JaKarr chatter on Twitter

• 308 replies

Poison

Re: JaKarr chatter on Twitter
« Reply #300 on: July 09, 2014, 09:50:07 PM »
Fwiw;

@kc1nyk: #stats #76ers-#Rockets Line of the Game: #FreeAgency Undrafted Rookie SF-SG JaKarr Sampson for #Sixers: 13 pts, 8 reb, 2 ast, 2 blk, 3 stl.

I see that two players from the D league were selected in this year's draft, including PG Harrison in the first round. In light of that Sampson's decision to pursue his own basketball education full time while playing BB for money makes some sense. Especially considering who he'd have been learning basketball from had he remained in school.

It does make some sense. It just doesn't make a lot of sense. So the NBDL produced 2 NBA players in this past draft. That's not a ringing endorsement for their ability to develop players. How much money will Sampson be making? $20,000? $25,000? If STJ costs 60K per year, a student would need to have approximately $120K to pay for one year of college. Seems to me like the value of the NBDL in terms of both NBA opportunity and money is pretty bad.

A much better option would be Italy, France or Spain. Walter Berry made over a million dollars a year.
But then again, this is Jakarr Sampson. It sure ain't The Truth.

I agree that Jakarr Sampson is not as good as just about the best player SJU ever produced (what? Chris who?) and that it is unlikely that he will make Berry money. It is also unlikely that he will ever be as good as Berry, no matter how many years he stays in school and how many PhDs he gets. I agree that he would make more money in Europe than the D league. My only point was that between staying in school for one more year hoping to get drafted after learning BB part time from Coach Tesla and hoping to get drafted after studying BB full time from dedicated personal trainers, strength coaches, and whoever else while getting paid, the former doesn't seem to be that bad an idea. As usual YMMV.

He can always go to college. He can always get a crappy degree from a crappy school like SJ. He is just as likely to break his leg in the D league as in the BE. There is no right answer. College is overrated and most people are too stupid to learn anyway. Increasingly I find the examined life is not worth living all together and all of it is shit. If that's the case, why not bounce a ball and bang some milk fed Montana cheerleaders and take advantage of the  $40 per diem. Maybe he hates school. Maybe he hates Lavin. Maybe he hates red and antediluvian sweater mythology. Maybe he hates redman dot com. Maybe he's doing what he wants. Maybe he's happy. Maybe all in all he'd rather be in Philadelphia. Maybe you're projecting your expectations onto a kid who doesn't share them, or maybe your prejudices. Maybe I maybe am. There's lots of maybes, which maybe he is in the best position to analyze, because maybe it's his life.

You all say he stinks in one breath and in the other that one more year of seasoning and he'll play himself into a lottery pick. None of this scans.  It's like he raped a nun or something.

Taking a salary of 20-25K, of which you'll take home 14K means that you're living either right around, or under the poverty line in place of essentially making 120K a year, which isn't bad for any 21 year old kid. STJ might be a crappy school. (I don't think it's so bad) But at that price, I'd agree with you. Still, it beats the hell out of no degree at all.

And again, I'm not suggesting that with one more year he'd get drafted. I don't think he's ever getting drafted, or making the league.
Choosing the NBDL over Europe or college is where I see the error in judgement. If it's money he wants, then go to Europe and make it.

The D league schedule is 50 games in < 6 months. At 25 K plus housing, benefits and per diem it's a well paying part time job.

Where exactly can Jakarr afford to live in the off season?

Foad

« Reply #301 on: July 10, 2014, 06:50:50 AM »

There is currently a one bedroom apartment for rent at 300 Longleaf Drive in Auburn Alabama for $370 per month. The complex offers AC, high speed internet, a weight room, a pool, washer dryer and even a basketball court. He could live there. Or if he prefers something a little more cosmopolitan, there's a 1 bedroom one and a half bath in Jonesboro Arkansas for $485.

Having settled that burning question, and to the extent that your response is not completely absurd non-sequitur:

Is there a rule that says Sampson can't play BB for money while the D League isn't playing? Or that he couldn't get a job at Target or something? Or an internship working for best friend Max Hooper's billionaire father? Maybe he could sell steaks door to door? Do we know what Jakarr's net worth is? Has he inherited money from a rich grandmother? Has he hit the pick 6 at Delmar? Is he a stakes level domino player? Is he a a scratch golfer? Does he have a comic book collection he could sell on Ebay? Maybe he could augment his income by selling his sperm? How's his blood work, clean I hope.

