Thanks Coach Lavin, good luck

• 1170 replies

Pete88

Re: Thanks Coach Lavin, good luck
« Reply #620 on: January 28, 2015, 10:49:43 AM »
Our fan base is so delusional.  This job has very little to almost no appeal, there is no big name coach lining up at the door... 

Now young Pitino or Hurley brothers are the key back to the glory days of the mid-eigthies? ??? LOL
The job has more appeal than Dayton, and they got Archie Miller.  The job now has more appeal than Xavier, and they got Sean Miller.  We name at least 5 others ...

Imo, the next coach might not be a big name, but as many have rightly said on the board, we need a young, energetic coach that will build on whatever Lavs' final legacy is (for better or worse when the time comes). 

Some disagreed when I posted Fraschilla's order of importance for a head coach, but it has some support:
1) recruiting 2) scheduling 3) keeping guys eligible & 4) coaching, in that order.

There is no dumber argument than the St.John's isn't a premier job anymore argument. How about this: Working in Kentucky and Kansas is a pathetic existence under any circumstance. I don't care what you're doing, you're in Kentucky, and you're f'n pathetic because you're there on your free will.

Lavin may or not be here for the long run. I certainly have my concerns, but I give him credit for the one thing he's done better anything else. And that's selling St.John's as a chance to leave your insignificant sorry excuse for a city and come to NY, and be a star where it actually means something if you're a star.

There are 12 million people in NY. If this isn't a city a respectable professional wants to come to, how did they all wind up here?

LOL, just another ignorant NY'er who has no appreciation or knowledge of the real world or for that matter the rest of the country.  Keep on keeping on Poison

TONYD3

« Reply #621 on: January 28, 2015, 10:52:21 AM »
Doe anyone think big time when the walk into alumni hall?

« Reply #622 on: January 28, 2015, 10:56:57 AM »
Jamaica vs Gainesville? Let me think? If I am Billy I can make more money in Florida, on a beautiful campus, in a beautiful city with everything  a big time university has to offer in the way of social life and the arts, in a great league that gets me more tv exposure than the Big East. And I don't have to pay state or local income tax, meaning I get to save the 17% NYS and NYC would take in taxes. At 5 m a year, that is a savings of 850,000, or over ten years, its 8.5 million more in my pocket. . Or I can come to SJU, take a pay cut, pay ridiculous taxes, spend two hours on the LIE every day in traffic getting to work, lose my big time and far superior recruiting amenities  base, and call Union Turnpike home. Is there any wonder that Billy turned down this job before Lavin accepted it? Lots of people come to NY because that is where you can earn big bucks. But when you can make substantially more in a beautiful place like Kentucky or Gainesville,, where your sports program dominates press coverage, and everyone you meet is a fan, you would be nuts to come to NY, where pro sports dominates the news. This is why the best coaches are located in places like Kansas, Syracuse, Durham, etc. And if you think you can't get good bagels or pizza there, you have not been there. Blissful ignorance and arrogance. And Pitino raises horse --Kentucky is a natural. Billy fishes and Florida offers world class fishing. Life is better elsewhere because you can follow your passion there. The only reason to come to NY is to make more money. Take that out of the equation and NY ain't so attractive. That is the reality.

Just so happens Billy's contract is up same time as Lavins. Billy's youngest kid is a senior on his team right now. Time  for a change of scenery Billy, come on home and be the king of NY

boo3

« Reply #623 on: January 28, 2015, 11:01:09 AM »
 The idea that NYC is still the " end all be all" is completely absurd..  Most realize this..  I can't possible count the amount of people I know who have gotten the hell out of NY in the last 6-7 years.    Doesn't mean that there aren't people/coaches/players that are still enamored with it.    IMO, I think the next coach should have some NY roots. Need to own the NYC player pipeline once again. I know it's not the same anymore, but last 10 years we have missed on way too many quality local kids..   Not even talking about 5 stars here.

"tis a beautiful country... Some of you should check it out.

