Thanks Coach Lavin, good luck

• 1170 replies

Poison

Re: Thanks Coach Lavin, good luck
« Reply #580 on: January 27, 2015, 03:17:01 PM »
We lost to Duke. They have like 9 MCD's  AA and have a 7-8 man rotation. How many MCD AA do we have? Many of you have no idea about coaching and simply let the results speak for themselves. The bottom line is Lavin is doing a good job with these players. If anything he should be criticized for not finding a replacement for Moe and Sampson, that is the real issue. His coaching isn't the issue. Our players have severe limitations. We were in the game because Dom was playing out of his mind, its how he should be playing every game, but he doesn't. With D'lo hurting both Dom and Jordan stepped up in the first half but disappeared in the second half. The difference is and will always be, do our players make plays. It wasn't a brilliant coaching job done by Coach K that brought Duke back. He didn't design some magical play that was unstoppable. Duke players made plays, one on one, no back door cuts, no off ball screens, nothing. We run the same offense as they do except their players drive the ball to the basket, or pull up off the bounce and drill a 3. Its not coaching, its individual skill.

Lavin has brought in kids with a lot of potential but for the most part, offensively, Dom and Branch hasn't panned out. Potential is what gets coaches fired. He needs to do a better job bringing in more well rounded players. That has been his failure. It's not the coaching. He has the ability to compete with and win a lot of the recruiting battles. You need talent to win, and Lavin is the best suited to bring in that talent. I'm frustrated so far with the season, but my frustration is with the roster construction, not X's and O's. Season isn't over yet, let it play out and hope these seniors end the careers at SJU on a high note.

His coaching lost us at least 2 games last year which cost us a shot at the NCAA tournament. I agree his actual in-game coaching has been somewhat better this year, but as you said, he's responsible for building the roster of players and having enough depth to be successful. He has failed in that regard, and in year 5 of his tenure, that is inexcusable, IMO.

Lavin has given us well-rounded failure since bringing in his monster class. Last year, he failed as a coach. This year, he failed as a recruiter. If we had Keith Thomas or another capable big man, that game, and several others probably would have had a better outcome. At the end of the day, it's program, and in year 5, no one excuse is an acceptable excuse for not making the dance. Everything that goes wrong is entirely on Lavin. A player gets hurt, it's on Lavin. A player isn't qualified to play, it's on Lavin. This is his program and these are his rules we are all living with, but he isn't self employed, and it's time to face the music.

QuanMan

« Reply #581 on: January 27, 2015, 03:33:08 PM »
Steve's here for the long term, this thread is a waste of everyone's time. This team is prime to make a deep BET and NCAA run over the next 8 weeks, couple that with a supposed monster, international/US class in the week's following the tourney and Lavin's looking at an easy 5 year extension. We should be gameplanning for Creighton, yet this is the only active convo going on today, cmon fellas.
Section 3
Section 116

goredmen

« Reply #582 on: January 27, 2015, 03:36:03 PM »
Steve's here for the long term, this thread is a waste of everyone's time. This team is prime to make a deep BET and NCAA run over the next 8 weeks, couple that with a supposed monster, international/US class in the week's following the tourney and Lavin's looking at an easy 5 year extension. We should be gameplanning for Creighton, yet this is the only active convo going on today, cmon fellas.

A team that lost to DePaul less than 2 weeks ago is primed to make a deep BET and NCAA run? Ok.....

goredmen

« Reply #583 on: January 27, 2015, 03:38:24 PM »
We lost to Duke. They have like 9 MCD's  AA and have a 7-8 man rotation. How many MCD AA do we have? Many of you have no idea about coaching and simply let the results speak for themselves. The bottom line is Lavin is doing a good job with these players. If anything he should be criticized for not finding a replacement for Moe and Sampson, that is the real issue. His coaching isn't the issue. Our players have severe limitations. We were in the game because Dom was playing out of his mind, its how he should be playing every game, but he doesn't. With D'lo hurting both Dom and Jordan stepped up in the first half but disappeared in the second half. The difference is and will always be, do our players make plays. It wasn't a brilliant coaching job done by Coach K that brought Duke back. He didn't design some magical play that was unstoppable. Duke players made plays, one on one, no back door cuts, no off ball screens, nothing. We run the same offense as they do except their players drive the ball to the basket, or pull up off the bounce and drill a 3. Its not coaching, its individual skill.

