Who starts at the 3?

• 49 replies
Who starts at the 3?
« on: September 13, 2014, 12:07:59 PM »
Dom Pointer,  Christian Jones or does Lavin go with  3 guard lineup with Phil Greene or Branch?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 12:08:59 PM by Marco Baldi »

ras

Re: Who starts at the 3?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 12:25:24 PM »
Seeing how much PT Phil got in the past, I say 3 guard line up. One must also consider Branch.

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 12:47:11 PM »
I'd personally like to see us go 3 guard starting Branch, D'lo and Rysheed. That gives you two very capable passers on the court, as well as two great scorers.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 12:48:17 PM by redstorm212 »

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 01:18:20 PM »
I'd personally like to see us go 3 guard starting Branch, D'lo and Rysheed. That gives you two very capable passers on the court, as well as two great scorers.

I agree.  Pointer is best served bringing the energy off the bench

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2014, 02:18:49 PM »

I believe in starting our five best and that means DLo, Sheed. Dom, Thomas (I hope) and Obekpa.  Nobody else has shown enough to crack that.  We have so many guards Pointer has to be a three.  If Jones produces Dom can be a crunch time sub but a good start is a key this year.  His defense is so important and Thomas' rebounding is the other key for the year.  Obekpa has to block shots and stop penetration to have a sniff at the pros.  If ADR contributes and takes up space we can have a decent rotation.  Lavin has his work cut out but he does have some pieces to work with in an up tempo format.  We're not staffed to play much half court but we'll see. 

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2014, 03:28:54 PM »

I believe in starting our five best and that means DLo, Sheed. Dom, Thomas (I hope) and Obekpa.  Nobody else has shown enough to crack that.  We have so many guards Pointer has to be a three.  If Jones produces Dom can be a crunch time sub but a good start is a key this year.  His defense is so important and Thomas' rebounding is the other key for the year.  Obekpa has to block shots and stop penetration to have a sniff at the pros.  If ADR contributes and takes up space we can have a decent rotation.  Lavin has his work cut out but he does have some pieces to work with in an up tempo format.  We're not staffed to play much half court but we'll see. 

Not that I'm arguing , but you think Pointer has been better than Phil?

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2014, 04:38:43 PM »
Agree with starting Dom at the 3.  He should be the defense stopper that Phil cannot be.  Jones can come in for some size and Phil for offense when needed.     

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2014, 05:05:39 PM »
I think dom will start at the 3. Ive said in the past that im not a big fan of his game and that coming off the bench is good for him, but maybe starting will help him understand his role more and not try to force the issue.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

QuanMan

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2014, 07:10:54 PM »
Dee,Sheed,Dom > Jamal,Sheed,Dee
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2014, 07:59:19 PM »
Greene.

Poison

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2014, 10:23:13 PM »
The thing is Pointer should be the starter, but he's been an embarrassment and his game hasn't improved much if at all. Best case scenario is that he finally focuses, grows up and puts it all together for one last season. If Jones is starting, that's not a good sign.

Likely, it will be Greene, bec he's the best 3 point shooter on the team. We all know his weaknesses, but these guys couldn't score, and he can help in that area.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 10:25:01 PM by Poison »

Marillac

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2014, 02:23:15 AM »
I'd start Jordan-Branch-Harrison-Pointer-Obekpa to set the pace of the game early and go for a knockout punch.  Start off in a matchup zone press with Obekpa 10 feet or less from the basket.  Fall back into a 2-3. 

Bring in Greene and Thomas off the bench to either keep the pace if it's working, or go half court and man-to-man.

I think Lavin will start Jordan-Harrison-Pointer-Thomas-Obekpa.  I wouldn't be shocked if Jones got the not at the four.

Foad

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2014, 06:51:30 AM »
Unless Lavin decides to change his offensive scheme - and why should he, because if it's broke why fix it - then Greene starts. Lavin wants 4 guys who can attack the basket. With Pointer at the three, Thomas 4 and Obekpa 5, you have two guys who can attack the basket (Jordan, DH) and two guys whose offensive games are a danger to themselves and others (Obekpa, Pointer). Even with the improvement Obekpa showed last year, he'd need to make a quantum leap and although from a pure entertainment POV I'd be ecstatic if Lavin cleared out a side for Pointer 10 or 12 times a game, it's not a recipe for success. Balamou is maybe the most interesting option at  the 3, but Lavin loves him some Phil Greene. I suspect three guards.

TONYD3

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2014, 07:20:22 AM »
I think Branch should start. Would like to start with both harrison and jordan on wings. Think Dom should and will play plenty. Just dont want to see him and obekpa playing at same time. Dont understand the love for felix. I understand he is athletic but he cant shoot and no offensive game. The key to the season in my opinion is getting something out of Jones and Thomas.

Poison

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2014, 08:58:31 AM »
I think Branch should start. Would like to start with both harrison and jordan on wings. Think Dom should and will play plenty. Just dont want to see him and obekpa playing at same time. Dont understand the love for felix. I understand he is athletic but he cant shoot and no offensive game. The key to the season in my opinion is getting something out of Jones and Thomas.

Branch was starting last year. Lavin gave him that chance. He blew it. Hopefully he turns it this year, and produces, but this decision isn't on Lavin.

TONYD3

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2014, 10:09:45 AM »
branch may started some games, but not most of them. i think branch should start but not finish every game or even play more then greene every game. Think harrison and jordan have to play 36 plus. Think Dom needs to play alot. everyone else depends on game.

Poison

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2014, 10:16:01 AM »
branch may started some games, but not most of them. i think branch should start but not finish every game or even play more then greene every game. Think harrison and jordan have to play 36 plus. Think Dom needs to play alot. everyone else depends on game.

I'd be really happy if they didn't adjust anything depending on who we're playing. Lavin adjusted the rotation so much last year, that it ruined the season. Pick a damn line up, and stick with it.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 02:32:40 PM by Poison »

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2014, 11:42:17 AM »

You say you want dom to play plenty but then say you dont understand the love for felix.  If felix is athletic and cant shoot (both of which I think he has an edge over dom) then why should one play plenty and one not play at all?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2014, 12:19:31 PM »
I'd start Jordan-Branch-Harrison-Pointer-Obekpa to set the pace of the game early and go for a knockout punch.  Start off in a matchup zone press with Obekpa 10 feet or less from the basket.  Fall back into a 2-3. 

Bring in Greene and Thomas off the bench to either keep the pace if it's working, or go half court and man-to-man.

I think Lavin will start Jordan-Harrison-Pointer-Thomas-Obekpa.  I wouldn't be shocked if Jones got the not at the four.
I agree with your Lavin prediction.  From there I think it's game on between Thomas and Jones for PT.  Then I'd look for Branch t o replace Dom  in the three guard set and Greene to spell Sheed and/or Dlo. That's a nice rotation.   by any standard. 

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2014, 02:20:05 PM »
Dlo, Sheed's the pg and Phil's the 2