Anyone have any info on this thing on Tuesday at the garden?

• 53 replies

boo3

Re: Anyone have any info on this thing on Tuesday at the garden?
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2014, 10:28:48 AM »
 Thanks for the recap, Poison and others... good stuff.. Season can't start soon enough w/ local football being pretty bad.

Poison

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2014, 11:05:11 AM »
Mystery Big Man? There was a big man running drills with the team. He's about 6'6/6'7 or so. Looked ok. Anyone know who this is? He's a walk on.

Khadim Ndiaye?

http://www.redstormsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/khadim_ndiaye_825258.html

No.
There was another two walk-ons.  #30 was pretty impressive in terms of athleticism.

Yes, that's the guy. He looked like an undersized PF.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 11:05:46 AM by Poison »

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2014, 11:54:17 AM »

great stuff, everyone!

« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2014, 12:17:58 PM »
For starters:

- St.John's will look to continue this tradition of inviting season ticket holders to a practice at MSG

Was there any mention of inviting poor yet loyal fans without season tickets that attend many games a year?

Thanks for the great write-ups guys!

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2014, 12:31:29 PM »
Mystery Big Man? There was a big man running drills with the team. He's about 6'6/6'7 or so. Looked ok. Anyone know who this is? He's a walk on.

Khadim Ndiaye?

http://www.redstormsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/khadim_ndiaye_825258.html

No.
There was another two walk-ons.  #30 was pretty impressive in terms of athleticism.
Finally, the mystery recruit is uncovered! But alas, we still don't know his identity!  :)

desco80

« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2014, 01:30:48 PM »
Thanks for the recap guys.

Tiznow

« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2014, 08:07:40 PM »
- Isaiah Briscoe was in attendance along with another recruit (IDK who it was, anyone? Plus, some nice person actually asked coach about Briscoe. Coach can't talk about a player who hasn't signed on a LOI. Shouldn't we all know this by now?

Poison are you serious, someone asked Coach to comment on an unsigned recruit (Briscoe)?

Yes, I'm serious. The same guy who filmed the entire Q&A.

Reliable sources have identified Baldi.   I'm not sure it is truthful.

« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2014, 08:11:01 PM »
- Isaiah Briscoe was in attendance along with another recruit (IDK who it was, anyone? Plus, some nice person actually asked coach about Briscoe. Coach can't talk about a player who hasn't signed on a LOI. Shouldn't we all know this by now?

Poison are you serious, someone asked Coach to comment on an unsigned recruit (Briscoe)?

Baldi's jungle career is over. He's getting married this weekend and his future wife has limited him to posting on 20 sites and we didn't make the cut

« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2014, 08:23:45 PM »

Baldi's jungle career is over. He's getting married this weekend and his future wife has limited him to posting on 20 sites and we didn't make the cut

Congrats Marco!  Best always for you and the future Mrs. B.

P.S.  Any truth to the rumor that Wasju is the best man?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 08:25:06 PM by carmineabbatiello »

« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2014, 08:58:32 PM »

I need to ask Baldi about a wedding reception after party - I'm guessing Junior's Bar and Grill  :P

« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 09:03:03 PM by wwalwyn »

Marillac

« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2014, 09:51:01 PM »
Wow, thanks Poison and Harkless and everyone one else for the reports.  It's really appreciated.

FWIW, ESPN describes Olisa Nwachie as "an undersized 5 man with good length and soft hands.  He is a physical specimen while operating in the paint area...."  And he's a lefty? Music to my ears! These are the kinds of gems that slip through the cracks. 

I'm extremely impressed with the quality walkons Lavin has delivered.  Lipscomb is a low to mid-major scholarship player IMO and I like all the videos, reports, and articles about Stewart and Nwachie.  Henderson seems like a kid that could be playing for free at a low to mid-major this season and possibly even high level D-1 in two years if he went the Juco route.  Add JDR a former top 150 recruit, and Ndiaye is no slouch himself.  You have to love that these kids come from monster programs too.  Wheeler (where Lipscomb's dad coaches) is a GA powerhouse and Westchester (Stewart and Polee) and Fairfax (Nwachie) have a ton of NBA and high-major basketball alumni.

Practice is going to be a different world.  It's a good year to be able to get so many talented walkons experience to make the transition to next season more smooth.

Dom was playing the four (best news from this)...who was he matched up with?

« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2014, 09:57:04 PM »
Wow, thanks Poison and Harkless and everyone one else for the reports.  It's really appreciated.

FWIW, ESPN describes Olisa Nwachie as "an undersized 5 man with good length and soft hands.  He is a physical specimen while operating in the paint area...."  And he's a lefty? Music to my ears! These are the kinds of gems that slip through the cracks. 

I'm extremely impressed with the quality walkons Lavin has delivered.  Lipscomb is a low to mid-major scholarship player IMO and I like all the videos, reports, and articles about Stewart and Nwachie.  Henderson seems like a kid that could be playing for free at a low to mid-major this season and possibly even high level D-1 in two years if he went the Juco route.  Add JDR a former top 150 recruit, and Ndiaye is no slouch himself.  You have to love that these kids come from monster programs too.  Wheeler (where Lipscomb's dad coaches) is a GA powerhouse and Westchester (Stewart and Polee) and Fairfax (Nwachie) have a ton of NBA and high-major basketball alumni.

