Marlon Jones-PF-Orr Chicago, IL - LOYOLA

• 105 replies

Poison

Re: Marlon Jones-PF-Orr Chicago, IL
« Reply #80 on: April 14, 2014, 09:47:46 AM »
There is another scenario for why we ae not chasing transfers. They may be leaving their teams because of the same me first, ego, and entourage issues that haunted our team this year. There may be concerns, legitimate I would say, that we would just be adding a new troublemaker to the locker room. Better to seek hungry kids who are seeking to improve, and not just seeking a platform to showcase for a season for NBA scouts.
Good point. The Michigan transfer Horford is one for ten shooting the 3 and he was quoted as saying he wants to go to a school where the coach will let him expand his game and shoot the 3. Until reading that I wanted him but after hell no. Who wants a one year player that wants to play to his weaknesses just to impress the pro scouts.

We just had that with Sampson. But just because he wasn't allowed to shoot the 3, doesn't mean he can't do it. Donald Emanuel and
Lamont Hamilton were good 3 point shooters for us. But it didn't happen overnight.

« Reply #81 on: April 16, 2014, 09:34:18 PM »
He should be on campus on Friday.

Marillac

« Reply #82 on: April 16, 2014, 11:43:14 PM »
There is another scenario for why we ae not chasing transfers. They may be leaving their teams because of the same me first, ego, and entourage issues that haunted our team this year. There may be concerns, legitimate I would say, that we would just be adding a new troublemaker to the locker room. Better to seek hungry kids who are seeking to improve, and not just seeking a platform to showcase for a season for NBA scouts.
Good point. The Michigan transfer Horford is one for ten shooting the 3 and he was quoted as saying he wants to go to a school where the coach will let him expand his game and shoot the 3. Until reading that I wanted him but after hell no. Who wants a one year player that wants to play to his weaknesses just to impress the pro scouts.

He hits the glass...better rebounds per minute than anyone we had on a team with 3-4 other guys on the court with him being 6'6. 
FWIW, his outside shot is actually pretty decent looking.  I don't have a problem with a big taking a three here an there in the right situation--shot clock running down, wide open and not in a close game.  They have to earn that first. 

I really don't want this Marlon Jones kid. 

« Reply #83 on: April 17, 2014, 06:49:23 AM »

He hits the glass...better rebounds per minute than anyone we had on a team with 3-4 other guys on the court with him being 6'6. 
FWIW, his outside shot is actually pretty decent looking.  I don't have a problem with a big taking a three here an there in the right situation--shot clock running down, wide open and not in a close game.  They have to earn that first. 

Id take him but only after we know we wont get either Thomas or Horford.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #84 on: April 17, 2014, 02:44:38 PM »

This kid and Thomas would make great front court bookends.  We'd be very lucky to grab them at this point.  I'd take either over Chris Jones based on the videos. and what we've seen so far.  You can't have too many 6'8 leapers who score and board..

ras

« Reply #85 on: April 17, 2014, 03:00:55 PM »
As time goes on he will only add weight and improve. Who knows maybe he ll even grow an inch or 2, Always nice to have some 4 year players.

Marillac

« Reply #86 on: April 17, 2014, 03:33:38 PM »

This kid and Thomas would make great front court bookends.  We'd be very lucky to grab them at this point.  I'd take either over Chris Jones based on the videos. and what we've seen so far.  You can't have too many 6'8 leapers who score and board..

Where are people seeing this leaping ability?  I think they just see a skinny 6'8 kid with dreads and assume he can jump.  Maybe he can, but he doesn't have a single impressive leap in either highlight video.  If anything he looks like he has a limited vertical.  Regardless...pass.

bk8664

« Reply #87 on: April 17, 2014, 05:10:03 PM »

Where are people seeing this leaping ability?  I think they just see a skinny 6'8 kid with dreads and assume he can jump.  Maybe he can, but he doesn't have a single impressive leap in either highlight video.  If anything he looks like he has a limited vertical.  Regardless...pass.