Lavin has brought in kids with a lot of potential but for the most part, offensively, Dom and Branch hasn't panned out. Potential is what gets coaches fired. He needs to do a better job bringing in more well rounded players. That has been his failure. It's not the coaching. He has the ability to compete with and win a lot of the recruiting battles. You need talent to win, and Lavin is the best suited to bring in that talent. I'm frustrated so far with the season, but my frustration is with the roster construction, not X's and O's. Season isn't over yet, let it play out and hope these seniors end the careers at SJU on a high note.

His coaching lost us at least 2 games last year which cost us a shot at the NCAA tournament. I agree his actual in-game coaching has been somewhat better this year, but as you said, he's responsible for building the roster of players and having enough depth to be successful. He has failed in that regard, and in year 5 of his tenure, that is inexcusable, IMO.

Lavin has given us well-rounded failure since bringing in his monster class. Last year, he failed as a coach. This year, he failed as a recruiter. If we had Keith Thomas or another capable big man, that game, and several others probably would have had a better outcome. At the end of the day, it's program, and in year 5, no one excuse is an acceptable excuse for not making the dance. Everything that goes wrong is entirely on Lavin. A player gets hurt, it's on Lavin. A player isn't qualified to play, it's on Lavin. This is his program and these are his rules we are all living with, but he isn't self employed, and it's time to face the music.

Please don't bring facts and common sense into this. Some people can't handle that

« Reply #584 on: January 27, 2015, 03:38:48 PM »

A team that lost to DePaul less than 2 weeks ago is primed to make a deep BET and NCAA run? Ok.....

With 6 players

« Reply #585 on: January 27, 2015, 03:56:56 PM »
Negativity abounds. Get a life, guys.

boo3

« Reply #586 on: January 27, 2015, 04:28:35 PM »
 Feel like he get the extension..one that is incentive laced... I don't think he gets fired.. If he leaves it will be because he doesn't like contract or makes up another reason..

II'm not sold on any of the options being talked about..  Show me an upgrade.. Not a shot in the dark.. If the shot in the dark doesn't work, then what?   No one want s to answer that question.

Lets wait to see how this season finishes before calling it a failure.. Anything can happen, including a run in the BE tournament.

goredmen

« Reply #587 on: January 27, 2015, 04:33:39 PM »

II'm not sold on any of the options being talked about..  Show me an upgrade.. Not a shot in the dark.. If the shot in the dark doesn't work, then what?   No one want s to answer that question.

If that happens we would be in the same spot we are now. We took a shot in the dark with Lavin and it isn't working. I do hope he can turn it around this year and make AND win a game or two in the tourney. However, that is highly unlikely. Just making the tournament and getting bounced right away would still make this season a failure to me. Not making the tourney at all would be a monumental failure, IMO.

« Reply #588 on: January 27, 2015, 04:35:26 PM »
Feel like he get the extension..one that is incentive laced... I don't think he gets fired.. If he leaves it will be because he doesn't like contract or makes up another reason..

Lets wait to see how this season finishes before calling it a failure.. Anything can happen, including a run in the BE tournament.

If he gets a top recruiting class, then a one year extension. No long term

« Reply #589 on: January 27, 2015, 06:22:55 PM »
The argument the pro-Lavin posters make about him being able to bring in good players is a ridiculous one. Yes, he can get 4 and 5 star guys. The problem is he doesn't win with them. What good are highly-rated recruits if they don't win? Give me a guy that will get 3 and 4 star guys that will stay 4 years, develop each season and know how to win over a coach like Lavin any day of the week.

