What are our current players doing this summer?

• 23 replies

Poison

What are our current players doing this summer?
« on: July 10, 2014, 10:31:10 AM »
Keith Thomas - Is he going to face some real competition before we play St.Joe's?
Myles Stewart - Is he playing competitive ball this summer?
Adonis Delarosa - We know he's at Rucker. He'll sweat. We know that. Time for the young man to take his health more seriously.
Joey Delarosa - Based on his numbers at FI, I can't how anyone in their right mind could expect more than 1 point and 1 rebound per game.

What about the returnees?

Phil Greene - His 3 point shot became something we could count on last year. Good for him. I think it's become his best skill.
Dom Pointer - Man, if he could only calm down, and play his game. He's a great disrupter on defense, and athletic enough to always go strong to the hole. Hope he puts some of that together. Such talent. But he's so all over the place.
Harrison - Just keep working. What's he doing this summer?
Jordan - Sky is the limit. Go to the hole.
Jones - Hasn't played in a year. I hope he realizes how important he is. We need him to not only contribute, but get enough experience to be a main contributor in two year. It's asking a lot. He, and Lavin have to prove that bringing him was a good idea. Balamou as well. He needs to get burn, so we can see what's he's got, and how he's improved.
Branch - I'd love to see him cut out the flashy crap. It's Showtime-esque. I can't stand it. Show off when you're top 10 team, and you've got a 25 point lead with 4 minutes to go.
Obekpa - Obviously, he wants to be a pro. His offense needs to be more fluid. He should have an up and under move by now. I didn't see one. With Jordan at the point, he'll get open dunks, and layups, but he has to be able to play comfortably with his back to the basket to play in the league. He has a much better shot than Jakarr because of his exceptional, and rare shot blocking ability.

Is that everyone?

Nope. There's Lavin. He needs to do one of two things:

1: coach to this team's strengths. They couldn't grasp the zone defense, and they had trouble with man.
But man d is easier to learn and when they got the hang of it, things got much better for us.

2: Pick a defense, and pick an offense, and stick with it. Let recruits know what kind of basketball represents STJ. (Other than bad basketball)

QuanMan

Re: What are our current players doing this summer?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 12:01:25 PM »
Dee should be aiming at Big East MVP this year, he's has the potential to be in the 20-25ppg range.
Section 3
Section 116

Poison

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 12:19:12 PM »
Dee should be aiming at Big East MVP this year, he's has the potential to be in the 20-25ppg range.

I agree, he should be. Could finish in the top 5 at STJ all time in scoring.

desco80

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 12:23:22 PM »
People who think Jordan is going to knock the walls down aren't paying attention to the facts.
He's good, and he has size and quickness, but he was a very inefficient offensive player.      I'm glad we have him, but it sounds to me like our fans are expecting far too much from this kid.

Players on the SJU roster who had better Offensive Ratings than Jordan, per Kenpom:

D'angelo Harrison; Jakarr Sampson; Max Hooper; Phil Greene; Dom Pointer; Chris Obekpa;
 Orlando Sanchez; God's Gift; Jamal Branch

Effective field goal percentage (eFG%): same as regular fg %, except that made three-pointers are appropriately given 50% more credit; Jordan was worse than everyone except Pointer.

True shooting percentage (TS%):  It’s like eFG%, but throws in trips to the line and converts it to a shooting percentage that approximates what 2-point percentage a player would need to have to score the points he produces on all of his shooting attempts.
Jordan's was the worst on the team.

That's not to say he doesn't do a lot.  He creates some opportunities for others, and he's a valuable defender.   But Rysheed Jordan is far from being a dominant player, or even in the conversation for 1st Team All-Conference, or the NBA draft. 
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 12:24:09 PM by desco80 »

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 12:31:23 PM »
People who think Jordan is going to knock the walls down aren't paying attention to the facts.
He's good, and he has size and quickness, but he was a very inefficient offensive player.      I'm glad we have him, but it sounds to me like our fans are expecting far too much from this kid.

Players on the SJU roster who had better Offensive Ratings than Jordan, per Kenpom:

D'angelo Harrison; Jakarr Sampson; Max Hooper; Phil Greene; Dom Pointer; Chris Obekpa;

Effective field goal percentage (eFG%): same as regular fg %, except that made three-pointers are appropriately given 50% more credit; Jordan was worse than everyone except Pointer.

True shooting percentage (TS%):  It’s like eFG%, but throws in trips to the line and converts it to a shooting percentage that approximates what 2-point percentage a player would need to have to score the points he produces on all of his shooting attempts.

That's not to say he doesn't do a lot.  He creates some opportunities for others, and he's a valuable defender.   But Rysheed Jordan is far from being a dominant player, or even in the conversation for 1st Team All-Conference, or the NBA draft. 
I'd love to see how much his efficiency improved during February and March when he was given the keys and put up better numbers.

I think Semaj Christon is a good comp for what we can reasonably expect from Sheed this year if he takes his game up a notch.  15 ppg, 4 apg, 3 TOs/gm, decent shooting percentages (which is about what he did down the stretch last season).  As we know, Semaj was a second rounder this year.

Poison

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 12:51:32 PM »

The best thing about freshman is...

And hey, Max Hooper was more efficient? Stats lie. Referencing him undoubtedly proves it.

Jordan went toe to toe with Tyler Ennis, Let's see how ready he is now that he's had a summer to reflect on where he needed to improve.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 12:55:17 PM by Poison »

desco80

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 12:55:47 PM »

I'd love to see how much his efficiency improved during February and March when he was given the keys and put up better numbers.

