Lavin's Recruiting strategy

• 60 replies

desco80

Re: Lavin's Recruiting strategy
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2014, 09:24:07 PM »
His recruiting is good. He is coaching style is to let has to be let his bench coach coach the team. Hopefully whitesel is up to it. Another year like last year he is fired and he knows it

If you think SJU is fing a guy who goes 10-8 and wins 20 games and is a Bubble team then you are 100% wrong.  ZERO chance.  No way. 

Don't get me wrong that would be a disappointment no doubt, this year they definitely should be a NCAA team.  Other than Nova no one has more returning talent in the BE than SJU and add Thomas as a rebounder and a healthy and happy Jordan they should be good, potentially real good.

But SJU is not firing a coach for a being a "disappointment."  He would have a to be a complete disaster, meaning losing record overall that type of thing.

You guys are confusing disappointing with disaster.  Last year was not viewed by anyone at SJU as a complete disaster despite how they finished.

Then why doesn'the he have an extension?

You may disagree but you know full well that there are people around the program who have soured on Lavin.  not just the benevolent benefactor.   
A repeat of last season and there's a very good chance he doesn't return. 

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2014, 10:33:28 PM »
His recruiting is good. He is coaching style is to let has to be let his bench coach coach the team. Hopefully whitesel is up to it. Another year like last year he is fired and he knows it

If you think SJU is fing a guy who goes 10-8 and wins 20 games and is a Bubble team then you are 100% wrong.  ZERO chance.  No way. 

Don't get me wrong that would be a disappointment no doubt, this year they definitely should be a NCAA team.  Other than Nova no one has more returning talent in the BE than SJU and add Thomas as a rebounder and a healthy and happy Jordan they should be good, potentially real good.

But SJU is not firing a coach for a being a "disappointment."  He would have a to be a complete disaster, meaning losing record overall that type of thing.

You guys are confusing disappointing with disaster.  Last year was not viewed by anyone at SJU as a complete disaster despite how they finished.

You may disagree but you know full well that there are people around the program who have soured on Lavin.  not just the benevolent benefactor.   

You have no idea what you are talking about and you never have.

You are 100% clueless about his extension.

Zero.  You know nothing.  The baseless speculation by people who have zero to do with Coach's future is beyond funny.

My favorite is when people were convinced Roberts was gone after year 4 and not only was he not fired but he was given a rollover extension and both Harrington abd Monasch talked openly about how THRILLED they were he was their coach.

Like I said ZERO clue.  Here is a piece of advice if most people are convinced something is going to happen specifically Coach being fired bet the opposite is true.  And no I don't care what you think because it is laughable to hear people tell me what I don't know and then proceed to speculate on what might happen...

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2014, 01:26:36 PM »
Hopefully they have learned from the Robert's error and if Lavin continues to underachieve they won't wait that long this time. Hopefully we don't ever have to find out and Lavin makes the T and has a big recruiting year as many of you are predicting.

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2014, 06:58:52 PM »
I don't think anyone is going to verbal/sign until the Spring. The recruits have to wait and see if Lavin wins and there is a formal announcement of an extension. He isn't that hard to recruit against this season. Why commit to a coach who may not even be there and has sent all of one guy {Harkless} to the NBA?

Recruits have to wait and see if Lavin wins and is going to be here. The Dunlap coached team of Norm holdovers were a good fundamental team. Lavin really misses him.

paultzman

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2014, 01:36:09 PM »

Interview summary from last week;
 https://creighton.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1671403

Marillac

« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2014, 06:30:16 PM »
Lavin's seat isn't even warm yet. Whether it should or shouldn't be is a different matter.  Norm was awful and he was here for 40 years--or at least it felt like it.  This isn't exactly UCLA.

« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2014, 09:23:31 PM »
Steve's  record at SJU is pretty ho hum
71–60 (.542) overall
36–36 (.500) in conference.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2014, 11:52:06 PM »

71–60 (.542) overall
71–60 (.542) overall
71–60 (.542) overall

That's still better the. The past two coaches and he is probably the best coach since Louie...Man it has been painful...
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2014, 01:21:50 PM »
It's amazing we're all still fans.  ;)

paultzman

« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2014, 01:50:02 PM »
It's amazing we're all still fans.  ;)

With shortened life spans.

cjfish

« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2014, 03:04:47 PM »

Zero.  You know nothing.  The baseless speculation by people who have zero to do with Coach's future is beyond funny.

My favorite is when people were convinced Roberts was gone after year 4 and not only was he not fired but he was given a rollover extension and both Harrington abd Monasch talked openly about how THRILLED they were he was their coach.

Like I said ZERO clue.  Here is a piece of advice if most people are convinced something is going to happen specifically Coach being fired bet the opposite is true.  And no I don't care what you think because it is laughable to hear people tell me what I don't know and then proceed to speculate on what might happen...

Roberts was exactly what was needed at the time. He is a straight arrow and ran a clean program.  After the strip club fiasco the program was dismal, no kid wanted to go there.  Roberts had to recruit  third tier players and his  teams slowly improved.  SJU had little to offer in those years, Im sure kids looked at the club incident and it was brought up by other schools as a reason to not go to SJU.  Who kicks off most of the team for an incident that had no basis (striper allegation quickly proved false) and really amounted to 20 year olds acting 20.  Top kids were terrified of SJU because of this.  Roberts did a great job bringing the reputation of the program back and left a solid team for Dunlap and Lavin to take credit for.  He taught those kids for 3 years, does anyone really think they learned to play together in a few months under the new coaches.  Criticism of Roberts is unfounded.   

« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2014, 03:13:46 PM »

Roberts was exactly what was needed at the time. He is a straight arrow and ran a clean program.  After the strip club fiasco the program was dismal, no kid wanted to go there.  Roberts had to recruit  third tier players and his  teams slowly improved.  SJU had little to offer in those years, Im sure kids looked at the club incident and it was brought up by other schools as a reason to not go to SJU.  Who kicks off most of the team for an incident that had no basis (striper allegation quickly proved false) and really amounted to 20 year olds acting 20.  Top kids were terrified of SJU because of this.  Roberts did a great job bringing the reputation of the program back and left a solid team for Dunlap and Lavin to take credit for.  He taught those kids for 3 years, does anyone really think they learned to play together in a few months under the new coaches.  Criticism of Roberts is unfounded.   

You had me up until the last few sentences. Yes I think those kids learned how to play together, it didnt happen right when lavin and dunlap got to them, it happened half way through that year. Norm got us some respect back, he cleaned our image, he recruited good kids but he didnt know how to use them (larry wright, dwight hardy, Brownlee, ect.). There was plenty to criticize him for.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

SJUFAN

« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2014, 03:45:18 PM »
Roberts was exactly what was needed at the time. He is a straight arrow and ran a clean program.  After the strip club fiasco the program was dismal, no kid wanted to go there.  Roberts had to recruit  third tier players and his  teams slowly improved.  SJU had little to offer in those years, Im sure kids looked at the club incident and it was brought up by other schools as a reason to not go to SJU.  Criticism of Roberts is unfounded.   

Lets get this straight, the position of the program had zero to do with Roberts recruiting third tier players. It had to do with Roberts, period. You think the fact that prior players went to a strip club is a reason a recruit wouldn't want to come to the school? That couldn't be further from the truth. Many young males go to strip clubs, so what. Baylor had players murdering each other and that didn't stop them from bringing in top recruits. If we could have hired a Cal, Pitino, etc we would have had a top 5 recruiting class in two years. Pitino got Jamaal Mashburn to sign with Ketucky while they were on probation! Its the coach that brings in the players, Little to offer????? NYC, MSG, minutes, best conference in college basketball. Roberts had so much to offer recruits his first couple of years, he just couldn't close.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 03:49:52 PM by SJUFAN »

Poison

« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2014, 03:49:32 PM »

Roberts was a disease far worse than anything Mike Jarvis, or any one person ever did to SJU. And yes, I really think that the coaching staff taught Norm's recruits to play in the few months they had before BE play began. We saw it with our own eyes. The staff found a way to undo the damage Norm did in 3 years.