Looking forward to doing it myself ( relocating that is)

boo3

« Reply #624 on: January 28, 2015, 11:15:27 AM »
Jamaica vs Gainesville? Let me think? If I am Billy I can make more money in Florida, on a beautiful campus, in a beautiful city with everything  a big time university has to offer in the way of social life and the arts, in a great league that gets me more tv exposure than the Big East. And I don't have to pay state or local income tax, meaning I get to save the 17% NYS and NYC would take in taxes. At 5 m a year, that is a savings of 850,000, or over ten years, its 8.5 million more in my pocket. . Or I can come to SJU, take a pay cut, pay ridiculous taxes, spend two hours on the LIE every day in traffic getting to work, lose my big time and far superior recruiting amenities  base, and call Union Turnpike home. Is there any wonder that Billy turned down this job before Lavin accepted it? Lots of people come to NY because that is where you can earn big bucks. But when you can make substantially more in a beautiful place like Kentucky or Gainesville,, where your sports program dominates press coverage, and everyone you meet is a fan, you would be nuts to come to NY, where pro sports dominates the news. This is why the best coaches are located in places like Kansas, Syracuse, Durham, etc. And if you think you can't get good bagels or pizza there, you have not been there. Blissful ignorance and arrogance. And Pitino raises horse --Kentucky is a natural. Billy fishes and Florida offers world class fishing. Life is better elsewhere because you can follow your passion there. The only reason to come to NY is to make more money. Take that out of the equation and NY ain't so attractive. That is the reality.

Just so happens Billy's contract is up same time as Lavins. Billy's youngest kid is a senior on his team right now. Time  for a change of scenery Billy, come on home and be the king of NY

A nice story...Everyone would sign up for that tomorrow.    Not going to happen.. Let's be realistic.     I kinda like Steve Pikiell from Stoney Brook.. Conn native( not NYC but close) .  He's built a program from the depths over there. Don't know enough about his recruiting prowess but he's doing something right.

Them big- flashy names we always throw out aren't happening....  I'm waiting for a Matt Doherty suggestion soon, Cal maybe?  Knight out of retirement.....Majerus ( rip)

« Reply #625 on: January 28, 2015, 11:24:13 AM »

A nice story...Everyone would sign up for that tomorrow.    Not going to happen.. Let's be realistic.     I kinda like Steve Pikiell from Stoney Brook.. Conn native( not NYC but close) .  He's built a program from the depths over there. Don't know enough about his recruiting prowess but he's doing something right.

Them big- flashy names we always throw out aren't happening....  I'm waiting for a Matt Doherty suggestion soon, Cal maybe?  Knight out of retirement.....Majerus ( rip)

You don't have to like me or my posts, but trust me when I say this. If the big money people have their way(which is usually the case) they are looking for Bigtime coach. No retreads or long shots.  Connect the dots.

« Reply #626 on: January 28, 2015, 11:24:42 AM »
I nominate Walter Berry. Everyone always mentions Mullin, Berry getting the shafty if you ask me

« Reply #627 on: January 28, 2015, 11:55:18 AM »
LIfe is painful, dreary drudgery, as Chekhov postulates, wherever you are.  The things that make it somewhat tolerable and provide a brief respite from it all; cheesecake, beer and p*ssy taste the same in Kentucky as in New York.  Watching college bball from your den in Kansas looks the same as from your Soho apartment.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 11:56:49 AM by carmineabbatiello »

boo3

« Reply #628 on: January 28, 2015, 12:04:53 PM »
"You don't have to like me or my posts, but trust me when I say this. "

a bit dramatic, no?   I don't trust you...but holy crap, you are due to be right one of these times. 

desco80

« Reply #629 on: January 28, 2015, 12:35:10 PM »
Steve's here for the long term, this thread is a waste of everyone's time. This team is prime to make a deep BET and NCAA run over the next 8 weeks, couple that with a supposed monster, international/US class in the week's following the tourney and Lavin's looking at an easy 5 year extension. We should be gameplanning for Creighton, yet this is the only active convo going on today, cmon fellas.

Are your fortunes directly tied to Lavin?
You do realize it's not up to "Steve" right?   He doesn't get to give himself an extension, as much as he may like to.   

« Reply #630 on: January 28, 2015, 12:47:06 PM »
If the money men get their way it's Donovan, if not  it's Hurley.

« Reply #631 on: January 28, 2015, 12:58:10 PM »

Is Donovan or Hurley going to coach all those kids you said were coming when Norm was coach? Or do you have better "sources" now?

« Reply #632 on: January 28, 2015, 12:59:34 PM »
One thing about Donavan that I'm sure he can't like is cal running through the SEC. Donovan could be king of the BE. Maybe that could be worth something.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Foad

« Reply #633 on: January 28, 2015, 01:03:28 PM »
One thing about Donavan that I'm sure he can't like is cal running through the SEC. Donovan could be king of the BE. Maybe that could be worth something.

Donovan is making 4 million this year and 3.7 million for the next 5 until his contract expires in 2019. So being king of the BE  better be worth more than the 21 million. Because you can buy a lot of solace for 21 million dollars.

« Reply #634 on: January 28, 2015, 01:03:40 PM »

Is Donovan or Hurley going to coach all those kids you said were coming when Norm was coach? Or do you have better "sources" now?

