Keith Thomas Impact

• 182 replies

paultzman

Keith Thomas Impact
« on: October 20, 2014, 03:50:35 PM »
This guy is a Fox writer and owes Marillac $. :)

@ReidForgrave: Watching @StJohnsRedStorm practice. New name will make big impact: Keith Thomas, who led jucos in rebounding last year. Big, tough, worker.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 03:57:43 PM by paultzman »

Marillac

Re: Keith Thomas Impact
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 07:28:04 PM »
This guy is a Fox writer and owes Marillac $. :)

@ReidForgrave: Watching @StJohnsRedStorm practice. New name will make big impact: Keith Thomas, who led jucos in rebounding last year. Big, tough, worker.

I love seeing posts like these.  Give him a hard hat and send him to work.

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 12:10:24 PM »
KT = Mitchell Foster

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 01:16:04 PM »
We need him to rebound, play defense in the post and provide some scoring.
I am really high on what Keith brings to the team...

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 01:21:57 PM »
KT = Mitchell Foster
We are going to need more than that out of Thomas. I liked Foster but he was a 4 and 4 guy.

Poison

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 02:53:27 PM »
KT = Mitchell Foster
We are going to need more than that out of Thomas. I liked Foster but he was a 4 and 4 guy.

Looks more like Grady Reynolds to me.

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 04:42:31 PM »
The next Charles Oakley?
Rebound, play hard defense, sacrifice his body (Charles dove out of bounds for loose balls), and when someone comes in the lane for a layup, put him on his ass.
Get a few buckets too.

Marillac

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 07:54:55 PM »
KT = Mitchell Foster

Looks more like Grady Reynolds to me.

I once rode to the Bronx Zoo with Grad Reynolds and Showtime in Showtime's SUV for an environmental biology class.  Weird ride.

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2014, 08:29:08 PM »
He definitely is not in game shape right now but has a nose for the ball off misses.  I liked what I saw but not sure he can play big minutes right away given his conditioning.  Whitesell says seemed to indicate that he and Adonis would battle for minutes and that they might play small ball until the new bigs get up to speed.

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2014, 08:41:03 PM »
He definitely is not in game shape right now but has a nose for the ball off misses.  I liked what I saw but not sure he can play big minutes right away given his conditioning.  Whitesell says seemed to indicate that he and Adonis would battle for minutes and that they might play small ball until the new bigs get up to speed.

Howd did Jones and Amar look?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2014, 08:47:01 PM »
Jones had knee surgery a few weeks ago.  Lavin did not indicate when he would be back.

Amar looked like a rotation player to me.  He's about 6'9 and strong with a very smooth 3 point stroke.  He seems like the kind of kid who could make a big impact the second half of the season.  I liked what I saw - he is a big east level player

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2014, 08:52:12 PM »
Jones had knee surgery a few weeks ago.  Lavin did not indicate when he would be back.

Amar looked like a rotation player to me.  He's about 6'9 and strong with a very smooth 3 point stroke.  He seems like the kind of kid who could make a big impact the second half of the season.  I liked what I saw - he is a big east level player

I will say that Whitesell did not cite him as a guy who would definitely be getting minutes.  My first impression was that he could play significant minutes at the 4 - especially if Jones is not in the rotation. 

If I had to guess, I'd say that we might start small early in the year - Obekpa, Pointer, Harrison, Greene, Jordan - then move Thomas and Amar into the mix as the season progresses.  Just my $0.02

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2014, 12:08:58 AM »
this guy impressed me with his work ethic. He hustled up and down the floor every single time!!! He also had a knack to get his hands on every missed shot
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 08:38:24 AM by Redman#13 »

Moose

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2014, 12:16:18 AM »
Love the time he couldn't get his hands on a rebound so volleyed it out towards mid court and we re-started the offense.
Remember who broke the Slice news

desco80

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2014, 01:36:31 PM »

Thomas needs some conditioning before he can play big minutes?   Interesting

« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2014, 01:47:05 PM »

Very interesting, considering how built he looks.

Gotta remember cardio Keith!

Poison

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2014, 05:21:18 PM »

I will say that Whitesell did not cite him as a guy who would definitely be getting minutes.  My first impression was that he could play significant minutes at the 4 - especially if Jones is not in the rotation. 

If I had to guess, I'd say that we might start small early in the year - Obekpa, Pointer, Harrison, Greene, Jordan - then move Thomas and Amar into the mix as the season progresses.  Just my $0.02

Lavin mentioned Obekpa, Pointer, Harrison, Greene and Jordan as a line up that would press. I like it.

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2014, 05:41:40 PM »
Just one practice/scrimmage, so who knows.  But he was noticeably slow in transition for a guy who was really active on the boards and was just as winded as Adonis was. 

Poison

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2014, 06:12:06 PM »
Just one practice/scrimmage, so who knows.  But he was noticeably slow in transition for a guy who was really active on the boards and was just as winded as Adonis was. 

I hear ya. Lavin did say that this was first practice at the Garden, and that the new guys are getting acclimated to this level of basketball. Keith Thomas went from guarding the center on Monroe College and Laguardia to Chris Obekpa, a guy with 2 years of experience and more blocks than anyone in the history of our program.

I think he will definitely help us, but I also think it will take him some time before he's playing at a BE level. Those who compared him to Ty Grant are nuts. He's nothing like Ty. Much more like Ron Roberts. Grant would throw crazy up and unders and his footwork inside was great. Asking that of Thomas isn't fair.

Tiznow

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2014, 08:00:37 PM »
If he plays as well as he presented himself during the fan interactions he will make first team BE.