Thanks Coach Lavin, good luck

• 1170 replies

TONYD3

Re: Thanks Coach Lavin, good luck
« Reply #520 on: January 26, 2015, 09:52:00 PM »
if we played either Dayton or Iowa we would beat them more then we would lose. Are either better? Both of these guys are more comparable then significantly better

We just lost to freakin DePaul and had Marquette give us a scare at home and you're telling me we would beat Dayton and Iowa more than we would lose? We might split with Dayton in a 10 game series, we lose to Iowa 8 out of 10 times. I don't know what world people live in sometimes. I really don't
We beat Syracuse. Iowa lost to them. We beat Minnesota by 9 they won by 2. Only same opponents. Sorry you lost your argument. Maybe Fran is a better coach but its not a slam dunk. What world do you live in? By the way Dayton is only playing 5/6 guys coach must be an idiot.

goredmen

« Reply #521 on: January 26, 2015, 09:58:16 PM »
if we played either Dayton or Iowa we would beat them more then we would lose. Are either better? Both of these guys are more comparable then significantly better

We just lost to freakin DePaul and had Marquette give us a scare at home and you're telling me we would beat Dayton and Iowa more than we would lose? We might split with Dayton in a 10 game series, we lose to Iowa 8 out of 10 times. I don't know what world people live in sometimes. I really don't
We beat Syracuse. Iowa lost to them. We beat Minnesota by 9 they won by 2. Only same opponents. Sorry you lost your argument. Maybe Fran is a better coach but its not a slam dunk. What world do you live in? By the way Dayton is only playing 5/6 guys coach must be an idiot.

Iowa also beat UNC at the Dean Dome and swept Ohio State this season. Give Lavin an NBA team and he wouldn't do that.

Archie took Dayton to an elite 8. Let me repeat. Archie Miller took Dayton to an elite 8. And unlike Lavin, Archie knows how to coach a team that is down to 5-6 guys and is beating the teams they are supposed to beat.

« Reply #522 on: January 26, 2015, 10:01:13 PM »

Iowa also beat UNC at the Dean Dome and swept Ohio State this season. Give Lavin an NBA team and he wouldn't do that.

Archie took Dayton to an elite 8. Let me repeat. Archie Miller took Dayton to an elite 8. And unlike Lavin, Archie knows how to coach a team that is down to 5-6 guys and is beating the teams they are supposed to beat.

Which up and coming coach do you think would come to St. John's?

NYCoffey

« Reply #523 on: January 26, 2015, 10:10:37 PM »
I have no inside knowledge. I think we lose both recruits if he is fired plus anyone we are still recruiting. Brandon Sampson isn't leaving his Lousianna to play for Tim Clueless. That is not a knock on Clueless either.

i kmow Dinkins mentioned it but didnt you swear off this message board. You were pretty addament about it and we were all real upeset and all. But you did make a promise not to come back amd here you are.

Clueless won't be the next coach of SJU so no need to worry about that. He would not be a good hire anyway.

If Diallo commits elsewhere in the next few weeks, is Sampson good enough for Lav to keep his job if they are indeed unhappy with him? I'd say not even close

One solo top recruit is is good enough, hell no.

goredmen

« Reply #524 on: January 26, 2015, 10:11:54 PM »

I'd try first take a run at the Hurleys. If they balk, turn to Masiello and Pikiell just to name a few.

Even though I'd want an NY guy, Lonergan at GW is someone who obviously knows how to build a program, also have some assistants from successful programs like Mike Hopkins. All of these guys would be far better than Lavin, in my opinion

« Reply #525 on: January 26, 2015, 10:14:13 PM »

I'd try first take a run at the Hurleys. If they balk, turn to Masiello and Pikiell just to name a few.

Even though I'd want an NY guy, Lonergan at GW is someone who obviously knows how to build a program, also have some assistants from successful programs like Mike Hopkins. All of these guys would be far better than Lavin, in my opinion

Skip. In my opinion none of them would do a better job. Lavin isn't great but none of the guys you mentioned have proved themselves yet.

« Reply #526 on: January 26, 2015, 10:16:19 PM »

Go ahead and look at Iowa's record under Fran. You would want him gone. And I'm a big Fran fan.

This will be 2nd year in a row he makes the tournament with his recruits. Something Lavin hasn't done here

There is a good chance that at years end they both will have the same number of tourney appearances at their respective schools.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #527 on: January 26, 2015, 10:20:55 PM »

The argument the pro-Lavin posters make about him being able to bring in good players is a ridiculous one. Yes, he can get 4 and 5 star guys. The problem is he doesn't win with them. What good are highly-rated recruits if they don't win? Give me a guy that will get 3 and 4 star guys that will stay 4 years, develop each season and know how to win over a coach like Lavin any day of the week.

