Thanks Coach Lavin, good luck

• 1170 replies
Re: Thanks Coach Lavin, good luck
« Reply #540 on: January 26, 2015, 11:40:42 PM »
if we played either Dayton or Iowa we would beat them more then we would lose. Are either better? Both of these guys are more comparable then significantly better

We just lost to freakin DePaul and had Marquette give us a scare at home and you're telling me we would beat Dayton and Iowa more than we would lose? We might split with Dayton in a 10 game series, we lose to Iowa 8 out of 10 times. I don't know what world people live in sometimes. I really don't
We beat Syracuse. Iowa lost to them. We beat Minnesota by 9 they won by 2. Only same opponents. Sorry you lost your argument. Maybe Fran is a better coach but its not a slam dunk. What world do you live in? By the way Dayton is only playing 5/6 guys coach must be an idiot.

Iowa also beat UNC at the Dean Dome and swept Ohio State this season. Give Lavin an NBA team and he wouldn't do that.

Archie took Dayton to an elite 8. Let me repeat. Archie Miller took Dayton to an elite 8. And unlike Lavin, Archie knows how to coach a team that is down to 5-6 guys and is beating the teams they are supposed to beat.
Fran would not succeed here.  He found the perfect job for him and his style. 

Archie is a good coach but not sure he would bring in the same talent that Lavin has brought here.

Lavin has brought in talent like we haven't seen in a long time.  It hasn't translated to tournament appearances, but the wins are there.  The lack of depth this season is on him.  But what does Lavin do best....he recruits.  I say give him more time. 

Also, I think this has been his best season as far as in game coaching. 

Again, who cares what kind of talent comes here if we are not making the tournament? What good is a 21 win season is you go 2-9 against actual good teams? Come on give me a break.

Last year we are getting smoked by Robert Morris in the NIT and Archie Miller is taking Dayton to the elite 8 for crying out loud but somehow Lavin is equal to or better than Archie. Archie is a rising superstar in the college coaching landscape. The only thing Lavin has proved is that no matter how much talent he has his team will always underachieve. That goes back to his days at UCLA. At this point in Norm's tenure everybody was hating him but Lavin is given a longer leash despite similar results.

We haven't had better success in the Lavin era outside of year 1 (Norm's guys) but somehow Lavin has the trust of a large portion of this fanbase. Yes, Lavin gives us something to be excited about when he reels in a 4 or 5 star recruit every once in a while. None of those guys had led to any real success here. Harrison is a top 10 player in school history and there's a strong chance he won't make the tournament once in his 4 years here. How insane is that
Lots of us care about what talent a coach can bring.  Being a great XO guys is one thing, but you need talent to execute those XO's.

Sure, lack of tournament appearances sucks.  But to say Lavin can't win with the talent isn't true.  He won with Norms players...which Norm couldn't do.  The team was one win away from making the tournament last year.  And this years team is not out of the mix. 

We had a guy for 6 years before Lavin,  who recruited 3 and 4 star four year players.  I don't think Lunardi ever mentioned their name once in 6 years.  Now were ready to try that again, because Archie Miller had a good two weeks last March? 

We got rid of Norm because he's proven he couldn't win. Lavin has now done the same. Multiple great recruiting classes in a row all for naught.

If Lavin has taken us to an elite 8 I would be his biggest fan. Archie took a team to the elite 8 in his 3rd year as a Head Coach, but because he only has 4 years of Head Coaching experience we shouldn't take a chance on him? No good coaches would be found by that logic. He has won 65% of his games at Dayton. What makes you think he wouldn't be able to do even better in NYC in a better conference?

Archie had taken a program with 1 NCAA tournament win in it's last 22 years to an elite 8 in his 3rd year. I wonder if there are any programs with similar NCAA futility he might be able to turn around.....

If Norm won 20 games in a season he would still be head coach at St. John's.

« Reply #541 on: January 26, 2015, 11:42:04 PM »
The argument the pro-Lavin posters make about him being able to bring in good players is a ridiculous one. Yes, he can get 4 and 5 star guys. The problem is he doesn't win with them. What good are highly-rated recruits if they don't win? Give me a guy that will get 3 and 4 star guys that will stay 4 years, develop each season and know how to win over a coach like Lavin any day of the week.

Lavin has pulled in GREAT recruiting classes for SJU, but he has still proven he can't win here. Why would we keep a guy like that around? Unless he gets Diallo to come we won't be a tournament team next year, so unless he gets Diallo to come here he should be sent back to ESPN

Please excuse my derisive tone.  It is purely unintentional.  However, you start off by saying that Lavin can't win with the 4 and 5 star guys he recruits.  Then you say unless he brings in 5 star recruit Diallo, he should be fired.  I'm confused.