I think Semaj Christon is a good comp for what we can reasonably expect from Sheed this year if he takes his game up a notch.  15 ppg, 4 apg, 3 TOs/gm, decent shooting percentages (which is about what he did down the stretch last season).  As we know, Semaj was a second rounder this year.

He would need to get much better basically across the board Chudney.   
shooting significantly better (especially from 3), draw more fouls,  make more assists, turn the ball over less.   

Not impossible, but I don't see him making that leap.    His totals as a frosh look pretty good, but that's because he had an "emerald city green light" as coach likes to say.   Very high usage rate, and a ton of minutes once conference play started.   

It should be some consolation though that Christon shot much better from deep his soph year.  So guys can improve.

QuanMan

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 12:56:19 PM »
Will Felix eat away at Jamal's minutes?

Who will start CJ or Keith?

I would think practice brings about compeition between both of these tandems.
Section 3
Section 116

desco80

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 12:58:28 PM »
My intent wasn't to rain on the Jordan parade, I just think expectations should be kept in check.    He's not going to have a Dwight Hardy in '11 or Sealy in'92 type season. 

Poison

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2014, 01:01:49 PM »

I have not seen Keith play, but if he's a true PF, he's gotta start. CJ is a 3, and really, an unknown. I've heard nothing about him. Nothing about his improvement in practice during the redshirt year, and nothing about even what position he intends to play. Felix wouldn't take Jamal's minutes. I think he would take Phil's, Dom's and CJ's. He's a 2/3 that hasn't shown the ability to hit anything further than 10 feet, and he hasn't hit those very often. I think Balamou could eventually become a good defender, rebounder, slasher and he's already shown a nice free throw stroke. Balamou = role player.

desco80

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2014, 01:04:34 PM »

I have not seen Keith play, but if he's a true PF, he's gotta start. CJ is a 3, and really, an unknown. I've heard nothing about him. Nothing about his improvement in practice during the redshirt year, and nothing about even what position he intends to play. Felix wouldn't take Jamal's minutes. I think he would take Phil's, Dom's and CJ's. He's a 2/3 that hasn't shown the ability to hit anything further than 10 feet, and he hasn't hit those very often. I think Balamou could eventually become a good defender, rebounder, slasher and he's already shown a nice free throw stroke. Balamou = role player.

Problem with felix is that "eventually" is what we keep saying.   And he's already a Junior.     Unless we're preparing for him to be a role player in 2018 he needs to start making some big strides to warrant any playing time. 

QuanMan

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2014, 01:21:03 PM »
By the time November hits, Rico will have legitimately been working with Felix for 2.5 years. I expect to see a well rounded, highly athletic contributor who will be in the rotation nightly.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 01:22:04 PM by QuanMan »
Section 3
Section 116

Poison

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2014, 02:21:34 PM »

Problem with felix is that "eventually" is what we keep saying.   And he's already a Junior.     Unless we're preparing for him to be a role player in 2018 he needs to start making some big strides to warrant any playing time. 

He played 10 minutes last year.

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2014, 02:22:10 PM »

shooting significantly better (especially from 3), draw more fouls,  make more assists, turn the ball over less.   

Not impossible, but I don't see him making that leap.    His totals as a frosh look pretty good, but that's because he had an "emerald city green light" as coach likes to say.   Very high usage rate, and a ton of minutes once conference play started.   

It should be some consolation though that Christon shot much better from deep his soph year.  So guys can improve.
Don't you think he got much better across the board in the last month of the season?  I think it's just a small jump from where he was at the end of last year. 

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2014, 02:37:26 PM »

The offensive rating index or whatever should be completely thrown out the window if that is the case.

What do you expect from Rysheed this season Desco? 
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

desco80

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2014, 02:50:06 PM »

Don't you think he got much better across the board in the last month of the season?  I think it's just a small jump from where he was at the end of last year. 

He did get better or did he just start shooting more?   
Either way I think he'll be good, so I don't want to go overboard.   Just leery that we're expecting a lot from Rysheed.   

Foad

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2014, 04:23:54 PM »

Either way I think he'll be good, so I don't want to go overboard.   Just leery that we're expecting a lot from Rysheed.   

RJ is going to be great. He made enormous progress after the first half season. Prediction: break out. Get on board now and pat yourself on the back later. Felix too.

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2014, 04:30:17 PM »
Just wanted to say hi, this is my first post.
Looking forward to gthe season coming up.

One other thing.
I feel like an idiot for asking, but how do I sign up to redmen.com. I looked several times. Clicked on Sign up.
But I didn`t see a place to sign up.
Only the login area.

Thanks in advanced.

desco80

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2014, 05:04:16 PM »

RJ is going to be great. He made enormous progress after the first half season. Prediction: break out. Get on board now and pat yourself on the back later. Felix too.

Call me skeptical, but I can't decide if I should take that at face value.   I don't recall you ever mentioning Felix's name before.

Foad

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2014, 09:30:15 PM »
  I don't recall you ever mentioning Felix's name before.

And here I was thinking you a fan. I've been pimping Balamou since November 2012. Before there was even a curve to be ahead of.

"Well, I've decided to get a head start on everyone and proclaim myself the president of the Felix Balamou fan club. In the first place, Felix is a cool name and there have been many cool historical Felixes (or more correctly felii): Felix the Cat, Felix Frankfurter, and of course Felix Unger. And in the second place, I like his hair. This Tuesday, the 20th of November, is the feast day of Saint Felix of Cornwall. I proclaim it the feast day of Felix Balamou as well. TGAPL has got to find some minutes for this kid: he's the real deal."

http://www.bigeastboards.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=72149