Who starts at the 3?

• 49 replies

desco80

Re: Who starts at the 3?
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2014, 11:49:29 PM »
What is everyone expecting out of Jones? Think he can play the 3 or better suited for the four?

The four. That's all he has ever played. IMO, his ball handling skills preclude the three & I think he would struggle guarding quick perimeter players.

In the little that saw of him, he played like a big guard. Not the biggest, but he showed a nice shooting touch from 10 feet, and the ability to finish in transition. He threw down some powerful dunks if I remember correctly. On defense, he was playing inside, and it seemed as if he'd never played in the paint before. That's why I'm hoping he's improved enough to play the 3. But again, crickets.

Defensively he is a four.  Offensively he thinks of himself as a two and has shown some skills of a three, but he's best suited at the four.  He's got some decent skills, we just need him to be physical and much, much quicker to the ball. 

I dont know where you come up with the idea he thinks of himself as a two on offense? He never floated outside the arc, never tried to bring the ball up, posted up as often as anyone on the team. He might not be as tough as marillac would hope he is but that doesnt make him a guard.

I didn't see him post up once. He may have, but I don't remember it.

Absolutely missed Christopher post up ;)

If Jones isn't a PF (and he obviously is)  then we will be dangerously thin in the front court.
Obekpa, thomas, and....

I don't think ADR is ready for a meaningful role this season, but we'll need him if Obekpa is in foul trouble or gets injured. 

« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2014, 11:53:40 PM »
My reasoning behind things....

-Pointer comes off the bench to provide energy
-I don't think Lav puts Obekpa and Thomas together to start but I like this combo long term. One blocks, other rebounds.
-Jones can come out and be aggressive early and if he's hot he stays and if he's cold then Thomas comes in with Pointer as the spark unit.
-Branch will come in for Greene and play Jordan and Harrison off the ball and attack.
-Alibegovic (can we nickname him yet?) will get minutes because Lav will definitely have a man crush on him.
-Lav never plays true big men much and I think Delarosa's both get buried on bench unless SJU is in extreme foul trouble.
-Balamou will be brought in for quick sand zone.

I hope this team just lets loose and plays at a crazy fast pace. I think if they can wreak havoc pressing this can be the best recipe for getting buckets. It's now or never.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2014, 12:03:12 AM »
PG- Jordan
SG- Greene
SF- Harrison
PF- Jones
C- Obekpa

1st off the bench- Pointer, Thomas

Rotation- Branch, Balamou

Next in line- Alibegovic

End of Bench- Delarosa, Delarosa, N'Diaye, Lipscomb
Aren't you forgetting our much ballyhooed walk-ons Henderson and Stewart?

lihoop

« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2014, 02:10:55 AM »
Ali B would be a possible nickname for Amar

Poison

« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2014, 02:46:26 AM »
PG- Jordan
SG- Greene
SF- Harrison
PF- Jones
C- Obekpa

Next in line- Alibegovic

Yikes. If Thomas isn't expected to start, that's a lot of responsibility for Obekpa.
What about Stewart and Henderson? Shouldn't they be ahead of N'Diaye and Lipscomb on the depth chart at the very least?
Henderson was at one point, a well known 3 star recruit with legit high major offers.

« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2014, 03:25:51 PM »
Greene will start no matter what. In fairness to Lavin SJU has a long established tradition of coaches falling in love with mediocre players. See Louie with Kelly / Moses and Norm with Geno

« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2014, 03:28:35 PM »
Though don't count out some random walk on or redshirt candidate starting against Syracuse or Duke.

« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2014, 03:36:34 PM »
Ali B would be a possible nickname for Amar

I like "Da Ali B".

« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2014, 03:38:09 PM »
What is everyone expecting out of Jones? Think he can play the 3 or better suited for the four?

The four. That's all he has ever played. IMO, his ball handling skills preclude the three & I think he would struggle guarding quick perimeter players.

In the little that saw of him, he played like a big guard. Not the biggest, but he showed a nice shooting touch from 10 feet, and the ability to finish in transition. He threw down some powerful dunks if I remember correctly. On defense, he was playing inside, and it seemed as if he'd never played in the paint before. That's why I'm hoping he's improved enough to play the 3. But again, crickets.

I recall that he had very large biceps.

« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2015, 03:32:09 PM »
PG- Jordan
SG- Greene
SF- Harrison
PF- Jones
C- Obekpa

Next in line- Alibegovic