Lavin has pulled in GREAT recruiting classes for SJU, but he has still proven he can't win here. Why would we keep a guy like that around? Unless he gets Diallo to come we won't be a tournament team next year, so unless he gets Diallo to come here he should be sent back to ESPN

Please excuse my derisive tone.  It is purely unintentional.  However, you start off by saying that Lavin can't win with the 4 and 5 star guys he recruits.  Then you say unless he brings in 5 star recruit Diallo, he should be fired.  I'm confused.

LOL 

Just the usual contradictory foolishness that arises from the chattery folks.  Some of this stuff is funny.  On the real.

Always see Dinkins on here and on redmen, always saying that others are fools when he disagrees with others.
This clown thinks he's someone important to try and put down others when he disagrees with them.

How do you know what I do on Redmen?  Oh!  Because, you were banned from there, right?  LOL

Too bad, you don't know why you're considered the clown.  It doesn't have anything to do with disagreeing with me.  It's because you're silly, and make about as much sense as a piece of wet wood.   
MJ unearths liny?

TONYD3

« Reply #590 on: January 27, 2015, 06:28:32 PM »
Well he beat Pitino . I believe the score got to double digits. I was messing around a little.

« Reply #591 on: January 27, 2015, 06:46:21 PM »
Our fan base is so delusional.  This job has very little to almost no appeal, there is no big name coach lining up at the door... 

Now young Pitino or Hurley brothers are the key back to the glory days of the mid-eigthies? ??? LOL
The job has more appeal than Dayton, and they got Archie Miller.  The job now has more appeal than Xavier, and they got Sean Miller.  We name at least 5 others ...

Imo, the next coach might not be a big name, but as many have rightly said on the board, we need a young, energetic coach that will build on whatever Lavs' final legacy is (for better or worse when the time comes). 

Some disagreed when I posted Fraschilla's order of importance for a head coach, but it has some support:
1) recruiting 2) scheduling 3) keeping guys eligible & 4) coaching, in that order.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 06:46:46 PM by bball purist »

paultzman

« Reply #592 on: January 27, 2015, 06:53:56 PM »
Our fan base is so delusional.  This job has very little to almost no appeal, there is no big name coach lining up at the door... 

Now young Pitino or Hurley brothers are the key back to the glory days of the mid-eigthies? ??? LOL
The job has more appeal than Dayton, and they got Archie Miller.  The job now has more appeal than Xavier, and they got Sean Miller.  We name at least 5 others ...

Imo, the next coach might not be a big name, but as many have rightly said on the board, we need a young, energetic coach that will build on whatever Lavs' final legacy is (for better or worse when the time comes). 

Some disagreed when I posted Fraschilla's order of importance for a head coach, but it has some support:
1) recruiting 2) scheduling 3) keeping guys eligible & 4) coaching, in that order.
Agree

« Reply #593 on: January 27, 2015, 07:32:01 PM »
Personally, I don't have a problem with Lavin's coaching this year. I think it's been fine.

The problem stems from two poor recruiting classes. He only signed 1 difference maker in 2013 and he completely dropped the ball in 2014. If this team had 1 or 2 extra guys (preferably guys with height), they would've won a couple of those close games (Gonzaga, SHU, Butler, Villanova, or Duke).

« Reply #594 on: January 27, 2015, 07:37:40 PM »
Personally, I don't have a problem with Lavin's coaching this year. I think it's been fine.

The problem stems from two poor recruiting classes. He only signed 1 difference maker in 2013 and he completely dropped the ball in 2014. If this team had 1 or 2 extra guys (preferably guys with height), they would've won a couple of those close games (Gonzaga, SHU, Butler, Villanova, or Duke).