Lavin has pulled in GREAT recruiting classes for SJU, but he has still proven he can't win here. Why would we keep a guy like that around? Unless he gets Diallo to come we won't be a tournament team next year, so unless he gets Diallo to come here he should be sent back to ESPN

+100000. Best post on this topic
[/quote]

« Reply #528 on: January 26, 2015, 10:22:44 PM »

Fran would not succeed here.  He found the perfect job for him and his style. 

Archie is a good coach but not sure he would bring in the same talent that Lavin has brought here.

Lavin has brought in talent like we haven't seen in a long time.  It hasn't translated to tournament appearances, but the wins are there.  The lack of depth this season is on him.  But what does Lavin do best....he recruits.  I say give him more time. 

Also, I think this has been his best season as far as in game coaching. 

« Reply #529 on: January 26, 2015, 10:31:54 PM »

The argument the pro-Lavin posters make about him being able to bring in good players is a ridiculous one. Yes, he can get 4 and 5 star guys. The problem is he doesn't win with them. What good are highly-rated recruits if they don't win? Give me a guy that will get 3 and 4 star guys that will stay 4 years, develop each season and know how to win over a coach like Lavin any day of the week.

Lavin has pulled in GREAT recruiting classes for SJU, but he has still proven he can't win here. Why would we keep a guy like that around? Unless he gets Diallo to come we won't be a tournament team next year, so unless he gets Diallo to come here he should be sent back to ESPN

+100000. Best post on this topic
[/quote]

Agreed. Goredmen is on top of his game

goredmen

« Reply #530 on: January 26, 2015, 10:36:37 PM »

Archie is a good coach but not sure he would bring in the same talent that Lavin has brought here.

Lavin has brought in talent like we haven't seen in a long time.  It hasn't translated to tournament appearances, but the wins are there.  The lack of depth this season is on him.  But what does Lavin do best....he recruits.  I say give him more time. 

Again, who cares what kind of talent comes here if we are not making the tournament? What good is a 21 win season is you go 2-9 against actual good teams? Come on give me a break.

Last year we are getting smoked by Robert Morris in the NIT and Archie Miller is taking Dayton to the elite 8 for crying out loud but somehow Lavin is equal to or better than Archie. Archie is a rising superstar in the college coaching landscape. The only thing Lavin has proved is that no matter how much talent he has his team will always underachieve. That goes back to his days at UCLA. At this point in Norm's tenure everybody was hating him but Lavin is given a longer leash despite similar results.

We haven't had better success in the Lavin era outside of year 1 (Norm's guys) but somehow Lavin has the trust of a large portion of this fanbase. Yes, Lavin gives us something to be excited about when he reels in a 4 or 5 star recruit every once in a while. None of those guys had led to any real success here. Harrison is a top 10 player in school history and there's a strong chance he won't make the tournament once in his 4 years here. How insane is that
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 10:37:56 PM by goredmen »

« Reply #531 on: January 26, 2015, 11:01:57 PM »

Again, who cares what kind of talent comes here if we are not making the tournament? What good is a 21 win season is you go 2-9 against actual good teams? Come on give me a break.

Last year we are getting smoked by Robert Morris in the NIT and Archie Miller is taking Dayton to the elite 8 for crying out loud but somehow Lavin is equal to or better than Archie. Archie is a rising superstar in the college coaching landscape. The only thing Lavin has proved is that no matter how much talent he has his team will always underachieve. That goes back to his days at UCLA. At this point in Norm's tenure everybody was hating him but Lavin is given a longer leash despite similar results.

We haven't had better success in the Lavin era outside of year 1 (Norm's guys) but somehow Lavin has the trust of a large portion of this fanbase. Yes, Lavin gives us something to be excited about when he reels in a 4 or 5 star recruit every once in a while. None of those guys had led to any real success here. Harrison is a top 10 player in school history and there's a strong chance he won't make the tournament once in his 4 years here. How insane is that
Lots of us care about what talent a coach can bring.  Being a great XO guys is one thing, but you need talent to execute those XO's.

Sure, lack of tournament appearances sucks.  But to say Lavin can't win with the talent isn't true.  He won with Norms players...which Norm couldn't do.  The team was one win away from making the tournament last year.  And this years team is not out of the mix. 

We had a guy for 6 years before Lavin,  who recruited 3 and 4 star four year players.  I don't think Lunardi ever mentioned their name once in 6 years.  Now were ready to try that again, because Archie Miller had a good two weeks last March? 

