Keith Thomas Impact

• 182 replies
Re: Keith Thomas Impact
« Reply #120 on: October 29, 2014, 10:02:03 PM »
The Red Storm?? Since the Lavin era began how about the Red Clowns?? What a joke of a program.

Contingent on your application for the mascot position

Great comeback. The truth must really hurt eh Buddy?  That's what most of the country thinks about the Lavin circus that is now your  program. It has evolved into what it is and unfortunately it is what it is. With all of the hoopla and coverage SJU receives your program is the epitome of underachievement and has been so for years. I wish that such was not the case. It lacks integrity. It's a black mark on your school. Learn to live with it Pal.

What team do you root for?
He's an Iona fan. Don't feed

What difference does that make? I'm a NYC local basketball fan. Remember when St. John's was a legit national power. It had a roster of NYC talent and it captured the city. Not a collection of national recruits who seem to care more about their pro futures than working cohesively as a team. You need to get back to your past formula of success. I don't see where that's being disrespectful to your team. Lavin is a pox. Get someone who can recruit the best local talent. Get someone who can develop their talent and show them how to win as a team.  It's really about winning vs recruiting. If you want to call me a troll that's your right as it's your board. But the results of each season speak for themselves and are reflected in your RPI which is an objective - not subjective - indicator.

« Reply #121 on: October 29, 2014, 10:10:51 PM »
The Red Storm?? Since the Lavin era began how about the Red Clowns?? What a joke of a program.

Great comeback. The truth must really hurt eh Buddy?  That's what most of the country thinks about the Lavin circus that is now your  program. It has evolved into what it is and unfortunately it is what it is. With all of the hoopla and coverage SJU receives your program is the epitome of underachievement and has been so for years. I wish that such was not the case. It lacks integrity. It's a black mark on your school. Learn to live with it Pal.

What difference does that make? I'm a NYC local basketball fan. Remember when St. John's was a legit national power. It had a roster of NYC talent and it captured the city. Not a collection of national recruits who seem to care more about their pro futures than working cohesively as a team. You need to get back to your past formula of success. I don't see where that's being disrespectful to your team. Lavin is a pox. Get someone who can recruit the best local talent. Get someone who can develop their talent and show them how to win as a team.  It's really about winning vs recruiting. If you want to call me a troll that's your right as it's your board. But the results of each season speak for themselves and are reflected in your RPI which is an objective - not subjective - indicator.
[/quote

Troll

Tiznow

« Reply #122 on: October 29, 2014, 10:50:10 PM »
If a member of the coaching staff altered his transcript what are the chances that his stats were not inflated.

I'd say zero.

« Reply #123 on: October 29, 2014, 11:29:29 PM »
If a member of the coaching staff altered his transcript what are the chances that his stats were not inflated.

I'd say zero.
Maybe they moved the decimal point and he only averaged 1.57 rebs

DFF6

« Reply #124 on: October 29, 2014, 11:39:45 PM »
  I'm a Briscoe to UK away from not giving 2 craps about this program anymore.

Looks like you're about to save two craps.

Briscoe is absolutely hearing all of this, and given our chances of landing him were always contingent on what the team would look like when he came here, losing Thomas can't help our chances.

If I texted Briscoe right now and asked him who Keith Thomas was he'd have no clue.

Problem is, Dave, that there will likely be people; namely folks trying to persuade Briscoe from coming hear, that will use Thomas' debacle to disuade Briscoe from coming here.  Of course I'm speculating (like all of us here do), but we don't have the deep bench of Uconn or Ky. Losing a potential starter in 2015 just adds more uncertainty to what kind of team SJU will be able to put on the floor next year, and Briscoe has said that is an important consideration for him.

« Reply #125 on: October 30, 2014, 12:55:31 AM »

Briscoe is absolutely hearing all of this, and given our chances of landing him were always contingent on what the team would look like when he came here, losing Thomas can't help our chances.

If I texted Briscoe right now and asked him who Keith Thomas was he'd have no clue.

Problem is, Dave, that there will likely be people; namely folks trying to persuade Briscoe from coming hear, that will use Thomas' debacle to disuade Briscoe from coming here.  Of course I'm speculating (like all of us here do), but we don't have the deep bench of Uconn or Ky. Losing a potential starter in 2015 just adds more uncertainty to what kind of team SJU will be able to put on the floor next year, and Briscoe has said that is an important consideration for him.

Time  for Lavin and the coaching to go out and secure players.  We offer tons of playing time.  If Briscoe wants good players around him go out and get some.  How hard can it be.

ForeverYoung

• king and the pawn end up in the same box
« Reply #126 on: October 30, 2014, 01:23:52 AM »
I think Keith Thomas is being blown out of proportion.  He didn't play 1 official minute and you guys make a superstar out of the kid.
On the bright side----Don't stress over Briscoe.  He will be at SJU in the fall.   Patience. 

