Thanks Coach Lavin, good luck

• 1170 replies
Re: Thanks Coach Lavin, good luck
« Reply #640 on: January 28, 2015, 01:19:15 PM »
We are Nostradamus has seen the future. Here is how this plays out.

Immediately following our NIT first round loss Lavin and SJU mutually part ways. Lavin claims he felt he brought SJU back to prominence with 4 tourney appearances in 5 years. He claims he wants to back to the West coast because unlike the Patriot footballs, the cold weather actually inflates his head. If you look at pictures of him from UCLA days and now, who can argue with him?

Willard his hired and despite not making any tourney for 3 years, he is fired much to the delight of everyone but Baldi who claims Lavin left him with nothing.

Fresh off of back to back NCAA champion ships seasons and one step ahead of NCAA posse, SJU hires John Calipari to be its new coach. Everyone except Lou Carnescca and Baldi are ecstatic. Baldi points out that Kentucky was just dealt the death penalty and is now not even allowed to have a basketball team. Louie asks for his name to be removed from the arena.

Cal immediately gets the top rated recruiting class in the country and guides SJU to its first NCAA championship.
Unfortunately the day after the championship banner is hung at Calipari arena, coach resigns to go coach Kevin Durant and the Knicks. All 5 Cal recruits declare for the NCAA and we are put on 10 year probation.

Norm Roberts son is hired as the new SJU coach.

But we won right?! And it's not vacated?

Does it matter? Would you care? Wasn't Elite 8 taken away? I would sign up for the way that "prediction" played out BTW

boo3

« Reply #641 on: January 28, 2015, 01:21:30 PM »
 I'd sign up for We are SJU scenario in a second...

The joy is in the season, in the moment... 

Vacated or not, it happened.   Sign me up.

Poison

« Reply #642 on: January 28, 2015, 01:24:09 PM »
hell id take FF part deux , but we know that would never happen. in seriousness. Lavin has alot of improvement in bench coaching , and recruiting players who are academically eligible and dont have taint on them. That being said, id hitch my wagon to a 2 year extenstion see if he can seal the deal on diallo, papa , and or Lovett/mussini and go to war with that.

For the all the praise he gets for his recruiting ability, the 96-97 Storm was loaded with upperclassmen, and stunk up the BE. Don't get me wrong, he's probably the best of the bunch overall, but he's also far from perfect.

« Reply #643 on: January 28, 2015, 03:12:54 PM »
Gee I hope someone is trying to buyout contracts

« Reply #644 on: January 28, 2015, 04:02:41 PM »
Donovan isn't coming.   Please stop with the absurdity.

If we are going to speculate lets keep it in the realm of reality.
It's craziness for his name to come up.  He busted his butt to build up a nothing bball program. It'll have to be NBA money to get him to leave there befor ehe retires.  Or the Duke/UNC job. That's about it.  Stevens is Duke's next HC, so he can forget there too -  ;D

« Reply #645 on: January 28, 2015, 04:09:00 PM »

It's craziness for his name to come up.  He busted his butt to build up a nothing bball program. It'll have to be NBA money to get him to leave there befor ehe retires.  Or the Duke/UNC job. That's about it.  Stevens is Duke's next HC, so he can forget there too -  ;D

NBA money is what this school has in basketball donors
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 04:09:38 PM by Marco Baldi »

« Reply #646 on: January 28, 2015, 04:22:10 PM »

Obviously, you heard they might part with it to get that caliber of coach.  I still don't see any coach, in a good situation where he's currently at, coming unless the money AND the situation are ripe for immediate success.  I cannot get past that in my mind, although I've been wrong before.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 04:23:15 PM by bball purist »

« Reply #647 on: January 28, 2015, 04:25:07 PM »

Obviously, you heard they might part with it to get that caliber of coach.  I still don't see any coach, in a good situation where he's currently at, coming unless the money AND the situation are ripe for immediate success.  I cannot get past that in my mind, although I've been wrong before.

I don't think this current staff is back next year even if they make the tournament

« Reply #648 on: January 28, 2015, 04:26:29 PM »

I don't think this current staff is back next year even if they make the tournament
I would lean towards you being correct, or else extension would be done by now (imo).

Moose

« Reply #649 on: January 28, 2015, 04:31:22 PM »

Stevens to Duke
Shaka to UNC
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #650 on: January 28, 2015, 04:34:46 PM »

Stevens to Duke
Shaka to UNC
If I'm betting on it, they have my money.

« Reply #651 on: January 28, 2015, 04:42:38 PM »
Pikiell cannot be considered a candidate with Will Brown cleaning his clock on such a regular basis.  If you are looking to dip into the America East coaching pool.  You'll have to head north.

« Reply #652 on: January 28, 2015, 04:54:13 PM »
The Knicks brought back Holtzman, ST John's brought back Louie. I think we should follow that and bring back our most succesful coach post Louie. Bring back Jarvis!

boo3

« Reply #653 on: January 28, 2015, 04:54:43 PM »
Stevens is leaving Celtics, why? 

He's a head coach in the NBA for one of the greatest franchises in all of sport ( winningest at least).  Hand selected to slowly rebuild the team from the bottom up..  He's doing a great job and they love him there. 

Replacing K at Duke is the ultimate no-win situation...  Why would anyone leave a great situation at the top of your industry for that?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 04:56:19 PM by boo3 »

« Reply #654 on: January 28, 2015, 04:58:01 PM »
The Knicks brought back Holtzman, ST John's brought back Louie. I think we should follow that and bring back our most succesful coach post Louie. Bring back Jarvis!

I'd take FF over Jarvis.

« Reply #655 on: January 28, 2015, 04:59:44 PM »
Stevens is leaving Celtics, why? 

He's a head coach in the NBA for one of the greatest franchises in all of sport ( winningest at least).  Hand selected to slowly rebuild the team from the bottom up..  He's doing a great job and they love him there. 

Replacing K at Duke is the ultimate no-win situation...  Why would anyone leave a great situation at the top of your industry for that?

That rebuild going to take awhile. Guy is a great coach but if after your first pro job you wind up 100 or so games under .500, people might forget the circumstances and look at your record. Tough thing to have to rebuild. Usually those coaches aren't around when things finally get turned around. 

Johnny23

« Reply #656 on: January 28, 2015, 05:01:36 PM »
If the Johnnies are serious about this, they'll go hard after Smart or one of the other hot names out there.

« Reply #657 on: January 28, 2015, 05:06:03 PM »
If the Johnnies are serious about this, they'll go hard after Smart or one of the other hot names out there.

Shaka Smart has a ridiculous contract and a top 25 team. Why would he want a demotion

boo3

« Reply #658 on: January 28, 2015, 05:08:28 PM »
True... But Stevens was brought in for this purpose..  That's why he got a 6 year deal...  They have like5 first round picks coming up..  They will be good pretty soon...  Sooner than the Knicks.

Johnny23

« Reply #659 on: January 28, 2015, 05:08:30 PM »

Shaka Smart has a ridiculous contract and a top 25 team. Why would he want a demotion

NYC, the Big East, MSG. SJU would have to pay him top $$ to take him from VCU.