Anyone have any info on this thing on Tuesday at the garden?

• 53 replies
Anyone have any info on this thing on Tuesday at the garden?
« on: October 20, 2014, 10:46:35 AM »
Anyone know?

Re: Anyone have any info on this thing on Tuesday at the garden?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 10:53:26 AM »
they practice until around 6, you can watch that, they give you a duffel bag, you can eat some food, you can walk around msg, you can get an autograph

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 05:43:29 PM »
From the email they sent:

-watch practice
-meet and greet session after
-you can take a tour of MSG
-complementary concessions
-you can pick up your season ticket holder gift
-learn about their new online ticketing
-if you're a new season ticket holder you can select your MSG seats
-you have to be a season ticket holder and had to have RSVP'd

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 12:05:33 PM »
So they are going to try and hit me up for some Do-Re-Mi...

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 09:50:54 PM »
So this was really fun.

They had practice as well as a scrimmage in the middle. Fratto was there doing the announcing. They had a half hour MSG tour if you wanted which included visits to the locker room, the concourse with the 366, the bridge and the beer fridge.

They gave us $12 free concessions voucher. They had hot dogs and nachos but no pretzels. Dagger.

After the practice was over Lavin did a long Q&A. I can't argue that he is a very likeable guy when he speaks. He talked about things ranging from attacking the zone, free throws, where the students live, if he will name a captain and much more. Some guy taped the whole thing on his cell phone so that could be on YouTube soon. Lavin said they want to make this event a yearly thing which I think would be great. I feel like a fun time was had by all. 

After the Q&A they made Harrison, Obekpa, Thomas, Amar, Adonis & Felix available for autographs and photos.  They said some of the kids had to go back to campus for classes. All the guys were awesome and having a good time. Especially Harrison and Obekpa who were a ton of fun to talk to and get pictures with. Thomas was fun to talk to as well. Felix was the most reserved. He was laid back and chill and was just enjoying talking to the people who wanted. Adonis really loved that I was a CK graduate, he has a great personality as well. Basically all the kids are awesome.

Oh yeah, Briscoe was there with his dad and two friends(?). I saw Lavs wife talking and sitting with his dad while Lav was doing Q&A. Get it done Mrs Lav.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 09:55:52 PM by HowCouldUBeSoHarkless »

bk8664

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 09:53:54 PM »
How many people attending this?  I was stuck at work, couldn't make it.

Poison

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 10:06:50 PM »
Here are my notes from today's practice.

First off, it was a lot of fun to watch the guys run drills, and encourage each other. Yes, this was a practice/performance, but I can share what I saw, and learned FWIW. Overall, the scrimmage was sloppy, but there were several bright points from the afternoon:

For starters:

- St.John's will look to continue this tradition of inviting season ticket holders to a practice at MSG
- You can now send someone your St.John's tickets electronically
- Isaiah Briscoe was in attendance along with another recruit (IDK who it was, anyone? Plus, some nice person actually asked coach about Briscoe. Coach can't talk about a player who hasn't signed on a LOI. Shouldn't we all know this by now?

Obekpa - Had a great attitude during practice, and really showed a genuine interest in playing on sides of the ball. He scored, passed, and of course blocked shots. I'm saying I see a double double, but 8 and 9 w 4 blocks isn't crazy.

Harrison - Also had a great attitude and seemed to really enjoy practicing in front of his fans. As per usual D'Angelo is in great shape, and scored from all over the court.

Greene - His jumper was falling from all over.

Dom - Dom looked really good. Rebounded, went strong to the basket and passed well. Amar while racing for a loose ball sent Dom flying. He was ok, but not happy about it. He reminded the kid not to do that to him.

Jones - Lavin told us he had knee surgery two weeks ago. He has not played any ball
since, and have no time table on when he will, if at all. He seamed pretty depressed sitting there on the sidelines. Hopefully, he can get back out there soon.