He only had one scholarship in 2013.  I can agree with 2014.  Frankly, Thomas and ADR has killed our '14 class.  I believe both of 'em would've paid dividends with this team. 

« Reply #595 on: January 27, 2015, 08:00:51 PM »
Lavin has probably brought in 1 of the best recruiting classes in  St  Johns history.  Not much to show for it. Bubble after Bubble

« Reply #596 on: January 27, 2015, 08:19:10 PM »
Lavin has probably brought in 1 of the best recruiting classes in  St  Johns history.  Not much to show for it. Bubble after Bubble

If things break right, this class might be as good if not better. It is a big if, but we will see.

« Reply #597 on: January 27, 2015, 08:22:29 PM »

We have something that those other schools don't and that's money. I doubt we spend more than a million per year on our next coach though.

My guess for coaching names that would pop up if we have a vacancy are the Hurleys, Greenberg, Cluess, Abdelmassih, Pikiell.

The search should stop with Dan Hurley though. He would build us into a winner the old fashioned way and give us an edge that we desperately need. He's a whiner but his teams play hard and smart.

« Reply #598 on: January 27, 2015, 08:47:37 PM »
This will be my last post on this subject as I don't believe that Lavin is even on the hot seat. Here are a few posts from a Minn. forum in regard to Pitino:

"The team has regressed this year. He has yet to recruit a skilled 3,4 or 5. His teams play like they don't have a fuggin clue how to play basketball. Why hasn't he brought in any skill yet, either through high school recruits or transfers. Mason will be a nice player, but everyone else he's brought in so far is crap. The 2 African guys are major projects and depth players. Morris is just crap, you can't win with guys like that, yet Pitino thought he could? Another recruiting mistake. Even McNeil, he brought in a 6'3" point guard to play small forward for you? Really? He has mismanaged the roster so far and while he has a couple nice guards coming in, both are undersized and won't be able to create their own shots. So who are the scoring threats inside? The 2016 recruits are the earliest we can hope to get skilled wings in here. Will he have lost the fan base by then? This team will be equally crappy next year. Blow it the fuc& up....."

"I'm not a tubby guy; he was dead weight, needed to go.

Just look at this f'ing circus we're trotting out there. This is a mess, and the mismanaged roster is going to ensure we stay at this level for a couple more years, then HOPEFULLY Pitino can bring in better players, but can he?

His recruiting has been blah, how about player development? Who on this team has gotten better under Pitino? Walker? I guess, but mainly because he use to be obese, now he's not. He still as average as ever. Hollins use to be good, now he's as average as can be.

How about in game coaching? The only thoughts I have in my head are us losing games by making stupid decisions, all the time. Are these guys being coached? Or has he just recruited dumb basketball players? Either way, it's troubling.

He has the last name, sure; but is he really ready for this? Woody May have went to the billy Donovan well one too many times. This disaster will keep getting worse before it gets better. How you gonna convince 2016 recruits to come here when you can't even make the NIt?"

"There's no excuse for this. I don't know how anyone can watch the games and conclude that the Gophers should be sitting anywhere worse than 4-3 right now. You can argue most of that is on the players choking, but SOME of the blame has got to go to Pitino. Nebraska plays essentially without a PG and has limited perimeter quickness and our guards handled the ball like a hand grenade. The decision to CONTINUALLY give Mo Walker post touches which ended up in miss after miss was absolutely on Pitino. You've got to be concerned that the team is getting worse, not better as the season goes a long. Three of the Gophers four worst performances of the season have occurred in the last three games.

I have been a big believer in Coach Pitino and still believe he's likely to do good things. That said, I don't know how you can be as confident in Coach Pitino as you were a few months ago."

I think they are crazy, but just goes to show that the grass isn't always greener on the other side and fans are never happy and love to complain.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 08:49:37 PM by stjohnnie75 »

« Reply #599 on: January 27, 2015, 08:55:29 PM »
I would think recruiting To Minnesota is a bit tougher than NYC.