Bosnian big-man

• 60 replies

Poison

Re: Bosnian big-man
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2014, 10:59:14 AM »
I dont know what a stretch 4 is. But I want a tough guy playing the 4. I dont care how tall he is as long as he is strong. I dont want to see him block any shots. I want to see him box out.

Stretch 4:  Think Durant, Nowitzki.

Perhaps he'd be better off thinking Tyler Jones, Rodney Epperson, Mike Menniefield, Fred Hemphill, Paul Berwanger, and every other crappy 4 we've ever had than two of the better players on the planet.

Epperson wasn't so bad. And he wasn't a 4. He was a 3.

paultzman

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2014, 11:38:34 AM »
"Sanders has been garnering a lot of attention from many DI programs. He has received offers from St. John’s, Temple, Seton Hall, and Manhattan. VCU, Minnesota, and Nebraska have also shown interest.

Nakye is very close with his family which could mean good news for St. John’s.

"Nakye has a tremendous support system around him. He lives with his mother and stepfather. He has a younger brother Donte who is in the 7th grade," Woodman said.

Adding a player with Sanders’s skill set would be a plus for the St. John’s program. Sanders might be undersized, but his motor and his versatility can make up for what he lacks in height.

His coach is very optimistic of his chances of succeeded at the next level, and he believes that Nakye will be able to play multiple positions in college.

"He continues to work on his ball handling and that will determine how far away from the basket he can play," Woodman said. "At 6’8", 225 pounds and only 16 he is certainly still growing. With that growth should come the distinction as to where his future would be. He would probably excel as a hybrid or a small forward or power forward."

It is difficult to make comparisons, but when thinking of Sanders one player that comes to mind is former St. Joseph’s forward, Halil Kanacevic. Kanacevic, who also hails from Staten Island, was a Swiss Army Knife for St. Joe’s. He was able to rebound, pass, and even knock down the three ball.

Sanders still has a lot of work ahead of him to reach that level of effectiveness. However, his future is very bright.

New York City’s Public School Athletic League (PSAL) was once regarded as one of the most competitive high school basketball leagues in the country, producing stars such as Bernard King, Lenny Wilkens, and Stephon Marbury. The PSAL has lost some of its luster, with players choosing to play in the Catholic league, or outside of the confines of New York City.

However, every couple of years there are a few players who remind people why the league is so special. St. John’s and Steve Lavin hope to have found one of these players in Tottenville High School’s Nakye Sanders."

Full article;

http://www.rumbleinthegarden.com/2014/7/21/5921975/st-johns-nakye-sanders-tottenville-offer-chat-coach-woodman

Poison

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2014, 11:49:24 AM »
Amar sounds a like Tomas Jasuloines. So, he's probably a really nice kid.

derk

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2014, 11:54:25 AM »
I dont know what a stretch 4 is. But I want a tough guy playing the 4. I dont care how tall he is as long as he is strong. I dont want to see him block any shots. I want to see him box out.

Stretch 4:  Think Durant, Nowitzki.

Perhaps he'd be better off thinking Tyler Jones, Rodney Epperson, Mike Menniefield, Fred Hemphill, Paul Berwanger, and every other crappy 4 we've ever had than two of the better players on the planet.

Epperson wasn't so bad. And he wasn't a 4. He was a 3.

Epperson had a sweet shot. Too bad he wasn't around long enough to develop for us. Knew how to get in the paint too.

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2014, 02:12:08 PM »
SL coming home or looking at other Euro players?

@SJUCoachLavin: Life On The Run! #Hammer2Rock #StJohnsInternationalBrand #NYC #CenterOfUniverse #GothamCityHoops #MeccaOfHoops http://t.co/FLTRaBdymx
Well, after giving Lavs some grief over not backing up his "international university" play when he came in, he is getting more serious overseas.  I know nothing about him, but at least we have a puncher's chance with his dad having played college ball. Let's hope it's a step up, not down on the talent level...  :up:

Poison

« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2014, 04:53:53 PM »

@SJUCoachLavin: Life On The Run! #Hammer2Rock #StJohnsInternationalBrand #NYC #CenterOfUniverse #GothamCityHoops #MeccaOfHoops http://t.co/FLTRaBdymx
Well, after giving Lavs some grief over not backing up his "international university" play when he came in, he is getting more serious overseas.  I know nothing about him, but at least we have a puncher's chance with his dad having played college ball. Let's hope it's a step up, not down on the talent level...  :up:

This kid seems like he's not at a BE, or possibly even a D1 level. We shouldn't be sweating this one out.

desco80

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2014, 09:40:22 PM »
I have no idea whether this kid is good or not, and I don't fault coach for going to look at him.

But I think this shows that last cycle the staff didn't get the job done.   There's less than 90 days till the season starts and we're scrambling to find pieces, while every other high-major program is focused on 2015 or 2016 kids.   

SJU79

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2014, 10:06:20 PM »
They like this kid and think he's a baller, not a reach. No clue myself but they think he's legit

Poison

« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2014, 10:45:36 PM »
They like this kid and think he's a baller, not a reach. No clue myself but they think he's legit

This is the staff that told us Marco Bourgault was the best pure sure shooter they ever coached. What would they say, he's just not very good, but f it, at least he'll get us some attention in the media.

« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2014, 11:00:13 PM »
There are a couple of guys on this board who still agree with that assessment of Marco.

« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2014, 12:41:16 AM »
From what I'm told is that he's skillful and a little more polished than Sanchez but not as dynamic. I don't know physically how he will play down low but if he can make shots efficiently when he's in the game this is a positive.