« Reply #127 on: October 30, 2014, 02:13:50 AM »

Your speculation has a lot of fantasy. Reality is that it doesn't matter. It's fine.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #128 on: October 30, 2014, 05:40:53 AM »

How about the 'Red Flags'

DFF6

« Reply #129 on: October 30, 2014, 06:48:02 AM »

Your speculation has a lot of fantasy. Reality is that it doesn't matter. It's fine.

Hope you're right.

paultzman

« Reply #130 on: October 30, 2014, 08:04:09 AM »
I think Keith Thomas is being blown out of proportion.  He didn't play 1 official minute and you guys make a superstar out of the kid.
On the bright side----Don't stress over Briscoe.  He will be at SJU in the fall.   Patience. 

ForeverWrong, no one was implying Thomas was a superstar. Most thought his rugged play and rebounding proficiency in JUCO ranks would help fill a void. Those complementary skills were praised by the very coach you seem to admire in the press release below. Hyperbole or accurate assessment?

http://www.redstormsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/070714aaa.html

paultzman

« Reply #131 on: October 30, 2014, 12:12:47 PM »
@TheBBallDiary: Hearing Westchester Community College basketball program has been suspended. #juco

Shocking! 😉

paultzman

« Reply #132 on: October 30, 2014, 12:27:47 PM »
@NYPost_Brazille: College coach who was recruiting Keith Thomas in spring said transcript was a mess when he saw it, and never offered as result. #sjubb

« Reply #133 on: October 30, 2014, 12:45:25 PM »
If you want to win you have to take risks.

I don't think Providence fans mind Ed Cooley swinging and missing on a few recruits in exchange for Big East championship.

I don't think Providence fans mind Ed Cooley swinging and missing on a few recruits in exchange for Big East championship.

This is true, but the issue really is that Lavin sat on his you-know-what for the most part with 2014 class then scrambled in Spring to fill what was some really important minutes and positions.  If he had done his legwork with the 2014 class earlier on, he may have been able to secure a player that was much more of a sure-thing to play and not put the program in the position of having a dicey qualifier that was expected to play major minutes.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

Foad

« Reply #134 on: October 30, 2014, 01:38:23 PM »

This is true, but the issue really is that Lavin sat on his you-know-what for the most part with 2014 class then scrambled in Spring to fill what was some really important minutes and positions.  If he had done his legwork with the 2014 class earlier on, he may have been able to secure a player that was much more of a sure-thing to play and not put the program in the position of having a dicey qualifier that was expected to play major minutes.

Saint John's fans wouldn't mind exchanging a few swings and misses for a BE championship either. What they mind is lots of swings and misses in exchange for NIT first round blow out losses.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #135 on: October 30, 2014, 01:59:28 PM »

Saint John's fans wouldn't mind exchanging a few swings and misses for a BE championship either. What they mind is lots of swings and misses in exchange for NIT first round blow out losses.

Not just swigs and misses but players constantly ruled ineligable...it looks like we have no clue on players with red flags...At some point it's not just bad luck when you have players that have some weird issues../

It's like somebody who complains that they always seem to date crazy people...At the end of the day it's a you problem because you keep finding these people.
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #136 on: October 30, 2014, 04:57:06 PM »
@NYPost_Brazille: College coach who was recruiting Keith Thomas in spring said transcript was a mess when he saw it, and never offered as result. #sjubb

If it's the Fordham coach he is full of s&$@.

Poison

« Reply #137 on: October 30, 2014, 05:41:20 PM »

Tim Cluess is one the best recruiters of scorers that I've ever seen in the NY area. He's also one of the worst strategists I've ever seen. Every local coach, even the good ones are flawed. I don't know what you expect St.John's to be, but they were a few points in 1/2 games last year from being in the dance. I'm not thrilled w our results, but now is not the time to be complaining. We have a lot of experience and a lot of talent.

redslope

« Reply #138 on: October 30, 2014, 05:42:10 PM »
Not that he is a replacement for Thomas at present but could the "Late" recruiting of Amar been a result of the potentiality of irregularities with respect to Keith's records.  While Amar will not get all of Keith's projected minutes but maybe he goes from 4mpg to 15mpg and ADR goes from 5 to 14 and Joey goes from 2 to 6.  Must do a novena for CO to remain healthy, strong and foul free as he will get as many minutes as he can handle

Poison

« Reply #139 on: October 30, 2014, 05:52:47 PM »
Not that he is a replacement for Thomas at present but could the "Late" recruiting of Amar been a result of the potentiality of irregularities with respect to Keith's records.  While Amar will not get all of Keith's projected minutes but maybe he goes from 4mpg to 15mpg and ADR goes from 5 to 14 and Joey goes from 2 to 6.  Must do a novena for CO to remain healthy, strong and foul free as he will get as many minutes as he can handle

I think Amar will need to be a PF. Thankfully, he's a much bigger dude than I thought. He might not board like Thomas, but he'll score more than him.