You already know that answer. I'll just say this, you think the school can continue to pay this staff  and their ridiculous salaries?  Nope.

« Reply #635 on: January 28, 2015, 01:10:57 PM »
We are Nostradamus has seen the future. Here is how this plays out.

Immediately following our NIT first round loss Lavin and SJU mutually part ways. Lavin claims he felt he brought SJU back to prominence with 4 tourney appearances in 5 years. He claims he wants to back to the West coast because unlike the Patriot footballs, the cold weather actually inflates his head. If you look at pictures of him from UCLA days and now, who can argue with him?

Willard is hired and after not making any tourney's for 3 years, he is fired much to the delight of everyone but Baldi who claims Lavin left him with nothing.

Fresh off of back to back NCAA champion ships seasons and one step ahead of NCAA posse, SJU hires John Calipari to be its new coach. Everyone except Lou Carnescca and Baldi are ecstatic. Baldi points out that Kentucky was just dealt the death penalty and is now not even allowed to have a basketball team. Louie asks for his name to be removed from the arena.

Cal immediately gets the top rated recruiting class in the country and guides SJU to its first NCAA championship.
Unfortunately the day after the championship banner is hung at Calipari arena, coach resigns to go coach Kevin Durant and the Knicks. All 5 Cal recruits declare for the NCAA and we are put on 10 year probation.

Norm Roberts son is hired as the new SJU coach.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 01:14:26 PM by we are sju »

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #636 on: January 28, 2015, 01:12:26 PM »
SJU has a lot to offer and I just don't believe that we cannot find solid recruits who want the taste of the big city life...Yes SJU does count and MSG still does mean something...Coach K even said he was glad to get his 1,000 at MSG.

If SJU was trying to be a football school I would agree with many of you that SJU facilities are really lacking, but we are talking basketball. There are many school similiar in size that  have been good over the years (Zags). There have been huge schools with lots of money to throw around that have been bad for many years.

I have been living in Texas for almost six years, and I have had a chance to see some of these big time schools. Everything in these major conferences focuses around Football. My wife went to TCU and she never went to a Basketball game.

Austin is nice but their big street is a glorified Bell Blvd. A&M fan base is rabid but College Station is in the middle of nowhere so there is nothing to do except be involved in campus life (Probably like most major campuses). The bigger reason that Cuse has been good for some many years has to do with Coach B then facilities...Defiantly not because of where the school is located...

SJU was good up until the early 90s and they had the same if not more limited facilities. The real issue is bad management and coaching. If SJU can figure that out (I believe the new President will be more attentive to the BBall program then the last one) the program will really turn around. The verdict is still out if Lavin can fully turn this program around, but until the management part is fixed, SJU will continue to struggle.
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #637 on: January 28, 2015, 01:12:50 PM »
Donavan already said no last time around. End of story. Also, the number mentioned above --4m per year---is low and does not include side deals like camps, radio, tv, etc. Moreover, if he wanted to leave Gainesville and come to a big city, he could move to NBA and make far more than he is earning in Florida. Some posters need a dose of realism.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #638 on: January 28, 2015, 01:14:45 PM »
We are Nostradamus has seen the future. Here is how this plays out.

Immediately following our NIT first round loss Lavin and SJU mutually part ways. Lavin claims he felt he brought SJU back to prominence with 4 tourney appearances in 5 years. He claims he wants to back to the West coast because unlike the Patriot footballs, the cold weather actually inflates his head. If you look at pictures of him from UCLA days and now, who can argue with him?

Willard his hired and despite not making any tourney for 3 years, he is fired much to the delight of everyone but Baldi who claims Lavin left him with nothing.

Fresh off of back to back NCAA champion ships seasons and one step ahead of NCAA posse, SJU hires John Calipari to be its new coach. Everyone except Lou Carnescca and Baldi are ecstatic. Baldi points out that Kentucky was just dealt the death penalty and is now not even allowed to have a basketball team. Louie asks for his name to be removed from the arena.

Cal immediately gets the top rated recruiting class in the country and guides SJU to its first NCAA championship.
Unfortunately the day after the championship banner is hung at Calipari arena, coach resigns to go coach Kevin Durant and the Knicks. All 5 Cal recruits declare for the NCAA and we are put on 10 year probation.

Norm Roberts son is hired as the new SJU coach.

But we won right?! And it's not vacated?
Cougar O' Malley

boo3

« Reply #639 on: January 28, 2015, 01:17:44 PM »
Donovan isn't coming.   Please stop with the absurdity.

If we are going to speculate lets keep it in the realm of reality.