I wouldn't hold out thinking he's a stud.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Foad

« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2014, 07:38:33 AM »
more polished than Sanchez but not as dynamic.

Not as dynamic as Sanchez? Is he still animate?

« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2014, 11:23:48 AM »

This kid seems like he's not at a BE, or possibly even a D1 level. We shouldn't be sweating this one out.
I will take your word for it.  As I mentioned in some earlier posts when Mykhailiuk popped up, I am surprised Coach wasn't after Cekovsky (Canaris A.) when the Terps got him.

« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2014, 11:27:33 AM »
From what I'm told is that he's skillful and a little more polished than Sanchez but not as dynamic. I don't know physically how he will play down low but if he can make shots efficiently when he's in the game this is a positive.

Why didn't the staff go after Cekovsky?  They had to have known about him being aware that Willard was "living" at Canaris a few years back...why didn't we have a dog in that quiet race?
I have to question the staff's thoroughness on this one, unless I read something to the contrary.

Jon Rothstein called him a "steal" for MD:

From Testudo Times:

"After observing Maryland, who does Rothstein see as their starting five?"

"Early prediction on Maryland starting five --- Romelo Trimble, Dez Wells, Jake Layman, Evan Smotrycz, Michal Cekovsky....I think that's a pretty good guess. Rothstein said Cekovsky is a "steal" for Maryland and really thinks he can make an impact. With Reed recovering from his foot injury, I think that puts Cekovsky in an even better position to start at the beginning of the season. He will add a lot of height and length that Maryland has missed since Alex Len left for the NBA. And as Andrew noted in his piece about Cekovsky, he has a great face-up game, and moves extremely well with the ball, considering he's seven feet tall."

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/statuses/490972857875193856
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 12:08:05 PM by bball purist »

« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2014, 01:54:49 PM »

Why didn't the staff go after Cekovsky?  They had to have known about him being aware that Willard was "living" at Canaris a few years back...why didn't we have a dog in that quiet race?
I have to question the staff's thoroughness on this one, unless I read something to the contrary.

From Testudo Times:

"Early prediction on Maryland starting five --- Romelo Trimble, Dez Wells, Jake Layman, Evan Smotrycz, Michal Cekovsky....I think that's a pretty good guess. Rothstein said Cekovsky is a "steal" for Maryland and really thinks he can make an impact. With Reed recovering from his foot injury, I think that puts Cekovsky in an even better position to start at the beginning of the season. He will add a lot of height and length that Maryland has missed since Alex Len left for the NBA. And as Andrew noted in his piece about Cekovsky, he has a great face-up game, and moves extremely well with the ball, considering he's seven feet tall."

Too busy scouting out the best restaurants to eat at rather than noticing the appropriate basketball players to recruit to SJU.

« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2014, 02:07:37 PM »

From Testudo Times:

Too busy scouting out the best restaurants to eat at rather than noticing the appropriate basketball players to recruit to SJU.
Funny one ... On that note, some of coaches look like they could use some serious workouts and shed a few, say 25+ lbs.  I recall fball coach Friedgen at UMD getting grief for not looking the part.  I kind of cringed when I saw a recent Peach Jam photo.  Some coaches be housin'...I love 'em, but I want the staff to have every edge they can get recruiting-wise...no schmediums there, but at least be a solid XL...
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 02:08:54 PM by bball purist »

« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2014, 07:08:52 PM »
more polished than Sanchez but not as dynamic.

Not as dynamic as Sanchez? Is he still animate?

lmfao

« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2014, 03:04:51 PM »
Following up my comment concerning some of the staff shedding some pounds and getting in better shape:

Ironically, I just saw what Alford (of all coaches) has been doing:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2137761-steve-alford-quickly-turning-the-tide-for-ucla-basketball?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=college-basketball

"LAS VEGAS — Multiple times each week, the Varsity Club meets in the Pauley Pavilion weight room.
Some days it’s a cardio workout on the treadmill or stationary bike. Other times they pump iron or focus on their core. The group only has four members, but UCLA coach Steve Alford and his three assistants don’t hesitate to boast about their fitness accomplishments when the Bruins players straddle in for their own session an hour later.

“They call themselves the Varsity Club and tell us we’re the Junior Varsity Club! Can you believe that?” point guard Norman Powell said in a phone interview. “They think they’re so funny, teasing with us about how they can lift more than we can. They know it’s not true. “They’re just a bunch of old men.”
Powell chuckled.
“That’s what we love about Coach Alford,” he said. “He’s intense and demanding on the court but a great guy off of it. With him, we get the best of both worlds.”

Indeed, one year since hiring Alford to replace Ben Howland, things couldn’t be working out any better for UCLA."
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 03:06:09 PM by bball purist »

« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2014, 12:14:19 AM »
Saw some raw footage of him tonight. Can elevate a bit, looked comfortable with ball in hands, and can stroke it.  Has all 4 years of eligibility.

Comparison: Tom Gugilotta
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

paultzman

« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2014, 08:03:51 AM »
Saw some raw footage of him tonight. Can elevate a bit, looked comfortable with ball in hands, and can stroke it.  Has all 4 years of eligibility.

Comparison: Tom Gugilotta

Not shabby. Get him for a few years & this is a nice addition. Kudos to Lavin if this comes to fruition. Tom G was a very smart, talented player & son of a coach from Huntington area. We need an infusion of high basketball IQ kids in my opinion.