Thanks Coach Lavin, good luck

• 1170 replies

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
Re: Thanks Coach Lavin, good luck
« Reply #720 on: January 29, 2015, 10:16:21 AM »
Does Monasch have to go too?
I lean towards yes, the only thing that makes me hesitate is that the rest of the athletic program has been run rather well.

I think he definitely has to go. The bulk of the athletic program's revenues comes from one sport...Men's basketball. This guy is one of the main reasons that SJU has never become a big time college team again. He seems to not put the emphasis on the big time business that is college hoops. I want an AD who has a vision to want this team as a top 20 club every year. Monasch would be better running a smaller school's athletic dept. 

The Big East was built around basketball, being good in other sports is good but Basketball is far and beyond the most important sport.  Monasch didn't have a plan to replace Norm, and the amount of player issues under Lavin is pathetic. Also the new SJU President might want to bring in his own AD, and this will give him the perfect chance to do so.
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #721 on: January 29, 2015, 10:29:35 AM »
Why hasn't anyone brought up Archie Miller?
+1

« Reply #722 on: January 29, 2015, 10:31:34 AM »
+1

Because he may have bigger fish to fry, that's why.

« Reply #723 on: January 29, 2015, 10:32:50 AM »
+1

Miller has been brought up multiple times

Wods317

« Reply #724 on: January 29, 2015, 10:45:14 AM »
+1

Miller has been brought up multiple times

He would be a slam dunk but he is Gona have some offers from great programs. This job is very appealing I believe. The conference has been great, msg, open scholarships to build your own team (can be a negative also) but even with our recent struggles this is still a top 40 job in my estimation and obviously those don't open up all that often. We can and should be picky and get a quality all around coach.

« Reply #725 on: January 29, 2015, 10:52:21 AM »

He would be a great hire, but I just don't see it happening.

« Reply #726 on: January 29, 2015, 11:33:43 AM »
If they do fire Lavin, my guess is it will come down to 3 coaches: Tim Cluess, Dan Hurley, or Bobby Hurley

« Reply #727 on: January 29, 2015, 11:48:54 AM »
If they do fire Lavin, my guess is it will come down to 3 coaches: Tim Cluess, Dan Hurley, or Bobby Hurley

Yup, that's the scary part IMO. I guess they could do good things but to me each is a risk.

« Reply #728 on: January 29, 2015, 12:07:56 PM »

Yup, that's the scary part IMO. I guess they could do good things but to me each is a risk.

I'd rather have Lavin.  Those three would permanently cement us to where I think we are already...somewhere between an overachieving mid-major and a woefully underachieving second tier high major.

« Reply #729 on: January 29, 2015, 12:08:04 PM »
How the hell can we justify Cluess?  He is great for Iona because Grasso delivers far, far superior talent to pretty much everyone else in that conference.  But I don't see how his no-defense philosophy will work against better competition.  And the type of talent level he brings to St. John's is not going to dwarf other BE schools, like it does with the guys he brings to Iona.   

I know Cluess has won pretty much everywhere he's been, and that is a big plus in my book, but I just don't see it working out here. 

ras

« Reply #730 on: January 29, 2015, 12:11:04 PM »
Who would have thought that w all our highly ranked recruits, Lavins lone NCAA appearance would be w Norms players.

SJUFAN

« Reply #731 on: January 29, 2015, 12:23:07 PM »

If that is the list of coaches to choose from then we might as well keep Lavin. We need a coach that has a national reach. NYC kids have and will continue to go outside of NY to play basketball. That has always been the case with a few exceptions. Norm did everything he could and at the end of the day NYC coaches sent their top kids elsewhere. Lavin doesn't have to rely on a NYC pipeline that in essence has been a pipedream. I'm open for a change, but we need to stop the marry go round. Stop rolling the dice and bring in a proven commodity if a change is to be made. 

« Reply #732 on: January 29, 2015, 12:32:05 PM »
St. John's should contact the agent for Pitt Coach Jamie Dixon and inquire whether he would like to move his gig to Jamaica. 

