Who starts at the 3?

• 49 replies

TONYD3

Re: Who starts at the 3?
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2014, 11:30:25 PM »
I think Branch should start. Would like to start with both harrison and jordan on wings. Think Dom should and will play plenty. Just dont want to see him and obekpa playing at same time. Dont understand the love for felix. I understand he is athletic but he cant shoot and no offensive game. The key to the season in my opinion is getting something out of Jones and Thomas.

You say you want dom to play plenty but then say you dont understand the love for felix.  If felix is athletic and cant shoot (both of which I think he has an edge over dom) then why should one play plenty and one not play at all?
[/quo\
Dom is bigger and stronger. Think he can guard bigger players. he can be a mismatch. felix is guard who cant dribble or shoot also plays same position of our best players.

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2014, 10:18:56 PM »
Greene starts at the 3.  Need shooting.  I think Dom gets a lot of time as a 4.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

desco80

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2014, 10:24:36 PM »
I think Branch should start. Would like to start with both harrison and jordan on wings. Think Dom should and will play plenty. Just dont want to see him and obekpa playing at same time. Dont understand the love for felix. I understand he is athletic but he cant shoot and no offensive game. The key to the season in my opinion is getting something out of Jones and Thomas.

You say you want dom to play plenty but then say you dont understand the love for felix.  If felix is athletic and cant shoot (both of which I think he has an edge over dom) then why should one play plenty and one not play at all?

Mase,
Dom is bigger, and more experienced.
I respect your opinion, but I just don't see what you love about Felix.  He can't dribble or shoot.    Dom has at least proven to be unselfish and a capable passer.
Also, I'm not convinced dom can't rebound.  If we stop playing him at the top of the zone, or guarding opposing pgs, I think he rebounds just fine for his position.

Ideally though, we never see that match up - zone again.  Besides that, I agree with what Marillac had to say above. 

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2014, 05:56:36 AM »

Mase,
I respect your opinion, but I just don't see what you love about Felix.  He can't dribble or shoot.    Dom has at least proven to be unselfish and a capable passer.
Also, I'm not convinced dom can't rebound.  If we stop playing him at the top of the zone, or guarding opposing pgs, I think he rebounds just fine for his position.

Ideally though, we never see that match up - zone again.  Besides that, I agree with what Marillac had to say above. 

I respect yours too Desco, thanks.  More experience yes, bigger though? not by much.  Im not convinced felix cant be an acceptable shooter either. He just hasnt gotten the opportunities to prove otherwise. He is a 90% ft  shooter in his short time playing. He is sooo much more under control than Dom is. Your biggest concern for this year always seems to come back to our ability to score/shoot the ball right? Well dom, more so than any other guy on the roster, hinders our ability to do that.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

desco80

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2014, 07:38:00 AM »

Mase,

I respect yours too Desco, thanks.  More experience yes, bigger though? not by much.  Im not convinced felix cant be an acceptable shooter either. He just hasnt gotten the opportunities to prove otherwise. He is a 90% ft  shooter in his short time playing. He is sooo much more under control than Dom is. Your biggest concern for this year always seems to come back to our ability to score/shoot the ball right? Well dom, more so than any other guy on the roster, hinders our ability to do that.

That is very true, dom is a  limited player offensively.   I'm all for giving Felix some extended looks  in our exhibition games.   Theres no reason guys like D'Angelo and jordan need to play 30mpg  against our DII  opponents.   So let's see what he can do.   

SJUFAN

« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2014, 10:52:40 AM »
What is everyone expecting out of Jones? Think he can play the 3 or better suited for the four?

paultzman

« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2014, 11:31:10 AM »
What is everyone expecting out of Jones? Think he can play the 3 or better suited for the four?

The four. That's all he has ever played. IMO, his ball handling skills preclude the three & I think he would struggle guarding quick perimeter players.

derk

« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2014, 02:29:13 PM »
Would be nice if Jones can shoot enough to anchor the 3, then we can have a normal size / talent match at all 5 positions. But there is no evidence that he has that abiiity.

So Greene, being the best shooter on an offensively challenged team, gets the nod in our 3 guard offense with Thomas ( has to be a big time rebounder ) and Obekpa up front.

