• 46 replies
For those bridge jumpers..
« on: October 29, 2014, 07:31:28 PM »
C - 6'10 220
F- 6-8 195
F -6'7 205
G- 6'0 175
G - 6'1 175

Thats the starting 5 for last years uconn NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP team. And we are worried that our size up front will limit us from making the dance? Take a step back. We have a legitimate starting center, two really big guards who are fantastic rebounders for their position, a senior SF, and 3 other guys who though may lack experience do not, in the least bit, lack size. Not to mention two more senior guards.

C- 6'10 236
F- 6'6 192
G - 6'4 20
G- 6'2 187
G - 6'4 193

Put in either Jones or Amar at the 4 and we are bigger than what they rolled out.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
Re: For those bridge jumpers..
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 07:37:24 PM »
Talent wise the same? UCONN has had a track record of success, SJU has not. If we were in be tournament last season or the program under Lavin has stabilized, I would back off from the cliff. As of right now this just seems like more dark clouds coming to SJU basketball. I am hoping to have egg on my face in March and say I overreacted....

There are just too many things that consistently happen to this program, that is drama and weird.
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 07:40:19 PM »
Talent wise the same? UCONN has had a track record of success, SJU has not. If we were in be tournament last season or the program under Lavin has stabilized, I would back off from the cliff. As of right now this just seems like more dark clouds coming to SJU basketball. I am hoping to have egg on my face in March and say I overreacted....

There are just too many things that consistently happen to this program, that is drama and weird.

Talent is not the issue people are having with the roster. The size up front is.

And besides that, no, I dont think Phil Nolan and Niels GIffey are more talented than Jones and Pointer.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 07:41:51 PM by Amaseinyourface2 »

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 07:43:29 PM »

Talent is not the issue people are having with the roster. The size up front is.

Talent can make up for size and in a one and done tournament teams UCONN was getting pounded in a 7 game series, the wear and tear is not as bad. Some luck helps too. SJU just continues to be unlucky...
Cougar O' Malley

cjfish

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 08:39:27 PM »
THe only thing that will change our luck is to bring back Louie.  Get him a recliner and sit him next to Keady.   We need him in the timeout huddles being as hyper as possible given his age.

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 09:39:34 AM »
C - 6'10 220
F- 6-8 195
F -6'7 205
G- 6'0 175
G - 6'1 175

Thats the starting 5 for last years uconn NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP team. And we are worried that our size up front will limit us from making the dance? Take a step back. We have a legitimate starting center, two really big guards who are fantastic rebounders for their position, a senior SF, and 3 other guys who though may lack experience do not, in the least bit, lack size. Not to mention two more senior guards.

C- 6'10 236
F- 6'6 192
G - 6'4 20
G- 6'2 187
G - 6'4 193

Put in either Jones or Amar at the 4 and we are bigger than what they rolled out.

Huh? if anything this shows you do need size up front 6'10, 6'8, 6'7 is a big difference from 6'10, 6'6, 6'4.

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 03:00:17 PM »
C - 6'10 220
F- 6-8 195
F -6'7 205
G- 6'0 175
G - 6'1 175

C- 6'10 236
F- 6'6 192
G - 6'4 20
G- 6'2 187
G - 6'4 193

Huh? if anything this shows you do need size up front 6'10, 6'8, 6'7 is a big difference from 6'10, 6'6, 6'4.

I used the line up if we had pointer at the 4. Not my favorite lineup. If its Jones than we are just as big. Really bigger when you consider, Nolan, Giffey, and Daniels were twigs, plus our guards are much bigger.

SJUFAN

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 03:29:11 PM »
C - 6'10 220
F- 6-8 195
F -6'7 205
G- 6'0 175
G - 6'1 175

C- 6'10 236
F- 6'6 192
G - 6'4 20
G- 6'2 187
G - 6'4 193

I used the line up if we had pointer at the 4. Not my favorite lineup. If its Jones than we are just as big. Really bigger when you consider, Nolan, Giffey, and Daniels were twigs, plus our guards are much bigger.

Can't measure toughness.

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2014, 04:07:37 PM »
I still think there's a big difference between 6'10, 6'8, 6'7, 6'0, 6'1 and 6'10, 6'7, 6'4, 6'2, 6'4.

Being 6'7 at the 3 is a big difference than 6'4 and since you're most likely going to see pointer at the 4 anyway it doesn't really matter.

