Midnight Madness

• 86 replies

Moose

Re: Midnight Madness
« Reply #60 on: October 18, 2014, 02:18:45 PM »
Half the South Bronx was there last night.  The Delarosa family with 2 big poles with flags and drums.

Shocked they got those items thru the robo cop security.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #61 on: October 18, 2014, 02:39:46 PM »
Half the South Bronx was there last night.  The Delarosa family with 2 big poles with flags and drums.

If our fans would get half as excited as his family did our games would be so much better.

That said he is a perfect example of why we need to keep home grown talent. Fans and family come out. Think about the 11/12 team. Most those guys were local: Burrell, hardy, boothe. And those who weren't were from nearby: Evans, DJ, Horne. Local guys bring out fans.

Poison

« Reply #62 on: October 18, 2014, 02:48:24 PM »

If our fans would get half as excited as his family did our games would be so much better.

That said he is a perfect example of why we need to keep home grown talent. Fans and family come out. Think about the 11/12 team. Most those guys were local: Burrell, hardy, boothe. And those who weren't were from nearby: Evans, DJ, Horne. Local guys bring out fans.

Winning brings out fans. Hill, Geno, FX and Monte were also local.

« Reply #63 on: October 18, 2014, 04:49:50 PM »
Dave,

You don't think Keith Thomas has the ability to post up and score? I was hoping he would be a guy we could dump it down to for a bucket. Use  him like Ty Grant almost. Probably not as savy as Ty but I was hoping he could at least bully some guys down low.

It was my first time seeing him play so I wouldn't say my opinion on him is final but didn't appear at first glance he had great footwork nor an extreme comfort with ball in his hands. I think he fills in for Sanchez nicely and serves more of a focused need.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #64 on: October 18, 2014, 05:02:40 PM »
Best turnout for midnight madness at SJU I've ever seen. While I didn't really know any of French Montana the students sure did and atmosphere was incredible.

I thought the basketball portion of the even was sub-par. The school really needs a better plan than just rolling out the ball and need to establish some annual traditions whether it be a dance, a chant, something freshman have to do, etc. At the very least they should have kept the music going while the guys ran full court.

I was impressed with physical condition of D'Angelo and Rysheed. D'Angelo was throwing down some dunks when I haven't seen him make an above the rim play in 3 years. I was surprised.

-Dom & Phil look like Dom and Phil. They're gonna miss some shots and make you scratch your head.

-Branch and Obekpa are two guys I want to see more involved in offensive flow this year. I'm hopeful that Branch will be able to be on the ball and get Jordan and Harrison in full go mode on the wings. Obekpa should get some more touches too. He will play with more energy on both ends with some early touches.

-Keith Thomas looks like he'll be good to rebound and run the floor. Doesn't look like he's contributing too much else.

-Neither Delarosa is seeing the floor this year.

-Walk-On Myles Stewart is better than I expected. Should definitely help push guards in practice.

Neither Delarosa or who??

Are you saying that Delarosa is out of shape and can't run the floor? You may be right, but I bet you he sees the floor. Obekpa isn't avoiding foul trouble in every single game.

What about Henderson? Alibegovic? Jones?

Well Joey is nothing more than a big body to bang up against in practice.

If Obekpa gets into foul trouble I'd expect them to run smaller with Thomas and Jones. Adonis will get most of his run in early out of conference. He needs to get into better shape.

Henderson will be another good guy for practice as Linscomb & NDiaye are. I was most surprised with Myles Stewart. He's got some potential. I want to see him get shots up in games because his stroke looked pretty good.

Can we come up with a nickname for Albi already? He looks solid and he looked like a freshman. He took a sweet pic in the student section too. I hope he puts that on IG.

« Reply #65 on: October 18, 2014, 05:08:52 PM »
Best turnout for midnight madness at SJU I've ever seen. While I didn't really know any of French Montana the students sure did and atmosphere was incredible.

I thought the basketball portion of the even was sub-par. The school really needs a better plan than just rolling out the ball and need to establish some annual traditions whether it be a dance, a chant, something freshman have to do, etc. At the very least they should have kept the music going while the guys ran full court.

I was impressed with physical condition of D'Angelo and Rysheed. D'Angelo was throwing down some dunks when I haven't seen him make an above the rim play in 3 years. I was surprised.

-Dom & Phil look like Dom and Phil. They're gonna miss some shots and make you scratch your head.

-Branch and Obekpa are two guys I want to see more involved in offensive flow this year. I'm hopeful that Branch will be able to be on the ball and get Jordan and Harrison in full go mode on the wings. Obekpa should get some more touches too. He will play with more energy on both ends with some early touches.

-Keith Thomas looks like he'll be good to rebound and run the floor. Doesn't look like he's contributing too much else.

-Walk-On Myles Stewart is better than I expected. Should definitely help push guards in practice.

It was the loudest I've ever heard at St John's...the crowd was really enthusiastic.  That had to impress some of the recruits.  I had a chance to walk around the campus.  It's big league impressive.

I agree, the school should do more than roll out the balls.  The dunk contest was cringe worthy.  What do other (big) schools do?

I'll be the first to admit, i'm no evaluator of talent.  Some things do jump out, however.  Dom Pointer looked much better than last season.  He's a big time talent.  The bad news is he has developed a three point shot that went in at will at the beginning.  He started missing later on.  I don't know whether adding this to his repetoir will help or hurt the team.  He pretty much quit at the dunk contest...the way the team quit last year.  I don't see that as a good sign.