Balamou - He played guard in the scrimmage and looked fine. Scored a couple of baskets off the dribble, and defended well.

Jordan - He was fine. Went strong to the basket and passed well.

Branch - I can see why Lavin had such high hopes for him last year. He practices really well. He's fast, and intense in the workouts and his circus shots go down almost every time.

New Guys:

Amar Alibegovic - Those who laughed at this addition may be eating their words. He can play. He looked like a twig in the photo we saw over the summer, but he's a big man who can face the basket and stick a three, which he did BTW.

Keith Thomas - He reminded me of Ron Roberts. Even looks like him, too. He has some offensive game, but unfortunately for him Obekpa was guarding him so many of shots were blocked.

Adonis Delarosa - Looked like a cross between Shawnelle Scott and Curtis Johnson, but with Curtis Johnson's meal plan. Coach said he was impressed with him and Amar, but did acknowledge that he needs to lose weight. That much is completely obvious.

Joey Delarosa - Big dude. I didn't notice any offense, but he was holding his ground defensively, so he'll push the bigs in practice, and who knows? Even Albert Richardson had moments of glory, if not greatness.

Myles Stewart - Again, those that laughed will be surprised. He can play. This kid is big, and he's pretty fluid. I was surprised that he walked on to play at St.John's. Does he expect to earn a ship next year? If so, good move.

Jay Henderson - And again, another guy who could have gone to strong programs on a free ride came here, and I'm damn glad he did. Kid can shoot the rock, and he can put it on the floor. He hit at least 2 threes.

Mystery Big Man? There was a big man running drills with the team. He's about 6'6/6'7 or so. Looked ok. Anyone know who this is? He's a walk on.

Depth. There is tremendous depth on this team right now. Lavin has a full roster, and at least two walk ons with game. It's going to be a fun year. I might have left someone out, but that's what I got.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 10:43:36 PM by Poison »

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2014, 10:36:11 PM »
- Isaiah Briscoe was in attendance along with another recruit (IDK who it was, anyone? Plus, some nice person actually asked coach about Briscoe. Coach can't talk about a player who hasn't signed on a LOI. Shouldn't we all know this by now?

Poison are you serious, someone asked Coach to comment on an unsigned recruit (Briscoe)?

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2014, 10:36:21 PM »
Thanks for the reports...much appreciated
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2014, 10:37:31 PM »
great recap Poison

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2014, 10:38:06 PM »

Poison are you serious, someone asked Coach to comment on an unsigned recruit (Briscoe)?
guarantee that was a member of the sites

Poison

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2014, 10:42:21 PM »

Yes, I'm serious. The same guy who filmed the entire Q&A.

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2014, 10:48:18 PM »
Different guy. I sat nearby them both. The question was absurd and the guy filming was especially ridiculous. Lavin handled it correctly

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2014, 11:08:46 PM »
The dude filming the QA was a complete d-bag.

Moose

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2014, 11:39:50 PM »
The guy with IB was Kashif Pratt.  You might remember him from Rice and Seton Hall.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2014, 04:39:18 AM »
Mystery Big Man? There was a big man running drills with the team. He's about 6'6/6'7 or so. Looked ok. Anyone know who this is? He's a walk on.

Khadim Ndiaye?

http://www.redstormsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/khadim_ndiaye_825258.html
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 04:56:57 AM by gonzalo »

Moose

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2014, 06:43:32 AM »

Khadim Ndiaye?

http://www.redstormsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/khadim_ndiaye_825258.html

No.
There was another two walk-ons.  #30 was pretty impressive in terms of athleticism.
Remember who broke the Slice news

paultzman

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2014, 09:35:57 AM »
Great reports guys!

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2014, 09:40:05 AM »
I would add Jordan and harrison taking lots of extra 3s after the scrimage.  Jordan was hitting consistently from all over.  Shot appears improved.  Dom also showed greater arch on shot (desparately needed).