Which newcomer will have the biggest impact?

• 40 replies

Poison

Re: Which newcomer will have the biggest impact?
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2014, 07:57:27 PM »
thomas, because I believe he will be good and he is at a position that is open. The other positions would be hard for a newcomer to be a starter unless they were a 5 star recruit. One could argue the 3 is a little weak, but we will be playing a lot of three guard lineups. And the only newcomer who might be considered a 3 is Amar. Hopefully Adonis could get in shape, because CO is foul prone. I wouldn't be surprised if we see Jones at the 4 and Thomas at the 5 sometimes.

Agree,
Branch
Rysheed
DLO
Jones
Thomas

Our best offensive lineup.

What makes you put Thomas and Jones on this list?

Ive spoke out about Jones all year. Think he is a good player and is offensively talented. And any lineup that has Obekpa in it, though I like him, is already at a disadvantage offensively.

I hope he can be. It has been very quiet regarding his progress. That's not Lavin's style. IMO, Lavin needs either Jones or Balamou to the show the ability to be a double figure scorer in 15/16. That's asking a lot.

Poison

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2014, 07:58:46 PM »
Question for the board: Is this the least heralded STJ recruiting class ever?

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2014, 07:59:44 PM »
I think we are committed to a 3-guard offense. Ideally D'Lo and Sheed will always be on the court, barring foul trouble. Then you rotate Branch, PGIV and Pointer in the 3rd spot. Up front, you have Keith, Obekpa as starters, with Christian Jones and ADR as first two bigs off the bench.
Hopefully we tighten the rotation this year too. Those nine names above should really get 90% of the minutes.

Last year 7 players got 85 percent of the minutes. How is 9 players getting 90 percent of the minutes tightening the rotation up?

To make it even easier to understand last year the top 8 played over 90% of the available minutes.

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2014, 08:04:32 PM »
PS Foad, what happened to BEB?

Foad

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2014, 09:30:47 PM »
what happened to BEB?

Currently suspended for some dB usage TOS violation I as of yet CBA to unfubar. Meanwhile I'm considering converting to a subscription based print model, which I think will be the next big thing.

desco80

« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2014, 10:58:31 AM »

Well, assuming Marillac's scouting report is a bit bullish, and Keith Thomas doesn't turn into Charles Barkley, then yea.. it's pretty disappointing.
Very Norm-esque.    A big man project, a juco, a foreigner, and walkons.   I've seen that before.   

Poison

« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2014, 12:45:34 PM »

Well, assuming Marillac's scouting report is a bit bullish, and Keith Thomas doesn't turn into Charles Barkley, then yea.. it's pretty disappointing.
Very Norm-esque.    A big man project, a juco, a foreigner, and walkons.   I've seen that before.   

I think in regards to expectations, the class is as low as ever, and possibly lower than the Tyshawn Edmonson class. But, Lavin is a better recruiter than Norm was. We'll have to hope that his ability to evaluate talent, or someone's is pretty strong. Thomas, Amir, Jones, and Delarosa are all sleepers. Stewart and Henderson are sleepers, too.

I think Lavin plans to upgrade either Stewart or Henderson eventually. He is giving them a chance to earn it. I like that.

« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2014, 01:19:40 PM »
over 90% of us have gone with Thomas. If this was a race track I would say bet the field,

« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2014, 01:26:15 PM »

I think in regards to expectations, the class is as low as ever, and possibly lower than the Tyshawn Edmonson class. But, Lavin is a better recruiter than Norm was. We'll have to hope that his ability to evaluate talent, or someone's is pretty strong. Thomas, Amir, Jones, and Delarosa are all sleepers. Stewart and Henderson are sleepers, too.

I think Lavin plans to upgrade either Stewart or Henderson eventually. He is giving them a chance to earn it. I like that.
So we recruited 6 sleepers in one class? That means all six were underrated and will turn out to be much better than anticipated. Sounds like a billion to one shot in anyone's recruiting class.

Poison

« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2014, 01:33:37 PM »

So we recruited 6 sleepers in one class? That means all six were underrated and will turn out to be much better than anticipated. Sounds like a billion to one shot in anyone's recruiting class.

