Bosnian big-man

• 60 replies

Foad

Re: Bosnian big-man
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2014, 08:17:33 AM »
Saw some raw footage of him tonight. Can elevate a bit, looked comfortable with ball in hands, and can stroke it.  Has all 4 years of eligibility.

Comparison: Tom Gugilotta

Not shabby. Get him for a few years & this is a nice addition. Kudos to Lavin if this comes to fruition. Tom G was a very smart, talented player & son of a coach from Huntington area. We need an infusion of high basketball IQ kids in my opinion.

Tom Gugilotta was the 6th pick in the NBA draft the year Sealy went 14th. For those of you scoring at home Gugilotta is now the third lottery pick to whom the player whose name no one knows has been compared.

Kudos to Lavin for finding a lottery pick where no one else was looking. Peach Jam? We don't need no steenkin Peach Jam.

paultzman

« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2014, 08:21:12 AM »
Saw some raw footage of him tonight. Can elevate a bit, looked comfortable with ball in hands, and can stroke it.  Has all 4 years of eligibility.

Not shabby. Get him for a few years & this is a nice addition. Kudos to Lavin if this comes to fruition. Tom G was a very smart, talented player & son of a coach from Huntington area. We need an infusion of high basketball IQ kids in my opinion.

Tom Gugilotta was the 6th pick in the NBA draft the year Sealy went 14th. For those of you scoring at home Gugilotta is now the third lottery pick to whom the player whose name no one knows has been compared.

Kudos to Lavin for finding a lottery pick where no one else was looking. Peach Jam? We don't need no steenkin Peach Jam.

I think he meant styles are similar. Allegedly this kid can post up & step out for jumpers like Tom. Regarding substance, of course you can't compare them. Eli Wallach liked him btw. ;)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 08:22:46 AM by paultzman »

Foad

« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2014, 09:29:23 AM »

I think he meant styles are similar. Allegedly this kid can post up & step out for jumpers like Tom. Regarding substance, of course you can't compare them. Eli Wallach liked him btw. ;)

Yes, I'm aware that no one is drawing a straight up comparison. I might have gone with Fred Lyson or John Hempel though. Allegedly players, allegedly shooters, no one's ever heard of them, unlikely to pan out in the long run. Hope I'm wrong of course. I saw a photo of what's his name on Bing and he kind of reminds me of John Havlicek - Hondo was a Czech not a Bosnian but it's same thing, nearly. We could use a Havlicek type to back up the other guy no one's ever seen play, I hear that guy's a Dennis Rodman clone. Between Havlicek and Rodman they got 17 rings, they'd definitely vault us over Xavier and Providence in the standings.

paultzman

« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2014, 09:37:15 AM »

Yes, I'm aware that no one is drawing a straight up comparison. I might have gone with Fred Lyson or John Hempel though. Allegedly players, allegedly shooters, no one's ever heard of them, unlikely to pan out in the long run. Hope I'm wrong of course. I saw a photo of what's his name on Bing and he kind of reminds me of John Havlicek - Hondo was a Czech not a Bosnian but it's same thing, nearly. We could use a Havlicek type to back up the other guy no one's ever seen play, I hear that guy's a Dennis Rodman clone. Between Havlicek and Rodman they got 17 rings, they'd definitely vault us over Xavier and Providence in the standings.

I agree that the recent Dennis Rodman / Thomas comparison  was nuts. Fair points!

pmg911

« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2014, 03:28:37 PM »

John Hempel. . was a great bouncing at Casey's on the Upper East side...

« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2014, 03:56:40 PM »
John Hempel-an outside shooter his first two years than transferred to SJU where Lou had him posting up and getting his shot blocked by the elbow of his defenders. He became so disenchanted with the way he was being used it looked like he played to lose in the NCAA T game where we lost a 10 point lead late to DePaul -what a heart breaker that was-took me two weeks to get out of a depression.

pmg911

« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2014, 08:31:59 AM »
John Hempel-an outside shooter his first two years than transferred to SJU where Lou had him posting up and getting his shot blocked by the elbow of his defenders. He became so disenchanted with the way he was being used it looked like he played to lose in the NCAA T game where we lost a 10 point lead late to DePaul -what a heart breaker that was-took me two weeks to get out of a depression.

