Thanks Coach Lavin, good luck

• 1170 replies
Re: Thanks Coach Lavin, good luck
« Reply #740 on: January 29, 2015, 01:07:42 PM »
If your car dies do you spend time thinking about all the potential faults of your new car? If a relationship is over do you start wondering about how crappy the next relationship is? If your job sucks do you start imagining how awful your new job will be? Lavin is finished here. Next year will even be worse. At this point I really do think it will be mutual. I think he knows he can't get the program over the hump and I honestly think he stopped trying, Time to move on regardless of who is on deck!

If your boss is okay, is there a guarantee that your next boss isn't worse? If your girlfriend is okay, is there a guarantee that if you dump her your next gf will be better? It's probably time for a change but it could get a lot worse!

« Reply #741 on: January 29, 2015, 01:08:17 PM »
St. John's should contact the agent for Pitt Coach Jamie Dixon and inquire whether he would like to move his gig to Jamaica. 

I am hearing that Dix is feeling irrelevant in the ACC and he may consider move to a program he believes will make him relevant.  Pitt won't make the ACC this season and its long term future ain't rosy.  Dix is currently receiving $2.4/ year which is in the neighborhood that Lavin is being paid. 

There is no reason why St. John's doesn't call Dix's agent to determine whether there is interest.
The All Carolina Cabal has a way of doing that to teams. I'm glad UMD left.   You could be right.  I don't see Pitt ever being in the top 3 save for every 5 years or so if they're lucky. 

Dixon has done what he's done with lesser talent than the top tier of the ACC has.  I enjoyed reading the article on how he is so meticulous with details in running practices and is on top of many nuances of the game. 

I'd definitely call if it comes to it this March....

And if it's March Dixon will certainly be free, having once again lost in the first round of the NCAA tournament.
The two 1st round losses must have damaged your psyche:

1 Elite Eight, 1 Sweet Sixteen, 5 (real - I don't include play-in bs) 2nd Rounds, 2 1st Rounds, 1 non-appearance.
Overall - Avg - 25-8, 128-66 Overall Conference

Sign me up!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 01:09:35 PM by bball purist »

Johnny23

« Reply #742 on: January 29, 2015, 01:41:11 PM »
If your car dies do you spend time thinking about all the potential faults of your new car? If a relationship is over do you start wondering about how crappy the next relationship is? If your job sucks do you start imagining how awful your new job will be? Lavin is finished here. Next year will even be worse. At this point I really do think it will be mutual. I think he knows he can't get the program over the hump and I honestly think he stopped trying, Time to move on regardless of who is on deck!

If your boss is okay, is there a guarantee that your next boss isn't worse? If your girlfriend is okay, is there a guarantee that if you dump her your next gf will be better? It's probably time for a change but it could get a lot worse!

That doesn't apply to sports and competition. Anyone in charge with a brain doesn't wonder if there's anybody better out there before making a change. They know in their heart of hearts that the person currently in charge is not getting the job done..period! End of story!

They make a change because they believe someone else can come in and lead their team to be more competitive and more wins.

However in this example, I'm assuming that the person on top who makes these decisions has a clue what they're talking about (Monasch, the school president).

I don't believe this AD knows what it takes to build a big time college basketball program. I think he feels like if SJU is a good little local team and generates a little buzz that's ok. If that's what this AD wants then he should go to Fordham or Manhattan where that's very acceptable and he'd be good for.

Yet not at St. John's which at one time was a marquee hoops school. Noone in their right mind thinks anything is marquee about the hoops being played by this team.

« Reply #743 on: January 29, 2015, 01:43:51 PM »
Last night was not the last straw for me because they still have a whole month of games. But if they don't win the BET (which they probably will need to do to get a berth, unless they go undefeated here on out lol) they should fire him.

goredmen

« Reply #744 on: January 29, 2015, 02:21:33 PM »
Why hasn't anyone brought up Archie Miller?
+1

Miller has been brought up multiple times

Yup, I bought him up a few pages back. He would be the #1 on my list of guys that should take a serious run at, even though he will most likely turn us down at the end of the day. His next job will probably be in the ACC or Big 10

jr49

« Reply #745 on: January 29, 2015, 02:50:06 PM »

I like most of us can only go by what we see. Me, I think to many things went the wrong way to bring him back. I have a hard time believing coach Steve gave his all, but I could be dead wrong. The school might feel he busted hump both regarding the team and the school.. He might have just missed on a few players who could have made a big difference. He might do stuff for the school that I didn't even know was part of the job. If he did work hard and was liked he might be asked to make changes on the staff. Really, do I have the right info? I think he left this team naked and in a ditch, so I don't think he should hold the job. If the ADM. not happy, he's out. Does anyone on the board both know and can say what the people who count think of him?

« Reply #746 on: January 29, 2015, 02:51:35 PM »

I like most of us can only go by what we see. Me, I think to many things went the wrong way to bring him back. I have a hard time believing coach Steve gave his all, but I could be dead wrong. The school might feel he busted hump both regarding the team and the school.. He might have just missed on a few players who could have made a big difference. He might do stuff for the school that I didn't even know was part of the job. If he did work hard and was liked he might be asked to make changes on the staff. Really, do I have the right info? I think he left this team naked and in a ditch, so I don't think he should hold the job. If the ADM. not happy, he's out. Does anyone on the board both know and can say what the people who count think of him?