« Reply #532 on: January 26, 2015, 11:09:57 PM »
I was thinking about this the other day and it might sound crazy, but was Norm Roberts a better recruiter than Steve Lavin? Steve Lavin has coached 2 groups of seniors. One was recruited by Norm and finished tied for 3rd in the best conference of all-time and made the NCAA tournament. The group of seniors that Lavin recruited is floundering to reach .500 in a glorified mid-major conference.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 11:10:29 PM by STJ11Redmen »

goredmen

« Reply #533 on: January 26, 2015, 11:15:07 PM »

Lots of us care about what talent a coach can bring.  Being a great XO guys is one thing, but you need talent to execute those XO's.

Sure, lack of tournament appearances sucks.  But to say Lavin can't win with the talent isn't true.  He won with Norms players...which Norm couldn't do.  The team was one win away from making the tournament last year.  And this years team is not out of the mix. 

We had a guy for 6 years before Lavin,  who recruited 3 and 4 star four year players.  I don't think Lunardi ever mentioned their name once in 6 years.  Now were ready to try that again, because Archie Miller had a good two weeks last March? 

We got rid of Norm because he's proven he couldn't win. Lavin has now done the same. Multiple great recruiting classes in a row all for naught.

If Lavin has taken us to an elite 8 I would be his biggest fan. Archie took a team to the elite 8 in his 3rd year as a Head Coach, but because he only has 4 years of Head Coaching experience we shouldn't take a chance on him? No good coaches would be found by that logic. He has won 65% of his games at Dayton. What makes you think he wouldn't be able to do even better in NYC in a better conference?

Archie had taken a program with 1 NCAA tournament win in it's last 22 years to an elite 8 in his 3rd year. I wonder if there are any programs with similar NCAA futility he might be able to turn around.....

« Reply #534 on: January 26, 2015, 11:16:26 PM »
I was thinking about this the other day and it might sound crazy, but was Norm Roberts a better recruiter than Steve Lavin? Steve Lavin has coached 2 groups of seniors. One was recruited by Norm and finished tied for 3rd in the best conference of all-time and made the NCAA tournament. The group of seniors that Lavin recruited is floundering to reach .500 in a glorified mid-major conference.
To be fair, this group of seniors is missing Harkless and Sampson.

goredmen

« Reply #535 on: January 26, 2015, 11:17:46 PM »

Now that I think of it, it's quite ironic that Lavin won with Norm's team which is something that Norm would not have been able to do that year, and if we had a different coach last year and/or this year, that coach would have won with Lavin's guys, something Lavin hasn't been able to do
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 11:18:29 PM by goredmen »

« Reply #536 on: January 26, 2015, 11:20:31 PM »
To be fair, this group of seniors is missing Harkless and Sampson.

Well, Norm's group of seniors was missing Mike Cavataio...

« Reply #537 on: January 26, 2015, 11:25:46 PM »
There is a large percentage of fans who understand Lavin took over a program in shambles, and had to start from scratch, and Rome was not built in a day. Respect has to be earned. We are relevant again, after ten plus years of failure. Just because the same few posters keep banging the fire Lavin drum does not mean that that is the consensus among the larger fan base.

Excuse me, but this is his 5th year, not his first or second year. That is enough time to restore order, so dont give us the norm excuse.
So, if no ncaa tournament this year, it's not a failure?  The last 4 years wtf has he done.

HNe doesn't deserve the right for an extension.

Is this the psuedo-reincarnation (pun intended) since you were supposedly done posting here about a month or so ago?

Oh well, I guess I changed my mind, to bad.
Keep your Lavin pom poms in your hands Dinkins.

LOL 

Where have I raved about Lavin?  Please show me.  I'll be waiting. 

I should've known you'd pull out a strawman.  That's your strength.  Oh!  And, getting banned everywhere you post.

Go back to your unstable rants on Twitter.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 11:36:28 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #538 on: January 26, 2015, 11:34:49 PM »

We got rid of Norm because he's proven he couldn't win. Lavin has now done the same. Multiple great recruiting classes in a row all for naught.

If Lavin has taken us to an elite 8 I would be his biggest fan. Archie took a team to the elite 8 in his 3rd year as a Head Coach, but because he only has 4 years of Head Coaching experience we shouldn't take a chance on him? No good coaches would be found by that logic. He has won 65% of his games at Dayton. What makes you think he wouldn't be able to do even better in NYC in a better conference?

Archie had taken a program with 1 NCAA tournament win in it's last 22 years to an elite 8 in his 3rd year. I wonder if there are any programs with similar NCAA futility he might be able to turn around.....

Archie would be a great get, but he isn't coming to Queens.

goredmen

« Reply #539 on: January 26, 2015, 11:39:02 PM »

Archie would be a great get, but he isn't coming to Queens.

I know that. But why can't we try and find the next Archie instead of keeping this failed experiment going?