Thanks Coach Lavin, good luck

• 1170 replies

TONYD3

Re: Thanks Coach Lavin, good luck
« Reply #600 on: January 27, 2015, 09:31:40 PM »
I would think recruiting To Minnesota is a bit tougher than NYC.
St. Johns is not NYC it is Union Turnpike. Nothing wrong with union turnpike, its a nice neighborhood. Never been to Minnesota, but have been to other big state colleges in SEC and Big Ten. College experience is so much better. Lavin beating  bigger schools for players is amazing to me. Two of my best friends went to Ohio State. My brother went to Florida. Don't know what I was thinking. Their fun level, life style, and fan experice kills what I had.

« Reply #601 on: January 27, 2015, 10:49:05 PM »
Maybe Billy D wants a change of scenery
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 10:49:36 PM by Marco Baldi »

« Reply #602 on: January 27, 2015, 10:51:05 PM »
Maybe Billy D wants a change of scenery

We can dream, but that's about it

Poison

« Reply #603 on: January 27, 2015, 11:02:23 PM »
Our fan base is so delusional.  This job has very little to almost no appeal, there is no big name coach lining up at the door... 

Now young Pitino or Hurley brothers are the key back to the glory days of the mid-eigthies? ??? LOL
The job has more appeal than Dayton, and they got Archie Miller.  The job now has more appeal than Xavier, and they got Sean Miller.  We name at least 5 others ...

Imo, the next coach might not be a big name, but as many have rightly said on the board, we need a young, energetic coach that will build on whatever Lavs' final legacy is (for better or worse when the time comes). 

Some disagreed when I posted Fraschilla's order of importance for a head coach, but it has some support:
1) recruiting 2) scheduling 3) keeping guys eligible & 4) coaching, in that order.

There is no dumber argument than the St.John's isn't a premier job anymore argument. How about this: Working in Kentucky and Kansas is a pathetic existence under any circumstance. I don't care what you're doing, you're in Kentucky, and you're f'n pathetic because you're there on your free will.

Lavin may or not be here for the long run. I certainly have my concerns, but I give him credit for the one thing he's done better anything else. And that's selling St.John's as a chance to leave your insignificant sorry excuse for a city and come to NY, and be a star where it actually means something if you're a star.

There are 12 million people in NY. If this isn't a city a respectable professional wants to come to, how did they all wind up here?

« Reply #604 on: January 28, 2015, 07:34:01 AM »
Personally, I don't have a problem with Lavin's coaching this year. I think it's been fine.

The problem stems from two poor recruiting classes. He only signed 1 difference maker in 2013 and he completely dropped the ball in 2014. If this team had 1 or 2 extra guys (preferably guys with height), they would've won a couple of those close games (Gonzaga, SHU, Butler, Villanova, or Duke).

He only had one scholarship in 2013.  I can agree with 2014.  Frankly, Thomas and ADR has killed our '14 class.  I believe both of 'em would've paid dividends with this team. 

This is my problem with '14 though. First of all, ADR was nowhere and is still not even close to being in game shape. There's a reason St. John's was competing with Fordham for his services. In no way am I saying the kid can't turn it around and bust his ass to lose the weight. But I think we all knew he wasn't going to be much of a factor this season.

As for KT, I agree that loss killed us. But I had a lot less sympathy for our program when I heard rival coaches saying I took one look at his transcript and knew he was an academic nightmare. How that gets missed is still beyond me. Either way. Lavin should've had more possibilities out there besides a long term project and a 24 year old JC kid.

Foad

« Reply #605 on: January 28, 2015, 07:44:16 AM »
Our fan base is so delusional.  This job has very little to almost no appeal, there is no big name coach lining up at the door... 

Now young Pitino or Hurley brothers are the key back to the glory days of the mid-eigthies? ??? LOL
The job has more appeal than Dayton, and they got Archie Miller.  The job now has more appeal than Xavier, and they got Sean Miller.  We name at least 5 others ...

Imo, the next coach might not be a big name, but as many have rightly said on the board, we need a young, energetic coach that will build on whatever Lavs' final legacy is (for better or worse when the time comes). 