Lavin likes the walk on story. I think a lot of people do too. He's used a walk on more than once as a starter to make a point. 2 years ago, the team didn't get the point. Last year, they built up a nice winning streak shortly after the Georgetown walk on stunt. Not saying I agree with it. Just saying that I expect to see Stewart and Henderson see action. IDK when, but it's Lavin's style to do it.

And FWIW, I've posted this before, but Henderson isn't just some walk on scrub. He was offered by high major schools, and some damn good ones, too. Why would it surprise anyone if he turned out to be a good BE player?

Foad

« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2014, 02:11:27 PM »

Lavin likes the walk on story. I think a lot of people do too. He's used a walk on more than once as a starter to make a point. 2 years ago, the team didn't get the point. Last year, they built up a nice winning streak shortly after the Georgetown walk on stunt. Not saying I agree with it. Just saying that I expect to see Stewart and Henderson see action. IDK when, but it's Lavin's style to do it.

And FWIW, I've posted this before, but Henderson isn't just some walk on scrub. He was offered by high major schools, and some damn good ones, too. Why would it surprise anyone if he turned out to be a good BE player?

They lost three games straight after Georgetown: Nova, DePaul, PU. Starting the walkon had nothing to do with beating Dartmouth two weeks later. Dartmouth sucking had something to do with beating Dartmouth.

Poison

« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2014, 03:01:25 PM »

They lost three games straight after Georgetown: Nova, DePaul, PU. Starting the walkon had nothing to do with beating Dartmouth two weeks later. Dartmouth sucking had something to do with beating Dartmouth.

I didn't say that it was a great move. My point is that Lavin has it in him to give walk ons a chance, and he often does so to prove a point. Whether or not he proves that point, clearly isn't the one I'm trying to make. Henderson and Stewart will probably get some burn at some point.

« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2014, 05:13:35 PM »

I didn't say that it was a great move. My point is that Lavin has it in him to give walk ons a chance, and he often does so to prove a point. Whether or not he proves that point, clearly isn't the one I'm trying to make. Henderson and Stewart will probably get some burn at some point.

Lavin apparently cares more about making points than winning.  His walkon fixation must have come after he watched "Rudy" about 50 times

Foad

« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2014, 05:18:30 PM »

He does so because he's run out of other things to try. If the walk on plays great, he's a great coach. If the walk on doesn't play great, he's a great teacher. It's completely cynical, opportunistic and stupid.

Poison

« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2014, 05:47:44 PM »

He does so because he's run out of other things to try. If the walk on plays great, he's a great coach. If the walk on doesn't play great, he's a great teacher. It's completely cynical, opportunistic and stupid.

Remember the day. We agree.

« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2014, 06:21:49 PM »

Or option (c), he's an idiot.  Which seemed to be the majority opinion.

cjfish

« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2014, 08:23:28 PM »
Thomas should be a major contributor, 8 and 6 minimum, big upside.  AD should not be underrated, upside huge, Im thinking 4 and 3 minimum.  However, Ive always been a huge optimist.

TONYD3

« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2014, 08:11:09 AM »
The crazy bashing of Lavin bothers me. He doesn't deserve all the hate. However any time he gets more then a little praise it bothers me much more.

Poison

« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2014, 08:21:30 AM »
I think we are committed to a 3-guard offense. Ideally D'Lo and Sheed will always be on the court, barring foul trouble. Then you rotate Branch, PGIV and Pointer in the 3rd spot. Up front, you have Keith, Obekpa as starters, with Christian Jones and ADR as first two bigs off the bench.
Hopefully we tighten the rotation this year too. Those nine names above should really get 90% of the minutes.
This is what a sane person would do. Their really isnt any other option. If Lavin does this, I think we win big east. If not He has to go.

We can't fire him if he doesn't win the BE. That's ridiculous.

TONYD3

« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2014, 10:10:23 AM »
I didn't explain myself correctly. I think if he coaches smart we will be successful and have a good chance at big east.