Practice is going to be a different world.  It's a good year to be able to get so many talented walkons experience to make the transition to next season more smooth.

Marillac, ive got Stewart as being the best walkon of the bunch. I take it youve got Henderson. Want to make a wadger?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Moose

« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2014, 10:18:52 PM »

It was
Dee
Sheed
Phil
Dom
Chris

Vs.
ADR
Keith
Jay
Felix
Jamal

Amar came off bench for this team and him and Keith matched up with Dom
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 10:23:44 PM by Moose »
Remember who broke the Slice news

Marillac

« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2014, 10:54:45 PM »

Marillac, ive got Stewart as being the best walkon of the bunch. I take it youve got Henderson. Want to make a wadger?

I'll take Nwachie. It's so early, but I'd rank them:  Nwachie>Stewart>Lipscomb>Henderson   

Did a little search and found out that both Stewart and Nwachie were 2nd team All-Western League as juniors, and Nwachie was 1st team as a senior while Stewart was a 2nd team honoree again.  There was so much talent on both of those teams for them to go under the radar.  Lindsey Drew, Larry's little brother, is the #24 PG in the country and is undecided beginning his senior season at Fairfax.  I like what I see.

Also saw that Nwachie went for 19 pts and 18 boards against top 100 PG Tra Holder's Brentwood team.  Averaged 17 and 8 as a senior.  Here is a full game of him:  http://www.ncsasports.org/mens-basketball-recruiting/ca/los-angeles/fairfax-high-school/olisaemeka-nwachie

He plays center.  Offensive skills are RAW and he rushes a lot of shots, but looks to be a legit 6'6 with a solid body (listed 6'8 220, but the 6'8 is probably generous).  Moves well on D and plays low (will be able to cover the three after a year or two), good hands on offense, very good passer, and his team looks extremely well-coached attacking the 2-3...fundamentally sound across the board.   He looks good in the middle of the zone offense.  On D he got beat a few times of the bounce rotating over to cover guards, but it was due to poor technique too far from the basket.  At first look, he kind of reminds me of Kevin Freeman the old Uconn PF.

Overall in this game he looks like he doesn't hustle as much as I hoped for, but has some really explosive sequences on the glass and has a powerful lower body.  I'm a  little disappointed after watching this video because I wanted a brawler, but he might be the kind of kid that could turn into that player in college now that he isn't being called on to score and will have to adopt a different mentality.  That's his only path to possibly starting or playing a key role in a few years and then playing overseas.  Get him to buy into that role and we might have something.

Craig Smith averaged 20.7 and 11.3 for Fairfax and was very under-recruited.  He's clearly no Craig Smith on offense, though.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 11:13:43 PM by Marillac »

Poison

« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2014, 11:19:06 PM »

I'll take Nwachie. It's so early, but I'd rank them:  Nwachie>Stewart>Lipscomb>Henderson   

Did a little search and found out that both Stewart and Nwachie were 2nd team All-Western League as juniors, and Nwachie was 1st team as a senior while Stewart was a 2nd team honoree again.  There was so much talent on both of those teams for them to go under the radar.  Lindsey Drew, Larry's little brother, is the #24 PG in the country and is undecided beginning his senior season at Fairfax.  I like what I see.

Also saw that Nwachie went for 19 pts and 18 boards against top 100 PG Tra Holder's Brentwood team.  Averaged 17 and 8 as a senior.  Here is a full game of him:  http://www.ncsasports.org/mens-basketball-recruiting/ca/los-angeles/fairfax-high-school/olisaemeka-nwachie

He plays center.  Offensive skills are RAW and he rushes a lot of shots, but looks to be a legit 6'6 with a solid body (listed 6'8 220, but the 6'8 is probably generous).  Moves well on D and plays low (will be able to cover the three after a year or two), good hands on offense, very good passer, and his team looks extremely well-coached attacking the 2-3...fundamentally sound across the board.   He looks good in the middle of the zone offense.  On D he got beat a few times of the bounce rotating over to cover guards, but it was due to poor technique too far from the basket.  At first look, he kind of reminds me of Kevin Freeman the old Uconn PF.

Overall in this game he looks like he doesn't hustle as much as I hoped for, but has some really explosive sequences on the glass and has a powerful lower body.  I'm a  little disappointed after watching this video because I wanted a brawler, but he might be the kind of kid that could turn into that player in college now that he isn't being called on to score and will have to adopt a different mentality.  That's his only path to possibly starting or playing a key role in a few years and then playing overseas.  Get him to buy into that role and we might have something.

Craig Smith averaged 20.7 and 11.3 for Fairfax and was very under-recruited.  He's clearly no Craig Smith on offense, though.

Henderson is leagues better than Lipscomb. He might be better than Greene and Branch too.

Moose

« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2014, 11:19:32 PM »
Hey Marillac

Your new man crush didn't play a minute in the scrimmage. :)
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2014, 11:27:56 PM »
Hey Marillac

Your new man crush didn't play a minute in the scrimmage. :)
by reading marillac's review you'd think the guy also played tight end for the giants