LOL 

Just the usual contradictory foolishness that arises from the chattery folks.  Some of this stuff is funny.  On the real.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 11:43:05 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #542 on: January 26, 2015, 11:42:55 PM »
There is a large percentage of fans who understand Lavin took over a program in shambles, and had to start from scratch, and Rome was not built in a day. Respect has to be earned. We are relevant again, after ten plus years of failure. Just because the same few posters keep banging the fire Lavin drum does not mean that that is the consensus among the larger fan base.

Excuse me, but this is his 5th year, not his first or second year. That is enough time to restore order, so dont give us the norm excuse.
So, if no ncaa tournament this year, it's not a failure?  The last 4 years wtf has he done.

HNe doesn't deserve the right for an extension.

Is this the psuedo-reincarnation (pun intended) since you were supposedly done posting here about a month or so ago?

Oh well, I guess I changed my mind, to bad.
Keep your Lavin pom poms in your hands Dinkins.

LOL 

Where have I raved about Lavin?  Please show me.  I'll be waiting. 

I should've known you'd pull out a strawman.  That's your strength.  Oh!  And, getting banned everywhere you post.

Go back to your unstable rants on Twitter.

LOL  I have a Twitter account?  I never knew that, but thanks for letting me know you little girl.   And nah I never been banned, lol I'm Joe3 right? ummm ok  if you think so. lol   

« Reply #543 on: January 26, 2015, 11:43:02 PM »
I stopped reading this thread and just skimmed when I saw someone suggest Mike Hopkins.  Then I think I saw someone mention Norm being a better recruiter than Lavin.  OMG!!! 

I tell you what, I like Norm.  Bring him back.  Then everyone please shut up and just accept the job he does.  I'm so tired of all this bitching about changing coaches.  Yes, I know.  This is a fan board.  This is what is supposed to be discussed here.  Everyone has a right to express their opinion and if I don't like it, I don't have to read it.  Yada, yada yada!

These boards are becoming pure garbage because the same tired crap is spewed over and over---on both sides.  The worst thing is the people who come on here and make these declarations like they are fact, instead of expressing it as their opinion.  So tiring.

« Reply #544 on: January 26, 2015, 11:43:50 PM »
if we played either Dayton or Iowa we would beat them more then we would lose. Are either better? Both of these guys are more comparable then significantly better

We just lost to freakin DePaul and had Marquette give us a scare at home and you're telling me we would beat Dayton and Iowa more than we would lose? We might split with Dayton in a 10 game series, we lose to Iowa 8 out of 10 times. I don't know what world people live in sometimes. I really don't
We beat Syracuse. Iowa lost to them. We beat Minnesota by 9 they won by 2. Only same opponents. Sorry you lost your argument. Maybe Fran is a better coach but its not a slam dunk. What world do you live in? By the way Dayton is only playing 5/6 guys coach must be an idiot.

Iowa also beat UNC at the Dean Dome and swept Ohio State this season. Give Lavin an NBA team and he wouldn't do that.

Archie took Dayton to an elite 8. Let me repeat. Archie Miller took Dayton to an elite 8. And unlike Lavin, Archie knows how to coach a team that is down to 5-6 guys and is beating the teams they are supposed to beat.

Archie is a good coach but not sure he would bring in the same talent that Lavin has brought here.

Lavin has brought in talent like we haven't seen in a long time.  It hasn't translated to tournament appearances, but the wins are there.  The lack of depth this season is on him.  But what does Lavin do best....he recruits.  I say give him more time. 

Again, who cares what kind of talent comes here if we are not making the tournament? What good is a 21 win season is you go 2-9 against actual good teams? Come on give me a break.

Last year we are getting smoked by Robert Morris in the NIT and Archie Miller is taking Dayton to the elite 8 for crying out loud but somehow Lavin is equal to or better than Archie. Archie is a rising superstar in the college coaching landscape. The only thing Lavin has proved is that no matter how much talent he has his team will always underachieve. That goes back to his days at UCLA. At this point in Norm's tenure everybody was hating him but Lavin is given a longer leash despite similar results.

We haven't had better success in the Lavin era outside of year 1 (Norm's guys) but somehow Lavin has the trust of a large portion of this fanbase. Yes, Lavin gives us something to be excited about when he reels in a 4 or 5 star recruit every once in a while. None of those guys had led to any real success here. Harrison is a top 10 player in school history and there's a strong chance he won't make the tournament once in his 4 years here. How insane is that
Lots of us care about what talent a coach can bring.  Being a great XO guys is one thing, but you need talent to execute those XO's.

Sure, lack of tournament appearances sucks.  But to say Lavin can't win with the talent isn't true.  He won with Norms players...which Norm couldn't do.  The team was one win away from making the tournament last year.  And this years team is not out of the mix. 

