JaKarr Sampson Signs with 76ers

• 139 replies

Moose

Re: JaKarr Sampson Signs with 76ers
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2014, 04:41:59 PM »
He actually played SG because MCW, Grant, Elliot Williams, Hollis Thompson, and Alexy Shved were all injured.  The game was played at Syracuse and the coach said that and the fact that it was against the Knicks figured into Sampson getting the start after a good week of practice.

Orlando vs. Philly pre-season game last night:

Sampson:  4-7 from the field; 1-1 from three point line; 9 points;  five rebounds (one offensive); 1 assist, 1 block,   2 turnovers  in 23 minutes of time. 

Is he going to make the team?

Harkless in the same game:
6 for 13 from the field;  0-2 from three; 2-6 from the point line.  14 points; 7 rebounds (2 offensive);  2 assists, 3 steals; 2 blocks; 1 turnover.    30 minutes of time.  Other than the free throw shooting, that's a pretty good line.

Moe's FT shooting has been abysmal every time I look.

He had been 5 for 6 in the prior three pre-season games.  But last night's efforts was disappointing.  He has get that together if he wants to be a starter/real contributor on a team and get a decent contract.

57% and 59% his first 2 years is bad.  Shaq bad.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2014, 11:18:17 PM »
He actually played SG because MCW, Grant, Elliot Williams, Hollis Thompson, and Alexy Shved were all injured.  The game was played at Syracuse and the coach said that and the fact that it was against the Knicks figured into Sampson getting the start after a good week of practice.

Orlando vs. Philly pre-season game last night:

Sampson:  4-7 from the field; 1-1 from three point line; 9 points;  five rebounds (one offensive); 1 assist, 1 block,   2 turnovers  in 23 minutes of time. 

Harkless in the same game:
6 for 13 from the field;  0-2 from three; 2-6 from the point line.  14 points; 7 rebounds (2 offensive);  2 assists, 3 steals; 2 blocks; 1 turnover.    30 minutes of time.  Other than the free throw shooting, that's a pretty good line.

He has hit some 3s at the NBA longer distance and couldn't hit any for us last year at a shorter distance. Amazing what hard work will do when you start seeing those dollar signs in your head.

Marillac

« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2014, 12:39:07 AM »

No. 

paultzman

« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2014, 04:28:11 PM »
@rumbleSBN: #sjubb RT @PompeyOnSixers: #Sixers coach Brett Brown on Jakarr Sampson: "he’s really put himself into a position  ... to make our roster."

« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2014, 05:38:00 PM »
They've given him an opportunity and he's done well with it.

QuanMan

« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2014, 11:45:39 PM »
Extended interview and highlight from last night in BK below: (Speaks about the program and relationship w Lavs at the 1:54 mark)

http://www.nba.com/sixers/one-one-jakarr-sampson-10/16

http://www.nba.com/video/games/nets/2014/10/21/0011400087-phi-bkn-play6.nba/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Side note for Ron Roberts, Newark, DE is 50 minutes away from South Philly, I fully expect him to be called up with the amount of opportunity on the Sixer bench:

Tom Moore ‏@tmoore76ers  5h5 hours ago
#Sixers Brown talks about @nbadleague when asked about @SJUHawks Ronald Roberts, who is missing 4th straight game w/left quad strain. #76ers

« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 11:49:41 PM by QuanMan »
Section 3
Section 116

Tha Kid

« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2014, 06:19:30 PM »
Looks promising in quotes from his Coach...

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/sixers/20141021_Noel_sits_out_again_as_Sixers_play_Nets.html

"Sampson's strengths

JaKarr Sampson is far from deterred by being an undrafted free agent. The Sixers rookie sees it as just another barrier he'll overcome.

"My back has been against the wall plenty of times in my life," said Sampson, who left St. John's after his sophomore season in March. "So it's nothing new. That's what I live for. That's why I'm thriving. I just use it for motivation."

The 6-foot-9 swingman was averaging 2.8 points, 2.5 rebounds, 1.3 assists and 15.1 minutes heading into Monday's game. Sampson, who failed to score and had three rebounds against Brooklyn, is making his mark on the defensive end.

"I think JaKarr is the one that's impressed me," Brown said of the borderline players. "If we were to go rate who are the best defensive players on the team, he's amongst that handful of players. That counts for something."

Sampson won Big East rookie of the year honors as a freshman with the Red Storm. He finished his college career with 915 points and 420 rebounds.