I am hearing that Dix is feeling irrelevant in the ACC and he may consider move to a program he believes will make him relevant.  Pitt won't make the ACC this season and its long term future ain't rosy.  Dix is currently receiving $2.4/ year which is in the neighborhood that Lavin is being paid. 

There is no reason why St. John's doesn't call Dix's agent to determine whether there is interest.
The All Carolina Cabal has a way of doing that to teams. I'm glad UMD left.   You could be right.  I don't see Pitt ever being in the top 3 save for every 5 years or so if they're lucky. 

Dixon has done what he's done with lesser talent than the top tier of the ACC has.  I enjoyed reading the article on how he is so meticulous with details in running practices and is on top of many nuances of the game. 

I'd definitely call if it comes to it this March....

desco80

« Reply #733 on: January 29, 2015, 12:34:50 PM »

If that is the list of coaches to choose from then we might as well keep Lavin. We need a coach that has a national reach. NYC kids have and will continue to go outside of NY to play basketball. That has always been the case with a few exceptions. Norm did everything he could and at the end of the day NYC coaches sent their top kids elsewhere. Lavin doesn't have to rely on a NYC pipeline that in essence has been a pipedream. I'm open for a change, but we need to stop the marry go round. Stop rolling the dice and bring in a proven commodity if a change is to be made. 

There are about 5-10 proven commodities in college coaching.  We're not getting one of them.   You get the guy who you think has the best qualities, and then you give him the tools to succeed.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 12:35:19 PM by desco80 »

Foad

« Reply #734 on: January 29, 2015, 12:43:01 PM »
St. John's should contact the agent for Pitt Coach Jamie Dixon and inquire whether he would like to move his gig to Jamaica. 

I am hearing that Dix is feeling irrelevant in the ACC and he may consider move to a program he believes will make him relevant.  Pitt won't make the ACC this season and its long term future ain't rosy.  Dix is currently receiving $2.4/ year which is in the neighborhood that Lavin is being paid. 

There is no reason why St. John's doesn't call Dix's agent to determine whether there is interest.
The All Carolina Cabal has a way of doing that to teams. I'm glad UMD left.   You could be right.  I don't see Pitt ever being in the top 3 save for every 5 years or so if they're lucky. 

Dixon has done what he's done with lesser talent than the top tier of the ACC has.  I enjoyed reading the article on how he is so meticulous with details in running practices and is on top of many nuances of the game. 

I'd definitely call if it comes to it this March....

And if it's March Dixon will certainly be free, having once again lost in the first round of the NCAA tournament.

« Reply #735 on: January 29, 2015, 12:43:37 PM »

There are about 5-10 proven commodities in college coaching.  We're not getting one of them.   You get the guy who you think has the best qualities, and then you give him the tools to succeed.
If that's the case, we should at least checking in on Greg Marshall.  Even though he's at 1.6-1.7 under his current extension, his buyout is only 500k.  Maybe he is simply happy at Wichita in a Mark Few kind of way, but I would check anyway.

« Reply #736 on: January 29, 2015, 12:51:04 PM »

I'd rather have Lavin.  Those three would permanently cement us to where I think we are already...somewhere between an overachieving mid-major and a woefully underachieving second tier high major.

This is the exact rationale St. John's used when they refused to hire Bob McKillop multiple times

« Reply #737 on: January 29, 2015, 12:53:22 PM »

Might as well keep Lavin?  This is going to be the 4th straight year he can't even crack the NCAA Tournament.  Are you really telling me that those guys couldn't do any better?

« Reply #738 on: January 29, 2015, 12:58:57 PM »
If your car dies do you spend time thinking about all the potential faults of your new car? If a relationship is over do you start wondering about how crappy the next relationship is? If your job sucks do you start imagining how awful your new job will be? Lavin is finished here. Next year will even be worse. At this point I really do think it will be mutual. I think he knows he can't get the program over the hump and I honestly think he stopped trying, Time to move on regardless of who is on deck!

« Reply #739 on: January 29, 2015, 01:03:59 PM »

Might as well keep Lavin?  This is going to be the 4th straight year he can't even crack the NCAA Tournament.  Are you really telling me that those guys couldn't do any better?

Who knows? They might do better but none of them are a guaranteed success.