2014-2015 Expectations Poll

• 20 replies

desco80

2014-2015 Expectations Poll
« on: September 15, 2014, 05:26:55 PM »
We haven't had a good poll in awhile, and I've been deliberately trying to not stir the pot.  But the season is approaching, so let's generate some discussion...

I voted for Option (4); I think our offense struggles worse than last season.  Our win total might be 19, 20, or 21; but if we go 1-7 against our best opponents, it will be another very empty 20-win season.    And that's unfortunately where I see things going.   

It could be worse, 20 wins and missing the tournament is an improvement over the late 2000s
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 05:31:52 PM by desco80 »

Re: 2014-2015 Expectations Poll
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 06:17:12 PM »
A brief appearance in the Top 25; an NCAA bid and an early exit.  Hopefully, we can win one game before being knocked out.

ras

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 08:08:12 PM »
Need to change the choice ,keeping bubble team, but deleting missing NCAAs.

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 10:30:59 AM »
i voted for 1st or 2nd round exit.  Point Guards are the most important players on college.  I think with a year under his belt, and hopefully with little to no distractions, Rysheed will lead us to the promise land.

I think we'll also see greater consistency from Obekpa on the offense.  Showed signs towards end of the year. 

Foad

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 11:40:40 AM »
i voted for 1st or 2nd round exit.  Point Guards are the most important players on college.  I think with a year under his belt, and hopefully with little to no distractions, Rysheed will lead us to the promise land.

Saint John's: where a a first round NCAA tournament loss constitutes the promised land.

And the Lord appeared unto Teslavin and spake: Go in and take possession of the loss that the LORD swore he would give to your fathers—to Carnesseca, Mahoney and Jarvis—and to their descendants after them. Amen.

uwsfan

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 09:47:48 PM »
My expectation is that next year at this time we will be looking forward to the beginning of the Bobby Hurley era at St. Johns

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 11:05:28 PM »
My expectation is that next year at this time we will be looking forward to the beginning of the Bobby Hurley era at St. Johns

Over Danny, or does he turn us down?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 12:32:57 AM »

That's a more realistic expectation compared to your Final 4 expectation from a year ago.

uwsfan

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2014, 12:20:22 PM »

That's a more realistic expectation compared to your Final 4 expectation from a year ago.

Indeed

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2014, 04:02:48 PM »

I think we'll also see greater consistency from Obekpa on the offense
.  Showed signs towards end of the year. 

Particularly at the foul line.

Foad

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2014, 05:29:58 PM »

He was pretty consistent at the foul line last year.

Marillac

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2014, 06:00:36 PM »
This is going to be a great season.  I'm pumped.  I voted for the top 15, Sweet 16 option, but I am not sure we will be ranked that high.  I think we will be right around that range.  The schedule is fantastic...kudos to everyone that put that together.   The only one thing I would have changed is an extra road game to a crappy school for RPI purposes and to help our guys get used to winning in a hostile setting.

The opportunities are there for a very high ranking.  Beat Minnesota and Gonzaga to win the NIT, beat Cuse on the road 12/6 and that will be a top 25 ranking right there with Duke waiting to be upset at MSG on 1/25.  K is too stubborn to zone us. 

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2014, 07:13:44 PM »
This is going to be a great season.  I'm pumped.  I voted for the top 15, Sweet 16 option, but I am not sure we will be ranked that high.  I think we will be right around that range.  The schedule is fantastic...kudos to everyone that put that together.   The only one thing I would have changed is an extra road game to a crappy school for RPI purposes and to help our guys get used to winning in a hostile setting.

The opportunities are there for a very high ranking.  Beat Minnesota and Gonzaga to win the NIT, beat Cuse on the road 12/6 and that will be a top 25 ranking right there with Duke waiting to be upset at MSG on 1/25.  K is too stubborn to zone us.

Your optimism is inspiring.

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2014, 09:35:54 PM »
SJU's goal this year is to win the conference and of course make the NCAA's, period.

Villanova is going to be the hands down favorite and should be.  But SJU has the guns and ammo to beat them this year and be right there (as does Georgetown) for the conference title.

They just have to do it.

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2014, 10:55:33 PM »

On what planet do you reside?

Marillac

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2014, 07:11:52 PM »

The red planet.  We are....
I took your question to come as part of a chant...like "who's house is this?"  If that's not the case, I reside on Earth.

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2014, 08:52:11 PM »

The red planet.  We are....
I took your question to come as part of a chant...like "who's house is this?"  If that's not the case, I reside on Earth.

Maybe I'll buy you orbit the earth but reside on it, I don't think so!   :)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 08:52:43 PM by Celtics11 »

TONYD3

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2014, 09:28:17 PM »
Dont get the negativity. We have plenty of talent. We have good chance in a decent/good conference.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2014, 12:15:29 AM »

He was pretty consistent at the foul line last year.

Now if we can switch the consistency into a positive we will be rocking and rolling...This year is huge and so many ways. I'm glad that Lavin manned up and got a schedule that leaves little doubt of how good we are.  Best the teams we are supposed to and when a few that were not and finish top two in the league we are in. Anything else is a failure.
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2014, 09:33:14 AM »
Team is as well armed as any in the the Big East.  Not sure how we match up with the big boys outside the conference but in my estimation it is time.  Very experienced team, with guys that genuinely like each other.  Key will be playing as a team the entire year.  Not digging an abyss to try to crawl out of like we did last year to start conference play.  Obekpa and Jordan need to stay focused and realize the team is more important and if the team rises they will as well !

Has potential for a cinderella run !