Respectfully, It's not necessarily all about leaping... it's about timing and length.  Maybe he has long arms.  When I saw the video, his tips of his fingers were near the middle of the back-board.  If his timing isn't bad, his rebounding and blocking could be fine - especially in our water-downed Big East.   He certainly would be a hella of a better free throw shooter than some front court options we had this past year.

I have no idea what his game is like - if he a great player or a lousy one, but I'm pretty sure being effective down-low is not just all about leaping...

Just ask Anthony Glover.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 05:10:41 PM by bk8664 »

Marillac

« Reply #88 on: April 17, 2014, 05:45:15 PM »

Respectfully, It's not necessarily all about leaping... it's about timing and length.  Maybe he has long arms.  When I saw the video, his tips of his fingers were near the middle of the back-board.  If his timing isn't bad, his rebounding and blocking could be fine - especially in our water-downed Big East.   He certainly would be a hella of a better free throw shooter than some front court options we had this past year.

I have no idea what his game is like - if he a great player or a lousy one, but I'm pretty sure being effective down-low is not just all about leaping...

Just ask Anthony Glover.

I agree with that last statement.  In no way do I think leaping is that important.  It's a nice bonus.  Thomas doesn't seem to be a great leaper, but I am all for getting him. I am just commenting to al the posters that say this kid can leap.  Where do they see that?

This kid, I see as a C-USA type guy.  He could decelop into kid we could use...but I'd so much rather have Thomas.

boo3

« Reply #89 on: April 17, 2014, 05:47:35 PM »
I think we get Thomas for sure. 

ras

« Reply #90 on: April 17, 2014, 07:10:53 PM »
What makes you say that? 

desco80

« Reply #91 on: April 18, 2014, 01:34:58 PM »
Adam Zagoria ‏@AdamZagoria  1m
Chicago F Marlon Jones won't visit #sjubb, source tells @SNYtv

« Reply #92 on: April 18, 2014, 01:43:43 PM »

Interesting

« Reply #93 on: April 18, 2014, 02:16:37 PM »

Interesting

Doesn't mean he won't commit. Perhaps he feels he doesn't need to visit. I just have a hard time believing we would get his teammate but not him. It's either we get both or neither, in my opinion.

paultzman

« Reply #94 on: April 18, 2014, 02:31:16 PM »
@NYPost_Brazille: Chicago forward Marlon Jones still expected to visit St. John's, just not this weekend. #sjubb

« Reply #95 on: April 19, 2014, 01:34:37 PM »

After watching a string of dunks without the traditional SJU type missed layups I'd take him in a heartbeat.  He seems very efficient as opposed to a random leaper.  We've had enough track stars who couldn't score in traffic.  Thomas' numbers say it all and Jones would complement him IMO quite well.  Certainly there was nothing in the clips that would dissuade me.  Lavin dumped Ron Roberts because he wasn't a super leaper but we sure could have used him as we were being out-boarded by the Sisters of the Poor all year. Let's put away the tape measures and focus on basketball players.from here on.

« Reply #96 on: April 19, 2014, 02:30:35 PM »
Watching Roberts this season he developed into quite a leaper with some amazing dunks-announcers were always saying he constantly amazes his teammates especially in practice with his acrobatic dunks. As for jones I also like him and what I like best about him is he seems very active in all aspects of the game. Would not mind signing him at all and his guard teammate would seem like a good get also in the future.

« Reply #97 on: April 22, 2014, 09:00:55 PM »
Just picked up an offer from Miami:

Verbal Commits ‏@VerbalCommits  · 7h 
2014 Orr Academy (IL) F Marlon Jones has received an offer from Miami. (HT @D1Circuit) @24_pookie http://verbalcommits.com/players/marlon-jones

« Reply #98 on: April 25, 2014, 02:27:19 AM »
Looks like he picked Loyola Chicago.

Foad

« Reply #99 on: April 25, 2014, 07:22:26 AM »
Looks like he picked Loyola Chicago.

I just have a hard time believing that. Probably what happened was that the kid begged Lavin to let him come to SJU and Lavin said no and then the kid lost his will to live and randomly picked Loyola. He was only 6'2" anyway and a pussy. Next.