21:33 PM by simplyred »

goredmen

« Reply #509 on: January 26, 2015, 07:23:19 PM »
Also, keeping a coach for stability? What the heck does that mean? Unless you want to be an NIT every year then I guess that's a good idea

How come we didn't keep Norm for stability? Not sure how he differs from Lavin in that regard. How come Virginia didn't keep Dave Leitao for stability? Shouldn't Kentucky have kept Billy Gillespie for stability? Countless examples that show how ridiculous that argument is too

TONYD3

« Reply #510 on: January 26, 2015, 07:26:29 PM »
i thought his contract was up. My apologies . I give him nothing. He has earned nothing extra . Hopefully he earns a contract . If not let him go. Guy has a year and half to prove himself.I should have known his contract situation since I have been commenting on it. But I have read that his contract is hindering recruiting so I assumed it was up.

goredmen

« Reply #511 on: January 26, 2015, 07:30:22 PM »

Please excuse my derisive tone.  It is purely unintentional.  However, you start off by saying that Lavin can't win with the 4 and 5 star guys he recruits.  Then you say unless he brings in 5 star recruit Diallo, he should be fired.  I'm confused.

Diallo is probably the one talent that would lead us to the tournament despite of Lavin's complete and utter incompetence. But even if he does come, how often will Lavin be in the mix for a top 5, program changing player?

In my mind, getting Diallo would earn Lavin one extra year to actually win and get some momentum going. If we don't get Diallo we are in the midst of yet another rebuild heading into Lavin's 6th season

« Reply #512 on: January 26, 2015, 07:36:14 PM »
i thought his contract was up. My apologies . I give him nothing. He has earned nothing extra . Hopefully he earns a contract . If not let him go. Guy has a year and half to prove himself.I should have known his contract situation since I have been commenting on it. But I have read that his contract is hindering recruiting so I assumed it was up.

People say he's a lame duck coach, and recruits won't come here for Lavins last year on the contract.

« Reply #513 on: January 26, 2015, 07:41:00 PM »
Usually I lean more on the side of defending Baldi but in this case he's really stirring the pot hard. Just unwarranted attention.

As for Sampson, Lavin played an instrumental role in developing that relationship. Chiles on the ground started the digging the roots in Louisiana which will be more fruitful. They have A LOT of great young kids (2017-2019) that will certainly be giving SJU a look.

I think Lavin and staff have had their faults, string of bad luck, but ultimately as of right now the grass will not be any greener without them. Best to stick by them and hope that continuity will help the program rise to another level.

Your last paragraph neither you or I know for a fact.

There are no names that I can realistically think of that would be better. This includes Mullin.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #514 on: January 26, 2015, 08:45:13 PM »
There are plenty of good young coaches that would love the opportunity. We don't need a celebrity.

goredmen

« Reply #515 on: January 26, 2015, 09:00:57 PM »
There are plenty of good young coaches that would love the opportunity. We don't need a celebrity.

Finally some sense. Could you imagine if we had plucked Archie Miller before he went Dayton? No chance he comes here now but we probably could have had him not so long ago. Fran Mccaffery was in our backyard for a while and we have been excellent hire that nobody outside of hardcore college basketball fans knew about. There are other guys out there now just like this guys. Makes no sense to keep this guy that has proven he will be nothing more than mediocre when there are potentially great up and coming coaches out there.

TONYD3

« Reply #516 on: January 26, 2015, 09:13:40 PM »
if we played either Dayton or Iowa we would beat them more then we would lose. Are either better? Both of these guys are more comparable then significantly better

goredmen

« Reply #517 on: January 26, 2015, 09:18:18 PM »
if we played either Dayton or Iowa we would beat them more then we would lose. Are either better? Both of these guys are more comparable then significantly better

We just lost to freakin DePaul and had Marquette give us a scare at home and you're telling me we would beat Dayton and Iowa more than we would lose? We might split with Dayton in a 10 game series, we lose to Iowa 8 out of 10 times. I don't know what world people live in sometimes. I really don't

« Reply #518 on: January 26, 2015, 09:28:37 PM »

We just lost to freakin DePaul and had Marquette give us a scare at home and you're telling me we would beat Dayton and Iowa more than we would lose? We might split with Dayton in a 10 game series, we lose to Iowa 8 out of 10 times. I don't know what world people live in sometimes. I really don't

Go ahead and look at Iowa's record under Fran. You would want him gone. And I'm a big Fran fan.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

goredmen

« Reply #519 on: January 26, 2015, 09:43:58 PM »

Go ahead and look at Iowa's record under Fran. You would want him gone. And I'm a big Fran fan.

This will be 2nd year in a row he makes the tournament with his recruits. Something Lavin hasn't done here