Without question, Norm Roberts is the worst thing that ever happened to STJ basketball.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 03:53:07 PM by Poison »

Foad

« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2014, 03:49:53 PM »
Roberts was exactly what was needed at the time. He is a straight arrow and ran a clean program.  After the strip club fiasco the program was dismal, no kid wanted to go there.  Roberts had to recruit  third tier players and his  teams slowly improved.  SJU had little to offer in those years, Im sure kids looked at the club incident and it was brought up by other schools as a reason to not go to SJU.  Criticism of Roberts is unfounded.   

Lets get this straight, the position of the program had zero to do with Roberts recruiting third tier players. It had to do with Roberts, period. You think the fact that prior players went to a strip club is a reason a recruit wouldn't want to come to the school? That couldn't be further from the truth. Many young males go to strip clubs, so what. Baylor had players murdering each other and that didn't stop them from bringing in top recruits. If we could have hired a Cal, Pitino, etc we would have had a top 5 recruiting class in two years. Pitino got Jamaal Mashburn to sign with Ketucky while they were on probation! Its the coach that brings in the players, Roberts had so much to offer recruits his first couple of years, he just couldn't close.

Baylor and Kentucky pay their players. If Roberts had had their budgets he'd have recruited better.

« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2014, 03:52:33 PM »

You had me up until the last few sentences. Yes I think those kids learned how to play together, it didnt happen right when lavin and dunlap got to them, it happened half way through that year. Norm got us some respect back, he cleaned our image, he recruited good kids but he didnt know how to use them (larry wright, dwight hardy, Brownlee, ect.). There was plenty to criticize him for.

The last few years have proven Dunlaps worth

SJUFAN

« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2014, 03:52:59 PM »
Roberts was a disease far worse than anything Mike Jarvis, or any one person ever did to SJU.

I wouldn't go that far now, Jarvis was the root cause of the programs demise. We shouldn't ever speak his name again.
Just refer to him as he who shall remain nameless.

Johnny23

« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2014, 03:53:56 PM »
Jarvis single-handedly ran this program into the ground. He took all of the good work that Fraschilla did in and obliterated it. He had that pompous attitude and all the city coaches said they never saw him at any of their games. He took a program that was almost always relevant and made them irrelevant.

Poison

« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2014, 03:54:52 PM »
Roberts was a disease far worse than anything Mike Jarvis, or any one person ever did to SJU.

I wouldn't go that far now, Jarvis was the root cause of the programs demise. We shouldn't ever speak his name again.
Just refer to him as he who shall remain nameless.

Bullshit he was. He coached them to an elite 8, and to a BE tournament championship. He certainly imploded, because he couldn't handle that you have to kiss the asses of these punk 17 year olds. That's part of the job. He didn't care, and that's why he's no longer coaching.

Poison

« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2014, 03:58:06 PM »
Jarvis single-handedly ran this program into the ground. He took all of the good work that Fraschilla did in and obliterated it. He had that pompous attitude and all the city coaches said they never saw him at any of their games. He took a program that was almost always relevant and made them irrelevant.

Actually, Father Harrington ran this program into the ground when he expelled 3 players for doing what schools like Kentucky and Uconn consider to be just a typical night out.

Under Mike Jarvis, how many post season tournaments did STJ make? I count 3. The NCAAs 3 times. One year, they went 8-8, and didn't make the post season. That's only because he scheduled a real non conference schedule. Say what you want about his personality, or his recruiting, but he coached STJ to more post season success than anyone since Lou C. And it's not even close.