Also, where does Jakarr live currently in your fantasy world where the tax liability on 25K is 11 K, since you say that he'd take home 14 K of that money. That's a tax rate of, carry the one, nearly 50 percent, on what you call a "poverty wage", which leads me to believe he lives in Belgium. because here in the good ole US he'd take home 23K of that, give or take. How much are apartments in Waterloo? Does Jakarr even speak Walloon? Do they allow pets? How much is the security deposit? Is it month to month? Does he like waffles? Probably I'll need more facts before I sort out completely Jakarr's off season living situation. For the meanwhile he can crash in my barn, like James Dalton in Roadhouse. There's a fox sleeps out there on and off but mostly he's harmless once you get past the smell and besides, pain don't hurt.

« Reply #302 on: July 10, 2014, 09:52:12 AM »
^^ CLASSIC !!! ^^

Poison

« Reply #303 on: July 10, 2014, 03:46:43 PM »

There is currently a one bedroom apartment for rent at 300 Longleaf Drive in Auburn Alabama for $370 per month. The complex offers AC, high speed internet, a weight room, a pool, washer dryer and even a basketball court. He could live there. Or if he prefers something a little more cosmopolitan, there's a 1 bedroom one and a half bath in Jonesboro Arkansas for $485.

Having settled that burning question, and to the extent that your response is not completely absurd non-sequitur:

Is there a rule that says Sampson can't play BB for money while the D League isn't playing? Or that he couldn't get a job at Target or something? Or an internship working for best friend Max Hooper's billionaire father? Maybe he could sell steaks door to door? Do we know what Jakarr's net worth is? Has he inherited money from a rich grandmother? Has he hit the pick 6 at Delmar? Is he a stakes level domino player? Is he a a scratch golfer? Does he have a comic book collection he could sell on Ebay? Maybe he could augment his income by selling his sperm? How's his blood work, clean I hope.

Also, where does Jakarr live currently in your fantasy world where the tax liability on 25K is 11 K, since you say that he'd take home 14 K of that money. That's a tax rate of, carry the one, nearly 50 percent, on what you call a "poverty wage", which leads me to believe he lives in Belgium. because here in the good ole US he'd take home 23K of that, give or take. How much are apartments in Waterloo? Does Jakarr even speak Walloon? Do they allow pets? How much is the security deposit? Is it month to month? Does he like waffles? Probably I'll need more facts before I sort out completely Jakarr's off season living situation. For the meanwhile he can crash in my barn, like James Dalton in Roadhouse. There's a fox sleeps out there on and off but mostly he's harmless once you get past the smell and besides, pain don't hurt.

Auburn, Alabama. Sounds great.

Foad

« Reply #304 on: July 10, 2014, 04:20:37 PM »

Right, as opposed to the paradise on earth that's Maspeth. I kid of course. I get it. You're super cool because you live on Long Island and everyone who doesn't is a rube. Braving the traffic on the LIE and the long lines at the Dairy Barn drive through before trekking out to cultural attractions like the Flanders Duck and then maybe a nosh at Nathan's or Carvel after. It's so very tres chic. How could Alabama measure up to that.

LJSA

« Reply #305 on: July 11, 2014, 01:07:05 AM »
When the duck moved to its current location, hundreds of people lined the streets of Flanders at 3 a.m. chanting "We want the duck!"

« Reply #306 on: July 11, 2014, 03:51:18 PM »

At the end of the day, the kid made a decision that he feels is good for him...the fact that he may not make a lot of money immediately is no different than a student taking a low pay/no pay internship...he's learning on the job...and can focus 100% on his dream...

not saying that he would not have benefited by staying...nor am I saying the converse...no one knows...

some seem to revel in one or two less than stellar summer league performances...I am sure kid is feeling pressure to make good on expectations...

let's just wish him the best..,he played well for us and seems to be a good kid

Marillac

« Reply #307 on: July 17, 2014, 06:03:37 PM »
This simply came down to him playing PF at college v. playing his future pro position immediately.  How much better was he going to get at SJU as a PF? 

« Reply #308 on: July 17, 2014, 10:30:55 PM »

Right, as opposed to the paradise on earth that's Maspeth. I kid of course. I get it. You're super cool because you live on Long Island and everyone who doesn't is a rube. Braving the traffic on the LIE and the long lines at the Dairy Barn drive through

I worked at Dairy Barn in high school and college. Selling beer to underage chicks was great for my social life since it's not like I was making enough money to be buying dinners back then  :)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 10:31:19 PM by mjmaherjr »