Obekpa looked like a dominator.  He's also way ahead of last year.  I won't buy the Lavin BS that he's never seen a player improve so much over over the summer as Obekpa.  He said the same about Branch last year.  Stop, already!  I will say I was impressed.

Walk on Myles Stewart also impressed me.  I'd say, based on last night's defenseless exhibition, he was at least as good as anyone out there. ..at least last night.  Of course, he wanted to make an impression, which he did.  Adonis also tried to impress...making more shots than anyone in the "game" where no one played any "d".   Harrison didn't need to make an impression, so he didn't.  He's obviously a leader.  Green is the same as last year.  Don't look for much from the Serbian kid...the other Delerosa...or any of the walkons.  Rasheed can play.  I saw Thomas play in real games, albiet against a different level of talent, he'll be fine.

A better MC and better planning/execution on basketball side of things would have made this event from an 9 to a 10. In different years SJU has excelled in different areas. Getting John Anderson was great MC but music performance was weak or alumni game last year but they didn't have an announcer. Little things but it was best yet by far.

« Reply #66 on: October 18, 2014, 05:11:52 PM »
For anybody following D'angelo on Instagram:

http://instagram.com/p/uTXsnmwnSv/

I don't even know what is going on here.

Foad

« Reply #67 on: October 18, 2014, 05:25:04 PM »
Can we come up with a nickname for Albi already?

The Bosian Mitochondrian.

Perhaps an anagram would be better

Clinton's favorite: Labia Cigar Move

Oxynice personic: Amicable Virago

Today's Special: Caviar Megaboil

Oprah's Latest Production: Racial Gab Movie

Hiccup: A Bar Magic Olive

From the Yellow Submarine: Magical Oar Vibe

« Reply #68 on: October 18, 2014, 05:54:10 PM »
Boz

« Reply #69 on: October 18, 2014, 06:19:19 PM »
For anybody following D'angelo on Instagram:

http://instagram.com/p/uTXsnmwnSv/

I don't even know what is going on here.

Dlo went up for a jam. Rysheed gave him a boost from below.

« Reply #70 on: October 18, 2014, 07:52:05 PM »

Are you saying that Delarosa is out of shape and can't run the floor? You may be right, but I bet you he sees the floor. Obekpa isn't avoiding foul trouble in every single game.

If Obekpa gets into foul trouble I'd expect them to run smaller with Thomas and Jones. Adonis will get most of his run in early out of conference. He needs to get into better shape.

Henderson will be another good guy for practice as Linscomb & NDiaye are. I was most surprised with Myles Stewart. He's got some potential. I want to see him get shots up in games because his stroke looked pretty good.

Can we come up with a nickname for Albi already? He looks solid and he looked like a freshman. He took a sweet pic in the student section too. I hope he puts that on IG.

Ive said since the first time we got Stewart that he looks like much more than a walk-on. Good size, athleticism, and nice looking stroke.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Poison

« Reply #71 on: October 18, 2014, 07:56:50 PM »

Yes, we can. You just did. Albi. It's a great nickname.

I'll post my observations on Tuesday night. Glad to hear there are some diamonds in the rough.

« Reply #72 on: October 18, 2014, 08:04:06 PM »
this video has the highlights from last night

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxr5xkoTkwE&feature=youtu.be

« Reply #73 on: October 18, 2014, 09:27:17 PM »
Everyone I talked to about last night says it was a Class A job by Coach Lavin, staff and school.

Tremendous job.

« Reply #74 on: October 18, 2014, 11:52:35 PM »
Wasn't mines but "Da Ali B".

From this snakebit franchise I'm just happy to come out of it in one piece.  People propelling D'lo above the rim is cringe worthy.  I'll never forget Maybank.

Moose

« Reply #75 on: October 19, 2014, 01:21:45 PM »
Also should note that Keady was not announced as a staff member.  I heard a few weeks ago that he likely wouldn't be around as much.  Nothing is wrong with him I was told.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #76 on: October 19, 2014, 05:15:15 PM »
Also should note that Keady was not announced as a staff member.  I heard a few weeks ago that he likely wouldn't be around as much.  Nothing is wrong with him I was told.
Getting married is what's wrong... yes dear, yes dear, we'll spend a lot of time together dear... not that there's anything ...  :2funny: 

Poison

« Reply #77 on: October 19, 2014, 08:05:08 PM »
Mel Davis gone too. Disappointing. They need to replace them w names.

Marillac

« Reply #78 on: October 20, 2014, 01:52:23 AM »
Dave,

You don't think Keith Thomas has the ability to post up and score? I was hoping he would be a guy we could dump it down to for a bucket. Use  him like Ty Grant almost. Probably not as savy as Ty but I was hoping he could at least bully some guys down low.

It was my first time seeing him play so I wouldn't say my opinion on him is final but didn't appear at first glance he had great footwork nor an extreme comfort with ball in his hands. I think he fills in for Sanchez nicely and serves more of a focused need.

Wrong on both accounts yet again.
The kid has very good footwork and is  fundamentally sound.  He is also very solid with the ball in his hands as a shooter and as a passer. 

« Reply #79 on: October 20, 2014, 09:51:12 AM »
Dave,

Wrong on both accounts yet again.
The kid has very good footwork and is  fundamentally sound.  He is also very solid with the ball in his hands as a shooter and as a passer. 

Just like Gods'gift?