We had a guy for 6 years before Lavin,  who recruited 3 and 4 star four year players.  I don't think Lunardi ever mentioned their name once in 6 years.  Now were ready to try that again, because Archie Miller had a good two weeks last March? 

We got rid of Norm because he's proven he couldn't win. Lavin has now done the same. Multiple great recruiting classes in a row all for naught.

If Lavin has taken us to an elite 8 I would be his biggest fan. Archie took a team to the elite 8 in his 3rd year as a Head Coach, but because he only has 4 years of Head Coaching experience we shouldn't take a chance on him? No good coaches would be found by that logic. He has won 65% of his games at Dayton. What makes you think he wouldn't be able to do even better in NYC in a better conference?

Archie had taken a program with 1 NCAA tournament win in it's last 22 years to an elite 8 in his 3rd year. I wonder if there are any programs with similar NCAA futility he might be able to turn around.....

Archie would be a great get, but he isn't coming to Queens.

I know that. But why can't we try and find the next Archie instead of keeping this failed experiment going?

Because the search committee would fail like they have on the last 5 tries.

« Reply #545 on: January 26, 2015, 11:47:02 PM »
The argument the pro-Lavin posters make about him being able to bring in good players is a ridiculous one. Yes, he can get 4 and 5 star guys. The problem is he doesn't win with them. What good are highly-rated recruits if they don't win? Give me a guy that will get 3 and 4 star guys that will stay 4 years, develop each season and know how to win over a coach like Lavin any day of the week.

Lavin has pulled in GREAT recruiting classes for SJU, but he has still proven he can't win here. Why would we keep a guy like that around? Unless he gets Diallo to come we won't be a tournament team next year, so unless he gets Diallo to come here he should be sent back to ESPN

Please excuse my derisive tone.  It is purely unintentional.  However, you start off by saying that Lavin can't win with the 4 and 5 star guys he recruits.  Then you say unless he brings in 5 star recruit Diallo, he should be fired.  I'm confused.

LOL 

Just the usual contradictory foolishness that arises from the chattery folks.  Some of this stuff is funny.  On the real.

Always see Dinkins on here and on redmen, always saying that others are fools when he disagrees with others.
This clown thinks he's someone important to try and put down others when he disagrees with them.

goredmen

« Reply #546 on: January 26, 2015, 11:47:18 PM »

Archie would be a great get, but he isn't coming to Queens.

I know that. But why can't we try and find the next Archie instead of keeping this failed experiment going?

Because the search committee would fail like they have on the last 5 tries.

Even a blind squirrel....

« Reply #547 on: January 26, 2015, 11:48:45 PM »
There is a large percentage of fans who understand Lavin took over a program in shambles, and had to start from scratch, and Rome was not built in a day. Respect has to be earned. We are relevant again, after ten plus years of failure. Just because the same few posters keep banging the fire Lavin drum does not mean that that is the consensus among the larger fan base.

Excuse me, but this is his 5th year, not his first or second year. That is enough time to restore order, so dont give us the norm excuse.
So, if no ncaa tournament this year, it's not a failure?  The last 4 years wtf has he done.

Is this the psuedo-reincarnation (pun intended) since you were supposedly done posting here about a month or so ago?

LOL 

I should've known you'd pull out a strawman.  That's your strength.  Oh!  And, getting banned everywhere you post.

LOL  I have a Twitter account?  I never knew that, but thanks for letting me know you little girl.   And nah I never been banned, lol I'm Joe3 right? ummm ok  if you think so. lol   

Yes, you do. 

Hence, why you immediately deleted a post I made, per your Twitter account, that resembled a post you made on this forum.

Here is a post from you on JJ after we missed out on Briscoe..... 

We all knew that Lavin couldn't coach.
We thought that he could recruit, but at ST. John's he can't.

With no frontcourt besides Obekpa, we won't get to the NCAA again.

So why keep Lavin?

http://johnnyjungle.com/forum/index.php?topic=5927.msg208412#msg208412

Here is a post from you on your Twitter account on the same day....

Exiled Redman
‏@brandersen631
We knew Lavin couldn't coach. We knew he couldn't develop players. We knew he could recruit. Now he can't even do that…hello hotseat. #sjubb

But you deleted it AFTER I posted your Twitter quote on JJ. 

Little girl?  LOL   You're the one who bitched about a medium shirt. 

« Reply #548 on: January 26, 2015, 11:49:46 PM »

LOL 

Always see Dinkins on here and on redmen, always saying that others are fools when he disagrees with others.
This clown thinks he's someone important to try and put down others when he disagrees with them.

