JaKarr chatter on Twitter

• 308 replies
Re: JaKarr chatter on Twitter
« Reply #200 on: March 26, 2014, 12:30:09 PM »
CO is far more important than Sampson.  Keep him and things will be fine if Lavin can pickup some transfers.

We have zero frontcourt scoring nor rebounding next year.  We don't have any legit division 1 frontcourt starters on the team.  How are we going to be competitive?  Who's gonna score?  Who's gonna rebound? Teams will zone us to death, and we didn't score nor rebound well in the frontcourt even with Sampson and Sanchez.

Now we have the worst of all worlds.  We are a poor shooting team that lost/is losing our entire frontcourt.   Teams will zone us to death.

Christian Jones is gonna make so many people eat crow next year.

I'm with you man. He could be the first real offensive post presence we've had in a while (don't really count Evan/Burrell). And I'm really hoping Obekpa stays and we see improvement in his post game too. I think we will be ok.

Not to be a naysayer - and I know he's got big shoulders - but isn't Jones a touch short to be counted on the post guy?    I'm not a hater at all and I know we don't have hardly any options... but I just figured this would be yet another year without post play.
It's not that he's too short.  It's that he's a yet another combo forward who likes the perimeter.  Someone with his size can be an effective 4 man for sure, but Jones has not yet demonstrated a back to the basket game or a propensity to rebound at a high level.

All that said, I like his upside and think he has a good chance to carve out a substantial role.

This combo forward talk came from his high school days. He showed nothing of that his freshmen year. He played inside, he set screens, he looked to post, he hit mid range jump shots off of pick and rolls.
So you think he's a natural 4?  To me, he seemed like a 3 with the body of a 4.

Yea I think natural 4, body of a 4. What did you see that made you think he was a 3?
I don't really know what he is honestly.  I recall wondering why he didn't assert himself in the paint against physically inferior defenders.  He also seemed to float and rely on the mid range jumper.  Either way, his rebounding needs a lot of improvement.  I was hoping he'd be a poor mans Rico Gathers
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 12:31:15 PM by Gray Chudney »

« Reply #201 on: March 26, 2014, 12:34:24 PM »
CO is far more important than Sampson.  Keep him and things will be fine if Lavin can pickup some transfers.

We have zero frontcourt scoring nor rebounding next year.  We don't have any legit division 1 frontcourt starters on the team.  How are we going to be competitive?  Who's gonna score?  Who's gonna rebound? Teams will zone us to death, and we didn't score nor rebound well in the frontcourt even with Sampson and Sanchez.

Now we have the worst of all worlds.  We are a poor shooting team that lost/is losing our entire frontcourt.   Teams will zone us to death.

Christian Jones is gonna make so many people eat crow next year.

I'm with you man. He could be the first real offensive post presence we've had in a while (don't really count Evan/Burrell). And I'm really hoping Obekpa stays and we see improvement in his post game too. I think we will be ok.

Not to be a naysayer - and I know he's got big shoulders - but isn't Jones a touch short to be counted on the post guy?    I'm not a hater at all and I know we don't have hardly any options... but I just figured this would be yet another year without post play.

There have been college fours who were shorter than him and have been successful. Look at Pinkston in our own league. The biggest thing he needs is a realization that he is most often then not the strongest kid out there and that he can get to where he wants to get on the court. If he gets that mean streak that Pinkston has then look at. Maybe im asking for too much but I saw the potential in the kid from day one. Hes also a pretty good passer.
Correct.  It's about knowing what you are as a player, and getting as good as possible at it.  At a minimum, there's some talent to work with, and then it's up to him to improve. 

Heck, Lonny Baxter played center for the Terps by using his barrel chest to body up shot blocking bigs.  He was lucky to be 6'7".  He didn't tower over me standing next to him, but he was a wide dude.  He came in a pudgy, under-recruited player - one never fully knows  a player's desire to get better, play hard, play tough...

« Reply #202 on: March 26, 2014, 01:13:37 PM »
[Yea I think natural 4, body of a 4. What did you see that made you think he was a 3?

FWIW I agree with Chudney.  He seemed to me to want to play the same way Jakarr does.  He didn't go down low unless he had to.  He preferred the jump shot.  He had great hops, but very little post up skills.  He really seemed to be more 3 than 4 to me.   He always seemed like he was too far from the basket for a guy his size.  I think Anthony Glover, but he is nothing like that.

Also, and this is a bit harsh, but his defense was bad his first year.  Often on screens or rubs, he would switch to the wrong man or not close out, and guys got a lot of open looks.  I hope that has changed with another year of practice under his belt.