With the Sixers, he has moved from power forward to swingman and has been a natural defensively. The jovial Sampson has also been a great locker-room guy.

"The thing I respect as much as anything about him, he comes every day with a great personality," Brown said. "He comes with life. He's got spirit. He's got energy. He's just good to coach. He's good to be around. He's great for the group."

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/sixers/20141021_Noel_sits_out_again_as_Sixers_play_Nets.html#8bOFEEM2xULhvykc.99"
"I drink and I know things"

Tha Kid

« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2014, 06:21:57 PM »
@rumbleSBN: #sjubb RT @PompeyOnSixers: #Sixers coach Brett Brown on Jakarr Sampson: "he’s really put himself into a position  ... to make our roster."

Should Sampson be sending Marillac a gift basket for his comment that he wouldn't make the team, which immediately preceded quotes by Coach Brown that he really may now...ha ha
"I drink and I know things"

Marillac

« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2014, 07:51:15 PM »

Should Sampson be sending Marillac a gift basket for his comment that he wouldn't make the team, which immediately preceded quotes by Coach Brown that he really may now...ha ha

Hahaha
I would love to be wrong, but I see this as inevitable whether it is next week or after two months.  He's a great kid.  I'm glad he's finally taken it upon himself to put on some muscle and improve his game, but he's not an NBA player right now.  I will cheer him on like I cheer on all of SJU's alumni.

« Reply #49 on: October 23, 2014, 01:04:03 PM »
Opinion of True Hoops sixers site is that JaKaar will be taking his talents to the D-League

Poison

« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2014, 01:09:29 PM »

Hahaha
I would love to be wrong, but I see this as inevitable whether it is next week or after two months.  He's a great kid.  I'm glad he's finally taken it upon himself to put on some muscle and improve his game, but he's not an NBA player right now.  I will cheer him on like I cheer on all of SJU's alumni.

I wonder who else on his D league team?

« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2014, 07:35:32 PM »
He made the sixers opening night roster!  :o
Congrats to karr. Still a couple days till they tip so there could be some tinkering but as of now he has made through final cuts.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 07:41:05 PM by shaun1345 »

paultzman

« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2014, 07:41:19 PM »
@BrewsterHoops: Congratulations to Brewster grad @KarrSampson14 on earning a spot on the @Sixers roster #NEPSAC http://t.co/ZVQM2JEbW8

desco80

« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2014, 07:54:21 PM »
Wow, great for Jakarr.   Hope he can continue improving and keep his roster spot.

« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2014, 08:01:42 PM »
Congrats JaKarr. Marillac knew you could do it!

Poison

« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2014, 08:04:55 PM »
Way to go Jakarr. Good for you!

redslope

« Reply #56 on: October 27, 2014, 08:38:41 PM »
Great persistence by the undrafted Jakarr--keep up the hard work; it pays off

QuanMan

« Reply #57 on: October 27, 2014, 09:49:23 PM »
Jak believed in himself when it seemed like no one else would.

His persistence through being undrafted and working his way on to an NBA roster is admirable and inspiring.

He is now amongst the best 450 basketball players in the world.

Leaving as a 21 year old college sophomore who spent 2 years at prep school after 4 full HS years shouldn't of upset anyone. Everyone in the St. John's family of supporters should whole heartedly support him, he's now a great representative of the program and is going to practice everyday with the Sixers with a smile on his face and a great attitude.

Congrats Jak!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 10:32:43 PM by QuanMan »
Section 3
Section 116

Tiznow

« Reply #58 on: October 27, 2014, 10:31:34 PM »
It's good for him and a good day for the Program too. 

Poison

« Reply #59 on: October 27, 2014, 10:54:49 PM »
Jak believed in himself when it seemed like no one else would.

His persistence through being undrafted and working his way on to an NBA roster is admirable and inspiring.

He is now amongst the best 450 basketball players in the world.

Leaving as a 21 year old college sophomore who spent 2 years at prep school after 4 full HS years shouldn't of upset anyone. Everyone in the St. John's family of supporters should whole heartedly support him, he's now a great representative of the program and is going to practice everyday with the Sixers with a smile on his face and a great attitude.

Congrats Jak!

Who isn't supporting him?

For the record, I thought it was a careless move too when he left early, and I'm still not convinced that it isn't careless.
Let's remember that until he gets a guaranteed contract, his job is as secure as everyone else's.