Amar Alibegovic - Bosnia - ST. JOHN'S

• 50 replies
Re: Amar Alibegovic - Bosnia - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2014, 12:34:22 AM »
TonyD, you mentioned several guards.  We were loaded with guards.  The guys you speak of were not better than what we currently have.  This kid is 6'9".  I don't know how good he is but the comparisons you make are not reallygood ones.  As for Jonathan Severe,we showed some interest.  I think he wanted a situation where he would be guaranteed a stating position.  We couldn't offer that...and based on what I've seen of his game at Fordham, he would have been a disaster on our team.

Poison

« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2014, 11:32:41 AM »
TonyD, you mentioned several guards.  We were loaded with guards.  The guys you speak of were not better than what we currently have.  This kid is 6'9".  I don't know how good he is but the comparisons you make are not reallygood ones.  As for Jonathan Severe,we showed some interest.  I think he wanted a situation where he would be guaranteed a stating position.  We couldn't offer that...and based on what I've seen of his game at Fordham, he would have been a disaster on our team.

I'm not so sure that Severe would have been a disaster on our team. Don't think he'd have been better than Bourgault or Hooper? I think he has more natural talent than those guys do. He was just a freshman after all. Not a bad rookie season IMO.

« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2014, 12:32:23 PM »

I'm not so sure that Severe would have been a disaster on our team. Don't think he'd have been better than Bourgault or Hooper? I think he has more natural talent than those guys do. He was just a freshman after all. Not a bad rookie season IMO.

The number of shots he takes would have been a problem on our team.  If he were willing to defer to the other more talented players on our team, he would have definitely been better than Hooper and Bourgault.  I just think that he wants the offense to center around him and that would not have worked for us.  There's a reason why he chose Fordham over a higher level school.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 12:33:25 PM by simplyred »

« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2014, 09:07:04 PM »
For those who care from what I am told Amar has been cleared academically by the NCAA Eligibility Center something that is sometimes problematic with overseas kids.

« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2014, 11:27:43 AM »
At the very least it will give posters someone to clamor for when we are struggling. This will be followed by the always entertaining he stinks threads once he actually plays.

Marillac

« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2014, 04:56:10 PM »

The number of shots he takes would have been a problem on our team.  If he were willing to defer to the other more talented players on our team, he would have definitely been better than Hooper and Bourgault.  I just think that he wants the offense to center around him and that would not have worked for us.  There's a reason why he chose Fordham over a higher level school.

Severe would not have shot as much as he did with Harrison and Jordan.  I would love that kid on this team.  He shot almost eight treys a game and made 35%.  That is really hard to do.  He could have easily been at 40% if he eliminated his two or three most difficult attempts every game. 

As for Amar, I'm kind of indifferent.  I'm glad we got a someone who can shoot--because I can see it being a big problem at times this year--but I hate that it has to be a PF.  I want my PFs under the basket.

Poison

« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2014, 05:57:48 PM »

Severe would not have shot as much as he did with Harrison and Jordan.  I would love that kid on this team.  He shot almost eight treys a game and made 35%.  That is really hard to do.  He could have easily been at 40% if he eliminated his two or three most difficult attempts every game. 

As for Amar, I'm kind of indifferent.  I'm glad we got a someone who can shoot--because I can see it being a big problem at times this year--but I hate that it has to be a PF.  I want my PFs under the basket.

When Hooper and Bourgault arrived, they were billed as 3 point shooters, and nothing else. And they did exactly that, except for the 3 point shooting. This kid is 6'9. Hopefully, he can develop more of a game than his predecessors did.

Marillac

« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2014, 06:21:27 PM »

When Hooper and Bourgault arrived, they were billed as 3 point shooters, and nothing else. And they did exactly that, except for the 3 point shooting. This kid is 6'9. Hopefully, he can develop more of a game than his predecessors did.

Bourgault was thought of as more than just a three-point shooter.  He showed a good handle, some rebounding, and great court awareness and passing ability.  I still don't think he was used correctly, but that's for another thread. 

I am not going to expect much from Amar, but I would love to be surprised. 

paultzman

« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2014, 11:56:00 AM »
@Denis1_finao: @Amar7Alibegovic for everyone that been wondering we are cousins not brothers.

Denis from Chicago, mystery solved.

Marillac

« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2014, 03:25:04 PM »
@Denis1_finao: @Amar7Alibegovic for everyone that been wondering we are cousins not brothers.

Denis from Chicago, mystery solved.

Kid can play.  Big fan and hopefully he wants to play with his cousin in a few years.