Administration is not a fan. He's out of here
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 02:52:06 PM by Marco Baldi »

« Reply #747 on: January 29, 2015, 03:00:43 PM »

Norm's last team made NIT which is basically what we have been under Lavin. Throw out his best and worse teams and we are a NIT program. I am tired of Lavin and would risk whatever his replacement might bring

Foad

« Reply #748 on: January 29, 2015, 03:19:47 PM »
St. John's should contact the agent for Pitt Coach Jamie Dixon and inquire whether he would like to move his gig to Jamaica. 

I am hearing that Dix is feeling irrelevant in the ACC and he may consider move to a program he believes will make him relevant.  Pitt won't make the ACC this season and its long term future ain't rosy.  Dix is currently receiving $2.4/ year which is in the neighborhood that Lavin is being paid. 

There is no reason why St. John's doesn't call Dix's agent to determine whether there is interest.
The All Carolina Cabal has a way of doing that to teams. I'm glad UMD left.   You could be right.  I don't see Pitt ever being in the top 3 save for every 5 years or so if they're lucky. 

Dixon has done what he's done with lesser talent than the top tier of the ACC has.  I enjoyed reading the article on how he is so meticulous with details in running practices and is on top of many nuances of the game. 

And if it's March Dixon will certainly be free, having once again lost in the first round of the NCAA tournament.

1 Elite Eight, 1 Sweet Sixteen, 5 (real - I don't include play-in bs) 2nd Rounds, 2 1st Rounds, 1 non-appearance.

Sign me up!

And how do those results compare to his rank and seeding? If there's been a team that's underperformed  in the tournament worse than Pitt, I don't know what it is. Other than SJU obviously.

« Reply #749 on: January 29, 2015, 03:24:07 PM »

Sign me up!

And how do those results compare to his rank and seeding? If there's been a team that's underperformed  in the tournament worse than Pitt, I don't know what it is. Other than SJU obviously.

Agreed. No thanks on Dixon. I think they have to aim big(with some help from the $$ people) or some young coach on the fast track which is more affordable. St Johns can't afford the current staff

« Reply #750 on: January 29, 2015, 03:26:16 PM »
I hope we Fire Monasch (the only one who will miss him is the Softball Coach) and bring in Tim Pernetti.

« Reply #751 on: January 29, 2015, 03:28:19 PM »
So Baldi you are saying either a guy like Billy D (who we are not getting) or one of the following:  Danny Hurley, Archie Miller, and Masiello (no Pitino Jr.)

« Reply #752 on: January 29, 2015, 04:01:17 PM »

Sign me up!

Georgetown probably is the other team who has underperformed worst than Pitt. 

The thing is these same folks who are clamoring for a new head coach would rip Dixon to threads, if he performed similarly here, per his high seeding.

The folks who are talking about Cluess and the Hurley brothers....  Definitely, not Cluess, and I'm not so sure about the Hurley's, either. 

« Reply #753 on: January 29, 2015, 04:05:07 PM »
So Baldi you are saying either a guy like Billy D (who we are not getting) or one of the following:  Danny Hurley, Archie Miller, and Masiello (no Pitino Jr.)

Yes. I think Mas is out unfortunately (for outside reasons)

« Reply #754 on: January 29, 2015, 04:05:47 PM »
Gun to my head, next coach is Danny Hurley

« Reply #755 on: January 29, 2015, 04:11:50 PM »

Sign me up!

Georgetown probably is the other team who has underperformed worst than Pitt. 

The thing is these same folks who are clamoring for a new head coach would rip Dixon to threads, if he performed similarly here, per his high seeding.

The folks who are talking about Cluess and the Hurley brothers....  Definitely, not Cluess, and I'm not so sure about the Hurley's, either.

you beat me to it dink
since they made the Final 4:

2008 lost as a 2 seed to # 10 Davidson
2010 lost to Ohio as a 3 vs 14 seed
2011 lost to VCU in a 6/11 game
2012 NC State (11) beats 3 GTown
2013 Florida Gulf as a 15 seed beats GTown

desco80

« Reply #756 on: January 29, 2015, 06:00:05 PM »

Why is little Richard eliminated from the question?

« Reply #757 on: January 29, 2015, 06:13:18 PM »

Why is little Richard eliminated from the question?

I'd love him here, but i'd consider SJU a step down from Minny.

« Reply #758 on: January 29, 2015, 06:53:13 PM »
I think we're paying Gene Keady about what Richard Pitino is making at Minnesota.

paultzman

« Reply #759 on: January 29, 2015, 07:08:22 PM »
I think we're paying Gene Keady about what Richard Pitino is making at Minnesota.

Not true.

http://deadspin.com/heres-richard-pitinos-minnesota-contract-complete-wi-470877141
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 07:11:40 PM by paultzman »