Fair enough, im not saying you guys are wrong. He didnt play much past the first 6-7 games of the year during last season. My recollection is him never really straying to far out past 15 feet, looking to post, had a couple hook shots, and hit some mid range jumpers following pick and rolls. He had a long way to go but maybe it was tough for him to play with sampson? who knows. I think he will be one of our 5 best players next year. S

Starting lineup of
Jamal
rysheed
Dlo
CJ
Obekpa

and I will be ecstatic about next year. Felix gets sf minutes, phil gets guard minutes, hooper gets quality and consistent minutes (gotta live with the defense) and Dom hopefully improves and excepts role as a physical role player who main job should be to not hurt the team.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #203 on: March 26, 2014, 08:04:34 PM »
this made me LOL on a week with so much shit....

« Reply #204 on: March 27, 2014, 12:04:23 AM »
You guys are amazingly observant.  I don't recall seeing enough of Christian Jones to say what he was good at and what his deficiencies were.  I do recall he was solidly built.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 12:08:31 AM by simplyred »

Marillac

« Reply #205 on: March 27, 2014, 12:25:27 AM »
Jones has the body of a four and had the mindset of a two or three.  He keeps his head up and passes well with the ball...he's got a jumper that is at least equal to Sampson--although I doubt he'd be able to get it off as easily--he defends the post well and doesn't get moved around, but he didn't show 1/10th the quickness or explosion of Sampson around the basket.  I know the kid can jump, but you guys have to separate that from functional explosion...he moved like he wore ten pound ankle weights and a fifty pound weighted vest. 

The good news is that the jump from frosh to soph is usually the biggest and he had an extra year to make it.  I am expecting him to replace GG's minutes, but I could see him taking Orlando's if he has improved.  We'll know right away.

goredmen

« Reply #206 on: March 27, 2014, 12:43:48 AM »
Jones has the body of a four and had the mindset of a two or three.  He keeps his head up and passes well with the ball...he's got a jumper that is at least equal to Sampson--although I doubt he'd be able to get it off as easily--he defends the post well and doesn't get moved around, but he didn't show 1/10th the quickness or explosion of Sampson around the basket.  I know the kid can jump, but you guys have to separate that from functional explosion...he moved like he wore ten pound ankle weights and a fifty pound weighted vest. 

The good news is that the jump from frosh to soph is usually the biggest and he had an extra year to make it.  I am expecting him to replace GG's minutes, but I could see him taking Orlando's if he has improved.  We'll know right away.

So if he takes GG's minutes who takes the other 40 frontcourt minutes up for grabs?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 12:44:24 AM by goredmen »

« Reply #207 on: April 20, 2014, 05:08:12 PM »
JaKarr's 3 pointer has improved. looks nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mI_WVgMML8

hnk

« Reply #208 on: April 20, 2014, 05:20:04 PM »
looks like hooper from 3

Marillac

« Reply #209 on: April 20, 2014, 05:38:14 PM »

Ugly, slow shot.  He looks like has put on a few pounds of muscle the last five weeks training. 

hnk

« Reply #210 on: April 20, 2014, 06:17:32 PM »
CO needs to do that.....I meant ball going through the hoop looked like hooper...

« Reply #211 on: April 20, 2014, 10:16:43 PM »

Ugly, slow shot.  He looks like has put on a few pounds of muscle the last five weeks training. 
Think he looks good and should have worked on these skills while he was here

Marillac

« Reply #212 on: April 21, 2014, 11:50:19 AM »

Think he looks good and should have worked on these skills while he was here

That's all he worked on and that was the problem. If he worked on his game inside-out intead of outside-in, we would have danced and he would have been drafted.

« Reply #213 on: April 21, 2014, 12:27:28 PM »
he shows the ball on every dunk to the defender on his hip.  an easy strip going through the lane. 

Foad

« Reply #214 on: April 21, 2014, 12:30:56 PM »
It's amazing how Sampson's skills have deteriorated in the 3 weeks since he announced his decision to play professional basketball. I can only imagine how awful he'll be by June.

Marillac

« Reply #215 on: April 21, 2014, 05:04:24 PM »
he shows the ball on every dunk to the defender on his hip.  an easy strip going through the lane. 

Lucky for him, his poor handle will never allow him to get that far to being with :)

boo3

« Reply #216 on: April 21, 2014, 08:39:01 PM »
 Nate isn't as down on Jakarr as many on here...

Nathan Blue ‏@Nateblueis4real  Mar 27
@KarrSampson14 has a lot of confidence and was ROY and a top prep player…somebody will take a chance on him, if they're smart.

boo3

« Reply #217 on: April 21, 2014, 08:39:41 PM »
 I hope the kid makes it...  Stranger things have happened. I will be rooting for him 1000%

« Reply #218 on: April 21, 2014, 09:35:36 PM »
I hope the kid makes it...  Stranger things have happened. I will be rooting for him 1000%
+1

« Reply #219 on: April 21, 2014, 10:01:27 PM »
I really believe someone will.  This years draft is pretty deep with players who will major contributors right away and few years down the  line,  but with a bunch of teams having multiple picks he might just be taken as a guy who can be stashed away for a few years.