Some disagreed when I posted Fraschilla's order of importance for a head coach, but it has some support:
1) recruiting 2) scheduling 3) keeping guys eligible & 4) coaching, in that order.

There is no dumber argument than the St.John's isn't a premier job anymore argument. How about this: Working in Kentucky and Kansas is a pathetic existence under any circumstance. I don't care what you're doing, you're in Kentucky, and you're f'n pathetic because you're there on your free will.

Lavin may or not be here for the long run. I certainly have my concerns, but I give him credit for the one thing he's done better anything else. And that's selling St.John's as a chance to leave your insignificant sorry excuse for a city and come to NY, and be a star where it actually means something if you're a star.

There are 12 million people in NY. If this isn't a city a respectable professional wants to come to, how did they all wind up here?

I realize that most of the stuff you say is merely bait, but even so this is ridiculous. The only people who think merely living in NYC is a praiseworthy accomplishment are (a) unaccomplished people living in NYC and (b) high school students from Long Island. I don't know how low my self esteem would have to be to raise it by moving somewhere but I can imagine how low yours is. Breaking news: living in Kew Gardens doesn't make you super-cool. There's more important things in life than bagels.

Even if NYC was all that, and it's not, Queens isn't NYC. It's the gateway to Syosset. Jamaica is a sinkhole. Saint John's is - charitably - a mediocre school. The BB facilities suck and the fan base is the worst in all of sports. 

Saint John's is where coaching careers go to die. That's why you have to pay even a clown like Lavin - who comes right out and says he doesn't care whether he succeeds at it - 2 million a year to do it. And it's why you extend him after he fails. Because no "accomplished professional" in his right mind would take it.

LoganK

« Reply #606 on: January 28, 2015, 08:11:19 AM »

This was just a silly post...

Poison

« Reply #607 on: January 28, 2015, 08:21:36 AM »

Assume for a moment that you're not a rabid kansas student at a sold out Texas game, but a 40 year old man with a wife and a family. Would you rather live in Soho, or in some Midwestern trailer park?

If NY wasn't a desirable place to live, you could live here for the same $400 rent that you'd pay in some disgusting backwoods dump, like Kansas.

This is Lavin's selling point for STJ. Come to New York. It's had some success.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 08:22:35 AM by Poison »

hnk

« Reply #608 on: January 28, 2015, 08:36:00 AM »
Foad, now you've gone too far.  There is nothing more important than bagels.  Let's see if you can man up and admit you made a careless error.  No need to apologize.

Foad

« Reply #609 on: January 28, 2015, 08:36:38 AM »

Assume for a moment that you're not a rabid kansas student at a sold out Texas game, but a 40 year old man with a wife and a family. Would you rather live in Soho, or in some Midwestern trailer park?

The average rent in Soho is about $4000 a month. You can get a pretty nice trailer for that.

hnk

« Reply #610 on: January 28, 2015, 08:39:25 AM »
Would the trailer come with bagels?

Foad

« Reply #611 on: January 28, 2015, 08:44:58 AM »
Foad, now you've gone too far.  There is nothing more important than bagels.  Let's see if you can man up and admit you made a careless error.  No need to apologize.

I almost said pizza but I regained my senses.

« Reply #612 on: January 28, 2015, 08:49:29 AM »
if we played either Dayton or Iowa we would beat them more then we would lose. Are either better? Both of these guys are more comparable then significantly better

We just lost to freakin DePaul and had Marquette give us a scare at home and you're telling me we would beat Dayton and Iowa more than we would lose? We might split with Dayton in a 10 game series, we lose to Iowa 8 out of 10 times. I don't know what world people live in sometimes. I really don't
We beat Syracuse. Iowa lost to them. We beat Minnesota by 9 they won by 2. Only same opponents. Sorry you lost your argument. Maybe Fran is a better coach but its not a slam dunk. What world do you live in? By the way Dayton is only playing 5/6 guys coach must be an idiot.