How do you know what I do on Redmen?  Oh!  Because, you were banned from there, right?  LOL

Too bad, you don't know why you're considered the clown.  It doesn't have anything to do with disagreeing with me.  It's because you're silly, and make about as much sense as a piece of wet wood.   
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 11:51:51 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #549 on: January 26, 2015, 11:53:41 PM »
Imo, the best bet would probably be to extend Lavin for 3 years and see if the Hurleys or someone like Orlando Antigua prove themselves as a viable candidate.

« Reply #550 on: January 26, 2015, 11:57:35 PM »

LOL 

Yes, you do. 

Hence, why you immediately deleted a post I made, per your Twitter account, that resembled a post you made on this forum.

So why keep Lavin?

Exiled Redman
‏@brandersen631
We knew Lavin couldn't coach. We knew he couldn't develop players. We knew he could recruit. Now he can't even do that…hello hotseat. #sjubb

Yeah, I did post exact that after Lavin lost out on Briscoe.
Maybe the guy on Twitter was thinking those same thoughts? wtf would I hide, if I was Joe3 I'd say I was, wtf is it a life or death matter that I gotta hide.   Yeah I heard what happened on here with the tee-shirts.  That's not my problem though.

« Reply #551 on: January 27, 2015, 12:03:12 AM »

LOL 

How do you know what I do on Redmen?  Oh!  Because, you were banned from there, right?  LOL

Too bad, you don't know why you're considered the clown.  It doesn't have anything to do with disagreeing with me.  It's because you're silly, and make about as much sense as a piece of wet wood.   

lol at how do I know. I read the other site that's how you simpleton. I always see you fighting with others on here and there, you are just a funny ass clown.  So many people Pm'd me and tell me you are an idiot.
So yeah keep thinking that you are the man.

« Reply #552 on: January 27, 2015, 12:08:12 AM »

LOL 

Yes, you do. 

So why keep Lavin?

Exiled Redman
‏@brandersen631

Maybe the guy on Twitter was thinking those same thoughts? wtf would I hide, if I was Joe3 I'd say I was, wtf is it a life or death matter that I gotta hide.   Yeah I heard what happened on here with the tee-shirts.  That's not my problem though.

LOL 

Almost verbatim, huh?  Not to mention, it's rather ironic the "guy" deleted his similar Twitter quote AFTER I posted it in response to something you typed on JJ.  Hmmmmmmm.... 

« Reply #553 on: January 27, 2015, 12:11:39 AM »
lol at how do I know. I read the other site that's how you simpleton. I always see you fighting with others on here and there, you are just a funny ass clown.  So many people Pm'd me and tell me you are an idiot.
So yeah keep thinking that you are the man.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 12:15:54 AM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #554 on: January 27, 2015, 12:14:57 AM »

LOL 

Yes, you do. 

So why keep Lavin?

Exiled Redman
‏@brandersen631

LOL 

Almost verbatim, huh?  Not to mention, it's rather ironic the "guy" deleted his similar Twitter quote AFTER I posted it in response to something you typed on JJ.  Hmmmmmmm.... 

Ohhhhhhhhh and here's where he is trying to be funny with those pics, gotta try harder son.

« Reply #555 on: January 27, 2015, 12:41:26 AM »
lol you guys are good detectives.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #556 on: January 27, 2015, 12:48:12 AM »

Yeah man  Dinkins does some great detective work.
lmfaorotf

« Reply #557 on: January 27, 2015, 12:50:18 AM »

It's actually rather easy.  They usually give themselves away, per a phrase, style of posting, or something else which connects them to their other screenname(s).  I believe you already know it's him, right? 

By the way, I never even mentioned Joe3's name.  He mentioned it.  He practically told on himself.  Guilty conscience, perhaps?  ;)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 12:52:12 AM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #558 on: January 27, 2015, 12:58:39 AM »

It's actually rather easy.  They usually give themselves away, per a phrase, style of posting, or something else which connects them to their other screenname(s).  I believe you already know it's him, right? 

By the way, I never even mentioned Joe3's name.  He mentioned it.  He practically told on himself.  Guilty conscience, perhaps?  ;)

lol  I did?    I believe someone else said I'm Joe3 months ago, so I know you and Dave thinks I'm him.

desco80

« Reply #559 on: January 27, 2015, 09:10:37 AM »
Will take 6 more years of Lavin over 1 with Norm.

The range of options isn't just Lavin or Norm.   We could be better, we could be worse, we could be about the same.   But firing Lavin doesn't mean we revert to the Norm days.

Also, I'm so sick of hearing about "relevancy", and the benefits of having SL as the face of the program.   Do you know who fans talk about and the media covers?  Guys who win.    calhoun, knight, izzo, self ...I have doorknobs with more personality than those guys.    The program doesn't need a promoter, a ringleader, or a pr guy... just a competent basketball coach.