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2014, 04:14:33 PM »
It would have been nice to have someone to rebound, and it would have been nice to have some frontcourt depth, and pointer is nowhere near the offensive threat of sampson, but I think the starting 5 with pointer at the 4 is fine.  With decent coaching I could see it being top 3 in the big east and winning a tournament game.  So we'll have to see if the coaching is decent

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2014, 06:16:28 PM »
Don't panic, don't panic. We just getting started don't panic.

Wods317

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2014, 06:22:00 PM »
This year will hinge on the play of Jordan and Obepka, that hasn't changed. We have a great back court, If AA and Jones can provide quality minutes and contribute off the bench we will be fine. We will go as far as the back court and the big man can take us, we aren't much worse off then a few days ago. Let's see how the team plays before we freak out, Thomas never played one Big East game not like we lost an all league player.

QuanMan

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2014, 07:58:05 PM »
At it's core, this team is terrific. Dee and Sheed are amongst the best 100 players in the country this year, Obekpa will possibly be on the fringe of that season's end. Bottom line, the frontline depth took a hit, but I truly think that this unit can withstand it.

What people are sleeping on is the overall maturity and experience that our guards have. Harrison and Greene are ready to lead, they are going to be the captains by example. They are a cohesive and determined unit. One game wasn't played against an opponent with Keith to measure themselves and truly know what they're missing. The timing of his expulsion is huge for the psyche, if this were to happen in mid-December there would be reason to panic.

These guys have been in the gym working on their games all summer long. Measurable improvement will be seen throughout a roster that produced 20 wins last season, that's exciting. We have added 2 physical 7 footers and 2 redshirts that have been in this program for 3 years to our core.

This week is now in the past, practice has continued, drills and sets are still being designed. The staff still has a generous amount of time for to form an identity, renew chemistry, and amplify intensity before the NIT test. This is still the offseason!

Bring on Minnesota, bring on Gonzaga, I'm ready to go to war with this unit. One week ago, a BE regular season and conference title was the goal at media day. A JUCO PF that hadn't played one D1 game shouldn't change that for these players or anyone else.
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2014, 08:00:19 PM »
I mean I'm disappointed in both Keith who seemed like a decent kid at the open practice and the staff but I still like our chances this season. I believe in these kids.

I'll allow you all to first guess me.

ras

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2014, 08:28:15 PM »
At it's core, this team is terrific. Dee and Sheed are amongst the best 100 players in the country this year, Obekpa will possibly be on the fringe of that season's end. Bottom line, the frontline depth took a hit, but I truly think that this unit can withstand it.

What people are sleeping on is the overall maturity and experience that our guards have. Harrison and Greene are ready to lead, they are going to be the captains by example. They are a cohesive and determined unit. One game wasn't played against an opponent with Keith to measure themselves and truly know what they're missing. The timing of his expulsion is huge for the psyche, if this were to happen in mid-December there would be reason to panic.

These guys have been in the gym working on their games all summer long. Measurable improvement will be seen throughout a roster that produced 20 wins last season, that's exciting. We have added 2 physical 7 footers and 2 redshirts that have been in this program for 3 years to our core.

This week is now in the past, practice has continued, drills and sets are still being designed. The staff still has a generous amount of time for to form an identity, renew chemistry, and amplify intensity before the NIT test. This is still the offseason!

Bring on Minnesota, bring on Gonzaga, I'm ready to go to war with this unit. One week ago, a BE regular season and conference title was the goal at media day. A JUCO PF that hadn't played one D1 game shouldn't change that for these players or anyone else.
I hope  your right. But you forgot to mention we lost Sanchez,Gift and Sampson from last year.

desco80

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2014, 09:07:43 PM »

You should really write the press releases for this team.  Oh wait,...   ;)

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2014, 11:53:30 PM »
What does wagering huge amounts to show on odds-on favorites have to do with Sju basketball?

Good luck in Breeders cup all.

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2014, 11:58:39 PM »
They are a cohesive and determined unit. 

Seven months ago the same core, at present missing an Nba player mind you, was a no show in the BE and NIT tournaments.  Now they've miraculously morphed into a "cohesive and determined unit"?  That would be something.

Poison

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2014, 12:23:46 AM »

I don't think Thomas was going to be Ben Wallace, but St.John's has put this team at noticeable disadvantage before we've even played a game. They can blame it on WCC, Thomas or the coach that fired, but when it keeps happening, it's time to take a look in the mirror.

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2014, 10:58:24 AM »
Doomed...