Keith Thomas - F - Westchester CC - ST JOHN'S

• 385 replies

paultzman

Re: Keith Thomas - F - Westchester CC - ST JOHN'S
« Reply #140 on: April 21, 2014, 07:53:19 AM »
If given the choice, I'd play ADR before Thomas.   

Have to disagree on that Desco. ADR is not ready for prime time.  In talking to Moose, he compares Thomas to Dustin Hogue of Iowa State in terms of his Juco background, rebounding ability, blue collar play & team first attitude. To boot, both  hail from Westchester. Few knew who Hogue was prior to coming to Ames, but he has had a positive impact at ISU for sure. To be fair, Hogue was more highly ranked (30) than Honorable Mention AA Thomas. Secondly, Hogue has developed into a competent outside shooter. Lastly, Thomas is a bit taller. The key points of comparison, however, are unselfish play & tenacious rebounding. We need that.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/66148/dustin-hogue
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 08:06:18 AM by paultzman »

Marillac

« Reply #141 on: April 21, 2014, 12:03:52 PM »
I don't see it.  I watched parts of 3 different games, and I can't see what you guys are so excited about.    He's a good rebounder, but aside from that I'm not impressed at all.   Below average defensively.  No range.  Not quick.  Can't handle.   And at the D1 level his size advantage will be mitigated.
If he's supposed to replace Sampson, we're going to be very disappointed. 

He's not quick or explosive.  It also doesn't show how he is on defense,but he's already way stronger than Sampson and his rebounding is superior. I'd also venture to say his offensive game near the rim will be much better.  He may not give us the 2-3 dunks per game, but I really like the efficiency to his game on offense based on the videos...no wasted movement, no excess dribbling, not trying to be something he's not. 

I'd imagine base on his rebounding #s and the quotes about his work ethic and mindset that he'd buy into defense and the little things like screening in a way that Sampson never could. 

paultzman

« Reply #142 on: April 21, 2014, 04:28:44 PM »
@AdamZagoria: JUCO F Keith Thomas is currently on his official to #sjubb. Goes to USF Wednesday

« Reply #143 on: April 21, 2014, 06:09:13 PM »

Gotta think Lav took Keith to the Garden and brought Rysheed with him!

paultzman

« Reply #144 on: April 21, 2014, 09:32:17 PM »
@NYPost_Brazille: Competition heating up for Westchester CC's Keith Thomas. Scheduled visit to Miami May 1-2, per coach Tyrone Mushatt #sjubb

MCNPA

« Reply #145 on: April 22, 2014, 10:39:16 AM »
We need to get this done and land him...

« Reply #146 on: April 22, 2014, 10:48:41 AM »
It’s not the end of the world if it drags out a little bit.

mkras99

« Reply #147 on: April 22, 2014, 10:55:52 AM »
As long as we end up getting him and not losing out on someone else because we were waiting.

MCNPA

« Reply #148 on: April 22, 2014, 11:18:36 AM »
As long as we end up getting him and not losing out on someone else because we were waiting.

Well we waited until spring for no apparent reason anyway.  Had we recruited 2 forwards back in the fall, there were dozens more good ones still on the table.  Now we sweat it out I guess.  I still want to see Thomas and Cunningham here. 

pmg911

« Reply #149 on: April 22, 2014, 11:19:30 AM »

Well we waited until spring for no apparent reason anyway.  Had we recruited 2 forwards back in the fall, there were dozens more good ones still on the table.  Now we sweat it out I guess.  I still want to see Thomas and Cunningham here. 

They  did recruit people, just didn't land them

MCNPA

« Reply #150 on: April 22, 2014, 11:49:29 AM »

We didn't recruit many forwards in this class?  Like who?  Delgado for a day?  We didn't push for Larrier at all.  Knowing our potential losses, we should have pushed harder on more kids and earlier this year.  There's no doubt in my mind.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 11:50:57 AM by MCNPA »

« Reply #151 on: April 22, 2014, 12:16:24 PM »

We didn't recruit many forwards in this class?  Like who?  Delgado for a day?  We didn't push for Larrier at all.  Knowing our potential losses, we should have pushed harder on more kids and earlier this year.  There's no doubt in my mind.

It's been Lavin's MO to only recruit a few players that he thinks he can land. Might not be the best approach in our minds but it appears to work for him.

It has been said that he has recruited ADR, Cunningham and IW the hardest with 3 scholarships to give at the time. It was reported that IW was ready to sign before the Tiny deal, he landed ADR and might be close with Cunningham.

Thomas has been on their radar for awhile now and I'm hoping they have been recruiting another shooter.

I would love for them to land a transfer that could sit a year and be good to go in 2015.

I have no idea how hard or how lazy the staff has been this past recruiting cycle. I do feel that things will somehow work out with a few signings next week.

paultzman

« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 06:42:22 PM by paultzman »

« Reply #153 on: April 22, 2014, 07:01:27 PM »
I have no idea if this kid is good or not, but I really want him because everything people say about him is exactly what this team needs:

"“He sticks to what he does well,” he said. “He’s not a kid tries to do stuff he can’t do. That’s what makes him so good. Rebounding is just a natural thing for him. He can score as well too, but he’s OK passing the ball. His thing is, as long as we’re winning, I’m OK, I’m going to do my part.”"

If it said "expert x and o's tactician" I'd be in Westchester with the briefcase.

« Reply #154 on: April 22, 2014, 11:20:06 PM »
Seems we are in great shape;

http://zagsblog.com/articles/keith-thomas-enjoys-st-johns-visit-others-coming-mclean-visiting-oklahoma/
After reading the quotes in this article now have to question the kid's basketball IQ (Lavin's a genius).  :) Disclaimer: this attempt at a little humor does not come with the approval of Boo.  :(

« Reply #155 on: April 23, 2014, 11:37:18 AM »
Seems we are in great shape;

http://zagsblog.com/articles/keith-thomas-enjoys-st-johns-visit-others-coming-mclean-visiting-oklahoma/
After reading the quotes in this article now have to question the kid's basketball IQ (Lavin's a genius).  :) Disclaimer: this attempt at a little humor does not come with the approval of Boo.  :(

Maybe Lavin told him he'd be the second coming of Karl Malone.  Genius!

SJU79

« Reply #156 on: April 25, 2014, 09:04:46 AM »
1) Thomas is a really good player and will be a nice piece. Im a big fan
2) Jones stinks...no loss
3) Cunningham has a lot of upside...staff really likes him
4) Briscoe is obviously a complete stud. Worry more about SMU than Louisville
5) Diallo is a man and he has no clues where he's going so dont believe  otherwise but he and Briscoe are both VERY high on SJU

mkras99

« Reply #157 on: April 25, 2014, 09:44:14 AM »
5) Diallo is a man and he has no clues where he's going so dont believe  otherwise but he and Briscoe are both VERY high on SJU

Welcome back '79.  Anyone other than Thomas and Cunningham in play for 2014 (shooter, transfer, etc.)?  Thanks again.

ras

« Reply #158 on: April 25, 2014, 09:51:21 AM »
. How are our chances w Thomas?

Poison

« Reply #159 on: April 25, 2014, 10:00:05 AM »
Really, how good is this kid? Westchester Community College?