Was that the game where Tyrone Corbin blatantly had a free throw line violation at the end of the game and snagged his own rebound and scored on put back..?

As for Hempel, he was very good at lower comp level but was awful when he moved up in comp...

Foad

« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2014, 08:53:25 AM »

Was that the game where Tyrone Corbin blatantly had a free throw line violation at the end of the game and snagged his own rebound and scored on put back..?

I remember it being Dallas Comegys.

Foad

« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2014, 08:56:50 AM »

http://www.nytimes.com/1987/03/16/sports/depaul-tops-redmen-overtime-georgetown-erases-15-point-lead-demons-tie-late-foul.html

pmg911

« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2014, 10:04:35 AM »

Yes,  you were correct...   my memory getting weaker as i get older..

Marillac

« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2014, 02:05:02 PM »

Oh c'mon!

« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2014, 03:08:41 PM »

Actually I thought it was Rod Strickland.  The game was in 1987 NCAA 2nd round game and DePaul was playing on their home floor at the then called Rosemont Horizon.  They were a 3 seed SJU was a 6.  SJU had knocked off Wichita St 2 days prior on a Marco Baldi jumper, I think 62-60.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 03:09:39 PM by fordham96 »

QuanMan

« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2014, 03:40:36 PM »
What is the latest date that a student athlete can commit for first semester this year per the NCAA calendar?
Section 3
Section 116

pmg911

« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2014, 04:20:05 PM »
What is the latest date that a student athlete can commit for first semester this year per the NCAA calendar?

Not sure there is a hard date in place for that but any potential student will have to be cleared by the NCAA Clearinghouse and that takes time and foreign players tend to get a little more scrutiny then others.

« Reply #54 on: July 29, 2014, 07:21:41 AM »

That was the ref job of the century.  On topic, I see where the hammer to rock guy wrote this year's class is "stellar".  That sounds like he's wrapping things up and this kid isn't coming.

« Reply #55 on: July 29, 2014, 01:07:17 PM »

That was the ref job of the century.  On topic, I see where the hammer to rock guy wrote this year's class is "stellar".  That sounds like he's wrapping things up and this kid isn't coming.
Disagree. If he is calling 2014 a stellar class there have to be at least two five star mystery recruits on the way by September.

desco80

« Reply #56 on: July 29, 2014, 03:17:40 PM »

Disagree. If he is calling 2014 a stellar class there have to be at least two five star mystery recruits on the way by September.

No, no.  You guys have it all wrong.
He's focusing on the 2016 class.   Everybody knows that's the class he's going all in on. 

« Reply #57 on: August 16, 2014, 12:26:15 AM »
Newsday 8/14:

St. John's men's basketball is thinking big three. Recruits, that is.

The Red Storm announced the signing of 6-9 Bosnian forward Amar Alibegovic on Wednesday. He is the third big man added this summer after 6-11 center Adonis Delarosa (Christ The King) and 6-8 forward Keith Thomas (Mount Vernon) out of Westchester Community College.

Alibegovic, the No. 41 European prospect among 19-year-olds, competed on a Bosnia and Herzegovina national team that went 8-0 to win the Under-20 European Championship Division B in July. He averaged 5.1 points and 2.8 rebounds in the tournament and reached double figures three times.

"Amar has the skill, size and basketball intellect to help fuel our purposes as we continue to build our program into a sustainable winner," St. John's coach Steve Lavin said in a statement.

The son of former Oregon State hoops standout Teo Alibegovic also played with the Italian Stella Azzurra junior team, where he averaged 6.0 points and 3.3 rebounds, shooting 56.3 percent.

« Reply #58 on: August 18, 2014, 09:12:06 AM »
Do we think there will be any eligibility concerns here? There often are in Euros.

paultzman

« Reply #59 on: August 18, 2014, 10:32:25 AM »
Do we think there will be any eligibility concerns here? There often are in Euros.

No