Temple Gibbs - PG - Seton Hall Prep - NOTRE DAME

• 76 replies

Wods317

Re: Temple Gibbs - PG - Seton Hall Prep - NOTRE DAME
« Reply #60 on: May 05, 2015, 09:29:27 AM »
Wods317, see link below:

“They’re at the top,” he said. “I would definitely consider them. They’re far enough away from home but they’re still close enough where I could get back in one day. They’re definitely at the top.”

http://zagsblog.com/st-johns/t-j-gibbs-says-st-johns-at-top-of-list-after-offer-will-visit-rutgers-providence/

That was under a completely different staff though. The kid had zero relationship with our new staff. Mostly anything the old staff did gets thrown out the window. Look at Sampson, Doughty etc. Not saying we wouldn't have had a shot here but him enjoying his visit 6 months ago didn't mean much in long run, we haven't been mentioned with him much for a while.

wpc77

« Reply #61 on: May 05, 2015, 10:01:47 AM »
Wods317, see link below:

“They’re at the top,” he said. “I would definitely consider them. They’re far enough away from home but they’re still close enough where I could get back in one day. They’re definitely at the top.”

http://zagsblog.com/st-johns/t-j-gibbs-says-st-johns-at-top-of-list-after-offer-will-visit-rutgers-providence/

That was under a completely different staff though. The kid had zero relationship with our new staff. Mostly anything the old staff did gets thrown out the window. Look at Sampson, Doughty etc. Not saying we wouldn't have had a shot here but him enjoying his visit 6 months ago didn't mean much in long run, we haven't been mentioned with him much for a while.

Agreed; losing out on kids who have been recruited by different staffs for years is nothing to crow about.  Mullin has had a bit over a month. 

Losing out on a 2017 kid at this time next year is another thing.

« Reply #62 on: May 05, 2015, 10:07:50 AM »
Two things:

1)The previous staff was in tight with TJ for awhile especially when they were very much involved with Briscoe.  It had definitely faded in the last few months prior to the new staff.  In fact the BE school seemingly closest to him recently was Providence.

2)Assuming SJU lands Heron getting TJ was not going to be an option anyway.  No way he comes with Heron likely to come as well.

QuanMan

« Reply #63 on: May 05, 2015, 10:12:57 AM »
Agreed, there was nothing this staff could have done, its just unfortunate that they weren't given the time to get involved. Larrier, Yawkwe, Heron, Shamorie, Diallo 2016 and Diarra, Sid Wilson 2017 are the early prime NYC targets IMO. I'd really like to extend an offer to Travis Aston too, but he'll likely settle for a go to role on a high mid major.
Section 3
Section 116

paultzman

« Reply #64 on: May 05, 2015, 10:59:48 AM »
Agreed, there was nothing this staff could have done, its just unfortunate that they weren't given the time to get involved. Larrier, Yawkwe, Heron, Shamorie, Diallo 2016 and Diarra, Sid Wilson 2017 are the early prime NYC targets IMO. I'd really like to extend an offer to Travis Aston too, but he'll likely settle for a go to role on a high mid major.

I heard staff is not seriously pursuing Shamorie.

« Reply #65 on: May 05, 2015, 11:11:11 AM »

I heard staff is not seriously pursuing Shamorie.

Got to think the staff is confident elsewhere

QuanMan

« Reply #66 on: May 05, 2015, 11:13:55 AM »
Thanks Paultz, Salnave and Ponds are two kids who's names are only going to grow with time within the local circuit. 
Section 3
Section 116

Moose

« Reply #67 on: May 05, 2015, 01:42:17 PM »
Thanks Paultz, Salnave and Ponds are two kids who's names are only going to grow with time within the local circuit. 

So does that mean we should go after them more because they are local kids?
Remember who broke the Slice news

QuanMan

« Reply #68 on: May 05, 2015, 02:50:24 PM »
Not if we're capable of recruiting better guards nationally and internationally, but these two are going to run the PSAL over the next year.
Section 3
Section 116

MCNPA

« Reply #69 on: May 05, 2015, 02:52:44 PM »
If there's a reason staff isn't interested in Ponds, there's a reason.  I trust the staff knows what they're doing.

« Reply #70 on: May 05, 2015, 03:14:57 PM »

Yes, unless Mullin's interview was just lip service to the local HS in the area.

Moose

« Reply #71 on: May 05, 2015, 03:24:28 PM »

Yes, unless Mullin's interview was just lip service to the local HS in the area.

Not what I was getting at.
We looked we kicked tires great.
But should we go after them when meanwhile Heron is better.

Just don't bow down to NY kid just because he's a NY kid.

« Reply #72 on: May 05, 2015, 03:33:28 PM »

Yup I agree with you. I don't care where they come from.

« Reply #73 on: May 05, 2015, 04:20:54 PM »

Yup I agree with you. I don't care where they come from.

Concur with you and Moose.

MCNPA

« Reply #74 on: May 05, 2015, 04:22:53 PM »
I think the lack of interest in Ponds is that he's an undersized shooting guard.  I don't think Mullin and staff have interest in shooting guards at his height and he hasn't shown any real PG instincts.  Couple that with the fact that we are close with Heron who is an absolute monster SG and it makes sense.

Moose

« Reply #75 on: May 05, 2015, 06:12:16 PM »
I think the lack of interest in Ponds is that he's an undersized shooting guard.  I don't think Mullin and staff have interest in shooting guards at his height and he hasn't shown any real PG instincts.  Couple that with the fact that we are close with Heron who is an absolute monster SG and it makes sense.

Agree
Just don't want to hear the usual suspects crying that a recruit so close to home we aren't really pursuing.

« Reply #76 on: May 05, 2015, 06:24:47 PM »
Thought Ponds was a point. Video I saw looked like a scoring point. Heron definitly looks like a two. I too trust staff on recruiting so fell confident we will end up with talented players at every position.