If that's not our starting lineup it would be great if it develops into our most effective lineup for our post season run.

Poison

« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2014, 02:32:48 PM »
Would be nice if Jones can shoot enough to anchor the 3, then we can have a normal size / talent match at all 5 positions. But there is no evidence that he has that abiiity.

So Greene, being the best shooter on an offensively challenged team, gets the nod in our 3 guard offense with Thomas ( has to be a big time rebounder ) and Obekpa up front.

If that's not our starting lineup it would be great if it develops into our most effective lineup for our post season run.

It's a little disappointing that we haven't heard boo about Christopher Jones since he redshirted. Did he get any better? Did he look any better? Lindy's listed him as a player to watch. Why? They didn't say.

« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2014, 03:06:39 PM »
Wild guess.Amar Alibegovic 6-8 Outside shot can board, Can he play D on 3s?

Poison

« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2014, 03:14:14 PM »
Wild guess.Amar Alibegovic 6-8 Outside shot can board, Can he play D on 3s?

As far as we know, the only thing that Amir Alibegovic has going for him right now is that Lavin literally went overseas to get him.
And maybe that his dad played as well, and that leads one to believe that he's well coached. Something we could use more of.

« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2014, 04:34:04 PM »

It's a little disappointing that we haven't heard boo about Christopher Jones since he redshirted. Did he get any better? Did he look any better? Lindy's listed him as a player to watch. Why? They didn't say.

We've heard so little about him  that one of our biggest fans doesnt even know his name..

« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2014, 04:34:58 PM »

The four. That's all he has ever played. IMO, his ball handling skills preclude the three & I think he would struggle guarding quick perimeter players.

Agreed, we can go big and play zone and see what happens, but skill wise Jones is not a wing player.

Poison

« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2014, 05:03:20 PM »

We've heard so little about him  that one of our biggest fans doesnt even know his name..

SEE!

Poison

« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2014, 05:07:54 PM »

In the little that saw of him, he played like a big guard. Not the biggest, but he showed a nice shooting touch from 10 feet, and the ability to finish in transition. He threw down some powerful dunks if I remember correctly. On defense, he was playing inside, and it seemed as if he'd never played in the paint before. That's why I'm hoping he's improved enough to play the 3. But again, crickets.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 05:08:59 PM by Poison »

Marillac

« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2014, 07:28:53 PM »

In the little that saw of him, he played like a big guard. Not the biggest, but he showed a nice shooting touch from 10 feet, and the ability to finish in transition. He threw down some powerful dunks if I remember correctly. On defense, he was playing inside, and it seemed as if he'd never played in the paint before. That's why I'm hoping he's improved enough to play the 3. But again, crickets.

Defensively he is a four.  Offensively he thinks of himself as a two and has shown some skills of a three, but he's best suited at the four.  He's got some decent skills, we just need him to be physical and much, much quicker to the ball. 

« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2014, 08:12:48 PM »

Defensively he is a four.  Offensively he thinks of himself as a two and has shown some skills of a three, but he's best suited at the four.  He's got some decent skills, we just need him to be physical and much, much quicker to the ball. 

I dont know where you come up with the idea he thinks of himself as a two on offense? He never floated outside the arc, never tried to bring the ball up, posted up as often as anyone on the team. He might not be as tough as marillac would hope he is but that doesnt make him a guard.

Poison

« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2014, 08:47:15 PM »

I dont know where you come up with the idea he thinks of himself as a two on offense? He never floated outside the arc, never tried to bring the ball up, posted up as often as anyone on the team. He might not be as tough as marillac would hope he is but that doesnt make him a guard.

I didn't see him post up once. He may have, but I don't remember it.

« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2014, 09:46:07 PM »

I didn't see him post up once. He may have, but I don't remember it.

Absolutely missed Christopher post up ;)

« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2014, 11:45:40 PM »
PG- Jordan
SG- Greene
SF- Harrison
PF- Jones
C- Obekpa

1st off the bench- Pointer, Thomas

Rotation- Branch, Balamou

Next in line- Alibegovic

End of Bench- Delarosa, Delarosa, N'Diaye, Lipscomb
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle