Best Small Forward in The Big East

• 46 replies
Best Small Forward in The Big East
« on: September 22, 2014, 07:21:11 PM »
Tough position to rank.
lets hear it

1.) Ledontae Henton PROV - Does a little bit of everything and also does it well. Very good rebounder, very capable shooter. Makes impact on the game without having to dominate the ball.

2.) Roosevelt Jones BUT - Will be interesting to see how he does coming back from injury and adapting to the BE. Shown that he is as versatile a player as there is in this conference.

3.) Josh Hart NOVA - This is a kid that I feel is going to blow up. Will step in nicely in Bell's absence. Reminds me of Kawhi Leonard.

4.) Kellen Dunham BUT - Wasn't sure if I should put him as a SG or SF but went with SF. Really good scorer, not just a shooter, defense is suspect.

5.) Jabril Trawick GTOWN - Chose him over Burton and Harris. Love his toughness and defense. Will be happy to see him graduate.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

QuanMan

Re: Best Small Forward in The Big East
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 07:42:36 PM »
Deonte Burton (SG/SF?) is going to make big strides this year, very strong and versatile.

Brandon Mobley also put on 20 lbs of muscle according to Willard, he could make a quantum leap but needs to speed up his motor.

Idk why I'm in the minority, but Dom is the best defensive guard in the Big East. Absolute ball hawk.
Section 3
Section 116

Poison

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 07:50:48 PM »
Deonte Burton (SG/SF?) is going to make big strides this year, very strong and versatile.

Brandon Mobley also put on 20 lbs of muscle according to Willard, he could make a quantum leap but needs to speed up his motor.

Idk why I'm in the minority, but Dom is the best defensive guard in the Big East. Absolute ball hawk.

At times, Dom was great, but it wasn't often, and it wasn't against top competition. Might be the most overrated player we've had in 20 years.

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 07:56:32 PM »

I couldnt disagree with you more about dom being the best defensive anything in the big east. But thats just me.

Mobley is talented but more of a PF.

Like Burton, almost made my list.

QuanMan

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 07:57:50 PM »
Much like a huge chunk of last year's roster, be it rotation patterns/dispersed playing time, Dom never found his groove, and was in Lavs doghouse by season's end.

Poison, you're using the past tense here, his senior season hasn't even started, Dom is going to go to work this year, trust!
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 08:00:30 PM »
Much like a huge chunk of last year's roster, be it rotation patterns/dispersed playing time, Dom never found his groove, and was in Lavs doghouse by season's end.

Poison, you're using the past tense here, his senior season hasn't even started, Dom is going to go to work this year, trust!

Agree with your fist statement. And hope you are right about your second. SF is my biggest concern this year, but if Dom can bounce back and learn how control himself he could be a big asset.

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 08:09:16 PM »
Tough position to rank.
lets hear it

1.) Ledontae Henton PROV - Does a little bit of everything and also does it well. Very good rebounder, very capable shooter. Makes impact on the game without having to dominate the ball.

2.) Roosevelt Jones BUT - Will be interesting to see how he does coming back from injury and adapting to the BE. Shown that he is as versatile a player as there is in this conference.

3.) Josh Hart NOVA - This is a kid that I feel is going to blow up. Will step in nicely in Bell's absence. Reminds me of Kawhi Leonard.

4.) Kellen Dunham BUT - Wasn't sure if I should put him as a SG or SF but went with SF. Really good scorer, not just a shooter, defense is suspect.

5.) Jabril Trawick GTOWN - Chose him over Burton and Harris. Love his toughness and defense. Will be happy to see him graduate.

Who, who who and who?

TONYD3

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 08:11:43 PM »
Not sure where Dom falls on this list. Think he has a very good season. Dont think he will a liability.

Poison

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2014, 01:41:50 AM »

Why do you think Dom is going to go to work? He has been a hot mess since arriving here. Seniors can get it together, and stranger things have happened, like David Cain, for example. That said, how can any STJ fan who's watched Dom play the last 3 seasons have any expectations anymore?

It would be great for if he could finally realize his potential, but I don't see it. I'd be thrilled if he played well enough to be a 6th man, and a defensive stopper-something he gets a lot of credit for, but actually doesn't do against high major programs.

paultzman

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2014, 08:36:47 AM »

Why do you think Dom is going to go to work? He has been a hot mess since arriving here. Seniors can get it together, and stranger things have happened, like David Cain, for example. That said, how can any STJ fan who's watched Dom play the last 3 seasons have any expectations anymore?

It would be great for if he could finally realize his potential, but I don't see it. I'd be thrilled if he played well enough to be a 6th man, and a defensive stopper-something he gets a lot of credit for, but actually doesn't do against high major programs.

Unfortunately Dom is a good athlete with a low basketball IQ. His decision making is poor & we often confuse his ESPN highlight plays with solid defense. Seldom do guys without basic basketball skills & instincts suddenly blossom. Hope I'm wrong.

pmg911

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2014, 12:31:43 PM »

Mobley has so much potential but he has been a huge disappointment for SHU - kid has a ton of talent and can shoot for a bigger guy.

TONYD3

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2014, 12:33:17 PM »
Can't understand how obekpa is a future number 1 pick and great defender and dom  Is just athletic player who is a bad defender with no basketball IQ. Very similar players to me. Both guys can play smarter. Both need more skill. Both were overrated coming in . Think the hate on dom is going to far.

Wods317

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2014, 01:06:19 PM »
I honestly think Dom is portrayed pretty fairly. He hasn't done anything of note against top competition on a consistent basis in his whole career here. He is athletic but doesn't play smart and is not a threat at all in the half court. He plays hard but he makes freshman type mistakes in getting T'd up and turning the ball over. He just hasn't improved at all really, he came on campus with a low game IQ and no half court game and he is like that entering his senior year. That is on the coaching staff as well but hopefully he can contribute this year but I don't see him playing a whole lot. Tony you are right about Obepka too, has some skill but doesn't rebound or score very well. He has more potential then Dom but in year 3, it is now or never for him I think.

desco80

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2014, 01:08:19 PM »
Dom has his faults, clearly.   But his game has improved.  His ball handling is noticeably better, and his foul shooting has gone from 54% to 65% to 73% last season.     

We have a ton of guys on our roster who barely improve at all, that cannot be said about Dom Pointer.   

He has his weaknesses as a player, but far too often he has been asked to play out of position, which only magnifies those weaknesses.    We ask him to bring the ball up and we don't run plays for pointer on offense, and on defense he's asked to guard smaller quicker point guards or play the top of the zone, which leaves him too far from the basket to be a factor on the boards.

This team has bigger problems than Dom Pointer.   He's unselfish, is asked to play out of position, and he's improved each season.   I can live with that.

Foad

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2014, 01:43:45 PM »
He hasn't done anything of note against top competition on a consistent basis in his whole career here.

Except throw punches

« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2014, 04:45:18 PM »

This team has bigger problems than Dom Pointer.   He's unselfish, is asked to play out of position, and he's improved each season.   I can live with that.

Desco, didn"t dom pretty much play exclusively small forward last year? And man, he improved? No way in hell did he improve over his sophomore year. No way!

Poison

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2014, 06:55:43 PM »
Dom has his faults, clearly.   But his game has improved.  His ball handling is noticeably better, and his foul shooting has gone from 54% to 65% to 73% last season.     

We have a ton of guys on our roster who barely improve at all, that cannot be said about Dom Pointer.   

He has his weaknesses as a player, but far too often he has been asked to play out of position, which only magnifies those weaknesses.    We ask him to bring the ball up and we don't run plays for pointer on offense, and on defense he's asked to guard smaller quicker point guards or play the top of the zone, which leaves him too far from the basket to be a factor on the boards.

Defenders give Dom as much room as he wants to shoot the ball, and he won't shoot it. He doesn't start for good reason. That's just one of them.

TONYD3

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2014, 08:07:03 PM »
I can find major faults with all of our players. That's why we didn't make the tournament. For some reason it bothers me that certain guys are held at high such high regard and others aren't. Dom hasn't lived up to the hype, neither has Jordan, and definitely not Obekpa. These guys are potential lottery picks and Dom is a dummy. This makes no sense to me. They all have to play well and get better for us to be good.
I have more faith in Dom. I like toughness. I like Charles Oakley types not Marcus Camby type forwards.
This team goes as far as Harrison and Jordan can take them.If they play well we are going to have fun. If not it doesnt matter who starts at the 4 or the 3.

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2014, 08:18:15 PM »

I have more faith in Dom. I like toughness. I like Charles Oakley types not Marcus Camby type forwards.

Marcus Camby boxed out more times in one game than Dom has in full seasons.

desco80

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2014, 08:52:09 PM »

Desco, didn"t dom pretty much play exclusively small forward last year? And man, he improved? No way in hell did he improve over his sophomore year. No way!

He played more sf than in either of the previous two seasons, that's true.  But when have we ever run a play for dom? 
My recollection is that any time he shot the ball iy was because the other options weren't open, and he had to throw up a prayer with the shot clock winding down.

Listen, he's a flawed player, I'm not saying otherwise.  I just think he's unselfish and has improved his game, and I respect that. I also truly think he has been utilized wrong.
He's also a bit of a punk on the court, and he loses some respect from me there.  but frankly that seems to be contagious with this team.