Iowa also beat UNC at the Dean Dome and swept Ohio State this season. Give Lavin an NBA team and he wouldn't do that.

Archie took Dayton to an elite 8. Let me repeat. Archie Miller took Dayton to an elite 8. And unlike Lavin, Archie knows how to coach a team that is down to 5-6 guys and is beating the teams they are supposed to beat.

Which up and coming coach do you think would come to St. John's?

Richard Pitino or Bobby Hurley - both would take the job I think...

I'd go with Pitino.  Hurley will be the white Norm Roberts...especially if his father retires and we lose a potential St Anthony pipeline.

hnk

« Reply #613 on: January 28, 2015, 08:55:02 AM »
This bagel/pizza controversy definitely deserves its own thread.

« Reply #614 on: January 28, 2015, 08:55:52 AM »

What respectable professionals?  I guess you haven't noticed.  Professional sports (with the exception of a hockey resurgence) sucks big time in this town.  Not everyone buys into the most overrated arena hype.  Good luck Phil Jackson!

« Reply #615 on: January 28, 2015, 09:21:32 AM »
hell id take FF part deux , but we know that would never happen. in seriousness. Lavin has alot of improvement in bench coaching , and recruiting players who are academically eligible and dont have taint on them. That being said, id hitch my wagon to a 2 year extenstion see if he can seal the deal on diallo, papa , and or Lovett/mussini and go to war with that.

LoganK

« Reply #616 on: January 28, 2015, 09:49:38 AM »

If NY wasn't a desirable place to live, you could live here for the same $400 rent that you'd pay in some disgusting backwoods dump, like Kansas.

This is Lavin's selling point for STJ. Come to New York. It's had some success.

For many people, the $3500/month one bedroom soho apartment sounds appealing.  For many others, the $700/month three bedroom midwestern house sounds much better....especially for the 40 year old with the wife and the family.
Luckily, we recruit 18 year old kids instead of 40 year old married guys so I imagine some of them are enamored by the bright lights.

What I'm saying is, while I completely understand that you and many other people prefer city life (specifically NYC), there plenty of people who prefer "alternative" lifestyles.

« Reply #617 on: January 28, 2015, 10:25:00 AM »
Lavin coaches out his contract, then all hand$ on deck to grab Billy Donovan.

« Reply #618 on: January 28, 2015, 10:39:47 AM »
Jamaica vs Gainesville? Let me think? If I am Billy I can make more money in Florida, on a beautiful campus, in a beautiful city with everything  a big time university has to offer in the way of social life and the arts, in a great league that gets me more tv exposure than the Big East. And I don't have to pay state or local income tax, meaning I get to save the 17% NYS and NYC would take in taxes. At 5 m a year, that is a savings of 850,000, or over ten years, its 8.5 million more in my pocket. . Or I can come to SJU, take a pay cut, pay ridiculous taxes, spend two hours on the LIE every day in traffic getting to work, lose my big time and far superior recruiting amenities  base, and call Union Turnpike home. Is there any wonder that Billy turned down this job before Lavin accepted it? Lots of people come to NY because that is where you can earn big bucks. But when you can make substantially more in a beautiful place like Kentucky or Gainesville,, where your sports program dominates press coverage, and everyone you meet is a fan, you would be nuts to come to NY, where pro sports dominates the news. This is why the best coaches are located in places like Kansas, Syracuse, Durham, etc. And if you think you can't get good bagels or pizza there, you have not been there. Blissful ignorance and arrogance. And Pitino raises horse --Kentucky is a natural. Billy fishes and Florida offers world class fishing. Life is better elsewhere because you can follow your passion there. The only reason to come to NY is to make more money. Take that out of the equation and NY ain't so attractive. That is the reality.

Pete88

« Reply #619 on: January 28, 2015, 10:41:05 AM »

Ture, but none of those guys were big name coaches when they got the job.  Reality is you roll the dice anytime you hire an up and coming coach.  Sometimes they work out, most times they don't. 
BTW, neither of those you mentioned would leave their current position to come here.  Unless you threw silly money at them, they don't view SJU as a step up, that speaks volumes.